Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

amigolupus posted:

Suddenly it all makes sense now. The knife, the lockpick, going into Raccoon City in the dead of the night. Claire was planning to break into her brother's place and steal all his performance-enhancing drugs!
Well, I was mostly thinking like all those ADHD medications students use to keep up in school, though I suppose Chris might have been trying to boost both brain and brawn. Umbrella probably had some real good poo poo on the market too, even if they clearly weren't getting high off their own supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS! YESSSSSSSSSS!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

If thread titles could somehow be an image, this is the image I would recommend using for this thread.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Good soup! posted:

It's funny that the later games say the outbreak happened across a longer period of time.

*drives through miles of destruction and zombies murdering people and finds a single dead body in the street*
"What have we got here???"

The zombies were very considerate and avoided all major transportation corridors heading into Raccoon City so any visitors wouldn't have any trouble.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

They are rage, brutal, without mercy.
But you. You will be worse.
Rip and tear, until it is done.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
The start of the Resident Evil story is a prime example of companies being run poorly. A bunch of poo poo starts going wrong and everyone just assumes someone else will handle it. Then the city is nuked.

I can only imagine the lay offs.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They don't have to bother with those because everyone gets turned into a zombie anyway. These are the guys that sent out a death squad to the city and then abandoned them, and apparently sent a death squad to deal with that death squad (and maybe another one to kill them? I have entirely forgotten if that was in ORC). I have to wonder if anyone in Umbrella actually gets a paycheck.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I feel like Hunk is probably the only Umbrella grunt who's ever lived long enough to bank his paycheck

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Someone in charge of hiring the death squads at Umbrella knocked a book onto their keyboard and didn't realise,before you know it you've got 50 death squads all trying to clean each other up,just mountains of bodies.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I feel like Hunk is probably the only Umbrella grunt who's ever lived long enough to bank his paycheck

Well yeah Hunk is the only guy in Resident Evil who thinks about what he's doing and comes properly equipped! He's the only guy wearing a gas mask when around biohazardous materials!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agoat posted:

The start of the Resident Evil story is a prime example of companies being run poorly. A bunch of poo poo starts going wrong and everyone just assumes someone else will handle it. Then the city is nuked.

The only people who would be getting laid off are middle management typed. The people that actually caused everything get to keep on keeping on :911:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Agoat posted:

Capcom?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Well yeah Hunk is the only guy in Resident Evil who thinks about what he's doing and comes properly equipped! He's the only guy wearing a gas mask when around biohazardous materials!

when he wakes up after the Birkin encounter he's just like "gently caress it, I've got what I came for" and peaces out ASAP and doesn't dick around

in CV, you find a note written by him and he's furious him and his team are around containers and aren't made aware of how dangerous they are when in transit

Hunk is one of the only people in the RE universe with a brain it seems

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We're lucky everyone in the RE verse loves leaving notes for strangers.

Including you, I guess, with the typewriter.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Lets all leave notes for survivors going forward on our late 90's type writers.

AGOAT A / 01 / BEDROOM

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNXQKbDyI0

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Len posted:

The only people who would be getting laid off are middle management typed. The people that actually caused everything get to keep on keeping on :911:

Well I mean they would but they keep injecting themselves for god knows what reason.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
you guys like Hunk, right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Uj3bT2NGw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

that's some good rear end RE dialogue too

why did they decide to give you the spark gun or whatever the gently caress all the way at the end of RE2, it makes killing Birkin trivial because I use exclusively that weapon and I have like 50 grenade rounds in reserve

I think after I beat LeonB I might beat CV again, I haven't played it in years and it has been sitting on my PS3 untouched for a while now

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It really started bothering me when I heard the RE4 inventory clicks in the RE2 menu.

Good soup! posted:

that's some good rear end RE dialogue too

why did they decide to give you the spark gun or whatever the gently caress all the way at the end of RE2, it makes killing Birkin trivial because I use exclusively that weapon and I have like 50 grenade rounds in reserve

I think after I beat LeonB I might beat CV again, I haven't played it in years and it has been sitting on my PS3 untouched for a while now

Can we get a Video Let's Play of your RE adventures?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Momomo posted:

They don't have to bother with those because everyone gets turned into a zombie anyway. These are the guys that sent out a death squad to the city and then abandoned them, and apparently sent a death squad to deal with that death squad (and maybe another one to kill them? I have entirely forgotten if that was in ORC).

