Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
B This is a good system.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of gas giants, even if there isn't any Sorium to be found terrestrially. There is a very good chance for another 1-3 JP's leading elsewhere, and we have plenty of sources of fuel in Sol. That said, finding and exploiting an extrasolar source of Sorium should be priority #3, after repairing our naval production and launching a jump capable survey ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Honestly, if we net Uranus from this deal we should be sitting pretty for sorium for a while. I'm interested in getting more of the other TNEs to boost our manufacturing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Also someone should lean on the techies and get them to work on researching engine upgrades, because once you start exploring extrasolar systems being able to react to threats quickly is paramount and 3-4k km/s isn't gonna cut it when you have to send a fleet across 4 jump points. I say start them researching now even though we don't even have a gravitational scanning ship (to find new jump points) yet because engine tech takes a lot time to research and prototype.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B no brainer.

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016

Dirt5o8 posted:

I gotta ask: Where is everyone getting these badass sci-fi/space pics from? They're all pretty badass.

I have been wondering the same thing. Makes me want to dream away on a 12 hour shift in the middle of the North Sea.

Also B off course.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Baron-of-hell posted:

I have been wondering the same thing. Makes me want to dream away on a 12 hour shift in the middle of the North Sea.

Also B off course.

Google images, at a guess.

oh and B, with the caveat that we should try and wheedle or trade for some tech from terra if we can as well. what's the situation with pluto?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

B but try to look unhappy about it, that's a pretty darn good system we have there assuming it is uninhabited, no reason to let the terrans know that though. Generally what I'd look for in a system is as many planetary bodies as possible because that means more chances at getting minerals. At least one readily habitable one is good too. Gas giants are nice but you don't need that many of them, they have functionally infinite fuel, the issue is the extraction rate which is a matter of building infrastructure, not how many of them you have.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 10, 2017

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
B, but first try to argue for an arrangement where we get all outer-system JPs and they get the inner-system ones, since a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and we're buying blind and all that. That way we can act like the actual deal we get is a compromise instead of what we want.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
They're not going to agree to that. They've already surveyed the inner system, any new finds will be in the outer system.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Added Space posted:

They're not going to agree to that. They've already surveyed the inner system, any new finds will be in the outer system.

I think that's his point. If you want a puppy, start by asking your parents for a tiger.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Planetary assessment of the provisionally named Te Toi-o-nga-Rangi (TTonR) system regarding colonisation
tl;dr: at least one good, easy colonisation target

Nice, a new system! How good is it actually?
We want new systems for TNE minerals, colonisation potential, extra jump points, galactic strategic position and other fun stuff. Geological & gravitational surveys are needed regarding TNE minerals & any extra jump points but we can take a look at colonisation potential right now

Saros posted:

After over an hour Veloxyll calls it enough. Over the protestations of his astronomers he orders a return to Sol carrying the news of the remarkable system they have discovered. The crew dubs it Te Toi-o-nga-Rangi after the highest heavens of Polynesian lore but this of course will be subject to political whims.

Normal human colonisation tolerances in Aurora, regarding terraforming

We can colonise anything by using a lot of infrastructure but ideally we want to (eventually) get within all tolerances, to have no need for any infrastructure

Gravity Min 0.1 , max 1.9 , cannot ever change

We have 7 candidates within gravity tolerance; TTonR II, TTonR III, TTonR IV's moon, TTonR V, TTonR VI, TTonR VII and TTonR VIII

Breathable atmosphere Min oxygen 0.1 atm, max 30% oxygen of total atmosphere, no dangerous gases, can be changed slowly

One of our candidates, TTonR VII, contains problematic Sulphur Dioxide. It makes up 9.7% of the atmosphere & that atmosphere is somewhat dense at 1.25 atm of total pressure. So we'll need to pump out that ~0.121atm of Sulphur Dioxide before even starting on the other requirements. More than 0.234 atm of preexisting atmosphere is nice, only needing 0.1 atm of oxygen added

Temperature Min surface temperature 10c , max 38c , can be changed slowly by human actions

This is the big one, the requirement that typically needs the most atmospheric changes. We can practically alter the temperature slowly by injecting safe greenhouse or anti-greenhouse gases. There are practical upper & lower limits as we also need to keep the total atmospheric pressure under an (Aurora) human survivable 4.0 atm but we also want to do the least amount of work because it is really slow. We can change 0.001 atm per terraformer per year, speeding up considerably with research. The closer it already is to ideal the better but we also need to consider any frozen hydrospheres. As we warm them up these will thaw, reducing the planetary albedo and giving us a leg up in warming the planet.

TTonR V and in particular TTonR IV's moon stand out the most from just eyeballing it.

TTonR V's massive ice sheet covering 95% of the surface is possibly a really big boost in warming the planet but exactly how much it helps is fairly complex (and I don't know)

TTonR IV's moon will need oxygen but has no pre-existing atmosphere and is already at a tolerant temperature of 10.4c ! We will only need 0.334 atm worth of terraforming to make this ideal; 0.1 atm of oxygen + 0.234 atm of probably nitrogen.
To put this into perspective the amount of atmospheric terraforming changes needed to ideally terraform Venus is 96.55 atm, Mercury needs 0.73 atm, Luna requires 0.334 atm and Mars (from scratch) is 0.324 atm

Ladies & Gentlemen, we are looking at another Mars! Or at least no worse than Luna

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 10, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well we can agree to B if they also give us Pluto alongside Uranus.

I'm very nervous about there not being a fuel source.. this means all our fuel capabilities is in sol and easily interdicted / destroyed by terra.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

B, but act reluctant about it and see if we can wheedle anything else out of them. Pluto for example.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The location of that jump point is currently considered a DMZ, isn't it? That's what started the war in the first place.

Might want to secure Mars' right to build military installations there.

Edit: Oh wait, totally wrong place. I got some comets mixed up.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Affi posted:

I'm very nervous about there not being a fuel source.. this means all our fuel capabilities is in sol and easily interdicted / destroyed by terra.

We don't quite know if there's a fuel source in there or not. There's no gas giants for sure but there may still be regular Sorium deposits. Still it is an interesting consideration and it might be worth shifting a proportional amount of our strategic reserve of fuel into TTonR system, as we move in

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

TheWetFish posted:

We don't quite know if there's a fuel source in there or not. There's no gas giants for sure but there may still be regular Sorium deposits. Still it is an interesting consideration and it might be worth shifting a proportional amount of our strategic reserve of fuel into TTonR system, as we move in

Definitely one of our first priorities once large scale travel is possible should be to set up a military installation and a few well guarded fuel depots.

How far away are those dwarves and how long will it take us to scout their associated bodies? The system will never really be "safe" until we've made sure there aren't any dangers that far out. Will it take our scouts years to go that far and is it impossible for us?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Affi posted:

Definitely one of our first priorities once large scale travel is possible should be to set up a military installation and a few well guarded fuel depots.

How far away are those dwarves and how long will it take us to scout their associated bodies? The system will never really be "safe" until we've made sure there aren't any dangers that far out. Will it take our scouts years to go that far and is it impossible for us?

You're raising really good points but one of the dwarf stars is a tad closer than the other

Saros posted:

A new system discovered.

The first dwarf star - tagged B - orbits at nearly a quarter of a light year and is stretching the definition of being associated with the primary with an orbital period of over two million years.

If it makes you feel better anything out that far is not posing any more of a threat than any unexplored jump points in TTonR which might suddenly deposit surprises a lot closer to us.
Or in Sol. We should really hop along and grav survey the whole system :ohdear:

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
Given that the asteroid belt in that system is beyond a circle ten times the distance of Sun-Pluto, and one of the dwarves is a quarter of a light year away, scanning the whole system on our current tech level seems to be impossible, but given it is only one jump from Mars,we should be able to send help in time.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

In case anyone is interested in visiting one of those stars: at a speed of 4000 km/s it would take about 187,000 years to fly a distance of 1/4 light year. So unless there is an alien presence out there that can travel at relativistic speeds we shouldn't need to worry about it.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
A

So it is a good system with a few terraformable planets, it isn't the best system though. I'm concerned about the possibility that there are no jump points, or it is a system with a bad chain of jump points that lead nowhere. In that case we would be solely reliant upon the Earthers for access to better systems, that gives them power over us and that is a bad thing.
That is if we don't discover new jump points in Sol before they do, I think the Earth has a head start though.

In the short term B is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best option, it could hurt us long term though, so I prefer short term pain for long term gain.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Not really, the only downside with B is that earth has potentialy some fantastic super earth stuffed full of TNEs and needing no terraforming in their JP. All other points after these 2 will be free travel.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Pharnakes posted:

Not really, the only downside with B is that earth has potentialy some fantastic super earth stuffed full of TNEs and needing no terraforming in their JP. All other points after these 2 will be free travel.

OK I slightly misread the proposal

quote:

Agree to the Terran proposal for jump points. Exclusive access to one each in Sol and share any others that are discovered. Terra will likely allow you to annex Uranus and negotiate with the TFS for rights to the Saturn System

I'm still concerned that Earth has a headstart in the home system, they say that future jump point s are shared but they don't say they have to share as soon as the JP is discovered. By the time they reveal new JPs, they could already have sent other ships through and laid claim to what lies beyond.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Earth is significantly ahead in the art of searching for JPs?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sad King Billy posted:

A

So it is a good system with a few terraformable planets, it isn't the best system though. I'm concerned about the possibility that there are no jump points, or it is a system with a bad chain of jump points that lead nowhere. In that case we would be solely reliant upon the Earthers for access to better systems, that gives them power over us and that is a bad thing.
That is if we don't discover new jump points in Sol before they do, I think the Earth has a head start though.

In the short term B is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best option, it could hurt us long term though, so I prefer short term pain for long term gain.

Legitimate concern. Helpful people in the Discord were running the numbers and it looked fairly good, something in the order of 10% chance it's a dead end. Worst case we use the resources from this system to wage war for the other systems, so this would have to be a complete & total flop on multiple metrics to really screw us

United Terra is ahead in the Sol grav survey, having done any at all but we're in a much better position to leverage JPs with our sweet jump tech gate tech :dance:. Also as much as I bitch about how difficult theoretically assaulting a jump point would be for us, it would be dramatically more fatal for United Terra

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh man what the hell even is this system :psyduck: And right when I'm about to get smacked by a hurricane and lose my internet, too.

Like, this place just simply does not conform to the laws of nature as we understand them. I think a wizard aliens did it, guys...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nevets posted:

In case anyone is interested in visiting one of those stars: at a speed of 4000 km/s it would take about 187,000 years to fly a distance of 1/4 light year. So unless there is an alien presence out there that can travel at relativistic speeds we shouldn't need to worry about it.

Unfortunately your maths has dropped a few decimals here, a lightyear is about 75 years of travel at 4000kps.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 10, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yeah, redid the math and 1/4 light year at 4000kps comes out to 18.7 years.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TheWetFish posted:

Legitimate concern. Helpful people in the Discord were running the numbers and it looked fairly good, something in the order of 10% chance it's a dead end. Worst case we use the resources from this system to wage war for the other systems, so this would have to be a complete & total flop on multiple metrics to really screw us

United Terra is ahead in the Sol grav survey, having done any at all but we're in a much better position to leverage JPs with our sweet jump tech gate tech :dance:. Also as much as I bitch about how difficult theoretically assaulting a jump point would be for us, it would be dramatically more fatal for United Terra

e^: you get grav survey sensors as soon as you research Jump Point Theory tech, but there's also the retool+build time for a survey ship. And a second ship with a jumpdrive in order to get it through the gate ungated JP, because early jumpdrive tech sucks balls and you can't fit sensors+jumpdrive+fuel+engines+engineering all in one ship and still have enough range and maintenance lifetime to get any surveying done.

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh man what the hell even is this system :psyduck: And right when I'm about to get smacked by a hurricane and lose my internet, too.

Like, this place just simply does not conform to the laws of nature as we understand them. I think a wizard aliens did it, guys...

Newtonian physics would also contradict things like how all orbits are perfectly circular and the only that gravity seems to exist at all is as a number determining which planets are completely uninhabitable (without a lot of genemodding)

But speaking of the migraine that is Aurorastrophysics, that kind of system really needs intra-system jumps to be anything other than a flavoriffic waste of CPU, though it would also be awesome if there was an option to make Jupiter-mass planets (or smaller?) and dwarf stars (or larger?) capable of generating those. Or support for modding so people can make their own who-gives-a-gently caress-about-your-dumb-arbitrary-magical-pseudoscience-simulator-I-just-want-to-have-fun conveniences. :v:

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 10, 2017

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Saros posted:

Unfortunately your maths has dropped a few decimals here, a lightyear is about 75 years of travel at 4000kps.

Math: The true enemy of Mars.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nevets posted:

7. An international joint space force will be established, with Terra & Mars each contributing no fewer than 2 capital ships, 10 picket vessels, and sufficient support ships. Ship crews will be drawn from all nations and include a contingent of diplomats & scientists; any initial negotiation & scientific discoveries of extra-solar intelligences will go through this group. The JSF mandate is to operate exclusively outside the Sol System and defend the interests of all of humanity from unanticipated dangers.
Starfleet

8. In the event of a serious extra-solar threat to all of humanity all nations pledge to defend each other & will lend at least 1/2 of all armed forces they possess to the JSF for the defense of the Sol System & any colonies later established.
Mutual defense treaty against aliens Terra doesn't even know about but scare us shitless.

Whelp, I can see which way the wind is blowing. So I'll reluctantly accept B. I'd like to see us wring significant concessions out of Putin though. Starting with the establishment of a Space Patrol as outlined by Nevets above.

Who can resist the siren song of the glorious 70s rocket future?

I'd also want their support for potentially allowing other super powers to claim exclusive rights to one future JP as well. Mostly I'm thinking about TFS here, but I imagine we could use this offer to wring more short-term reparations from the IC as well.

I'd also want UTs active help in supporting Martian claim to the entire outer system except for the areas around Saturn and Jupiter.

It'd be pretty sweet if we could squeeze out a tech from Puty in exchange for our obviously very generous agreement to buy a pig in a poke in exchange for letting him have a system that must be useful or he wouldn't want it so bad. There could be horrible man-eating aliens on the other side of that JP. Or a nebula too dense for our ships to survive traversing. Or worse yet, it could be empty and a dead end. I know its not, but they don't know we know that.

One thing to keep in mind is that our travel times, both out to the JP and then from the JP to the useful worlds are going to be much longer than UTs. Their JP is hilariously close to Earth which cuts down their round trip time. Meaning they can do more with the same resources as us; only being Earth, they have more resources.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nevets posted:

Yeah, redid the math and 1/4 light year at 4000kps comes out to 18.7 years.
Well, that's slightly less insane then.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What speeds are feasible in a few years? Decades?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its generally never a wise idea to expand to bodies super loving far away because its logistically easier and less resource intensive to just find another system where you wont have to spend years and poo poo tons of fuel shuttling back and forth between distant points.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm also pretty sure that star doesn't have anything around it, or it would have been mentioned in the system survey.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
First Aurora LP I've gotten into and caught up with and it's a fantastic one at that! Good job Saros!

Would be happy to be made an officer. No preference on ship type but I would like the ship name to be 'Meteor'!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I can see it now, the Meteor (which is not a Meteor) becoming a meteor in some alien sky.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

SkySteak posted:

First Aurora LP I've gotten into and caught up with and it's a fantastic one at that! Good job Saros!

Would be happy to be made an officer. No preference on ship type but I would like the ship name to be 'Meteor'!

Should be Captain SkySteak of the Meatier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silentsnack posted:

But speaking of the migraine that is Aurorastrophysics, that kind of system really needs intra-system jumps to be anything other than a flavoriffic waste of CPU, though it would also be awesome if there was an option to make Jupiter-mass planets (or smaller?) and dwarf stars (or larger?) capable of generating those. Or support for modding so people can make their own who-gives-a-gently caress-about-your-dumb-arbitrary-magical-pseudoscience-simulator-I-just-want-to-have-fun conveniences. :v:

Unless I'm mistaken superjovian planets will generate lagrange points which can be used to jump around in system.

Like, OOC knowledge and all that but it's in the game.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Nevets posted:

Should be Captain SkySteak of the Meatier.

It's perfect!

I am glad that I have caught up as we're exploring a new frontier. Who knows what treasures the people of Mars can find in this wondrous cosmos? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA ( http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n51cz As the YT vid is blocked in the UK )

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

Its generally never a wise idea to expand to bodies super loving far away because its logistically easier and less resource intensive to just find another system where you wont have to spend years and poo poo tons of fuel shuttling back and forth between distant points.

What about when you account for in system jump points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Do you want the good news or the bad news first?"
"Good please."
"We've found the jump points in the new system!"
"That's great. What's the bad news?"
"They're around the outer stars."