Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Godzilla vs Kong vs Gamera vs Jet Jaguar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would go with King Shisa/Caesar myself.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
We need Ultraman in this ensemble.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So City Shrouded in Shadow?

https://youtu.be/IY9b-UomLfk

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pfff, you don't run away from Patlabors. Noa's got your back.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Super bummed that I'll never get to play that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tell that to either get fan translated or get loving released here pronto

Jesus Christ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like you wouldn't have to go through TOO many licensing hoops to get that a western release. Not to the level of say, a Super Robot Wars.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jimbot posted:

I finally saw Kong: Skull Island. I liked it a lot. I hope they somehow work Gamera into all this craziness. It's time for the Guardian of the Universe and Friend to All Children to be on the big screen once again.

There was supposed to be a new Gamera coming out, did that ever happen? It had a rad trailer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkMfyjo7PU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

Consider this, there are probably more fans of the prequel star wars films than of the original trilogy. Just as there will be more fans of the current generation of Star Wars films than of any of the previous films.

Naw. CineD goons have the weird belief that dislike of the prequels is confined to internet nerds and not a common opinion.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Naw. CineD goons have the weird belief that dislike of the prequels is confined to internet nerds and not a common opinion.

Seems like you're confirming that theory, they did a survey of internet users and they don't like the prequels. The only data I can go on is the box office numbers and the prequels did as well as or better than the originals, so it doesn't make sense to me that the reviews match up with reality.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mantis42 posted:

A fivethirtyeight article using survey monkey data. I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million statistics professors suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
4chan liked the prequels for the memes

Mantis42 posted:

CineD goons have the weird belief that dislike of the prequels is confined to internet nerds and not a common opinion.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Burkion posted:

Tell that to either get fan translated or get loving released here pronto

Jesus Christ

There's an honest to God Angel in there! Based on the gameplay footage, I may need to get a PS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk97PoC0Y6w

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

Seems like you're confirming that theory, they did a survey of internet users and they don't like the prequels. The only data I can go on is the box office numbers and the prequels did as well as or better than the originals, so it doesn't make sense to me that the reviews match up with reality.
That's not true at all. They got more money because ticket prices have massively inflated by the original Star Wars had by far the highest number of actual tickets sold. Then comes the Force Awakens, then Empire Strikes Back, then Return of the Jedi, then Episode 1.

edit: hosed up something.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 11, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mantis42 posted:

The lowest reported age is 18-29, so the survey is already discounting a significant fraction of fans, and specifically the fans most likely to be unbiased of the prequels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The prequels were probably one of the first major cases of a movie everyone simply expected to be brilliant that upon reflection (which even casual audiences would find themselves doing with what was inescapably marketed and referenced) really didn't hold up.

Basically, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

Bad movies can and do make lots of money. Key thing is, they don't necessarily have lasting appeal, and are often completely forgotten in the long run. I'm pretty sure most people who watch the Bayformers movies have forgotten 99% of what happened in them by the time they leave the cinema.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

The lowest reported age is 18-29, so the survey is already discounting a significant fraction of fans, and specifically the fans most likely to be unbiased of the prequels.

Children aren't people.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's not true at all. They got more money because ticket prices have massively inflated by the original Star Wars had by far the highest number of actual tickets sold. Then comes the Force Awakens, then Empire Strikes Back, then Return of the Jedi, then Episode 1.

edit: hosed up something.

Not according to box office mojo which has options to adjust for date and total tickets sold.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ElCondemn posted:

Not according to box office mojo which has options to adjust for date and total tickets sold.

Specifically:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

I was Iooking at box office mojo and the all time box office sales number gives different numbers than the screenshots by Snowglob of Doom. Regardless those show episodes 4 and 7 being by far the most popular and episodes 2 and 3 falling behind even a spin off movie. They were bad movies sorry to burst your CineD bubble.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If the prequels were beloved and fondly remembered, TFA probably wouldn't have been trying so desperately hard to distance itself from them, to the point of cutting context for the plot because of fears that too much 'boring politics' would send audiences into PTSD attacks.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Then why does the upcoming Battlefront game have prequel maps?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
hating the prequels was just a prank taken too far
disney wasn't in on the joke tho so we got tfa

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well it ended up giving them more profitable movies, so you know no harm no foul.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was Iooking at box office mojo and the all time box office sales number gives different numbers than the screenshots by Snowglob of Doom. Regardless those show episodes 4 and 7 being by far the most popular and episodes 2 and 3 falling behind even a spin off movie. They were bad movies sorry to burst your CineD bubble.

