Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

raditts posted:

This isn't very good, but not in the way I was expecting, more in a "it feels like a fan project with a huge budget" way.

But better than Axanar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, this is literally just Star Trek with different names.

I think in some cases he just replaced some of the names with other things from Star Trek (Selya is a place on Vulcan)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A lot of it feels like they're trying to get the set up /exposition out of the way as quickly as possible.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Tbqh honest if this was going during the same time as tng critics wouldnt have been so harsh (might have been poo poo on for the jokes)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The audio engineers have put a metallic echoy tinge on all the vocal fry and the XO keeps triggering it.

I hope she dies soon.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Raj's father got a promotion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So they've created jellymen

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
This is a perfectly average Star Trek episode

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

"Which one is Alara?"

"Her"

"Sorry, I'm still learning names"

8one6
May 20, 2012

So far it's okay.
I look forward to 3-5 seasons of "Ehh, nothing else is on"

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I'm not going to say this is amazing. But it is good and I have no idea why critics were trying say this was a complete piece of poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

I'm not going to say this is amazing. But it is good and I have no idea why critics were trying say this was a complete piece of poo poo.

they were upset it wasn't space family guy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This is just TNG with dick jokes, that's not bad

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Still better than Encounter at Farpoint

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm assuming no transporters?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Ohtsam posted:

Tbqh honest if this was going during the same time as tng critics wouldnt have been so harsh (might have been poo poo on for the jokes)

Yeah but if TNG was on today it would have rightfully been fuckin savaged.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Davros1 posted:

Still better than Encounter at Farpoint

Dunno if I'd say that, but far far better than The naked now

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I hope like half of the season involves the Krill and trees so they keep reusing that effects shot.

I mean, not really, but yea.

8one6
May 20, 2012

"A marriage is work."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Note the Wright Flyer on the desk.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
As a guy who works on nuclear stuff, the fact that a character is named Alara makes me smile.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway the reactions in this thread have been good enough that I'll probably watch it even if it's just because I like the visuals.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
There needs to be some work done on the jokes and the timing of said jokes

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What I'm feeling: the Star Trek stuff
What I'm not feeling: the Seth Macfarlane comedy.

It basically felt like an okay TNG episode with a few too many dumb bathroom jokes. I'll probably keep watching.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Was somewhat impressed. Good acting all around, and they didn't cut corners on sets and SFX.

The joke density was a bit low, but then I've been spoiled by Family Guy having eighteen gags a minute.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Its TNG with the seriousness toned down a few notches

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I really don't understand why the critics blasted this show so badly. I mean, its not going to be the greatest show ever made on TV, but its a solid, entertaining show and I'm already committed to watching the season. How the hell did it get 11% on rotten tomatoes?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyway the reactions in this thread have been good enough that I'll probably watch it even if it's just because I like the visuals.

They destroyed an enemy starship with a tree. Thats all you need to know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rigel posted:

I really don't understand why the critics blasted this show so badly. I mean, its not going to be the greatest show ever made on TV, but its a solid, entertaining show and I'm already committed to watching the season. How the hell did it get 11% on rotten tomatoes?

They did see more episodes. Lots of shows have a stronger pilot.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It had a couple good jokes, but a lot more macfarlinian ramble jokes that especially don't work in a dramatic context. Also a bunch of clumsy-rear end exposition but that's to be expected of a first episode. ALSO you can see the will-they-won't-they love triangle hijinks with the ex-wife coming a mile away. But anyway it wasn't terrible, we'll see how it goes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No secret disguise sideburns. 1/19

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

RentACop posted:

It had a couple good jokes, but a lot more macfarlinian ramble jokes that especially don't work in a dramatic context. Also a bunch of clumsy-rear end exposition but that's to be expected of a first episode. ALSO you can see the will-they-won't-they love triangle hijinks with the ex-wife coming a mile away. But anyway it wasn't terrible, we'll see how it goes

Are you sure? Because that sounds terrible.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
So the tree shot means the krill ship is 100' tall and so the Orville is like, 20' tall?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Going into this completely blind except for the commercials, I really wasn't expecting this to be basically TNG, but slightly less somber

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

So the tree shot means the krill ship is 100' tall and so the Orville is like, 20' tall?

Trees grow taller in a zero g environment.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You seem to want a binary great/awful outlook on the show.

It's by no means terrible. The visual effects are really good, the writing was "average tng", and the humor ranged from rambling to funny.

Is it a "must watch" out of the gate? gently caress no. But it shows potential.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

8one6 posted:

You seem to want a binary great/awful outlook on the show.

It's by no means terrible. The visual effects are really good, the writing was "average tng", and the humor ranged from rambling to funny.

Is it a "must watch" out of the gate? gently caress no. But it shows potential.

My expectation is that it's a mix of great (themes, visuals) and awful (writing, acting).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

Raj's father got a promotion.

A shameful Star Trek fan...

Well I liked it. Very much Galaxy Quest: The Series.

But holy poo poo, how does he not get sued for ripping off TNG? Bortus sounds like Worf, the ship designs, uniforms, ship interiors all look like TNG, and the Krill are basically the Jem'hadar! But I'm fine with all that. Especially since we have Kassidy Yates and Dr. Bashir's father.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

This feels like a less serious tng. I'm liking it.

Same here. Already set up a Onepass for it.

Did anyone else think that the robot sounded like Brent Spiner? I had to check and make sure it wasn't him doing the voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It sounds worse written out; the bad jokes are bad but they aren't dire, they're mainly bad because they mess up the pacing for a 'heh' level joke