Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm comes back to HBO for a ninth season on Oct 1 @10pm. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvLpN1pMNHA

“In the immortal words of Julius Caesar, 'I left, I did nothing, I returned.'”

Curb is, of course, the half-hour sitcom created by and starring Seinfeld co-creator Larry David, serving as a fictionalised portrayal of real life. The humour is like Seinfeld on crack, with way more cringe and adult material, usually revolving around Larry's misunderstanding of social niceties and refusal to bend to what he sees as arbitrary rules. It's the perfect show for anyone who can relate to feeling like the only sane person in an insane world, as while Larry is a tremendous rear end in a top hat, the people around him (including wife-turned-ex Cheryl, agent Jeff, his wife Susie, Richard Lewis, and any number of celebrity guests) are frequently even worse.

Seasons usually have a vague arc - such as Larry trying to open a restaurant, getting cast in The Producers on Broadway, or trying to organise a Seinfeld reunion as a way of getting Cheryl back - but the show as a whole is pretty episodic, with storylines that can range from Larry not being made aware of his mother's death because she asked his father "not to bother him", to a newspaper misspelling an obituary he sent in as "Beloved oval office", to complaining that a sandwich named after him isn't very tasty, to him speculating if his Korean bookie stole his friend's dog to cook. Usually he ends up offending anyone and everyone he comes into contact with.

I made this thread a lil early because I'm still watching through the show in full for the first time (had only ever seen s7 before) in time for the new season to start and it's a space to potentially leave thoughts, and I also thought others might want to discuss the show a bit given that it's been off the air for six years now. I'm currently towards the end of season 5, and can't believe I never got around to this before considering Seinfeld is maybe my all-time favourite comedy - it's absolutely genius so, so often. The last few minutes of season 4 especially had me absolutely rolling.

Who else is excited??

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bad first reply to this thread but I just finished s5 and drat that whole heaven thing sucked horribly

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Bad first reply to this thread

Well you're right about one thing

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Curb is so loving good and I'm happy that HBO and Larry David are content to just make it when he feels like it instead of burning out sticking to a regular schedule.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Well you're right about one thing

That scene is so so bad though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUFBEamEF0Q

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So the entertainment writer James Andrew Miller (he co-wrote Live From New York, which I think is the most-well known book about SNL) has recently started a new podcast called Origins where he interviews a bunch of people related to a piece of media about its beginnings and legacy and such. The first 5 episodes are all about Curb Your Enthusiasm and they're really cool, a lot of fun stories about times on set and the early days, featuring interviews with Larry, Cheryl, Susie, JB, and a whole bunch of others, including the HBO chief at the time of the series' premiere, Chris Albrecht. I'd definitely recommend it to any fans of the show.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/origins-with-james-andrew-miller/id1266445999

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

So the entertainment writer James Andrew Miller (he co-wrote Live From New York, which I think is the most-well known book about SNL) has recently started a new podcast called Origins where he interviews a bunch of people related to a piece of media about its beginnings and legacy and such. The first 5 episodes are all about Curb Your Enthusiasm and they're really cool, a lot of fun stories about times on set and the early days, featuring interviews with Larry, Cheryl, Susie, JB, and a whole bunch of others, including the HBO chief at the time of the series' premiere, Chris Albrecht. I'd definitely recommend it to any fans of the show.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/origins-with-james-andrew-miller/id1266445999

God bless you for this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god "The N-Word" had me in absolute gales of laughter, gently caress

Season 6 has been loving awesome. I was already looking forward to Leon but he's totally exceeded my lofty expectations.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Leon is an amazing character if only for encouraging Larry to get in that rear end!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I see a lot of myself in Larry David- neurotic and apt to saying stupid and tasteless things.

Escobarbarian posted:

Bad first reply to this thread but I just finished s5 and drat that whole heaven thing sucked horribly
I'm binging it and I'm midway through S4. Should I skip that season? I hear it's not as good as the rest.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
No, watch it. It's still Curb, and Larry David is still a bald rear end in a top hat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 5 is maybe the least good so far but I still really enjoyed it for the most part. It's only the final 10-15 minutes of the finale I didn't like. Although I admit I have a huge bias against any "down-to-earth" sitcom doing fantasy stuff out of nowhere - it really takes me out of it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Season 5 rules. The Ski Lift is one of the best episodes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if the leaked episodes are any indication this will be the best and funniest season yet.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Are the leaked eps worth watching even though episode 1 is missing? I heard it was hard to follow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've heard the same thing. Apparently it's very much a serialised season in certain ways.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's not really hard to follow. There is heavy reference to something that happens in episode 1 but you don't really need to know exactly what it is. You can kind of piece it together like a Tarantino movie. All you really need to know it tells you over the next couple of epis - some poo poo went down involving a TV production of the satanic versesand there is now a fatwa on Larry

there are no jokes that rely on having seen the first episode at all

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 14, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

Curb is so loving good and I'm happy that HBO and Larry David are content to just make it when he feels like it instead of burning out sticking to a regular schedule.

:same: it's in my top...3? comedies of all time and if it takes him a decade to do a season just because, I know that season will be good because Larry cares enough to do it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've been rewatching the entire series in anticipation for this (just finished 7) and have determined that The Ski Lift is the best episode from front to back (and 5 might be the best season). Larry's fake Yiddish, the big vagina, the edible panties, etc. are all so loving perfect.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I still think the producers arc is brilliant through and through, but goddamn if Kamikaze Bingo isn't one of the funniest things I've seen on television.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season's getting closer! I just finished 7 and those last two episodes are still two of the most genius pieces of comedic television of all time

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Finally got around to burning through this. Highly recommended.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Ringer took a stab at ranking all 80 episodes. I disagree with their top choice, because Palestinian Chicken is quite literally the funniest thing I have ever seen on TV

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/9/26/16364076/curb-your-enthusiasm-episodes-ranked

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

The Ringer took a stab at ranking all 80 episodes. I disagree with their top choice, because Palestinian Chicken is quite literally the funniest thing I have ever seen on TV

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/9/26/16364076/curb-your-enthusiasm-episodes-ranked

I'm gonna fight Sean Fennessey because the best episode is at 60 and their #1 is mid tier at best

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Watch "Long Shot" on Netflix. It's only about 40 minutes.

CyE saved a life.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Carlosologist posted:

"The Therapists" is one of my favourites episodes. Surprised it's so low on that ranking. I agree that their #1 isn't even that amazing of an episode.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Carlosologist posted:

Vulture's list might be more to your liking.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

get that OUT of my face posted:

I see a lot of myself in Larry David- neurotic and apt to saying stupid and tasteless things.

I'm binging it and I'm midway through S4. Should I skip that season? I hear it's not as good as the rest.

Season 4 is alright, season 5 is the worst of the series. Season 6 and on are great because Leon shows up

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How on earth are there multiple people who think Season 5 is the worst?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Escobarbarian posted:

This is incredible. Love hearing that "Prognosis Negative" was an actual script Larry David wrote that showed up in a Seinfeld episode. Makes me wonder about "Rochelle Rochelle" and "Chunnel" too..

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Larry raging out against a squeeze bottle is fantastic

"an 'after you' vibe" :allears:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

This is gold already. It's like there was no break at all.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Richard Lewis remains as great as he ever was

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That was everything I hoped for. Every scene was spot on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Ayatollah declaring a Fatwa on Larry is the funniest thing ever.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FATWA?!

Edit: I feel like Larry's had all this material about the Ayatollah in his back pocket since the 80's and has been dying to use it somewhere.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 2, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The whole joke about Larry making a play about Salmon Rushdie is hilarious on its own. Then they crank it up to 11 with that stuff. Comedy gold.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
FOISTED! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did anyone else immediately google "Ted Danson" to make sure him and Mary were still married IRL? :ohdear:

• Locked thread