Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lampsacus posted:

The podcast Uhh Yeah Dude is listened to by Roark of s35 http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Roark_Luskin so yay go her.

Seatbelts! Now I gotta root for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

sportsgenius86 posted:

If I ever get on the show I'm saying I'm a combo of Shambo and Dan Foley just for the fun of it

“I’m Shambo, Greg Buis, and Brad Culpeper all in one package!”

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mancalamania posted:

With respect to 2, in another article it said that if whoever finds the idol is on the tribe that wins immunity, they have to immediately will it to someone on the losing tribe. So there's already a 1 in 6 shot it gets played, much higher if you factor in that if it gets willed to someone they'll probably send it to an obvious weak link on that tribe. And even if that weak link isn't the target, they might be in the minority so would play it on whoever the target is anyway.

I mostly hate this twist because it's impossible to strategize around-- not only will most players not even know this idol is in the game, but even if they figure out that it's in the game they can't really do anything to fight it except do exactly what the holder wants because it's a super idol, especially because the rules about how the super idol work with respect to re-votes is unclear (I won't ramble about the specifics, but even a 2-2-2 split would fail if super idols can be played after re-votes). And since only the holder of the idol knows the exact rules, even if the super idol CAN'T be played after a re-vote the holder can just claim that it can and no one will be able to call the bluff, and then there's no way to split votes.

It seems like if the idol was just a regular idol that expires after the first TC, and if Probst just warns them that "one round idols are a thing this season, so strategize accordingly," you could get a much more entertaining outcome out of this twist. As it stands, it seems very likely someone is about to be the first person voted out because of a magic idol with new unknowable rules.

I think with this game twist being revealed in like official CBS publicity that we don't need to use spoiler tags here anymore, but just as fair warning to anyone reading this I'm gonna talk about a revealed twist for the new season below so avert your eyes if desired!

Yes, the idol holder could dictate the vote, but it's only for one single TC, so if you're the rest of the tribe and you know about it, then you can just do what that person wants for that one week and it's no big. Alternatively, if you're the person with the idol, unless it's your rear end on the line you might be best off just going with the flow and letting whatever vote that's going down happen, because you don't want to stick a wrench in the gears of what could be a consensus easy first boot.

So basically I guess what I'm saying is that strategically the idol holder should just do what the tribe wants, and the tribe should just do what the idol holder wants! Wooo! But if one side or the other can't resist tinkering with things then it could get interesting and there could be blowback. Or, who knows, maybe a tribe splits down the middle and one faction is actually able to take control thanks to this thing, although I mostly doubt it.

I hope the person who gets it has their tribe win immunity so they have to give it away. That seems like fun because then you can give it to someone that you can tell is going home, or someone you can tell is a live wire, and then there can be some fireworks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's even better because the person who has to will it has no idea who anybody on the other tribe is. I mean logic dictates you give it to the weakest looking person you could cause havoc.

I'm wondering how they'll get them to decide though without letting the rest of the tribe now. Probably in just a confessional?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, it most likely will just be in a confessional. I'm sure they probably do confessionals with probably everybody after every immunity challenge. Just most of it never airs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AU Survivor up to the last episode:

Ehhhh another twist. This one I'm not super fond of. Would have been pretty interesting to see how it would have gone down otherwise.

Asaga's kind of screwed yeah? It's Luke/Jericho/Odette/Sarah against Samatau unless Michelle buys herself enough time. Even then Luke and Sarah are going to tear each other apart and Tara will probably flip back the moment she realizes the numbers.

Also there's 22 days left and 13 people remaining. They really have to speed up the vote-outs at this point.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I just saw Woo in a Citi Card commercial lol

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That's more commercial success than every former Survivor* contestant ever.

*whose name isn't Elisabeth Hasselbeck

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

Andrea Boehlke's doing okay, too.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rafe is the show runner for the Wheel of Time tv show!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
and Cochran is writing for a lovely CBS sitcom!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Chase Rice went on to become a legit country music superstar.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also Varner (screw that guy) is apparently writing a book.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ugh. Less Varner the better. I was pretty quick to defend him so many months after the fact but then he went and tried to make it all about him... especially at that finale.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Spatula City posted:

and Cochran is writing for a lovely CBS sitcom!

