Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just saw the DC live show. They definitely need to amend "You have to ask a question" to the rules, but the boys rolled with the long stories very well.

They also came out while we were all waiting to get in and at least high fived everyone. Griffin took the time to take pictures with almost everyone who asked too. I refuse to believe that these guys are not legit good people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Deeters posted:

I just saw the DC live show. They definitely need to amend "You have to ask a question" to the rules, but the boys rolled with the long stories very well.

At the very least, they need to point out that no matter how funny your story might be (and it's not) the name of the podcast refers to only three brothers so you're still not going to get invited to tour as 4th Brother Sadbrains.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

New Butt Order posted:

At the very least, they need to point out that no matter how funny your story might be (and it's not) the name of the podcast refers to only three brothers so you're still not going to get invited to tour as 4th Brother Sadbrains.

I don't think you understand - I can't solve VERY basic social situations, they need me on the show

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Someone tried to sneak a bummer into the liveshow and I was always wondering how they handled those

The answer is: in a very wholesome manner

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

YggiDee posted:

I'm curious if Oh No Ross and Carrie is any good.

The only one I listened to was the one about products that make your dick/boobs bigger, and they managed to make it boring.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

I learned of the mcelroys through the giant bomb e3 streams through the Sherlock Holmes saga.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pHaayrkqhdA

That was Justin!? Apparently I was a fan of a McElroy 3 years before I was a fan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

That was Justin!? Apparently I was a fan of a McElroy 3 years before I was a fan.

I found about them through this year's E3 where the two of them were laughing nonstop about Sea of Thieves.

edit: Also the Sherlock Holmes thing is one of my favourite things ever.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

My first McElroy-ish encounter was when Justin submitted a story for a Breaking Madden character. I re-read them a few days ago and realized it was him!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pastrymancy posted:

Someone tried to sneak a bummer into the liveshow and I was always wondering how they handled those

The answer is: in a very wholesome manner

I enjoyed that and basically calling out the toilet paper girl about being bad at talking to people

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
My first encounter with McElroy content was Joystiq and their old Game Awards drink-alongs, though I didn't realize that was them until this thread

The second time was with the Bart monster factory, and that was probably the hardest I'd laughed in years

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Earlier in the thread someone was asking which bro was having a new kid. I just listened to the Sawbones about tickling and Syd let it slip that she was trying to find maternity clothes. The awkward pause that followed it kinda confirmed that she realized she accidentally said it, but they left it in, so they must not care too much if people figure it out.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Is there another thread for the other Max Fun podcasts or am I allowed to bring them up here? I'm curious if Oh No Ross and Carrie is any good.

It's a pretty good show, and it's gotten a lot better over the last year. The UFO conferences that they went to should be a good place to start then just pick topics that sound interesting or try out their Scientology series. There's maybe 2 inside jokes, so you're fine going in any order. It is more about the experience than comedy though. The humor comes from bad psychics, quark doctors and stories about Trump's plan to disclose all the secret alien portals in a hot new documentary. If you're not interested in the topic they're covering it's safe to skip it, usually. Also you can usually skip the interviews they do. I think the only worthwhile ones were the ex-Scientologist and ex-Mormon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Really good TAZ animation, contains major spoilers for the Wonderland arc: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77LZJCb26Mw

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think I first heard of them from Jim Stearling's Podcast. It was my first summer working as a mail carrier. Still a CCA and still working the worst route in our office. It was made up of parts of other routes that were carved off because the carriers for those routes didn't want to do them. I was pretty much just starting to get really into podcasts and was taking what ever suggestions I could get. At this point the MBMBaM was still a "I'f i'm bored i'll listen to it" Podcast.

THis was the bit that made me a fan for life.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJoR1ySRrZ4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have a weird, vague memory that also reminds me of a similar situation involving Breaking Bad.

Was there any sort of recent (past year or so) controversy involving Griffin, where people really didn't like him over something game-related? I ask because before I became a fan, I sort of remember hearing his name with regards to something bad, but that might've been someone with no sense of humour complaining. I haven't been able to find anything, though.

