Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Novum posted:

Why do you hate your friends?

because they're bigger than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I know there is a combat Q and A thread but I figure I'd ask in here first since this thread gets a lot more traffic. Does anyone know of a good book on the history of martial arts? Grappling and striking. I don't want a narrow modern focused book or some thing that talks about millennia old shaolin monks levitating or anything like that but a well researched look into martial arts role in society and culture starting from recorded human history.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The elbow lever is a neat one. Start in side control. Using your hip-side hand, reach cross body and sloth grip the tricep. At that point, you can pull the tricep in and grind the elbow down into the solar plexus. It makes people kinda crunch up a bit and opens up things because it pins the body down and allows you to posture up. The guy who showed it to me would use it would cut over the head into a kneeling north-south and get a straight arm bar on the nearside arm under his armpit.

Oh yeah, that one. :smith: (I hate it).

It also leads into a position our gym calls the Russian crush, which is basically that position in north-south where you're, for lack of a better term, slicering their shoulder.

If you were dynamic and athletic (which I am not) you could get that Armbar for sure, similar to the Armbar you can get from knee on belly when they attempt to push your knee off of their belly and you spin into an Armbar.

(phone wants to capitalize Armbar :shrug)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Yesterday was my second day back on the mat and it was most definitely ultra heavyweight day at the gym. A purple, 2 browns (including me), and 2 black belts all over 225lbs. Rolled with all of them and woke up this morning with my back feeling fine.

I am a happy happy man

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
As a black belt, I never complain about anyone going rough or using weigh or pressure or strength. However, certain things will escalate the roll for me. I have a bad neck and if anyone tries to put a can opener on me, it's no longer a casual roll and I will go full speed including popping on subs.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What are your go-to combos from closed guard in no-gi? I can hit all the moves in a basic sense but I can't chain them together into anything rational against decent opponents.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What are your go-to combos from closed guard in no-gi? I can hit all the moves in a basic sense but I can't chain them together into anything rational against decent opponents.

Frame into technical standup, the ultimate combo

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

High guard climbs or transition to williams guard, hit the armbar/triangle/omoplata options from there. The Williams guard DVD is pretty good btw, the whole first dvd is just hand fighting methods from closed guard.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Hip bump sweep to triangle is absolute money.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Shoulder lock. Look for triangles from there. I have a really strong closed guard in nogi so I can hang out there a long time if I want and that usually opens up bump sweep opportunities when people can't break my guard in a conventional way. Also if you're fishing for the shoulder lock and getting a lot of resistance I do a sequence where I use their pushing into me to throw that arm out breaking them down which allows me to unlock guard and swing up onto their back and get in hooks. I have no idea what that sequence is called but we were taught it at one point. I will look for kimuras from there but I find it to be not that productive (maybe I'm just crap at it). You can at least make people move and get a sweep though occasionally trying that.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I don't like closed guard much and usually spend my time there looking for sweeps :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I tend to go for an overhook shoulder lock and shrimp out to hunt for a sweep or the back, or I start working an arm bar as I have a pretty tight armbar off my back.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

bump sweep into kimura, triangle, guillotine, armbar, finish sweep etc, whatever they give me. I'm also partial to the powerful armbar into getting stacked in the armbar into meekly conceding position combination.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I overused the hip bump sweep to set stuff up. People just raise their hips to meet me now. I need to use it as not-my-opening-move.

There are lots of good ideas here. I'll start using the overhook more, and I'll see if I can use the technical standup as bait for some sweeps and subs. Even though he was kind of joking I realize you can probably catch guillotines/triangles/omoplatas/butterfly sweeps if they try to stop you standing and you're ready for it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I overused the hip bump sweep to set stuff up. People just raise their hips to meet me now. I need to use it as not-my-opening-move.

There are lots of good ideas here. I'll start using the overhook more, and I'll see if I can use the technical standup as bait for some sweeps and subs. Even though he was kind of joking I realize you can probably catch guillotines/triangles/omoplatas/butterfly sweeps if they try to stop you standing and you're ready for it.

How's your open guard?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's pretty good for my level, I think. I chase SLX and tripod sweeps, or I bait footlocks that I can confidently counter. I also have a decent x-guard and I can wrestle up to standing when it's appropriate.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's pretty good for my level, I think. I chase SLX and tripod sweeps, or I bait footlocks that I can confidently counter. I also have a decent x-guard and I can wrestle up to standing when it's appropriate.

I only ask because I find that open guard is way better for getting things done - people are too savvy to closed guard stuff, and it's easy to get stalled out in closed guard.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

By some fluke, we did some really slick overhook closed guard stuff tonight. Hipping out to get a butterfly hook in, sweeping directly into a brutal shoulder lock from the top, and the regular reverse armbar if you can't get the butterfly hook.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Spam triangles.

If you're constantly attacking their posture and moving your hips to create angles you'll create opportunities for attacks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

^^^ on this have you tried the hip bump triangle?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

By some fluke, we did some really slick overhook closed guard stuff tonight. Hipping out to get a butterfly hook in, sweeping directly into a brutal shoulder lock from the top, and the regular reverse armbar if you can't get the butterfly hook.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

CommonShore posted:

^^^ on this have you tried the hip bump triangle?

Yea, and I've found just that principal has lead to a lot of opportunities whenever they post out from other positions within the closed guard if I'm already hanging onto their head/shoulders.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Which way do you hip bump? Towards the overhook or away from it?

edit: away from the overhook as they're trying to pull it out?