RE3: they hire a who's-who of easily deniable, incredibly expendable mercenaries, most of whom they got out of prison for the job, to go into the city and rescue VIPs. If they have time after that, they're to rescue civilians. They do not succeed, even before Nicolai decides he could drive up his wages if he killed everyone else in the city.

What's odd about RE3 is that the guys you see in the UBCS who aren't Nicolai are generally well-meaning but basically set up to fail. I think it's Carlos who says at one point that the UBCS received almost no operational intelligence, so they had no idea they were being dropped into the middle of a zombie outbreak.

ORC: instead of leveraging the G-Virus to try and get on Umbrella's board of directors, Birkin goes to the feds, which results in Raccoon City's population doubling and they're all U.S. Special Forces troops. The Wolfpack gets screwed over for exfiltration, so they go rogue and start destroying everything Umbrella would prefer to preserve, which results in more goons and monsters being dropped into the city to stop them. I think.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wanderer posted:

RE3: they hire a who's-who of easily deniable, incredibly expendable mercenaries, most of whom they got out of prison for the job, to go into the city and rescue VIPs. If they have time after that, they're to rescue civilians. They do not succeed, even before Nicolai decides he could drive up his wages if he killed everyone else in the city.

What's odd about RE3 is that the guys you see in the UBCS who aren't Nicolai are generally well-meaning but basically set up to fail. I think it's Carlos who says at one point that the UBCS received almost no operational intelligence, so they had no idea they were being dropped into the middle of a zombie outbreak.

Carlos' line "We're just mercenaries; hired hands!" pretty much sums up why he and the rest of the UBCS were pretty much doomed from the start. Some higher-up at Umbrella's "Oh poo poo We Gotta Fix This" department (or maybe Chief Irons with a bag over his head*) most likely just said "go here and do stuff for a fat reward!", booted them out of the briefing room, and resumed eating his lunch. That was probably about it as far as their info went. No survivors (from any side) means no whistleblowing and no expenses! It's win-win! That and it looks like they tried to help with the situation should the incident gain unwanted attention from outside, but bleh whatever.

*Okay his face is hidden by shadows really, but as a kid I was convinced he had a bag over his head for some reason.

Lunethex posted:

It really started bothering me when I heard the RE4 inventory clicks in the RE2 menu.
I was more bothered by that bizarre choice of music in the streets to the point I almost stopped watching. Talk about an unfitting score; I almost expected a bunch of tribal Majini to leap at him from out of the windows and car wrecks. But hey, the knife doesn't look to completely suck and do nothing but take up space this time around! :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wanderer posted:

ORC: instead of leveraging the G-Virus to try and get on Umbrella's board of directors, Birkin goes to the feds, which results in Raccoon City's population doubling and they're all U.S. Special Forces troops. The Wolfpack gets screwed over for exfiltration, so they go rogue and start destroying everything Umbrella would prefer to preserve, which results in more goons and monsters being dropped into the city to stop them. I think.

I really don't know how he could leverage the G-virus in any way though. The T-virus makes zombies and monsters but none of them are indestructible so you can dump it on a populated area, wait for a bit and them mop up. The G-virus makes one nearly unstoppable monster bastard. If you can decouple the functional immortality from the monsterism it'd be useful, but no one in RE ever works out how to do that consistently.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Umbrella doesn't even like zombies, they're in the BOW business. Zombies are just a side effect from poor testing/leaks. From that perspective the G virus results are pretty great, more testing could have provided something closer to the C-virus which was easier to weaponize/control with some of the mutative power.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
So what's the pitch for the G virus then? Basically just Tyrants but the creation process results in fewer failures? I feel like the completely indestructible thing combined with the uncontrollable urge to reproduce would make it somewhat limited.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

It's not so much selling the virus itself, but the research that led to it so they can refine the thing into something actually useful. G's big advantages are the ridiculous regenerative/mutative ability, which no virus before or since has really matched. From what I understand they scienced up the C virus by using the G virus base and adding T-veronica which made the mutations easier to manage. Or something. Resident Evil virology is silly

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Can we get a Video Let's Play of your RE adventures?

