Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm trying to decide if I want to put in more work to make a full LP out of this, but in the meanwhile - would the thread be willing to tell me if these posts are any good?

Conquest of Elysium 4 OP + First Update
Second Update

I'm aiming for a relaxed SSLP where I walk the audience through my thought process as I play this game, and hopefully get better at playing as I go along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Looks good to me.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Very generally speaking, what kinds of games work best as SSLPs, and which work best as video?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think for the most part very wordy rpgs and strategy games are best as SSLPs, really slow games, while videos are best for shooters, action games, stuff where things are constantly happening.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
SSLPs are generally best for LPs where the focus is not on moment-to-moment action. For example, TheDarkId does screenshot LPs of action games because he's presenting the plot more than the gameplay (and he'll include videos showing portions of the gameplay if you're really curious about that).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Looks good to me.

Thanks! I'll try to make another update, see if my interest in LPing this game can win out over the work involved.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

psychopomp posted:

Very generally speaking, what kinds of games work best as SSLPs, and which work best as video?

When most of the game is static and silent, or if you want to create your own narrative. See the old GuavaMoment X-Com LPs for the latter or any RPGMaker game LP (I'd recommend Exit Fate and Last Scenario respectively).Thread based decision making can work in either VLP or SSLP.

Rough guide: If you want to show the moment to moment gameplay, video. If you want just the relevant details plus all the content, SSLP.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks! I'll try to make another update, see if my interest in LPing this game can win out over the work involved.

Especially with a game like CoE4, I'd recommend playing out a full recorded game before making any work on the LP, that game can easily sling a lot of bullshit your way and unceremoniously bring things to an end. Otherwise I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of a great and underrepresented game!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
All that said, there's nothing stopping you from making, say, Final Fantasy 1 as a video LP or Super Mario Bros. as a SSLP. They're just going to take more effort to make worth watching/reading and you might restrict your potential audience a bit. If you're confident enough and have a good idea on how to keep things interesting, you could make any format work with any game. It might just take a lot more effort than you should reasonably spend on a LP.

Otherwise, the above posts are good guidelines. Just don't feel comstricted by those.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah, I just want to get a sense of the basics before I worry about getting all fancy. Really appreciate the advice.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't seem to find it on the subforum but wasn't there a more casual LP thread for people to drop their videos/LPs of? Did that get shut down?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I can't seem to find it on the subforum but wasn't there a more casual LP thread for people to drop their videos/LPs of? Did that get shut down?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750711

Maybe I should make some more Powerslave videos for that thread, it's been quite a while.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not sure if this is more a sandcastle question or a tech support question, but:

I'm considering doing a LP of Wrestling MPire Remix, the insane MDickie wrestling game that all his other insane prison/Jesus/Mohammed/Jerry Springer/pop star/movie star games are based off of. To differentiate it from simosimo's awesome Radical Larry LP, I'm doing a mod of it that supposedly makes it resemble the real world a little more instead of just having all of MDickie's creations in it.

The problem here is that it uses the actual wrestlers' themes, and the main menu music, in fact, is Cult of Personality by Living Colour. I get the feeling YouTube isn't gonna like this very much. Will having the volume turned low compared to my talking and the other game audio get it through ContentID, or should I go as far as replacing the songs with stuff that won't get ContentID'd?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Most WWE music is ok thanks to the WWE videogames, and also they usually just monetise the video on behalf of the WWE rather than block access to other countries.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Will having the volume turned low compared to my talking and the other game audio get it through ContentID?
Based on my experiences, probably not. I've had ContentID claims from songs playing in the background during cutscenes at such low volume that I didn't even realize they were in the videos. On the other hand, one of those songs appeared in an earlier video at full volume without anyone talking over it, and that video didn't get ContentID'd. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

edit: As for the game itself, I feel like replacing the MDickie bullshit with actual WWE stuff would kinda detract from the experience, but that's just my dumb opinion that can be safely ignored.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 12, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Especially with a game like CoE4, I'd recommend playing out a full recorded game before making any work on the LP, that game can easily sling a lot of bullshit your way and unceremoniously bring things to an end. Otherwise I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of a great and underrepresented game!

Absolutely - I've played enough of it to lose my Troll King to all kinds of BS things. My intent with this game is to walk the audience through one of my typical games, explaining my decisions and choices as I go along, and then when I die to BS, well, the audience will understand how and why I got there. I'm also not averse to using the saves in the game to get around the roguelike elements, although I won't stoop to cheating and revealing the whole map upon death.

I've begun work on another update but halfway through the shelter called with news that they approved my application to adopt a dog, so, uh, good thing I haven't made a thread for it. :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've begun work on another update but halfway through the shelter called with news that they approved my application to adopt a dog, so, uh, good thing I haven't made a thread for it. :v:

Now that's the single best reason for delaying work on an LP :3:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I see a "Let's Play with a Dog" thread in the making.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: As for the game itself, I feel like replacing the MDickie bullshit with actual WWE stuff would kinda detract from the experience, but that's just my dumb opinion that can be safely ignored.

It turns out the mod really doesn't like OBS and/or vice versa, whereas the original Wrestling MPire Remix behaves itself better, so now I'm mostly just replacing the music for my own sake (because a lot of the music in Wrestling MPire Remix is really awful and not in a fun way, especially that "KEEP IT HARD! CORE! CMON, DO IT, CMON, DO IT!" loop over the menus).

And this has brought me to a related gripe: if you're an indie synthwave musician and you put your stuff in the ContentID system, you are a bastard. I understand why you would do that, but christ on a bike it is annoying, I'm having to nix several entire artists I like (Carpenter Brut being the big one) because literally everything they've ever done is in the ContentID system.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

I see a "Let's Play with a Dog" thread in the making.

Give me dogcam or give me death.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Give me dogcam or give me death.

There was a guy in the PUBG thread doing that for his twitch stream, I don't know whether or not his stuff was good but people seemed to marvel at his dog sitting through it for that long.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was thinking about doing a CYOA of Aviary Attorney:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148992

What do you think? Is the picture quality acceptable?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

I was thinking about doing a CYOA of Aviary Attorney:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148992

What do you think? Is the picture quality acceptable?

Looks good to me.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
I'm interested in doing a Paradox megacampaign LP though there's already an ongoing CK2 LP and many megacampaigns have already been undertaken.
Does this seem like something people would still want to see or is it treading well-worn ground at this point?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This subforum's appetite for Paradox LPs is insatiable, :justpost:.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I want to do an LP of Metroid: Samus Returns because 1) I love Metroid, 2) I'll take any excuse to use my modded 3DS and 3) Sakamoto produced it and I have to know if he's learned.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the bottom screen. It has a fair amount of information on it at all times, so I want to keep it displayed, but it's more information than a standard GUI or minimap and can clutter the video a bit.

Here are two possibilities: overlay and stack.

Overlay's pros and cons:
There is less unused space in the video;
the main screen (and the action) are in a more prominent view;
the overlay of the bottom screen covers a small chunk of the main screen.

Stack's:
No part of either screen is obscured;
The main screen isn't blown up, and therefore looks less jagged/aliased;
there's a ton of unused space in the video (even though the resolution is much larger)

Alternatively I could look into getting a 3DS overlay like this although I think 3DS overlays look kind of lovely. I could also just fade it in whenever I need it, like I did in Federation Force, but that's going to be a ton of work for this game and I'm still using avisynth like a dummy.

Which do you prefer? Do you have any other suggestions?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Out of those two options overlay is better, that kind of a stack looks honestly really bad in my opinion. I haven't played M:SR yet so I dunno how much really vital information is displayed on the bottom screen, but I can't imagine it being so important as to warrant an entire half of the screen.

I'd probably do stack, but with a much smaller bottom window. No need for a wacky overlay, just leave it black.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

tiistai posted:

Out of those two options overlay is better, that kind of a stack looks honestly really bad in my opinion. I haven't played M:SR yet so I dunno how much really vital information is displayed on the bottom screen, but I can't imagine it being so important as to warrant an entire half of the screen.

The bottom screen mostly displays the map, what Beam you have equipped, your energy, missiles, Aeion energy, and what Aeion ability you have equipped at the moment. The Metroid counter, too. All of that's fairly important.

Rea fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 19, 2017

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Maple Leaf posted:

I want to do an LP of Metroid: Samus Returns because 1) I love Metroid, 2) I'll take any excuse to use my modded 3DS and 3) Sakamoto produced it and I have to know if he's learned.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the bottom screen. It has a fair amount of information on it at all times, so I want to keep it displayed, but it's more information than a standard GUI or minimap and can clutter the video a bit.

Here are two possibilities: overlay and stack.

Overlay's pros and cons:
There is less unused space in the video;
the main screen (and the action) are in a more prominent view;
the overlay of the bottom screen covers a small chunk of the main screen.

Stack's:
No part of either screen is obscured;
The main screen isn't blown up, and therefore looks less jagged/aliased;
there's a ton of unused space in the video (even though the resolution is much larger)

Alternatively I could look into getting a 3DS overlay like this although I think 3DS overlays look kind of lovely. I could also just fade it in whenever I need it, like I did in Federation Force, but that's going to be a ton of work for this game and I'm still using avisynth like a dummy.

Which do you prefer? Do you have any other suggestions?

I mean, I've been watching this speed run here and the overlay doesn't seem super intrusive? Simple black is fine, not a lot of wasted space.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I'm about to start an LP of Quantum Break, but I'm pondering whether it's worth having subtitles turned on or not.

I'm normally a big believer in having the in-game subtitles turned on for Let's Plays, even if the LPer is courteous enough to avoid talking over the top of the game's dialogue.

However Quantum Break has the 'closed caption' sort of subtitles, where it says the name of the person talking before each subtitle.

This is made worse by the fact that there's also narration, which is supposed to be the protagonist being interviewed after the events of the game, and for those bits of narration it says the character's full name and "(Interview)".

So the subtitles looks like this:

[Jack] Blah blah blah
[Paul] Something something something
[Jack Joyce (Interview)] Paul was a massive dick
[Clarice Ogawa (Interview)] Get back to the story

That's a lot of text on the screen!

I recorded the first few minutes of the game (no commentary, no bothering with collectibles etc) just to show off the subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIfhUedTNBQ

Great for someone that has the sound completely muted or is severely hearing impaired, but over-the-top for someone who occasionally mishears a word because they have tinnitus or a mild hearing impairment, or they aren't a native English speaker and a few words are unusual. One of those viewers would benefit from subtitles for game dialogue, but they don't need captions telling them the name of who is speaking.

(That's why Half-Life 2 has separate options for 'Subtitles' and 'Closed Captions for Hearing Impaired' option.)

Also, between each chapter of Quantum Break the game there is a live-action 20 minute 'tv show' episode which furthers the plot. The subtitles in the TV show segments are even worse, because THEY ARE IN ALL CAPS.

What the hell? I know that subtitles/closed captions on some TV shows and streaming services are done in all caps, but nowadays most channels and TV services have moved away from doing that because it looks bloody awful. With the ALL CAPS subtitles turned on for those episodes it looks like 20 minutes of everyone shouting!

When I LPd Singularity - a game that has no subtitles - I made my own subtitles for it.

There were lots of appreciative comments from people saying that they were finally able to follow the game's story. But that's because Singularity's had lots of crackly tape recordings of people speaking with thick fake Russian accents, which was tricky for people that were a little bit hard of hearing or weren't native English speakers.

However Quantum Break's dialogue is clearly spoken and easy to understand. So if someone actually needs subtitles/closed captions to understand what's being said in the game, I figure they probably can't understand my commentary either.

What do you all think? Is it a good idea to have subtitles turned on, even if they are a bit intrusive sometimes? Or would they be an annoying distraction for some viewers, and something I should get rid of?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm very much a proponent of subtitles, not because I have trouble with the English language but because I can read much faster than the lines are delivered. It lets me reasonably watch an LP or play a game without having to devote 100% of my attention to listening to all the dialogue.

I think the number of people who would benefit from not having subtitles is far smaller than the number who will benefit from having them.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fun fact, tv captions being all caps is actually accurate to reality!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

your evil twin posted:

That's a lot of text on the screen!

I really don't think it's all that bad. And I prefer even slightly over-ambitious subtitles over having to rewind three times because the gently caress he say?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Huh, guess it's probably worth leaving the subtitles turned on then!

I too hate missing a word that someone says, I always turn on subtitles when playing games and I usually do it for TV shows and movies too. I'm normally good at paying attention to the action and not letting the subtitles distract me, but I feared that Quantum Break's subtitles might actually be distracting for some people.

But yeah I get the feeling that chitoryu12 is right, that those who would be annoyed by the subtitles would be outweighed by those that would appreciate them.

Podima posted:

Fun fact, tv captions being all caps is actually accurate to reality!

Huh, I often turn on subtitles when watching movies and TV shows on British TV and it's years since I've seen one that had all caps. Maybe it's an American thing?

The only time in recent years I've seen them be all caps is when watching things on Amazon video; while most shows had normal subtitles, one show did have them be all caps. I found it quite irritating.

According to this article this reason for all caps was that in the past decoders had difficulty handling "letters that had descenders (g, j, p, q, y). These letters ended up getting squished to fit in the caption line and thus became illegible. So the easy solution at the time was to convert text to all capitals." However there aren't any of those decoding problems on modern TVs, it hasn't been an issue for many years, so there's no reason for any modern TV show to have all caps for its captions.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It is also possible that I'm going off of memory of watching all-caps TV as a wee deaf lad - I don't watch enough TV these days to remember offhand if they'd solved that issue or not. Thanks for the article, that was an interesting read!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was doing a captioning test last month (as in captioning a few minutes of a TV show for free to see if I was good enough to do it for pay) and was directed to use all caps. I know I've seen both all-caps and mixed-case in use on TV. Maybe it's the difference between roll-up captioning (the "live" stuff you see on the local news that's typed up as it's said--roughly, anyway) and pop-on captioning (the more fine-tuned captions used for prerecorded shows)? I think the former is usually all-caps, while the latter is mixed-case.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

your evil twin posted:

But yeah I get the feeling that chitoryu12 is right, that those who would be annoyed by the subtitles would be outweighed by those that would appreciate them.

Ultimately the big thing here is that Quantum Break's subtitling style is it's own. If people don't like it, the only thing they can fault you for is turning them on!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Looks good to me.
Launched with that resounding endorsement.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've made a video of Toy Story 3 intending that to be my next project, but want to check how the audio levelling is. I used the same processes as my Lego City LP so the quality is decent, but want to check that I haven't made the audio too quiet, because before I leveled it by increasing them both slightly until it was both audible, but I felt that that may have been too loud in hindsight, so tried it the other way and tried dropping the game audio instead - does this sound fine, or is it too far in the other direction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXL-8ywnfXs

also while the commentary seems a little unfocused, the opening of the game is very rapidfire so it can be hard to judge good timing for commentary. The rest of the game gets chill enough that it will be easier to comment due to greater gaps between dialog, it's just the Evil Dr Porkchop will not shut up. Also I checked after the fact, there are no subtitles in the 360 version of the game.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

Hi Guys,

I want to do a Let's Play of Elder Scrolls IV Skyrim.

I have been reading the rules and it says in there to use the SSLP test poster? i'm not sure what that is? I click the link and go in there and post my screenshot but then what do I do?

I have posted two test images below.

Are they suitable?

Thanks Guys