I'm certainly no fan of the Prequels and I'll be an OT man 'til the day I die but Episode 4 is the 2nd biggest movie in the history of cinema so of course almost every other movie is going to pale by comparison. Phantom Menace is still #18 on the list of biggest recorded domestic box offices (adjusted for inflation) so even though it's trailing behind the entire OT and The Force Awakens it was still more popular at the box office than The Avengers or Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Dark Knight or Ghostbusters.

I don't like it and I can't explain it but that's how it is.

Edit: also this is definitely the wrong thread to be having this discussion

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

New topic; what might the hinted Legendary-verse version of Hedorah be like?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The Phaontom Menace's high numbers are easily explained: there was much pent-up excitement and demand for a new Star Wars movie so that everyone wanted to see it, even when reviews didn't come back stellar. The performance of the subsequent two prequels more accurately reflect the deflated expectations people had for the story Lucas had embarked upon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ElCondemn posted:

Box office numbers are not an indicator of quality or public reception. People rarely demand a refund for a movie they didn't like and for something as big as Star Wars people are more than happy to brave bad word-of-mouth to see it. Especially if they have kids, since Star Wars has always been a kid friendly franchise and kids are significantly less discerning in taste.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Inescapable Duck posted:

New topic; what might the hinted Legendary-verse version of Hedorah be like?

The recent Monarch viral marketing implies that Hedorah, the Koolest Kaiju, was involved in the London Smog

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wizchine posted:

The Phaontom Menace's high numbers are easily explained: there was much pent-up excitement and demand for a new Star Wars movie so that everyone wanted to see it, even when reviews didn't come back stellar. The performance of the subsequent two prequels more accurately reflect the deflated expectations people had for the story Lucas had embarked upon.

So how do you explain the fact that the adjusted numbers for Rogue One match up with the prequels but the reviews put them at opposite ends? I'm not claiming one is better than the other, I just think it's pretty clear that what reviewers think is good doesn't line up with what what audiences like. Which is what spurred this whole conversation, brand poison not being the same as bad reviews.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

On topic: I really wanna see the designs for Legendary Mothra/Rodan/Ghidorah. The anticipation is killing me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The recent Monarch viral marketing implies that Hedorah, the Koolest Kaiju, was involved in the London Smog

yeah that's why he's asking it dummy

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ElCondemn posted:

So how do you explain the fact that the adjusted numbers for Rogue One match up with the prequels but the reviews put them at opposite ends? I'm not claiming one is better than the other, I just think it's pretty clear that what reviewers think is good doesn't line up with what what audiences like. Which is what spurred this whole conversation, brand poison not being the same as bad reviews.

I'm not making some kind of argument that reviews = box office. I'm only saying that people wanted to see Phantom Menace for themselves, no matter what, regardless of reviews. That's why the box office was so high on such a lovely movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well I know what creature will be destroying MY city...a big fat nerd debating how to classify if a movie is "successful" into an echo chamber endlessly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

yeah that's why he's asking it dummy

Hedorah will be a handsome lad

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Inescapable Duck posted:

The prequels were probably one of the first major cases of a movie everyone simply expected to be brilliant that upon reflection (which even casual audiences would find themselves doing with what was inescapably marketed and referenced) really didn't hold up.

Yes only in 1999 did people discover that movies could be disappointing

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's still a major derail but my anecdotal experience tells me that prequel hate is a state of mind, with the vast majority of people not really caring that much about star wars in general, and those who do tending to just taking the bad with the good in stride and considering the prequels important films even if they prefer the original trilogy. Shocking, I know, but most people are just like, "Everything's subjective" and are done with it. The furthest they'll go is that the prequels are an easy "new things are worse than old things" punching bag, but not actually be invested in how you rank your laser sword/zappy ship movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

Yes only in 1999 did people discover that movies could be disappointing

Jokes on you

I saw 1998 Godzilla in theaters. I learned that lesson a year early

:smuggo: