Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

il_cornuto posted:

You still have to get the achievement for beating him without getting hit though!

Have fun!

Ha, not likely. My old man reactions just aren't up to doing "perfect X" in any game these days. Or perhaps more to the point, that section was so un-fun I would never want to try.
I just got to another boss fight where I have to defeat many copies of the same person at once, and I failed a few times before going to bed but at least it's just like a normal fight and I can see their health bar go down as I hit them. With Deathstroke you'd smash him in the face multiple times and see half a line drop down like you were trying to best him in a pillow fight.

Still, love gliding about the city collecting things and using the detective mode, even if it is basically holding your hand and telling you what to do. Having seen first-hand what I do to people, I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks Batman doesn't kill. Don't like guns, but will happily beat men to death in the street. And I've certainly smacked one or two off the roof of a building. "He'll be fine - he landed in water." Well, icy cold garbage water, while he was unconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay but how did they get Nintendo to let them put something that family unfriendly on one of their consoles

D-did you ever see Quake64 or Conker's Bad Fur Day?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Propaganda Hour posted:

D-did you ever see Quake64 or Conker's Bad Fur Day?

I've vaguely heard of them, but never seen 'em! I'll go hit up wikipedia, see what I missed.

e:

quote:

Conker's Bad Fur Day follows the story of Conker the Squirrel, a red squirrel who embarks on a quest simply to return home to his girlfriend, Berri, after a night of binge drinking with his friends.

That's, uh. Not family-friendly.

... When did Nintendo let up on the strict censorship and aggressive control of what games could be on their consoles? ... Or am I misremembering something, and they've been crude this whole time? I could've sworn they made sure games on the NES and SNES were family-friendly, but on the other hand, there sure were some adult things on the SNES, so...

Sorry for this trip into my flaky memories, guys. :shobon:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 9, 2017

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

strategery posted:

Steam games (like steam drm) do an online check every 18 days i think, so make sure if you get something to use GOG.

Some Steam games can run independent of the client, like Caves of Qud and (I think?) Dungeonmans. I am sure there are way more examples, but I have personally put Caves of Qud on a flash drive to play on the go before.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've vaguely heard of them, but never seen 'em! I'll go hit up wikipedia, see what I missed.

e:

... When did Nintendo let up on the strict censorship and aggressive control of what games could be on their consoles? ... Or am I misremembering something, and they've been crude this whole time? I could've sworn they made sure games on the NES and SNES were family-friendly, but on the other hand, there sure were some adult things on the SNES, so...

It was the most extreme on the NES, but it's been less and less with each subsequent generation. Up to the point where they actually published Bayonetta 2 and put her in the latest smash bros.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StrixNebulosa posted:

e:

Conker is especially hilarious because when they remade it on the Xbox they had to censor a bunch of stuff to meet Microsoft's standards

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so, prey. where can i get more... well, everything? about the only thing i have a tremendous excess of is GLOO canisters. i have the pistol and the shotgun, and even the laser (which idk it's too unreliable?) but i find that i have basically no ammo for any of them and the only ammo fabrication schematic i have is for 9mm. i'm already on normal, should i just turn this down to easy or something?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

e:

No More Heroes was originally a Wii-exclusive game

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

The White Dragon posted:

so, prey. where can i get more... well, everything? about the only thing i have a tremendous excess of is GLOO canisters. i have the pistol and the shotgun, and even the laser (which idk it's too unreliable?) but i find that i have basically no ammo for any of them and the only ammo fabrication schematic i have is for 9mm. i'm already on normal, should i just turn this down to easy or something?

use less ammo also use the starter wrench also don't get hit by bosses for some coolness ammo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Basically a lot of Nintendo CENSORSHIP was based on what they thought Americans would accept, which is why they cut religious references etc. There's some pretty gory NES games, for example, and of course the megaten stuff has dicks and tits and satanism and originated in the NES days too. You can definitely get away with more in modern videogames but they were certainly willing to experiment and let people try all kinds of stuff.

It's easy to make fun of them for it but considering the moralism going on wrt videogames maybe not bring over the games where you literally play a Satanist was a good business choice after all

E: if you look at later times, remember that resident Evil 2 of all things got an n64 port

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

The strength of the game is in the writing. Literally everything else about it is mediocre or bad. Go for it, enjoy the stories in it.

Completely untrue, the graphics are great and you're missing out if you have to run the game on low settings and/or have bad frame rate.