The reason this reminds me of Breaking Bad is because, before I got into that show (which was between seasons 3 and 4), I could have have sworn I had heard a ton of negative things about it. And I don't mean regular goon compliants (goons love and hate everything, of course), I'm talking about the general public making GBS threads on it. Of course, I can't find anything about that now, either. Sure, some people didn't like it, that's expected.

Basically, I'm really weird and bad with that whole transition of "What's this thing about?" to "I need to experience everything about this thing now". Understandable, once I'm into something, my ability to notice and remember related things (like news about the thing) improves greatly. Before that, maybe I conflate it all with something similar.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jim the Nickel posted:

Earlier in the thread someone was asking which bro was having a new kid. I just listened to the Sawbones about tickling and Syd let it slip that she was trying to find maternity clothes. The awkward pause that followed it kinda confirmed that she realized she accidentally said it, but they left it in, so they must not care too much if people figure it out.

Very happy for them, but Justin has been the most ambivalent of the three about how much access fans have to his personal life. Even if the references stay in, these inadvertent slips are probably causing him some stress.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a weird, vague memory that also reminds me of a similar situation involving Breaking Bad.

Was there any sort of recent (past year or so) controversy involving Griffin, where people really didn't like him over something game-related? I ask because before I became a fan, I sort of remember hearing his name with regards to something bad, but that might've been someone with no sense of humour complaining. I haven't been able to find anything, though.

The reason this reminds me of Breaking Bad is because, before I got into that show (which was between seasons 3 and 4), I could have have sworn I had heard a ton of negative things about it. And I don't mean regular goon compliants (goons love and hate everything, of course), I'm talking about the general public making GBS threads on it. Of course, I can't find anything about that now, either. Sure, some people didn't like it, that's expected.

Basically, I'm really weird and bad with that whole transition of "What's this thing about?" to "I need to experience everything about this thing now". Understandable, once I'm into something, my ability to notice and remember related things (like news about the thing) improves greatly. Before that, maybe I conflate it all with something similar.

His nuzlocke run revealed him to be bad at pokemon

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

His nuzlocke run revealed him to be bad at pokemon

Lol is that really a takeaway people had? He purposely kept himself from being overlevelled in every area to make a more entertaining product by keeping the stakes high, and somebody took that as him not knowing how to play?

Wonderful. Personally I never imagined enjoying a Pokemon playthrough but the fact that he had constant crises about his dudes dying off made it fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought it maybe referred to the accusations that the Assassin's Creed 2 remake comparison video wasn't a fair assessment?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lol is that really a takeaway people had? He purposely kept himself from being overlevelled in every area to make a more entertaining product by keeping the stakes high, and somebody took that as him not knowing how to play?

Wonderful. Personally I never imagined enjoying a Pokemon playthrough but the fact that he had constant crises about his dudes dying off made it fun.

There were people flipping out that he didn't know all these dumb little tricks that frankly the game doesn't actually indicate to you- like spending time grinding out cakes and pets in pokemon amie might give your dudes a chance to survive when they hit 0hp, a certain move he should have taught to certain pokemon, basically gamefaq poo poo like that- but frankly gently caress it, it was a really fun video series and that's all that matters.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kojiro posted:

There were people flipping out that he didn't know all these dumb little tricks that frankly the game doesn't actually indicate to you- like spending time grinding out cakes and pets in pokemon amie might give your dudes a chance to survive when they hit 0hp, a certain move he should have taught to certain pokemon, basically gamefaq poo poo like that- but frankly gently caress it, it was a really fun video series and that's all that matters.

Any web series that has grinding in it is just a waste of everyone's time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kojiro posted:

There were people flipping out that he didn't know all these dumb little tricks that frankly the game doesn't actually indicate to you- like spending time grinding out cakes and pets in pokemon amie might give your dudes a chance to survive when they hit 0hp

This one the game explicitly tells you with nnpcs in a few towns. They really tried to push Amie super hard.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
What was the music used for the dream dunk?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wonderland - Round Three, the theme of the climactic battle of The Suffering Game.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aside from the nuzlocke run showing Griffin not being good at pokemon, the only Angry At McElroys About Video Games thing I remember was that people got really mad at Justin for his Nier review a few years back?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I still don't understand why people care about reviews for games they have already bought and enjoy.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

inferis posted:

I still don't understand why people care about reviews for games they have already bought and enjoy.

skub.jpg

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This one the game explicitly tells you with nnpcs in a few towns. They really tried to push Amie super hard.

