Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ventana posted:

They could do that too, though that gets into changing the behavior in terms of scrolling screens (might already be weird due to the running segments) and how they interact with ring movement in a specific scenario, aka it's more work that they may or may not want to do. Maybe it could be as easy as copying the spike wall's collision properties from the Metal Sonic fight, maybe it's more complicated, idk. It didn't work that way in 3&K or Advance 2 for sure so while there's no reason they couldn't advance the mechanics, it wasn't exactly a broken system in past games either so you can see why Mania did what it did.

Either way, I don't really care about the specifics of how it works. My point that I was addressing was telling you why the design of 2D running segments had to give you free rings, especially for a boss fight where players are expected to get hit. Your post felt like it was criticizing the free rings as if free rings in a boss were themselves an absolute bad design, when in reality they were needed for this case. Perhaps not ideal or needing better execution (Advance 2 style, or what you suggested), but it's still necessary functional concern.

edit: Let me be clear, I'm not defending the boss, I think it's complete poo poo. Just that nothing's wrong with the ring refills in a running boss fight.

I think it should be clear from my posts I understood why the rings were needed. I just think that itself is indicative that the boss design is poor. There's so many other ways to handle "running boss" that don't require gimmie rings. Gimmie rings are a crutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The trick to the OOZ act 2 boss is that the platforms, and doing the fight "fair" is a big fat lie. Once Robotnik proper appears, don't try to land back on any platforms, just bounce on that nerds fat head until he sinks back down under the oil or dies.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fuligin posted:

On the plus side Mania inspired me to pickup Freedom Planet and that game is dope as hell too, although the bosses are similarly painful for me. I just wanna go fast :(

There are some cool-rear end bosses in that game, even if they aren't all winners. I don't know if you've reached the Fortune Night boss, but when your friends roll in for the assist it made my heart sing.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

im glad after all these years vector is finally getting his due as a cool and good character

https://twitter.com/AlanTheWriter/status/906907882062438400

:yeah:

Vector was excellent in that episode

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I really need to go back to Sonic Boom, or at least watch some of the better ones. What other cast members have made an appearance?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

How Rude posted:

I thought all the bosses were pretty easy, but still fun. I also really liked the running bosses in this game. It's better than literally every boss being some meh auto scroller boss like Sonic Advance 2, which made every single fight a miserable slog or annoying as hell.

This except the exact opposite. Advance 2's designs were much smarter and far less annoying than Studiopolis's boss (2 bosses have the same changing slopes idea as well, but it's far more manageable in comparison), and I'm even including the dumb boss of Sky Canyon that can sometimes 1 shot you cause at least it's easily avoidable.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think it should be clear from my posts I understood why the rings were needed. I just think that itself is indicative that the boss design is poor. There's so many other ways to handle "running boss" that don't require gimmie rings. Gimmie rings are a crutch.

Your post wasn't really clear since it seemed you were attributing the free rings design to another reason entirely, but whatever :shrug:

In any case, I don't agree at all with the idea that free rings in running bosses are a crutch to good design. Other running bosses in the series like Secret Rings/Unleashed/Colors/Generations/Fan Games all didn't have boss designs that suffered because of free rings even if they had it for different reasons. If another solution is feasible, then maybe that could work too, but I don't think there's anything wrong with free rings design at all on it's own.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am totally gonna watch Sonic Boom just for my main man Vex

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Some of Sonic Boom's jokes sometimes just catch me really off guard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZN_90BK9wQ&t=315s
(5m 15s if the embed doesn't work properly)

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

turboraton posted:

LMAO at goons complaining that Mania is too hard and too fast.

Seriously. Did these people not play Freedom Planet? They should really play Freedom Planet, on that note.

Mania is a great game. I played the whole thing with a huge poo poo-eating grin on my face. My only criticisms are nitpicks honestly. Couple stages weren't particularly fun for me, and the ending felt anticlimactic compared to S3&K. Otherwise the game was excellent. Boss fights were excellent--more challenging and thought-provoking than the bosses in the genesis games. I think exactly the right amount of challenging. The game is brimming with creativity and humor throughout, and it's just goddamn gorgeous at times too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bodyholes posted:

Seriously. Did these people not play Freedom Planet? They should really play Freedom Planet, on that note.
No they shouldn't. If you find Mania's difficulty frustrating then FP is a total write off.

And shockingly people who aren't experienced with 16 bit versions of games aren't as good at them as people who are. Gasp.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

im glad after all these years vector is finally getting his due as a cool and good character

https://twitter.com/AlanTheWriter/status/906907882062438400

i saw that clip the other day and i noticed that too. it's a really good gag

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Vector episode of Sonic Boom actually uses the traits Vector is known for, has him act like Vector with flanderization of his worse qualities, and feels like a story that's both comedic and has some wit attached to it.

So why couldn't we get more of this instead of 50 + episodes with jokes in the vein of "ha ha, Knuckles can't do math"?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Spiderdrake posted:

No they shouldn't. If you find Mania's difficulty frustrating then FP is a total write off.

Nah, I don't feel this at all. FP has like, a healthbar. And is extremely light on ways to instantly die. Like, I can count the number of ways to instantly die on like, one hand and they're extremely signposted.

the bosses though yeah you'll probably cop a few deaths, they're not the easiest things going. But they're difficult in ways that are not even remotely like Sonic, which is why I liked FP in the first place but have never cared much for 2D Sonic.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

So why couldn't we get more of this instead of 50 + episodes with jokes in the vein of "ha ha, Knuckles can't do math"?

it's for children

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i decided to youtube the full episode and within the first 3 minutes vectors eyes turn to dollar signs like in sonic heroes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

it's for children

there's nothing about this episode that would fly over the heads of kids

It's not an issue of it being for kids, because kids aren't that stupid. It's about reducing a character to one banal, low-hanging fruit gag and putting them in stories that don't really feel like they fit being stories about Sonic the Hedgehog characters, or even use the things those characters are known for. But now, 2 seasons in and we actually get a really clever Vector episode, who has never appeared in the show before, and suddenly he's used in a way that feels more true to what his character is about than all the other ones starring everyone else?

That stands out.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

there's nothing about this episode that would fly over the heads of kids

It's not an issue of it being for kids, because kids aren't that stupid. It's about reducing a character to one banal, low-hanging fruit gag and putting them in stories that don't really feel like they fit being stories about Sonic the Hedgehog characters, or even use the things those characters are known for. But now, 2 seasons in and we actually get a really clever Vector episode, who has never appeared in the show before, and suddenly he's used in a way that feels more true to what his character is about than all the other ones starring everyone else?

That stands out.

the thing is that the writers don't need to try very hard most of the time, and aren't going to try very hard most of the time, because it's for children

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I... don't think what I'm asking for would require that much effort?

I mean, Sonic X was for children too, and for all its many flaws, they did better with Knuckles and his boorishness than "derrrr, I forgot where my hands are".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't kid yourself, all he ever did in X was get mad at Rouge.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Knuckles and Rouge don't even interact until the 13th episode of the show.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

And shockingly people who aren't experienced with 16 bit versions of games aren't as good at them as people who are. Gasp.

The 16 bit Sonic games are not Mega Man or Contra or Thunderforce... they're not brutal. They're pretty easy for games from that era. Sonic 1+2 are only difficult in that they didn't have a save function... so back in the day when you played them, you had to finish it in one sitting if you wanted to play the later levels. Sonic 3 fixed that issue. And Mania has the same save function.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Nah, I don't feel this at all. FP has like, a healthbar. And is extremely light on ways to instantly die. Like, I can count the number of ways to instantly die on like, one hand and they're extremely signposted.

the bosses though yeah you'll probably cop a few deaths, they're not the easiest things going. But they're difficult in ways that are not even remotely like Sonic, which is why I liked FP in the first place but have never cared much for 2D Sonic.

The bosses in FP are vastly harder, particularly towards the end. Anyone that finds Mania frustratingly hard is probably not gonna finish that game. I like the greater emphasis on combat in that game, and I do think that gives that style of game more potential than Sonic at its core. Like you said, separating health from the ring system helps the game a lot, and is a major flaw Sonic will always have. For me, Mania was just an appetizer to tide me over until FP2, although I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I expected...

Most of the random deaths in Sonic are easily avoidable on the first playthrough by not spindashing blindly to the right, but instead slowing it down a bit and being cautious. Oil Ocean is literally the easiest zone in the game. If you keep trying to speedrun through it you'll find it very frustrating of course. If you just focus on being cautious and keeping your rings, it's the easiest zone to pick up more lives in the second half of the game. There are no cheapos, and there are lots of rings and 1ups.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ventana posted:

Running bosses in general NEED rings to come back because you often cannot get rings back after being hit reliably, turning the fight into 2 hit deaths. If anything, I was annoyed it wasn't handled like Sonic Advance 2/other running bosses in the series where rings were finite but spread around a looping track so you could pick them back up whenever you got hit if you played safe. Mania at least gives rings after each boss hit, and the hits aren't too complex on that boss so it kinda works out even if it's not ideal.

Theyre not infinite on that boss. I know because my first life I died at the end due to not getting any rings on the final phase transition.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I really need to go back to Sonic Boom, or at least watch some of the better ones. What other cast members have made an appearance?

Aside from Shadow and Metal Sonic popping up in the previous season (though they were also in the Sonic Boom games), Vector is the only other cast member from the mainline series that's shown up (and basically unchanged design and personality wise aside from the addition of a jacket), aside from the main 4 (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles & Amy) of course.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 11, 2017

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I actually got pushed back into the bottomless pit on my first attempt at the GHZ2 boss as Knuckles. I thought the arena kept scrolling infinitely. :saddowns:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
titanic monarch has to be the worst zone right. it takes forever to beat the stages (i beat act 1 with 1 second left on the clock) and the orb gimmick is annoying as hell. also not a fan of all the invisible springs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's probably my favorite of the classic final zones. I got the rhythm down and speed right through them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You aim Sonic where you want him to go then press A when he's rotating forwards. It's a really simple gimmick.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

If you're having trouble, practice in the Glowing Orbs bonus stage in S3&K; it's the same gimmick, verbatim.

Or maybe don't, since TMZ's orbs don't have a Fail Laser constantly coming up from below to make you fail the stage if you graze it, but regardless, if you're good at Glowing Orbs, the ones in TMZ shouldn't be a problem. Just jump when you're about the center of the orb heading in the direction you wanna go (left and right to rotate that) for maximum distance.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If these UFO stages are gonna fail you for one mistake could they at least be easy to find?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

If you're having trouble, practice in the Glowing Orbs bonus stage in S3&K; it's the same gimmick, verbatim.

Or maybe don't, since TMZ's orbs don't have a Fail Laser constantly coming up from below to make you fail the stage if you graze it, but regardless, if you're good at Glowing Orbs, the ones in TMZ shouldn't be a problem. Just jump when you're about the center of the orb heading in the direction you wanna go (left and right to rotate that) for maximum distance.

Likewise, if you don't want to rocket off at max speed, time the jump so you're closer to the 'edge' of the sphere when you launch.

Justin_Brett posted:

If these UFO stages are gonna fail you for one mistake could they at least be easy to find?

There's like 60-odd of them scattered about. Although I'll grant you, most of them are pretty well hidden.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The only boss that I think is horribly lame is Metal Sonic's second phase. There's just no way you can die during it due to the wall forcing the rings right up your rear end and it kinda kills all the tension of the fight when you have nothing to lose.

Everything before it is cool, just that phase is a huge stinker.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Beat the main story. (Haven't gotten all the emeralds.)

The whole game ruled, but I felt like Stardust Speedway went on a bit too long. Otherwise very solid.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mikedawson posted:

Beat the main story. (Haven't gotten all the emeralds.)

The whole game ruled, but I felt like Stardust Speedway went on a bit too long. Otherwise very solid.

Act 1?

Cause Act 2 is only like a minute long :v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There are some cool-rear end bosses in that game, even if they aren't all winners. I don't know if you've reached the Fortune Night boss, but when your friends roll in for the assist it made my heart sing.
No kidding. As levels Battle Glacier and *something* Lagoon were really fukin epic as well. im playing on arcade mode so complaints about the story being anime bs might be right but the actual game is cool as poo poo

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

NecroMonster posted:

the thing is that the writers don't need to try very hard most of the time, and aren't going to try very hard most of the time, because it's for children

See also: Teen Titans GO, where the writers have unironically used this exact excuse for it being so loving bad.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

To be fair, as far as I recall, "Knuckles is a dumbass" is never just the joke alone. Its always the punchline to a setup.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's still really really really low hanging fruit.

I guess it's something the show was stuck with, though.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Act 1?

Cause Act 2 is only like a minute long :v:

Yeah, must've been act 1 I was thinking of.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shadowlyger posted:

See also: Teen Titans GO, where the writers have unironically used this exact excuse for it being so loving bad.

I, too, have Serious Opinions about children's cartoons parodying another children's cartoon. If only it had the literary depth of Adventure Time or Regular Show or My Little Pony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Adventure Time and Regular Show have numerous moments of depth to them so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.