Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The book doesn't mention it but you can get an automated mob farm setup using Ember's vacuum hopper. It only takes 10 lead ingots, which is something like 20 lead alchemical dust due to the inefficient early tier condensers, but lead is clay+blaze powder so not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
The guide doesn't really give you much help for how to automate at all. The Sky Resource specific one has a few pointers for the stuff where its own items contribute, but anything you have to dig into other mods for won't be covered. Embers has the earliest solutions for automating metal production and cobblestone, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

A block breaker from Random Things will work for automating cobblestone. You can make a compressor for cheaper plates (then switch to the tinker's smeltery once you've got coke dust.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Another easy, early game automation trick: once you get redstone, you can abuse droppers. A dropper not only deposits a single item into the world, it can also deposit a single item into an inventory that it's pointing towards. Use droppers to help automate your combustion chamber. Have one dropper as one of the five surrounding blocks of the multiblock, and a second dropper pointing into the combustion chamber itself. Fill the first with gunpowder, and the second with tiny charcoal. Preload 75 heat units into the combustion chamber, and then make a simple circuit to activate both droppers, then the combustion chamber (delay one tick with a repeater) at the push of a button. Bam, push-button blaze powder. A combustion collector makes this even better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As long as we're on the subject, are there any good Modern Skyblock 2 LPs out there?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

As long as we're on the subject, are there any good Modern Skyblock 2 LPs out there?

The only one I know of is SystemCollapse's LP, but he just started it. He also has said that he isn't a big fan of the pack, so I dunno how far he'll get into it. Direwolf20 livestreams it, too, on Mixer, so you may be able to watch the VODs.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hey I'm making an Imp Zone minecraft server and I want like some good quality of life mods, like vanilla+. Maybe some new content to explore and find too idk. I really have never done this before so any advice is appreciated.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What even IS Imp Zone?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Average Bear posted:

Hey I'm making an Imp Zone minecraft server and I want like some good quality of life mods, like vanilla+. Maybe some new content to explore and find too idk. I really have never done this before so any advice is appreciated.

Quality of life: Inventory Tweaks, JEI, Iron Chests, Storage Drawers

Content: Quark, maybe Better With Mods (turn all hardcore features off because they're trash), Roguelike Dungeons, Tinkers Construct

People will probably give me poo poo for recommending Better With Mods as it is a remake of an infamous mod made by an insane shithead, but unlike the original mod you can turn off the horrible bullshit and what you're left with is possibly the most "Vanilla+" content mod that exists. It really feels like in some alternate timeline the base game could have gotten that stuff.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fortis posted:

Quality of life: Inventory Tweaks, JEI, Iron Chests, Storage Drawers

Content: Quark, maybe Better With Mods (turn all hardcore features off because they're trash), Roguelike Dungeons, Tinkers Construct

People will probably give me poo poo for recommending Better With Mods as it is a remake of an infamous mod made by an insane shithead, but unlike the original mod you can turn off the horrible bullshit and what you're left with is possibly the most "Vanilla+" content mod that exists. It really feels like in some alternate timeline the base game could have gotten that stuff.

These all look great, thanks!

McFrugal posted:

What even IS Imp Zone?

A subforum of games with more relaxed rules and an emphasis on actually liking video games. A good place to discus games without the weirdos that orbit around games and SA in general. Fall tryouts are coming up soon.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Average Bear posted:

These all look great, thanks!
Get Iron Backbacks too. That mod is sick.

Waystones is maybe vanilla enough. You can build arpg-esque "waypoints" in the world and you bind your pearl thing to them and then you can warp to places from a list. There are also public waystones that are automatically provided but only admins can make them. So later on you could add The Nether or The End to the public waystones if you want people to be lazy.

Carpenter's Blocks / Chisels & Bits are cool mods for building stuff. It depends what version you are on. They add sloped blocks and the ability to use different block textures on different faces. Chisels n Bits allows you to do really tiny pixel art type stuff.

Average Bear posted:

A subforum of games with more relaxed rules and an emphasis on actually liking video games. A good place to discus games without the weirdos that orbit around games and SA in general. Fall tryouts are coming up soon.
I'm a big weirdo that orbits around some games.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 8, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I FINALLY got the rolling machine in MSB2. That empowered restonia is a real slog -- you have to grind Evilcraft blood, but you can't use the tool for gathering it automatically, so your best option is to grow undead trees, shear the leaves, and squeeze the blood out of em.