The White Dragon posted:

Explore everywhere. You will get way more crap than you can ever possibly use if you go out of your way to search.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i use the starter wrench a lot but it blows, and i explore a lot but there's just so many mans that it's hard to keep up with my ammo expenditure

like i fabricated 300 9mm rounds but that's gone now, and i have like 5 metal materials left

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In 1974 Nintendo also prototyped a light gun game called Fascination where you used the gun to fire at a live-footage dancing Swedish woman to strip off her clothes, based on their earlier game shooting game Wild Gunman (not to be confused with the NES game).

It never got a proper release though, according to Gunpei Yokoi the machine's mechanism was too prone to failure.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

i use the starter wrench a lot but it blows, and i explore a lot but there's just so many mans that it's hard to keep up with my ammo expenditure

like i fabricated 300 9mm rounds but that's gone now, and i have like 5 metal materials left

if you've got plenty of gloo rounds then you can use the wun-tew pawnch

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah i already do but phantoms take way too many hits and don't get stopped for nearly long enough. the main problem i'm having is with, y'know, everything that isn't a mimic because i'm exploring exhaustively. but because i don't have schematics for other ammo types, my resources dwindle as i'm forced to take damage from things that i don't have the range to fight. 5 mineral materials, that's not even enough for 60 9mm rounds, not to mention i'm trying to save up for neuromod licenses.

i really liked the shotgun, but i've also only gotten to fire it like sixteen times. i was expecting a lot more ammo considering the thread has said "yeah yeah shotgun is your bread and butter! use all your upgrade kits on it asap!"

v well yeah but part of the problem i'm having is i now have no laser ammo left, yknow i was experimenting with it when i found it to get a feel for it and i thought i had plenty, but then as it turns out 400 power cells is barely enough to kill 4 enemies. that would've been really nice to know when i found it though, like maybe with a tooltip or breaking the fourth wall but naaaaaaaaah

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 9, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Really Pants posted:

if you've got plenty of gloo rounds then you can use the wun-tew pawnch

Also with the laser you can weaken enemies then laser them. They vaporize when the green fills up the red on their life bar. Less life = less laser needed to kill.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
The NES game Bionic Commando had quite the surprise for what Ninendo allowed.

E: Ack, way too big. Not seeing any to way edit a plat uploaded image...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yvershek fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 9, 2017

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Basically a lot of Nintendo CENSORSHIP was based on what they thought Americans would accept, which is why they cut religious references etc. There's some pretty gory NES games, for example, and of course the megaten stuff has dicks and tits and satanism and originated in the NES days too. You can definitely get away with more in modern videogames but they were certainly willing to experiment and let people try all kinds of stuff.

It's easy to make fun of them for it but considering the moralism going on wrt videogames maybe not bring over the games where you literally play a Satanist was a good business choice after all

E: if you look at later times, remember that resident Evil 2 of all things got an n64 port

This ties in to how Nintendo was marketing the NES in the states due to the great videogame crash; they wanted to deemphasize the whole 'videogame' thing and they pushed the NES as a toy. The Atari 2600 was sold in Sears as an appliance, the NES was sold in Toys'R'us. Obviously this didn't stay true for very long; once it took off everyone that could justify shelf space stocked the NES. By the time the SNES was established, let alone the N64, that wasn't a primary concern anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's also singlehandedly kept Platinum Games from closing their doors.

Wait, what?? Platinum Games was in danger of closing? i can''t believe that :ohdear:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Xaris posted:

Wait, what?? Platinum Games was in danger of closing? i can''t believe that :ohdear:

Yeah, unfortunately their games just don't sell very well :(

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

StrixNebulosa posted:

... When did Nintendo let up on the strict censorship and aggressive control of what games could be on their consoles?

IIRC, they started loosening up around 1993-94, when the censored SNES version of Mortal Kombat bombed and the uncensored Genesis version sold like hotcakes. SNES MK2 had blood and fatalities. Then the ESRB rating system went into effect at the end of 1994, and Nintendo announced that they were dropping their internal censorship standards because they were obsolete.

Ragequit posted:

Some Steam games can run independent of the client, like Caves of Qud and (I think?) Dungeonmans. I am sure there are way more examples, but I have personally put Caves of Qud on a flash drive to play on the go before.