Wow he went from writing for one lovely sitcom to another. Not even I watch Kevin Can Wait and I watch The Big Bang Theory. They killed off Kevin James skinny TV wife on the show so they could bring in his old skinny TV wife.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

AU Survivor up to the last episode:

Ehhhh another twist. This one I'm not super fond of. Would have been pretty interesting to see how it would have gone down otherwise.

And once again, the twist is fine in theory but terrible in execution. Mutinies are interesting, and I like the idea of a twist where exactly one person needs to mutiny and no more than one can. The problem, as usual with Australian Survivor, is misleading the players into thinking they're voting someone out and thereby punishing good players for actually planning for a vote off. All these twists do is encourage conservative gameplay, where you can never try to orchestrate any big move in this game because you can't actually trust that the host is telling the truth about what the purpose of Tribal Council or even the purpose of your vote actually is.

It would be very unfair and unsatisfying if Sarah winds up leaving next because of this, almost an exact mirror of when Phoebe went home last season in a similar spot after a similar twist screwed her for a similar reason.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

(Comment on Australian Survivor Episode 13) At least this time they didn't take it all the way to the point of having the players vote before telling them it was a fake vote. As it is, they just went to tribal aired out their laundry and then ended up not having to vote. Still sucks for those trying to put everything into that vote, but it's not that big of a deal to be like, nope we actually aren't voting tonight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
(AU Ep16)

Well, Henry/Locky/Michelle flipped. Once again if you don't keep people on the bottom happy it comes back to bite you.

I'm not sure if it was the right move for Locky; on one hand, he was clearly on the bottom of Samatau. On the other hand, he's now on the bottom of Asaga. He's also way too close to Henry and he needs to eventually betray him if he wants to win. I'm not even sure why he used Henry as an excuse to vote Jarrad when they were going after Luke.

Obvious vote though, when it was between a person who was invisible and one of the people featured in early promos (Sarah, Luke, Henry, Tara) that soon.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

This season is such a nice change from the breakneck pace of Game Changers. Michelle is so funny.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My mom really got into Survivor recently, so I've spent the past month or so watching it with her. This show is wayyyyyyy more interesting than I thought. It's basically Realpolitik: the Game. Caramoan was where I jumped in, so Cochran is my favorite winner so far just because I will never forget the moment when I realized 'wait, he's controlling this entire game and nobody is calling him out on it. Do they not see what is happening?' No, no they did not, and it was kind of amazing to watch. Dude played so well in what was apparently his second season that I kind of want to go back and watch the season where everybody dumped on him just so I can appreciate his ascendance even more.

Anyway, I have some thoughts on some of the other winners:
Sarah - She played Tony's game better than he did, because Tony's game is a cop's game. It is literally their job to get in with you, get you to drop your guard and think they're your friend so you confide in them against your own self-interest. She did her job, and she did it well, without any of the insanity and flashiness of Tony, and it more or less let her control the game. How many times did she stand between two alliances and cast the deciding vote this season? Because I feel like it was a lot. By the time anyone realized what she was doing, it was too late to stop her; she had the legacy immunity and immediately thereafter got herself a big dumb challenge-winning guard dog (and that guard dog's other dog) to protect her right up to FTC, where she summarily smoked them both.
Adam - In the scheme of things, Adam is probably one of the weaker winners, but he definitely deserved the win over the two he was with. He played hard, hosed up, recovered, built trust, broke trust, built it again, found idols and advantages, and used them... reasonably well. The F5 idol saved his life even if he blabbed about it to Hannah, the only thing that changed was losing the chance to get David out one vote earlier. And playing his advantage by publicly not playing it was, honestly, loving brilliant. Giving it to Jay to further their love-hate bromance was also a great move. He made great relationships where it counted, and it got him the million dollars. And that's not even getting into his storyline, which is insane in that it sounds like the plot of a sappy Lifetime movie but it actually happened to a real person right in front of us. People say they're worried about people trying to sway the jury with sob stories but if anything, I think Adam has effectively killed that strategy because every future jury will know his story and no one will ever come close to it.
Jeremy - :whatup: This dude. It is amazing to me that nobody came for him until the end of the game, because he's... well, look at him. He's ripped to shreds. He's handsome and likable and athletic. That's not even getting into his family stuff; that's just looking at him as a person. The fact that he was able to hide in plain loving sight for an entire game against people who should have known better is loving hilarious to me. By the time people realized what he was doing, it was too late. An idol, an immunity challenge, and a final three deal carried him to an easy win.
Tony - *llama noises*

Anyway, that's all for now.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mike may have completely hosed his game with that bad move during the auction but his winning streak and forcing the opposing alliance to eat themselves was delicious to watch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
David and Ken are pretty much like Yul and Ozzy from Cook Islands. David's more paranoid and far less athletic, but otherwise they form the 'smart nerd and not so strategic jock duo'. If this wasn't a season where everyone was pressured to make big moves you might have seen them in the F3 and Ken would have a realistic chance of winning because the jury wouldn't be all about strategy.