Also, empowered palis is a real ball buster. It isn't really that hard to make, but one of the ingredients is blue dye. A very specific blue dye, that you can only get from crushing blue wool or blue carpet in a specific machine. At a 5% drop rate. :argh:

But now I have buckets, which means I have a magma crucible, which means signalum condenser. :peanut:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Sky Resources is a slog. Also the overwhelming reliance on gunpowder (mostly for blaze powder) is annoying. I've got a mob grinder but I can't really control how many creepers spawn in it, or how much gunpowder they drop when they die, if any. I can make it now at least, but that's not really very efficient considering it uses 1100 HU. On the other hand, I have Secundus Alchemical Dust now, which creates a nice feedback loop for itself at least, as well as allowing me to get appreciable amounts of metals. :toot:

The methods are interesting I guess but it feels vastly more effort/grindy than just hammering a stack of condensed cobble and then pushing a stack of condensed gravel/sand/dust through a heavy sieve, followed by moving onto auto-sieves. But, Ex Nihilo has pretty much had the monopoly on, well, ex nihilo packs like skyblocks so different approaches are good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Sky Resources is a slog. Also the overwhelming reliance on gunpowder (mostly for blaze powder) is annoying. I've got a mob grinder but I can't really control how many creepers spawn in it, or how much gunpowder they drop when they die, if any.

Your mob farm must not have very good throughput, then. What kind is it?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Your mob farm must not have very good throughput, then. What kind is it?

A basic drop tower currently. I've never had to make a high-yield mob farm before, so I admit vast room for improvement. I've discarded thousands of arrows and bones and hundreds of inferium essence and archaic bricks though, but have gotten a relative handful of gunpowder.

Nevets posted:

Once you get steel production going all the flint you got while grinding cobble down to sand can be combusted to gunpowder.

Yeah, I've just started working on getting a rubber sapling so I can work towards a compressor.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 9, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Once you get steel production going all the flint you got while grinding cobble down to sand can be combusted to gunpowder.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

A basic drop tower currently. I've never had to make a high-yield mob farm before, so I admit vast room for improvement. I've discarded thousands of arrows and bones and hundreds of inferium essence and archaic bricks though, but have gotten a relative handful of gunpowder.

Huh, that's really strange, then.

The latest update added Ender Zoo, which appears to do nothing but clog my sorting setup with bullshit.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ugh, Ender Zoo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

To be fair, Ender Zoo had one redeeming factor: the Enderminis. At least, it was a redeeming factor when coupled with the Morph mod. Transforming yourself into an endermini was the best thing ever for running cables in tight spaces.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, related to MSB2 -- once you get a smeltery and start getting ender tears from your mob farm, make enderium casings for all your stuff. They're insane. My enderium casing/combustion thinger can process a stack of netherrack or redstone at a time, and it runs on RF, not fuel. My enderium/signalum condenser has 1200% efficiency.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay the scaling on that mod is pretty cool.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
If anyone's interested in trying out some 1.12.1 Minecraft, I have a new modpack out called The Lost Travels, featuring Lost Cities. It's kitchen-sink-y, but with some exploration-encouraged stuff in the form of the cities themselves, Defiled Lands, and Elemental Dimension (and Twilight Forest to be added later once it's out and at least semi-stable.)

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Serifina posted:

If anyone's interested in trying out some 1.12.1 Minecraft, I have a new modpack out called The Lost Travels, featuring Lost Cities. It's kitchen-sink-y, but with some exploration-encouraged stuff in the form of the cities themselves, Defiled Lands, and Elemental Dimension (and Twilight Forest to be added later once it's out and at least semi-stable.)