Most indies and a smattering of non-indies can do that, here's a list: http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

When Scalebound was shut down it nearly finished them off.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xaris posted:

They got screwed over big time by Microsoft cancelling Scalebound. And their games don't tend to sell super well anyway, especially the somewhat subpar licensed stuff they've been putting out the past few years.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Xaris posted:

According to Kamiya himself, "...to say that Yoko-san saved Platinum would not be an exaggeration. I cannot thank him enough.”

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The White Dragon posted:

yeah i already do but phantoms take way too many hits and don't get stopped for nearly long enough. the main problem i'm having is with, y'know, everything that isn't a mimic because i'm exploring exhaustively. but because i don't have schematics for other ammo types, my resources dwindle as i'm forced to take damage from things that i don't have the range to fight. 5 mineral materials, that's not even enough for 60 9mm rounds, not to mention i'm trying to save up for neuromod licenses.

i really liked the shotgun, but i've also only gotten to fire it like sixteen times. i was expecting a lot more ammo considering the thread has said "yeah yeah shotgun is your bread and butter! use all your upgrade kits on it asap!"

v well yeah but part of the problem i'm having is i now have no laser ammo left, yknow i was experimenting with it when i found it to get a feel for it and i thought i had plenty, but then as it turns out 400 power cells is barely enough to kill 4 enemies. that would've been really nice to know when i found it though, like maybe with a tooltip or breaking the fourth wall but naaaaaaaaah

shotgun and stunner/wrench are for phantoms, pistol really doesn't work on them, they're too fast.

e: http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/72274-prey-2017-where-to-find-the-shotgun-shells-fabrication-plan

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 10, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'd be very, very nervous if I considered myself 'saved' by Yoko Taro. That guy hates happy endings more than anything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sebmojo posted:

shotgun and stunner/wrench are for phantoms, pistol really doesn't work on them, they're too fast.

e: http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/72274-prey-2017-where-to-find-the-shotgun-shells-fabrication-plan

cool thanks

strangely, i don't have targeting problems fighting phantoms with the pistol. the main problem i was having was with the low damage output so it takes a ton of rounds to take one down. i generally don't miss.

e: wtf you're kidding me that's the safe hint? that's stupid.
e2: speaking of safe hints, i actually kinda liked the periodic table puzzle but they probably should've raised its resolution on medium settings because it was a little hard to read

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 10, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'd be very, very nervous if I considered myself 'saved' by Yoko Taro. That guy hates happy endings more than anything.

Given that Nier Automata has a happy ending, it seems very appropriate :colbert:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Begemot posted:

They got screwed over big time by Microsoft cancelling Scalebound. And their games don't tend to sell super well anyway, especially the somewhat subpar licensed stuff they've been putting out the past few years.
Yeah I suppose. I personally have not bought any of their media licensed games. TNMT and Korra has exactly 0% interest to me. I did buy Nier: A though and steam version of Bayonneta+Vanquish despite owning them on xbox, and wii u already.

Maybe they can stop working with really boring media licenses now

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Begemot posted:

Xaris posted:

Maybe they can stop working with really boring media licenses now

I have a feeling that those licensed games were used to get a paycheck to keep the lights on at Platinum.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Use the stun gun more often, it makes fights easier and helps conserve ammo because you get a big damage bonus when enemies are stunned. The pistol is really bad against phantoms, recommend you use the stun gun or gloo cannon + shotgun at point blank range.

Other than that recycle everything and craft more ammo when you need it. You'll find the shotgun ammo plan eventually I'm sure

Later there are two things that can help a lot if you're worried about ammo expenditure: psionic powers[/spoilers] and [spoiler]a quest that modified all of the water on the station so that it fills your psi meter by a lot, so now the drinking fountains and water coolers are all basically ammo stations for your lethal mind powers

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Also, throw fridges at phantoms. They dont cost you any resources at all (if you have the skill of course) and deal a ton of damage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My plan of attack in Prey was Gloo a motherfucker down then shotgun their faces off. It MOSTLY worked. Get the upgrade that makes food heal better because then you're basically gonna win on attrition very often.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

If you put one point into sneak attack + one point into extra damage and get the drop on enemies I don't find it hard. I specced for a Max Payne build, too, because I didn't know Prey had bullet time when I started playing. Honestly use slow mo for every encounter. You can throw a fridge at something in bullet time and then race what you threw on them so after it goes *bonk* and disappears they see Yu going ham with a pistol. Also, in wrench shots are easier to pull off in bullet time. Mag dump + wrench + "oh poo poo they're not dead and my bullet time is almost up + swap to Gloo Gun = dead or frozen bad guy

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I forget where you find the laser but I think I had the shotgun shell plan before I found it? Hard to say because who knows where you've been vs. where I've been. I stealth wrenched a lot of phantoms with a charged melee hit before I found that plan though. That knocks them down, swing the wrench until you're out of stamina, if they aren't dead put some 9mm into them.

That reminds me though the most annoying part of Prey has been that you aren't allowed to GLOO phantoms that you've knocked down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When Rockstar announced they were rereleasing LA Noire, I decided to check it out since I liked it years ago and got it on steam at some point. I really hope they update the game to support 60 fps, because the game is locked to 30 because of the animations.

I'm really enjoying the investigating and driving and solving street crimes. The interrogation is terrible though. Usually I can tell if the person is hiding something, but the trouble is figuring out whether I should use lie or force. Sometimes I think I have them in a lie but then Cole goes nuts and accuses them of something random, and I obviously have no proof of whatever the hell Cole just said.

I started using a guide for the conversations because it's just bullshit and there's no restore checkpoint option. So I either gently caress up the conversation or start the whole case over. I already played through the game making mistakes once, so I don't care about cheating or whatever. Especially when I look at the guide and have no idea why it wants me to pick lie. There was one interrogation where I had no idea why it was a lie. What the guy said initially didn't seem to contradict my evidence. I pick lie and then Cole accuses him of being a pedophile, and then I was able to make the connection. I guess I could have made that connection if I had done the other part of the case first, but that was weird.

The overall concept is easy to understand. If they look like they are telling the truth, you pick truth. If they look like they are lying and you have proof, you pick lie. If they look like they are lying but you don't have proof, you pick doubt (which is really force). My problem is that picking doubt shouldn't fail that question if there is evidence. I should be able to come back with evidence and question them again. A lie is still a lie. There should be a tell that gives me a hint that some of my evidence proves them wrong, or even let me figure it out later and come back. That just seems stupid that if I get the answer wrong, they win. Cop shows always have the detective get it wrong, find more evidence and take a second crack at the suspect. Imagine law and order where the suspect gets away with it because the detective didn't find some evidence yet and he was never allowed to question the guy about the knife ever again.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 10, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

When Rockstar announced they were rereleasing LA Noire, I decided to check it out since I liked it years ago and got it on steam at some point. I really hope they update the game to support 60 fps, because the game is locked to 30 because of the animations.

I'm really enjoying the investigating and driving and solving street crimes. The interrogation is terrible though. Usually I can tell if the person is hiding something, but the trouble is figuring out whether I should use lie or force. Sometimes I think I have them in a lie but then Cole goes nuts and accuses them of something random, and I obviously have no proof of whatever the hell Cole just said.

I started using a guide for the conversations because it's just bullshit and there's no restore checkpoint option. So I either gently caress up the conversation or start the whole case over. I already played through the game making mistakes once, so I don't care about cheating or whatever. Especially when I look at the guide and have no idea why it wants me to pick lie. There was one interrogation where I had no idea why it was a lie. What the guy said initially didn't seem to contradict my evidence. I pick lie and then Cole accuses him of being a pedophile, and then I was able to make the connection. I guess I could have made that connection if I had done the other part of the case first, but that was weird.

Assuming you've found all evidence and want to break the game's bad design over your knee instead of playing it the trick to making all the interrogations incredibly easy is to always pick Lie first unless you know it's Truth. There is literally no consequence to picking Lie, no matter what crazy theory Cole thinks up, you can just hit back, Cole will apologize, and you get to pick another option. But 9 out of 10 times when you pick Lie the person you're questioning will literally spell out what evidence you need if Lie is the right option. So if the choice is between Doubt and Lie always pick Lie first and you'll almost always be able to tell if you have the evidence or you just need to pick Doubt. Enjoy crazy Cole.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can back out of lie? Ok, I'll try doing that from now on. I was getting pissed because I'd pick doubt because I forgot someone was in some guy's notebook and I lose even though I had the evidence.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nier automata is just a bizarre miracle of a game that still kinda baffles me that it even exists, let alone that it was successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cojawfee posted:

I can back out of lie? Ok, I'll try doing that from now on. I was getting pissed because I'd pick doubt because I forgot someone was in some guy's notebook and I lose even though I had the evidence.

It's not very clear, but "Doubt" and "Lie" both mean you think the person is lying, just that "Lie" means you are holding evidence to the contrary.