Adam and Sarah were for me 'the most deserving of the people left', but I'm not super fond of them as winners, personality wise.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

David and Ken are pretty much like Yul and Ozzy from Cook Islands. David's more paranoid and far less athletic, but otherwise they form the 'smart nerd and not so strategic jock duo'. If this wasn't a season where everyone was pressured to make big moves you might have seen them in the F3 and Ken would have a realistic chance of winning because the jury wouldn't be all about strategy.

Adam and Sarah were for me 'the most deserving of the people left', but I'm not super fond of them as winners, personality wise.

That's the thing though; Survivor is, ultimately, about whatever the jury wants it to be about. If they want to reward loyalty, they can. If they want to reward smarts and Machiavellian scheming, they can. If they want to reward athleticism, friendship, or literally just not being as big an rear end in a top hat as the other finalists, they can. It's completely subjective, so the winner of reach season has to not only make it to the final 3, but know their fellow castaways well enough to give them what they want as jury members, and Ken didn't do that. You can watch the jury speaks videos; Ken was one person everybody wanted to take to the end because A. they knew their group as a whole valued gameplay, B. they knew Ken didn't know them that well, therefore C. Ken had no chance with any configuration of jury members against anyone who actually played the game. It wasn't just about loyalty; Ken didn't really bother to build relationships with anybody outside his core group. Sure, he got them fish, but he didn't really bother to get to know them. So he actually fails on two criteria; giving the money to the best schemer, and giving the money to my friend who I like.

Plus, the whole jury agrees that if David had made the final three, he wins in a landslide against anyone. That fake idol was a :master: even if it didn't actually affect the game that much.

(Incidentally, the jury speaks videos for Millie v Gex are hilarious, because you can tell that most of them are struggling valiantly to even pretend that Hannah or Ken has a chance of getting their vote, and the ones that aren't struggling basically flat-out say they're voting Adam and nothing will change their minds.)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

(Comment on Australian Survivor Episode 13) At least this time they didn't take it all the way to the point of having the players vote before telling them it was a fake vote. As it is, they just went to tribal aired out their laundry and then ended up not having to vote. Still sucks for those trying to put everything into that vote, but it's not that big of a deal to be like, nope we actually aren't voting tonight.

(Spoilers through Australian Survivor Ep 15) While actually holding a fake vote is definitely worse, it's definitely a big deal for production to be lying to the players. Even if this particular example didn't seem to really screw over any major player, last season in a very similar situation Phoebe *was* screwed over. In one of the last pre-merge votes, Phoebe had the votes lined up to get Kristy out and when the vote was cancelled by the kidnap-Sue twist, that gave Kristy an extra 3 days to figure out what happened and turn the situation around on Phoebe.

And even if nobody got screwed this time (and probably Odette would disagree with that), the cumulative effects of the players being unable to trust production will be very bad in the longrun. If I'm playing some future season of Australian Survivor, I'm much less likely to set up any sort of carefully orchestrated blindside because ~20% of the time the vote I think is happening is not actually real and the downside of my blindside being exposed and my game being ruined in the next round is probably too high.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spergatory posted:

That's the thing though; Survivor is, ultimately, about whatever the jury wants it to be about. If they want to reward loyalty, they can. If they want to reward smarts and Machiavellian scheming, they can. If they want to reward athleticism, friendship, or literally just not being as big an rear end in a top hat as the other finalists, they can. It's completely subjective, so the winner of reach season has to not only make it to the final 3, but know their fellow castaways well enough to give them what they want as jury members, and Ken didn't do that. You can watch the jury speaks videos; Ken was one person everybody wanted to take to the end because A. they knew their group as a whole valued gameplay, B. they knew Ken didn't know them that well, therefore C. Ken had no chance with any configuration of jury members against anyone who actually played the game. It wasn't just about loyalty; Ken didn't really bother to build relationships with anybody outside his core group. Sure, he got them fish, but he didn't really bother to get to know them. So he actually fails on two criteria; giving the money to the best schemer, and giving the money to my friend who I like.