Oooh, will do so tomorrow! Was looking for a reason to go past 1.10

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i will play modern skyblock 2

i shall, however, shed a tear for terrafirmacraft EZ, the last modpack i played that i genuinely adored

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i will play modern skyblock 2
i shall, however, shed a tear for terrafirmacraft EZ, the last modpack i played that i genuinely adored
Hey, thanks. That means a lot. There was a lot of leadup to it but then after release interest seemed to die out pretty instantly. I'm glad to hear someone enjoyed that pack after I spent way too much time on it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it was extremely well done and i didn't have to afk waiting for trees to grow

also it was a challenge even if i played on peaceful, due to the nature of terrafirmacraft

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Hey, thanks. That means a lot. There was a lot of leadup to it but then after release interest seemed to die out pretty instantly. I'm glad to hear someone enjoyed that pack after I spent way too much time on it.

Oh sorry. Yeah I really appreciated the work you did making that confusing-rear end thing approachable and interesting too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah it was good times for me, although my interest in TFC generally fizzled out right around when I didn't even have to tedious poo poo out steel manually any more.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Vib Rib posted:

Here's another satisfied player of that modpack. I was in the middle of putting together the Immersive Engineering arc thingy before interest petered out for other things.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Are there any multiblock mid-range power options from other mods to fill the gab between water mills/thermoelectric and diesel generators in IE? I'm playing a custom 1.12.1 pack and already have the Petroleum and Tech addons, but those are geared for end game unless I'm missing something. I'm just trying to keep the industrial, multiblock aesthetic going in my build.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Treecapitator seemed like the most awesome mod ever but doesn't seem to be updated to 1.12.1. Anyone know of a similar mod? Cuts the whole tree and leaves down instead of having to harvest each block.

I have played less than 5 hours of Minecraft by the way, so I'm a complete noob.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadget posted:

Treecapitator seemed like the most awesome mod ever but doesn't seem to be updated to 1.12.1. Anyone know of a similar mod? Cuts the whole tree and leaves down instead of having to harvest each block.

I have played less than 5 hours of Minecraft by the way, so I'm a complete noob.

Veinminer and OreExcavator both do this, despite their name. It basically just breaks a bunch of the same kind of block as long as they're connected, and you're holding the button. Tinker's Construct also has a Lumber Axe that will cut down entire trees regardless of their size.

central dogma posted:

Are there any multiblock mid-range power options from other mods to fill the gab between water mills/thermoelectric and diesel generators in IE? I'm playing a custom 1.12.1 pack and already have the Petroleum and Tech addons, but those are geared for end game unless I'm missing something. I'm just trying to keep the industrial, multiblock aesthetic going in my build.

Advanced Generators is basically this. Extremely scalable multiblock generators, either running on steam (with a steam boiler multiblock you can use) or a wide variety of fuels. EnvironmentalTech also has a solar array for various stages of development and resources though. Tier 1 is like 640 rf/t, tier 2 is 4096. Not really endgame at all, though it would kinda invalidate making a diesel gen for anything other than style. That said, in AoE I went straight from three waterwheels to a diesel gen.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 10, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GoGoGadget posted:

In addition to what Black Pants said, you'll probably want a mod for fast leaf decay. Most versions, it's called Fast Leaf Decay, oddly enough.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

GoGoGadget posted:

In addition to the above there is also Tree Chopper.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmmm not Galacticraft nor Advanced Rocketry for 1.12.x. Does anybody have a scoop on either of them?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hmmm not Galacticraft nor Advanced Rocketry for 1.12.x. Does anybody have a scoop on either of them?

Apparently Advanced Rocketry has been abandoned. Like, it's dead, according to a lot of people I've read.

Edit: well, it might not be. The dev just hasn't been responding to github issues and such for over a month.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 10, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's a shame, I kept hearing good things about it in comparison to Galacticraft.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Apparently Advanced Rocketry has been abandoned. Like, it's dead, according to a lot of people I've read.

Edit: well, it might not be. The dev just hasn't been responding to github issues and such for over a month.

I sincerely hope it's not something like a Flowerchild Zealot running around killing mod authors or something but with how crazy people are it wouldn't surprise me.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Black Pants posted:

Yeah, I had to switch my MC 1.11.2 modpack from Advanced Rocketry to GalactiCraft (update not out yet with this change) as Advanced Rocketry doesn't work and the mod author has silently disappeared.

GalactiCraft has plans to update to MC 1.12+, just no ETA yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Does anyone have a solution for Twitch not downloading modpacks (both new and updates)?