Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Those jokes went in entirely separate directions, but I appreciated both posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Waffleman_ posted:

The movie's artbook has details of what the fifth through eighth forms of Godzilla would be and they're chilling af.

I would love to see a movie where Sixth Form Godzilla is the opponent. Maybe a Godzilla from a parallel Earth that got to that state and is now arriving on our Earth.

Legendary Godzilla vs. Shin Godzilla v6?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Bee posted:

I would love to see a movie where Sixth Form Godzilla is the opponent. Maybe a Godzilla from a parallel Earth that got to that state and is now arriving on our Earth.

That's Vs. Hedorah.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

magnificent7 posted:

I do not know where else to post this - it's a monster movie, (KONG SKULL ISLAND) and it starts out as the cheesy honest trailers, same as usual, except the movie director takes over, venting all the problems he had with the movie. And... and... holy poo poo.

Seems like the director is tired of Hollywood overproducing movies. Or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTFPCuQfvw

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Now I want to track down this artbook. Anyone know a good place to look?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Like he said, you are your own worst critic. I mean, he recently did a point by point rebuttal to the lovely CinemaSins video about Kong, so obviously he's proud of what he's done. I think he's just exaggerating his hindsight for comedic effect.

I'll applaud him for having more perspective and humility than Colin "Jurassic World and Book of Henry are flawless and I obviously deserve to direct Star Wars because I'm a mediocre white man who somehow got put on a Jurassic Park movie after making a single indie movie based on a meme" Trevorrow.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 8, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Like he said, you are your own worst critic. I mean, he recently did a point by point rebuttal to the lovely CinemaSins video about Kong

Link?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/897510402786971648

Here's a thread. It's not a rebuttal to the entire video, but he does go off.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
lol why would JVR watch a stupid cinemasins video, is he a masochist or something

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

lol why would JVR watch a stupid cinemasins video, is he a masochist or something

I'm sure it was a friend of his going "OH HEY LOOK AT THIS HILARIOUS VIDEO BRO" like my first exposure to that poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, the subject came up when Rian Johnson was talking about their Looper video.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
It seems to me more like he was throwing the script under the bus, and makes a point that the movie came out better than could be expected - more of a humble brag than anything else.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He should take pride that he does such a bad job making the 'flaws' of his movie sound like things he should actually have worried about.

Like, seriously? 'The cast are sometimes in different places! Also, Terry Notary shoots a monster and then feels bad about it, and it totally didn't need to be there but it was, and even though it worked completely from a thematic perspective, it still wasn't necessary!'

Love that man.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

JVR is part of a new generation of Directors who will build on brand on stuff like that. He's ability to reach out to fans and his transparency will make his career. In that way he's very much at the ahead of older but still fresh directors like Edwards, Trank and Trevorrow. Imagine is Snyder had this level of communication with fans and the critical world. He's brand might not be poison.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

PriorMarcus posted:

JVR is part of a new generation of Directors who will build on brand on stuff like that. He's ability to reach out to fans and his transparency will make his career. In that way he's very much at the ahead of older but still fresh directors like Edwards, Trank and Trevorrow. Imagine is Snyder had this level of communication with fans and the critical world. He's brand might not be poison.

You can't say Snyder's brand is poison when he's captured the hearts of the critical CineD demo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
And his movies make a lot of money.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tezcatlipoca posted:

And his movies make a lot of money.

So?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Poison brands usually don't make millions of dollars over and over and over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda ironic given it's a certain kind of brand engagement that's poisoned Joss Whedon's brands harder after the revelation that he fucks vulnerable women all the time. Which really shouldn't have been a surprise in context, but the theme of 2017 is the world being sucked into the Irony Dimension.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Poison brands usually don't make millions of dollars over and over and over.

His brand is poison among critics and reviewers. His films are financially successful. These are not contradictory statements.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Improbable Lobster posted:

His brand is poison among critics and reviewers. His films are financially successful. These are not contradictory statements.

Brands are about making money.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Also, that's on the critics not the brand. If you go into something predisposed to hating it regardless of content, then that's on you to overcome, not the brand.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Brands are about making money.

A brand being poison doesn't mean they aren't making money.

Jimbot posted:

Also, that's on the critics not the brand. If you go into something predisposed to hating it regardless of content, then that's on you to overcome, not the brand.

What the gently caress are you even trying to say here

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A brand being poison doesn't mean they aren't making money.

That's literally the only thing that means.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's literally the only thing that means.

Right. What's the actual concern here, the brand, or the art?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Right. What's the actual concern here, the brand, or the art?

It's an objective confirmation of my theory that people can only articulate their feelings in terms of imagined box office.

'Suicide Squad was a massive hit, but I feel like it lost money.'

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

What the gently caress are you even trying to say here

Any critique a piece of media that is not based on its content is meaningless as critique.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 9, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

'Suicide Squad was a massive hit, but I feel like it lost money.'

'People use RT specifically so that they don't have to actually read film criticism, but I feel like criticism still matters in the marketplace.'

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

eh, Zack Snyder is a talented cinematographer who directs movies based on properties that have strong pre-existing fanbases, turning them into bland but pretty summer blockbuster popcorn flicks that the main public flock to, but in turn alienate that same original fanbase. It's kinda formulaic at this point.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

eh, Zack Snyder is a talented cinematographer who directs movies based on properties that have strong pre-existing fanbases, turning them into bland but pretty summer blockbuster popcorn flicks that the main public flock to, but in turn alienate that same original fanbase. It's kinda formulaic at this point.

I don't think this has anything to do with the director, there has never been a franchise that has had fan approval throughout each iteration. The problem is that people change, fans of the "original" wouldn't like the "original" if they saw it today vs when they were 12 years old. We have a term for it, when movies we thought were good but were really bad, they "don't hold up".

Consider this, there are probably more fans of the prequel star wars films than of the original trilogy. Just as there will be more fans of the current generation of Star Wars films than of any of the previous films.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Choco1980 posted:

"Blad but pretty blockbuster popcorn flick" is the last term I'd use to describe Snyder films.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The only reason Snyder came up was because PM said his brand was poison, contrasting his communication to his core demographic with that of Vogt-Roberts.

The contention is not whether Snyder's films are critically well-received or whether even the mass audience is fond of him. The contention is that this isn't what a 'brand poison' means. What people mean is that Zack Snyder is a punching bag, like how Michael Bay and Kanye West are punching bags, even though all three of their brands are fine.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

K. Waste posted:

The only reason Snyder came up was because PM said his brand was poison, contrasting his communication to his core demographic with that of Vogt-Roberts.

The contention is not whether Snyder's films are critically well-received or whether even the mass audience is fond of him. The contention is that this isn't what a 'brand poison' means. What people mean is that Zack Snyder is a punching bag, like how Michael Bay and Kanye West are punching bags, even though all three of their brands are fine.

Yeah, like I said, the main public flocks to his stuff...making him anything BUT brand poison. He just gets a bad rep because of how he disenfranchises the fans that made the property noteworthy beforehand. To bring it on topic, imagine if the 1998 Godzilla was a huge success with the main public but us Big G fans stayed pissed because, rightfully so, it strays so far from what makes a Godzilla a Godzilla. That's basically what Snyder does with stuff like Superman.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

ElCondemn posted:

I don't think this has anything to do with the director, there has never been a franchise that has had fan approval throughout each iteration. The problem is that people change, fans of the "original" wouldn't like the "original" if they saw it today vs when they were 12 years old. We have a term for it, when movies we thought were good but were really bad, they "don't hold up".

Also known as "The Krull Effect".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dr. Benway posted:

Also known as "The Krull Effect".

This was weird to read since that's my surname.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Schwarzwald posted:

Any critique a piece of media that is not based on its content is meaningless as critique.

Good thing I was making an observation on review trends and public perception instead of a critique.

CineD is the last place I expected people to try to play the more money = better than card.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

CineD is the last place I expected people to try to play the more money = better than card.

Nobody has posted this. You are the one doubling-down on PM's bad hypothetical in which Zack Snyder could mitigate his poisoned brand by taking cue from Vogt-Roberts and having a more engaged and self-deprecating social media persona.

Your understanding of what 'brand poison' means is stretched to include aspects of pop culture in which a brand is critically panned and popularly mocked, but not actually economically 'poisonous', in other words, not actually deleterious to whoever's putting their money up for it. Zack Snyder is a punching bag, but his brand is fine.

You've now gotten so far away from this rather basic misconception that you are now imagining people are posting "Snyder's films make lots of money, therefore they are good." You are the one invested in this correlation between the popularity/quality of Snyder's films and them being 'brand poison.' What people are actually saying is that you don't know what you're saying, or are imagining things. Snyder's brand is not poison.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

Nobody has posted this. You are the one doubling-down on PM's bad hypothetical in which Zack Snyder could mitigate his poisoned brand by taking cue from Vogt-Roberts and having a more engaged and self-deprecating social media persona.

Your understanding of what 'brand poison' means is stretched to include aspects of pop culture in which a brand is critically panned and popularly mocked, but not actually economically 'poisonous', in other words, not actually deleterious to whoever's putting their money up for it. Zack Snyder is a punching bag, but his brand is fine.

You've now gotten so far away from this rather basic misconception that you are now imagining people are posting "Snyder's films make lots of money, therefore they are good." You are the one invested in this correlation between the popularity/quality of Snyder's films and them being 'brand poison.' What people are actually saying is that you don't know what you're saying, or are imagining things. Snyder's brand is not poison.

I'm rubber and you are glue

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

I'm rubber and you are glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moJKzxyqJao&t=4634s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally saw Kong: Skull Island. I liked it a lot. I hope they somehow work Gamera into all this craziness. It's time for the Guardian of the Universe and Friend to All Children to be on the big screen once again.