Plus, the whole jury agrees that if David had made the final three, he wins in a landslide against anyone. That fake idol was a :master: even if it didn't actually affect the game that much.

(Incidentally, the jury speaks videos for Millie v Gex are hilarious, because you can tell that most of them are struggling valiantly to even pretend that Hannah or Ken has a chance of getting their vote, and the ones that aren't struggling basically flat-out say they're voting Adam and nothing will change their minds.)

Oh, yeah, the deck was stacked against Ken. It's a shame since he was doing very well pre-merge, but once he showed how inflexible he was he was pretty much the goat.

I don't know who else from MvG might come back in a future season - Zeke and Michaela had their run. I can't see most of the Gen X tribe coming back except maybe David. Hannah? Eh. But production has made stranger casting decisions before; they brought back Hali and Sierra and they did perform respectably; Hali just had horrible luck and Sierra lost to her emotions.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
^ I disagree, M vs. Gen X was received very well by everyone - fans like the season, Rob Cesternino has debated whether the millennials tribe is one of the best ever, Jeff Probst seems to feel the same way (notice how young the entire S36 cast is). Also in this day and age returnee seasons happen very frequently. I could see David and Jay coming back very soon, others like Hannah, Michelle, Figgy, Jessica in consideration and that it's a better than 50% chance Michaela gets a third shot a few years down the line.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh, yeah, the deck was stacked against Ken. It's a shame since he was doing very well pre-merge, but once he showed how inflexible he was he was pretty much the goat.

I don't know who else from MvG might come back in a future season - Zeke and Michaela had their run. I can't see most of the Gen X tribe coming back except maybe David. Hannah? Eh. But production has made stranger casting decisions before; they brought back Hali and Sierra and they did perform respectably; Hali just had horrible luck and Sierra lost to her emotions.

How could you leave out Jay? Jay is one of the most memorable characters Survivor has produced in a long time. He's positive and funny, a legitimate challenge threat, and was loved by everyone on the island to the point where David thinks that if it were he and Jay in the final three, they would've had to have the first-ever Sole Survivor tie-breaker. Plus he had one of the most :laffo: eliminations in Survivor history, and still managed to be a good sport about it.

EDIT: Now I'm watching Samoa for the first time. It's weird going from a season like MvGX where there are a bunch of protagonists with compelling stories you can root for to a season structured almost entirely around a single villain you root against.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 20, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yeah luara was the worst

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bring back Dave Ball

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Apparently the producers keep trying to go for an All-Winners season but they can't get enough female winners who actually want to come back. They're perfectly happy with their families, financial security, and easy access to food and hygiene products, thanks. Which is hilarious because basically all the dudes are ready and raring to go for another round (except Cochran, who has his perfect game in the bag and knows good and drat well he's not getting another one).

Personally, I'd love to see SURVIVOR: Goats and Cutthroats. A season of contestants who made it to final tribal council but lost because they either did nothing or everyone hated them. Basically I just want to see goats turn into over-the-top assholes who are trying to do too much, and cutthroats awkwardly try to be nice. (Though most of them will probably play exactly the same game they did the first time).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hated Jay but for the life of me I can't remember why.

I know he was with Figgy in that douchey cool kids alliance and backstabbed Michaela out of insecurity... but I don't feel like I cared strongly enough about either of those things but I really think I hated that guy.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I hated Jay but for the life of me I can't remember why.

I know he was with Figgy in that douchey cool kids alliance and backstabbed Michaela out of insecurity... but I don't feel like I cared strongly enough about either of those things but I really think I hated that guy.

I wouldn't go as far to say that I hate Jay but I do think he is pretty overrated. I think he only stood out so much because all of the major characters that season were dorky anxious superfans (Zeke, Adam, Hannah, David), and he and Ken were the only major figures that didn't fit that archetype.

Of the two, I think Ken would be a much more interesting returnee since he has no obvious analogue to a player from another season, whereas Jay has several better iterations of the same "aggressive-playing, idol-finding, douchey cool kid with a charming gentler side" archetype (Malcolm, namely).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not like against the idea of Jay returning. From what I can remember he seemed socially capable, a competitor, and capable of learning from mistakes. But didn't he also eat the tribe's food behind their back and then try and argue it didn't count because a douchier guy gave it to him?

But I still don't think that's why I hated him. I'm at a loss.

Ken's the kind of old school survivor player I always get a kick out of but I don't think players like that really have a lot of room to improve their games or do something different. Like, Ken's not going to show up and suddenly not be a middle aged dude who kind of dads everyone and gets disappointed when they blindside someone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spergatory posted:

How could you leave out Jay? Jay is one of the most memorable characters Survivor has produced in a long time. He's positive and funny, a legitimate challenge threat, and was loved by everyone on the island to the point where David thinks that if it were he and Jay in the final three, they would've had to have the first-ever Sole Survivor tie-breaker. Plus he had one of the most :laffo: eliminations in Survivor history, and still managed to be a good sport about it.

EDIT: Now I'm watching Samoa for the first time. It's weird going from a season like MvGX where there are a bunch of protagonists with compelling stories you can root for to a season structured almost entirely around a single villain you root against.

Jay was surprisingly pleasant, but for me he was just Joe with a better sob story and a mite more strategy. He's more tolerable than Adam at least.

I like Ken so I wouldn't mind him returning, but I don't think he realistically has a chance of winning without getting into a very tight 3-man alliance with whom he can take equal credit.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

^ I disagree, M vs. Gen X was received very well by everyone - fans like the season, Rob Cesternino has debated whether the millennials tribe is one of the best ever, Jeff Probst seems to feel the same way (notice how young the entire S36 cast is). Also in this day and age returnee seasons happen very frequently. I could see David and Jay coming back very soon, others like Hannah, Michelle, Figgy, Jessica in consideration and that it's a better than 50% chance Michaela gets a third shot a few years down the line.

I'm a bit more down on the season mainly because of how many characters post-merge that were buried by the edit - looking at you Will and Sunday, but Chris also got barely any screentime, Ken pretty much disappeared, and Jessica only existed to get rocked. Even Brett, who had some screentime, was pretty much handwaved by most people as 'yeah he's got no chance' because we don't actually see him do anything and then suddenly he's seen as this massive jury threat in his boot episode.

Still a good season, but it could have cut out a lot of the chaff.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like Ken so I wouldn't mind him returning

Still a good season, but it could have cut out a lot of the chaff.

Just putting these two concepts beside each other because who is more chaffy than Ken?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hopefully we can just get a US Survivor VS Aussie Survivor season in the future. Although might be odd for the Aussie players to only have to play a 39 day game...

Also we are like a week away from new season... we going to just keep making GBS threads in this thread or get a new one up?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

Just putting these two concepts beside each other because who is more chaffy than Ken?

Ken's like a more quiet Ozzy or J.T. He's a great provider and challenge guy, and he's loyal to a fault, but I wouldn't trust him to make up any strategy. And there's room in a cast for someone like that - fill a cast full of strategists and you can either get great results or a very confusing scenario where everyone's too scheming to trust anyone else or make a solid alliance. Which is why I didn't mind that they got people like Caleb or Hali to come back for Game Changers; I don't want a cast just full of people looking to make the Next Big Move like Survivor has been turning into. Sometimes you need a rock solid, dependable ally in the group, but maybe with a bit more to him other than 'he ate too much meat at a reward and got medevaced'. (Sorry BvBvB Joe.)

I mean, Sunday and Will were hungry to prove themselves and the editors decided they were much better cannon fodder than the guy who barely spoke ten sentences post-merge despite making it to the end.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hopefully we can just get a US Survivor VS Aussie Survivor season in the future. Although might be odd for the Aussie players to only have to play a 39 day game...

Also we are like a week away from new season... we going to just keep making GBS threads in this thread or get a new one up?

Maybe it's just me but there's been very little buzz about the new season? But I like the look of some of the cast members, might be a decent one to watch once they shake off the terrible theme.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Like most seasons, the theme will be forgotten in about 3 episodes, with Jeff awkwardly trying to bring it up at Tribal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't even really understand this theme and haven't paid enough attention to remember what it is. They'll hammer us over the head with it for 2 episodes and then there will be a tribal swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yes, but then Jeff will continue to mention what theme everybody was part of every tribal at the beginning like anyone really cares.

• Locked thread