Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

HelixFox posted:

These are great. Somehow when I played FF7 as a kid I never really noticed how loving weird the enemy designs can be.

That's one of the reasons I'm so excited for the remake. I want to see what the hell they do with the enemies in Ultra-Super-HD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

HelixFox posted:

These are great. Somehow when I played FF7 as a kid I never really noticed how loving weird the enemy designs can be.

I personally like the big house you fight in the Midgar slums

Jewel posted:

That's one of the reasons I'm so excited for the remake. I want to see what the hell they do with the enemies in Ultra-Super-HD

I somehow doubt we're getting these surreal monsters in the remake :(

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

rinski posted:

Touching. This monster was created for the sole purpose of giving the perfect thumbs up, only to give it to the tiny snail engineer who made him.

Synthol: Not Even Once.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Synthol: Not Even Once.

I looked up synthol and wish everyone would adhere to this my god

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

My friend's dog as a Pokemon.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 3, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hardcordion posted:

My friend's dog as a Pokemon.

This is a better pokemon than a lot of what Pokemon Company have been putting out themselves lately :thumbsup:

You should do his evolution!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yay this thread is a little active again!

My whole month has been game related stuff

And NES PALETTE SKULLS

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Small update on the bandit creature:

Mainly concerned about the lighting/shading, which is one of my weaker points. It's still rough and i'm not happy it's near completion, even with extra time put into it. Am i on the right track, or is there still serious issues with it?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Postin' up with a robo pal

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Here's a space marine replicator and some other folks, some of whom are melty-looking motherfuckers.

Edit: some insomnia doodles & fixing broken images above

Ash Crimson posted:

Small update on the bandit creature:

I think the update looks better, but lighting and shading too, so I can't offer much.

Scut posted:

Postin' up with a robo pal

I dunno man, that hookahbot has a sinister look about its optical sensors. Also, I love the asymmetry of its torso.

rinski fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 5, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
remade 1 of my pieces from like 9 years ago

this one's the re make

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
got into pixel art lately. I mean I was doing it before for games but only low effort stuff

here's some characters

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

How many colours in this? I love the lighting on his nose!

I made a robot for morning meditations

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Thanks! It's 14 colours, from the default MSPaint palette

I like your toilet robot

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...

Shoehead posted:

My whole month has been game related stuff
Me too! Nothing as impressive as your skills though :aaa:

"SCALD" was a wee game I made for the one hour game jam... it's very basic, but it was done in an hour and despite that, I'm super happy with the results. Feel like I managed to get quite a lot of character/atmosphere out of basic shapes.

Play here: https://sean-noonan.itch.io/scald

"Bad Juju", my entry for the Game Maker's Toolkit game jam got featured as an honourable mention in the latest video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmjt-UfybM&t=3m41s

...it's not exactly impressive pixel art, but I feel like it "works". Started updating it a bit too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwU8ZReu88A
Play here: https://sean-noonan.itch.io/bad-juju

Last weekend I did Ludum Dare. My entry was called Oil Patrol and you can play it here (also vote/comment/etc.) https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/39/oil-patrol

...more along the lines of stuff I want to get better at. I'm nowhere near where I want to be yet, but I feel like I'm starting to improve.

Here's a time lapse of my work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuV7BazwJA

:words:

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 4, 2017

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

dang. this looks amazing.

holy poo poo how do you make a game in an hour I like the guy's ducking animation a lot, especially how it only reduces his size by a pixel.

Also, that time-lapse video was super interesting to watch, even though I'm unfamiliar with the software you were using.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi I'm gonna dump all over yas. I know there's a little crossover between this thread and the game dev one in games but there was the Awful Summer Jam in July and I made a weird mashup of Doom and Wild Guns. So here's some art.

It turned out.. ok? It also won best art (though Kurm Frog should have got it IMO)

Here's a link for it if anyone wants to check it out https://shoehead.itch.io/dum

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shoehead posted:

Hi I'm gonna dump all over yas. I know there's a little crossover between this thread and the game dev one in games but there was the Awful Summer Jam in July and I made a weird mashup of Doom and Wild Guns. So here's some art.

It turned out.. ok? It also won best art (though Kurm Frog should have got it IMO)

Here's a link for it if anyone wants to check it out https://shoehead.itch.io/dum

Dude this is so extremely good

I guess it being a doom thing you can't publish it but man I'm such a sucker for those wild arms style cabal shooters, there's so few of them, and that's loving doom :allears:

Gonna download this and I may even throw you a few buckaroos

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Nooo that game is baaaad

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HelixFox posted:

I literally dont remember any of these except the skeleship because he grabs you with the oar and tosses you out and now im mad again

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This is super impressive, congrats !

