Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Corek posted:

you could have a podcast episode just on The Return Of Bruno and how awful it was

You could also get an Animation Damnation or two out of Bruno The Kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Did I miss them releasing an August mailbag ep?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hockles posted:

There wasn't one. That happens sometimes. They only have so much time to record stuff, so sometimes they have to choose between a mailbag or an onscreen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Corek posted:

you could have a podcast episode just on The Return Of Bruno and how awful it was

Hell, they could probably get a bonus episode just out of the half-hour video Bruce made after HH tanked where he talked about how much he totally didn't care about the bad reviews and reception of the movie.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I feel like Samurai Cop is well trodden ground (considering the boys aren't touching movies like The Room).

In other news I sat through It (1990) for this weeks ep and boy has that not aged well. Made me feel sad about John Ritter being dead. Tim Curry is the loving poo poo though "KISS ME FATBOY".

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Pretty good episode. Just about every Tim Curry impression got me
Jay Leno's car that uses children as fuel

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Duckula posted:

Tim Curry is the loving poo poo though "KISS ME FATBOY".

I AM THE EATER OF WORLDS, AND OF CHILDREN

AND YOU. ARE. NEXT.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I like how their Pennywise/Tim Curry is basically just Dr. Girlfriend.

And that pause when they described that part of the book was beautiful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

I like how their Pennywise/Tim Curry is basically just Dr. Girlfriend.

And that pause when they described that part of the book was beautiful.

I was laughing my rear end off when they followed up on that part of the book.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Listened to the Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey episode again, and the guys' deep, existential disgust with Station is one of the funniest gags in the entire show

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Hockles posted:

Andrew teased on Twitter that the next mailbag has one of Chris Cabin's most infamous stories, so that's something to look forward to!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Don't you blame coke, acid, or whiskey for that poo poo, WHM....King's just an overrated creeper.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Don't you blame coke, acid, or whiskey for that poo poo, WHM....King's just an overrated creeper.
It was the coke

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's too bad they recorded the episode weeks ago, because they probably could have had some fun with King's recent "I don't get why people are still talking about That Scene" thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It was the coke
You've gotta put cocaine in someone who's already a creep to produce something like That Scene
Otherwise it just produces harmless and/or beautiful art such as the following
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AiYS-rDGyc

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's a great movie and you all should check it out.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I don't know about y'all but I would be 100% all about a Stephen King month.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Just watched Alien Resurrection and I'd love to see them cover it. It's bizarre and schlocky on so many levels. I'd really like to see Lucy too.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 14, 2017

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't know jack about Langoliers or Stephen King but I so want that Langoliers episode.

I've listened to two podcasts now on the IT movie and it sounds like a pretty garbage movie for something being so culturally relevant. I've never seen it but I feel all the references to Pennywise the Clown has given me a good idea about what he's like.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's been many years since I saw the made-for-tv version of The Shining, but how does it measure up against the Kubrick version and the book? Also, obviously since it's made for tv, I imagine certain stuff is left out/changed.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't know jack about Langoliers or Stephen King but I so want that Langoliers episode.

I've listened to two podcasts now on the IT movie and it sounds like a pretty garbage movie for something being so culturally relevant. I've never seen it but I feel all the references to Pennywise the Clown has given me a good idea about what he's like.

The OG IT is a very "had to be there" kind of thing, I think. For people my age (early-mid thirties), it was a defining pop-culture moment. Firstly because this was back when television was fairly sanitized, so the prospect of a horror movie about a malevolent evil that murdered children was pretty goddamn rare. Secondly because it provided a way for a horror icon - Curry's Pennywise - to gain a mass audience in the way that your traditional icons couldn't. IT wasn't blocked by your mom not letting you rent it from the video store on friday night; it was right out there and in the open to stumble across during its airing. Everyone watched it. It was the talk of the schoolyard for at least a week straight afterwards.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I only remember Langoliers, I rewatched it a few years ago and it definitely doesn't hold up but the premise is really cool.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hockles posted:

It's been many years since I saw the made-for-tv version of The Shining, but how does it measure up against the Kubrick version and the book? Also, obviously since it's made for tv, I imagine certain stuff is left out/changed.

It follows the book closely, but obviously pales visually and in execution to Kubrick. The TV movie is ruined by the terrible child actor in it who is legendarily bad. I hate making fun of a kid, but his nasally buck-toothed saliva sucking performance is one of the absolute worst I've ever seen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Invalid Validation posted:

I only remember Langoliers, I rewatched it a few years ago and it definitely doesn't hold up but the premise is really cool.

I mean, the Langoliers has always been pretty terrible. I agree the premise is cool, but I remember watching when it first aired and thinking I was surprised by how bad it actually ended up being.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Even at the time the CGI in Langoliers was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izxpXWBRjng

e: Skip ahead to 1:00

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Great googly moogly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People who have seen it: Does the turtle-god make an appearance in the new It movie? The last episode got me thinking about it.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
No. Though there are some turtle images. No idea what's in store for the second.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope the second part includes Leno as pennywise'a follower. I also got thinking that Harry Dean Stanton Christmas angel was taking orders from pennywise and secret Nazi santa was pennywise in disguise

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

People who have seen it: Does the turtle-god make an appearance in the new It movie? The last episode got me thinking about it.

nah they keep it pretty grounded (aside from the clown-themed deity of fear). I haven't seen the miniseries version or read the book.

From this WHM episode it sounds like Stephen King was writing on drugs, or from a place where he was doing so well that no one would say no to the more outlandish, over-explained stuff he put in about aliens etc. To say nothing of the sex acts.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Stephen King was drug fueled for a long time (still is?), go find the stories about Maximum Overdrive, they're pretty good.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

As others said he's not in it, but there is a cute reference to it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope the second part includes Leno as pennywise'a follower. I also got thinking that Harry Dean Stanton Christmas angel was taking orders from pennywise and secret Nazi santa was pennywise in disguise

The man's name is Harry Anderson!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, the Langoliers has always been pretty terrible. I agree the premise is cool, but I remember watching when it first aired and thinking I was surprised by how bad it actually ended up being.

"Yuck, this sandwich is stale and this soda has no fizz!"

:derp:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did everyone have a rat boy who stole thier stuff? My local rat boy stole my Gameboy Pocket and Pokemon Blue.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drat, I know the Mailbag episodes are usually grosser than the main episodes...but this one got loving gross. Hilarious, but gross.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did everyone have a rat boy who stole thier stuff? My local rat boy stole my Gameboy Pocket and Pokemon Blue.

Yeah I think every grade of school is issued one or more ratboys to steal toy and spit a lot.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Not sure if anyone is interested, but if you like WHM you might also like the Last Podcast on the Left. I think somebody in the horror thread brought it up, but I thought I would bring it up here since I feel like the comedy is kinda similar. Imagine the WHM guys talking about ghosts, aliens, bigfoot, and serial killers and instead of tall glasses of water they're doing A LOT of cocaine and you get the basic gist of LPOTL. It's a lot more fast paced and crude comedy but it's pretty funny and has high production values. Their serial killer episodes get pretty tough, though, and I much prefer the paranormal ones. Luckily a lot of their recent episodes have been spooky stuff (Fire in the Sky abduction, poltergeists, sexy ghosts, etc.) so you might give it a listen while you wait for new episodes of WHM to come out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The first few episodes of Last Podcast on The Left we're about horror movies. It was a natural progression really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Invalid Validation posted:

Stephen King was drug fueled for a long time (still is?), go find the stories about Maximum Overdrive, they're pretty good.

No he hasn't been sober since the late 80s, but this is in the drug days