I actually went back on what I said and realized I didn't beat REmake HD with Jill so I just started that the other night, I haven't beaten that scenario in a long time so yeah I guess I could do that, usually I take a break to :350: and joke about how stupid the characters are or why the plot is goofy as hell, poo poo like that so it would literally be my posting here (while dodging zombies like a PROFESSIONAL GAMER of course, only had to use a defensive item once in about an hour and a half of playing REmake)

only to get brutally owned by the first crimson head I saw hahaha gently caress

fake edit: TBH, I have never beaten RE0 and I was also put off by the sound of having to change characters or not having item boxes or whatever weird rear end stuff they changed, but I'm interested in how bad the story/dialogue can apparently get, so maybe I can start off with that next week and go through all of them in order

real life edit: perhaps I should include some weird poo poo and play through that Gun Survivor entry on PSOne, but I was planning on saving that for Extra Life

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 8, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The narrator's voice totally fits right in RE1, but I really didn't get far in. Modding the game like this is impressive, but what is up with that game balance? There's barely any ammo and enemy numbers have been jacked to bad romhack levels.

I always thought the endgame for the G-Virus would be to refine it to some sort of youth elixir. Market it as something to keep everyone youthful, but the effects wear off eventually so you have to keep buying their product.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

amigolupus posted:

The narrator's voice totally fits right in RE1, but I really didn't get far in. Modding the game like this is impressive, but what is up with that game balance? There's barely any ammo and enemy numbers have been jacked to bad romhack levels.

I always thought the endgame for the G-Virus would be to refine it to some sort of youth elixir. Market it as something to keep everyone youthful, but the effects wear off eventually so you have to keep buying their product.

If only Umbrella knew the health benefits of leeches to keep a youthful appearance.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

amigolupus posted:

It seemed like Hunk was dealing more damage than usual from what I saw. I don't find the insane enemy count to be clever game design, though I'm not sure you can do a lot given that everything in the background is pre rendered.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I noticed the damage has been pumped up too, but it's probably the modder thinking that Hunk is so cool and can totally headshot zombies everytime. I just thought it was impressive that the modder was able to make custom in-game cutscenes there. Too bad about the writing. :v:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

amigolupus posted:

I noticed the damage has been pumped up too, but it's probably the modder thinking that Hunk is so cool and can totally headshot zombies everytime. I just thought it was impressive that the modder was able to make custom in-game cutscenes there. Too bad about the writing. :v:

"I can't trust you"
"Actually you have to trust me but don't trust anyone else"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Agoat posted:

"I can't trust you"
"Actually you have to trust me but don't trust anyone else"
It just needed another pass for that proper RE feel:

"I can't! TRUST you"
"Trust me....you, can't, trust, ANYONE!"

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
The demo for Mortal Night was a lot worse. Seriously increased enemy count (which respawned), manufactured backtracking that made those respawns painful (i.e. There's enough items along a one-way path that you have to go back to an item box to get them all), and less items. It was even more of an exercise in pain, especially since I'm pretty sure you didn't even have the knife for when (not if) you ran out of ammo.

The part that sticks out to me the most is the West Squadroom, where you meet/kill Marvin in the base game. That room had something like twenty-five zombies in it, with a big group right near the door in. Guaranteed to remove most of your ammo, especially if you didn't know to search the zombie with a key item.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'd be all for adding more enemies if you could melee them and juke effectively but seeing as it's classic RE uhhhh lol

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Yeah, the US versions of RE2 with increased enemy count/HP is already annoying to speedrun compared to the JP version. Making it worse just looks terrible

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you could make it work with increased ammo pickups/inventory stacks, but i somehow doubt they bothered to balance anything.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Good soup! posted:

fake edit: TBH, I have never beaten RE0 and I was also put off by the sound of having to change characters or not having item boxes or whatever weird rear end stuff they changed, but I'm interested in how bad the story/dialogue can apparently get, so maybe I can start off with that next week and go through all of them in order

real life edit: perhaps I should include some weird poo poo and play through that Gun Survivor entry on PSOne, but I was planning on saving that for Extra Life

most of what is bad about RE0 is just really tedious and its really not enjoyably bad. i mean there's some stupid poo poo that happens but this is Resident Evil so it's not really noteworthy or exceptional in that fashion

Vakal
May 11, 2008
RE 0 could have been interesting if a majority of the game took place in the forest outside of Raccoon City. The new section in REmake where you have to go outside to Lisa's cabin was short, but very well done and creepy as hell.

But no, in RE0 you literally crash a train right into the side of another mansion.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RE0 should have been The Lady Vanishes: Zombie Edition the whole game.

I mean we have a cool train, an unlikely and bickering pairing in our protagonists, a big conspiracy...

All of the pieces are right there!