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I've been sitting on this one for a while, but the album it was made for (Land of Fans and Music 4) finally released so I can post it:

Sorry for the Homestuck, but that's just how it is. FF6 was pretty formational for me and I really like trying to imitate the general style.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Scarodactyl posted:

I've been sitting on this one for a while, but the album it was made for (Land of Fans and Music 4) finally released so I can post it:

Sorry for the Homestuck, but that's just how it is. FF6 was pretty formational for me and I really like trying to imitate the general style.

That looks fantastic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shoehead posted:

I think nearly everything in this thread is amazing, but it would be great to have more. Would it be useful to have a weekly thread on the lines of the CC flash fiction thunderdome? The way that works is that everyone writes a story to a prompt, and the winner picks the next weeks prompt. i wouldn't run it, as I do not art, but I could probably arrange an avatar for the loser. We could make it monthly instead of weekly, since pixel art probably takes longer. Thoughts?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd be down to participate in the autumn/winter when I have enough time to not risk oathbreaker status.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm not sure I have the hang of shading forms. I'm working on it on paper, but I took a swing at some balls in aseprite.

Appreciate any advice.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

sebmojo posted:

I think nearly everything in this thread is amazing, but it would be great to have more. Would it be useful to have a weekly thread on the lines of the CC flash fiction thunderdome? The way that works is that everyone writes a story to a prompt, and the winner picks the next weeks prompt. i wouldn't run it, as I do not art, but I could probably arrange an avatar for the loser. We could make it monthly instead of weekly, since pixel art probably takes longer. Thoughts?

I'd be up for this, though I think I'd rather it be weekly or biweekly.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Try some freehand spheres using pencil shading or cross hatching. You can do them faster and more intuitively than in pixels and then apply that knowledge to pixel art

This seemed like a decent tutorial on shading a sphere:
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/howtodrawasphere.html

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Bean posted:

I'm not sure I have the hang of shading forms. I'm working on it on paper, but I took a swing at some balls in aseprite.

Appreciate any advice.

I'll post some of Saint11's tutorials on this topic.

The Basics:

Color and Cleanup:

Just for fun:

I know the feeling of not wanting to do stuff on pen and paper, but you should really listen to Scut as well. Real paper work helps a lot in development of pixel shills.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKc0zMGGaRg

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
An endboss challenge would be pretty cool as a year-end thing. I wonder if it could be done like those collabs where everyone takes on a square of the canvas.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Internet Janitor posted:

In other news, the Octojam IV page is together:

http://www.awfuljams.com/octojam-iv

If you want to play with some low-resolution, low-color stuff, Octojam 4 is starting soon. The target virtual console can support 64x32px or 128x64px resolutions, with 2 or 4 colors. Pretty limited, but you can pick any palette you want. As a bonus, Internet Janitor just added macros to the language, making a lot of things easier to program.

Click here to see the entries from last year

Head over to the Chip8 / Octo thread if you want to talk about the jam or find a team.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I made a chompy boy
also first time doing an animation smear in pixel art

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is that for a shmup? Maybe you could translate some of the inertia of the jaws snapping into the body.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's for a shmup yes. I wasn't sure if I should do more with it since this is just a suicide enemy that chases the player for a bit. (that and i'm running out of time.)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The biting action feels nice and chompy already.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Sorry this is probably going to sound dumb as well as being really personal and subjective, but i'm interested in how others interpret pixelart? I look at things literally, because of my aspergers, so i tend to stick to the "rules" that i've learnt from tutorials and critique and rarely deviate unless i can solidly reproduce it and even then it's only incremental. I've spent literal days adding and removing pixels, to get what i consider to be the perfect "form" of what i'm aiming for, i suppose i'm sort of a perfectionist in that sense?

I guess that's a reason as to why all of my stuff is so similar and the changes are incremental; if it works i keep going down that route, rather than radically changing it, which is good if you're doing making a game and want all the art etc to be the same and have a coherent, but i'm more interested in trying to improve my art as a specific goal. It was also, not trying to make excuses, the reason i was so hesistant to start drawing, i found it difficult to understand how traditional art could translate into pixel-art skills.

Advising me (repeatedly!) to draw has helped me in a lot of ways but i still struggle to understand how other artists come to their "conclusions"/style, which i feel is really holding me back. I can take all the good bits i like from other people's work and incorporate it into mine when appropiate, but i feel it's useless if i don't at least try to understand how and why they did it that way. The whole reason i started doing pixel-art was because it was accessible to me, at the time i thought i could bypass my lack of traditional art skills, be that drawing or actual knowledge of the subject, and that i'd eventually gain an understanding of it through my own and other's artwork, but even with the former two (loosely) under my belt i still don't have the latter.