I guess, but he wasn't talking to every single NPC, and ultimately it was an entertainment series rather than a walkthrough? I dunno, it's really hard to care how good he is at Pokemon since either way it was enjoyable viewing.

Rewatched it the other day and I was still extremely sad about Ms B. A hundred talons, a thousand eyes, rest in peace.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

inferis posted:

People in niche fandoms attach way too much of their sense of self to the things they like. Any person in a position of 'authority' like a professional reviewer liking what they like reaffirms them as people and proves them right to like the thing. But any reviewer who dislikes a thing they like is personally attacking them and disparaging them as a person for liking a 'bad' thing.

The internet isn't good for people's mental health.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

People in niche fandoms attach way too much of their sense of self to the things they like. Any person in a position of 'authority' like a professional reviewer liking what they like reaffirms them as people and proves them right to like the thing. But any reviewer who dislikes a thing they like is personally attacking them and disparaging them as a person for liking a 'bad' thing.

The internet isn't good for people's mental health.

I mean also there's the thing about how the average consumer puts a depressing amount of weight behind review scores and meta critic data and because of that gems with less than AAA presentation or sensibilities tend to get hammered on both ends since most game reviewers are just churning out reviews and might not have time or the inclination to sit and digest a game like Nier.

For example: Jim Sterlings hilariously dumb Vanquish review or that great IGN 3.0 Godhand review.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean also there's the thing about how the average consumer puts a depressing amount of weight behind review scores and meta critic data and because of that gems with less than AAA presentation or sensibilities tend to get hammered on both ends since most game reviewers are just churning out reviews and might not have time or the inclination to sit and digest a game like Nier.

For example: Jim Sterlings hilariously dumb Vanquish review or that great IGN 3.0 Godhand review.

True, but I was responding more to the question of why people even look at reviews for things they already own/have experienced. The state of media reviews online is loving weird, and the people who care the most about them don't seem to understand how they're supposed to function.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

True, but I was responding more to the question of why people even look at reviews for things they already own/have experienced. The state of media reviews online is loving weird, and the people who care the most about them don't seem to understand how they're supposed to function.
It's fun looking to see if people I respect love the same things I love about it. That said, Griffin completely played the first day of Stardew Valley wrong when he was showing it off to Justin and therefore is a bad bad critic.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

My first McElroy podcast was MBMBAM. Two folks I knew on Twitter who were dating bought a jumbotron message and were all lovey-dovey about it (they broke up a couple months later). I was like "okay they're always talking about this dumb thing I might as well listen to it." This was maybe... I'm not sure exactly when. Several years ago. Not that long after Spaghettageddon, as that was one of the first ones I listened to.

After that I just sort of went with whatever they ended up doing.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

dang that high school taz adventure was good and cool

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I was kidding friend

E: haha I didn't realize there was any actual backlash wow

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I was kidding friend

E: haha I didn't realize there was any actual backlash wow

Some of it came from inside the thread. People were scoffing at Griffin for not maxing all his IVs or whatever and not treating the run like he was playing on a professional tournament level. Some people get very worked up watching someone be only okay at a video game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Some of it came from inside the thread. People were scoffing at Griffin for not maxing all his IVs or whatever and not treating the run like he was playing on a professional tournament level. Some people get very worked up watching someone be only okay at a video game.

no one was doing that here. there was probably an unreasonable level of emotional investment from people watching the series, but i think the worst it ever got was when he got Filbert killed in a very obvious way. If I remember correctly, someone said that he took a hit equivalent to five hyper beams.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

minmaxing pokemon games is the most tedious poo poo, i have no idea why anybody expects people to do it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think it's less that Griffin wasn't min/maxing and more that he was forgetting basic type matchups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think it's less that Griffin wasn't min/maxing and more that he was forgetting basic type matchups

the introduction of fairy totally hosed up my matchup knowledge and i have never recovered. i have no idea what matchups he was having issues with though, it's been too long since i watched it.