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 5, 2017

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

First things first, I like to get my guard opened. Then, I like to let them pass into side control,. Then I've got them right where I want them.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Dr. Miracle posted:

First things first, I like to get my guard opened. Then, I like to let them pass into side control,. Then I've got them right where I want them.

then i give up my back, and let them start to set up an armbar, then I roll up and land in their guard.

It's a really long complicated sweep that earns them 7 points and me 0 but gets me on top nonetheless

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Which way do you hip bump? Towards the overhook or away from it?

edit: away from the overhook as they're trying to pull it out?

You hip bump and "accidentally" don't get a good grip on their arm, letting them post. At that point, your leg snakes out and drops over the shoulder of the pinned posting arm and the triangle snaps shut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yoaQjv2T4

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ch3cooh posted:

then i give up my back, and let them start to set up an armbar, then I roll up and land in their guard.

It's a really long complicated sweep that earns them 7 points and me 0 but gets me on top nonetheless

Sssh this is my entire game.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Sssh this is my entire game.

I'll do it to blue belts that I'm friendly with just to see the look in their eyes when I come on top and they realize that the entire time they thought were doing really well against a brown belt it was actually a long elaborate plan that they played along with all the way.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
just listening to faber on the rogan podcast and apparently he fought paulo miyao at sug4 in a jiu jitsu fight and it went to a draw.

also apparently mendes tapped jeff glover at sug3 earlier this year.

both of those results are crazy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ch3cooh posted:

I'll do it to blue belts that I'm friendly with just to see the look in their eyes when I come on top and they realize that the entire time they thought were doing really well against a brown belt it was actually a long elaborate plan that they played along with all the way.

I've gotten so good at defending lots of non-perfect submissions that I've become my gym's equivalent of Homer Simpson the boxer - I let my opponent attempt to submit me over and over until he becomes exhausted. Like this guy:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

just listening to faber on the rogan podcast and apparently he fought paulo miyao at sug4 in a jiu jitsu fight and it went to a draw.

also apparently mendes tapped jeff glover at sug3 earlier this year.

both of those results are crazy.

The Miyao match wasn't surprising really. it was no-gi and Paulo kinda just did his normal game and Urijah mostly ran away.

Mendes/Glover was Jeff playing around until over time and then he thought he won when he subbed Chad, jumped up celebrated and came back and realized Chad had a chance on his back.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Whats the name for the technique where if the opponent has butterfly you try to trap their arms with your arms lock your arms around their back to begin to pass? Shields does it a lot and I learned it recently but I'm blanking on the finer points

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I think Bravo calls it a galaxy bong

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I got another "dear god you're heavy" comment after practice :)

178 lbs of DOOM

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No-sub update

-Two of my bjj friends have said that my positional fighting from the bottom has gotten way better in recent weeks (i.e. since I started this experiment - I haven't told them what I'm doing). I'm starting to get much better at knee shield.

-I accidentally submitted a guy. I had his back and we were hand fighting. I wrapped his neck and grabbed his shoulder blade, but stopped there to give him a chance to peel my arm out and work an escape, but he was two-on-one on my non-choking arm. I didn't squeeze, but suddenly he tapped. I talked with him about it afterward, and he said that he was fighting the free arm because he didn't think a one-arm RNC was possible, so he thought he should try to prevent me from locking up. Then he realized that he was going to sleep just from my arm resting on his arteries.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

-I accidentally submitted a guy. I had his back and we were hand fighting. I wrapped his neck and grabbed his shoulder blade, but stopped there to give him a chance to peel my arm out and work an escape, but he was two-on-one on my non-choking arm. I didn't squeeze, but suddenly he tapped. I talked with him about it afterward, and he said that he was fighting the free arm because he didn't think a one-arm RNC was possible, so he thought he should try to prevent me from locking up. Then he realized that he was going to sleep just from my arm resting on his arteries.

Reminds me of when I first started and I thought just being in half-guard meant I was safe from all submissions. Any submission is possible if you do literally nothing to defend it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dave Grool posted:

...Any submission is possible if you do literally nothing to defend it.

I choked a dude with his own forearm from a low knee on belly as he sat up into a seated position.

It was the coolest thing I've ever done, and I'll never be able to do it again. :smith:

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Berimbolo question: Even though they're not legal in my rank, training partners keep grabbing the footlock on my non-DLR foot when I rotate under. I've caught a few of them by releasing the DLR leg and swinging around for the armbar, but it doesn't feel reliable enough for me. How do you more advanced players protect the foot that comes across the opponent's hips?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ihop posted:

Berimbolo question: Even though they're not legal in my rank, training partners keep grabbing the footlock on my non-DLR foot when I rotate under. I've caught a few of them by releasing the DLR leg and swinging around for the armbar, but it doesn't feel reliable enough for me. How do you more advanced players protect the foot that comes across the opponent's hips?

The first half of this video might be what you need? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pCKbDQt3_8

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 10, 2017

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That's useful, thanks! I've actually been doing more or less what he demonstrated, clearing the knee and straightening the leg. One of the issues I've been having is a particular brown belt who grabs my foot when I invert, and even though I don't feel much pressure from the submission he'll immediately release the hold and reset positions as though I had tapped. I think he is just being overly cautious of injuring me, but I feel like I'm not even given a chance to play with the position before he bails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ihop posted:

That's useful, thanks! I've actually been doing more or less what he demonstrated, clearing the knee and straightening the leg. One of the issues I've been having is a particular brown belt who grabs my foot when I invert, and even though I don't feel much pressure from the submission he'll immediately release the hold and reset positions as though I had tapped. I think he is just being overly cautious of injuring me, but I feel like I'm not even given a chance to play with the position before he bails.

Ask him if you could both positionally drill it a bit, I'd be curious to hear about the result.