I'd like to go for a more simplistic style, more flat colours and intelligent cluster placement and less redundant anti-aliasing, because some of my favourite pieces of pixel-art has that, but the theory behind it still eludes me. If you want some examples, here's my Pixeljoint.com profile's fave's section: http://pixeljoint.com/p/38516.htm?sec=fave&pg=1

I guess what i'm asking is... any advice? I'm still drawing and reading books on art, but it's not clicking for me at the moment.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 27, 2017

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think ultimately you have to acclimatize yourself with abstraction and that is one of the (but not the only) things that sketching, drawing and painting by hand helps teach your brain. Pixel art can appear detailed but it is heavily abstracted. Artists use blobs of pixels that the human brain interprets as recognizable shapes and textures which in turn assemble to create a work of art that is understood.

Everyone knows that a forest is made up of thousands of individual trees, but artists do not depict forests by drawing every single tree it contains. You need to find some routine or mechanism that allows you to distance from your instinct to micromanage. I don't know what will work for you, but there has to be something that helps suppress the 'sperg. Listen to a podcast, or the right kind of music, or perhaps work in isolation/silence. Maybe the opposite works and you need to be in a noisy cafe?

Try following along with some Bob Ross. Just follow his instructions and DO NOT analyze your work until you reach the end of the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JsxdK8Cq8g

Apologies for posting a buzzfeed clip but it gets the idea across that any of us apes can do this if we get past our apprehension.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Bustin' in here to show off this guy: http://noirlac.tumblr.com/
Really awesome stuff in this thread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Scut posted:

I think ultimately you have to acclimatize yourself with abstraction and that is one of the (but not the only) things that sketching, drawing and painting by hand helps teach your brain. Pixel art can appear detailed but it is heavily abstracted. Artists use blobs of pixels that the human brain interprets as recognizable shapes and textures which in turn assemble to create a work of art that is understood.

Everyone knows that a forest is made up of thousands of individual trees, but artists do not depict forests by drawing every single tree it contains. You need to find some routine or mechanism that allows you to distance from your instinct to micromanage. I don't know what will work for you, but there has to be something that helps suppress the 'sperg. Listen to a podcast, or the right kind of music, or perhaps work in isolation/silence. Maybe the opposite works and you need to be in a noisy cafe?

Try following along with some Bob Ross. Just follow his instructions and DO NOT analyze your work until you reach the end of the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JsxdK8Cq8g

Apologies for posting a buzzfeed clip but it gets the idea across that any of us apes can do this if we get past our apprehension.

Thanks for the link and advice Scut!

You're right, I think i'm just frustrated at my percieved lack of progress in art, which to be honest isn't entirely realistic. I know i'll get there, but some people just uh... take the longer route! Until then i'll keep on drawing and pixeling. I think it's difficult sometimes for artists, at least for myself, when the progress you make seems incremental, I don't have experience with any other hobby beyond gaming, but i can only presume that it's the same? Even looking at a stuff from a year ago i know there's improvement, be it in the understanding of clusters, colour, anatomy, animation etc. I think the two worst things that can happen to an artist is extreme self-doubt and getting comfortable with a percieved style and not being willing to experiment.

I'm going to keep on reading up, especially on pixelart theory, i'm sure it'll pay off eventually!

----------

Shoehead posted:

This stuff is amazing, your progress has been great! I look forward to Lifter and i hope you can sell it on something like steam, I'd gladly pay for it!

Bean posted:

Appreciate any advice.

I'd really recommend looking up some general light-tutorials, even ones that involve more traditional forms of art. There's alot of them on places such as pinterest or *Shudders* deviantart.

Another aspect of shading, strangely, is colouring. Take my advice with a large dose of salt, but i think the transition from light to dark in the upper purple sphere is too harsh, there's too much contrast, same with the lower brown one. Also, don't be afraid to stray from your current colour palette, experiment with hue-shifting and colours that you might not normally combine, Here's a quick example of my re-colouring (With AA, which i guess also plays a part in colours):

I used yellow and red in the brown spheres because i think it looks more interesting than a straight-up brown ramp, but a brown ramp is useful as well, even if it doesn't include as much hue-shifting. The bottom "blue" and "purple" spheres were originally gray before hue-shifting to make them more interesting as well. I do like your green by the way!

Always experiment but don't worry about having a palette that you tend to fall back to; as you play around with colours, their hues and values, you'll gradually settle on some you'll continue to use and don't forget to sample from other artists! Find a nice orange or red they use in a particular piece? Sample it! Change it, put it next to some different colours, try to make a ramp out of it and your experience using and understanding colours will grow.

I'm not good at advice, but i wanted to give something back, hopefully this helps and makes sense.