Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I have a feeling the Family Guy Man's "comedy Star Trek!" angle was just a means to the end of getting the show made. The "This season..." promo seemed to lean harder on being a brightly lit space adventure. I thought the pilot's second half was stronger than the first and I look forward to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The tone is a bit uneven, but that's the worst fault honestly. I enjoyed the hell out of it. If they can smooth the transitions between the dramatic stuff and the jokes, this could become amazing.

Every exterior shot and musical cue was Seth pouring out his heart about how much he loves Star Trek. I think I easily spotted a half dozen or so shots that were framed in reference to specific shots in Star Trek.

I appreciate that they setup why the seed would grow without soil prior to doing the tree trick.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This show is going to get cancelled for sure.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should have had a third thing at the labs, between the seeds and the time ray. I kind of called the tree being a thing at some point in the climax instead of a throwaway gag.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I've wasted an hour watching worse things (looking at you, Voyager). Production qualities are good, some vaguely interesting things going on. The tonal shifts really hurt it, and I it felt stretched...might make a better brisk half hour?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I completely forgot this was on tonight.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Platonicsolid posted:

I've wasted an hour watching worse things (looking at you, Voyager). Production qualities are good, some vaguely interesting things going on. The tonal shifts really hurt it, and I it felt stretched...might make a better brisk half hour?

It reeks of some executive watching a true pilot and saying "needs more jokes". I think, given a little time to find its footing it could be a really fun, watchable show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's good to make your debut compete with football.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Q_res posted:

it could be ... watchable

Boy, talk about damning with faint praise.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
As lighter fare, it's good! I'll be watching all season.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Boy, talk about damning with faint praise.

Yes, if you cut out the "really" part you can make what I said look much worse that it actually was. Congratulations, you're a genius.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Q_res posted:

Yes, if you cut out the "really" part you can make what I said look much worse that it actually was. Congratulations, you're a genius.

"Really" was modifying "fun," not watchable.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

edit: Okay, I was just being a dick here...

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 11, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh yeah I guess it was ambiguous. But how can something be "really" watchable? Isn't watchability more or less a binary state?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

My point is more that, "really fun, watchable" should be taken as a single statement. It doesn't really work the way I intended if you edit bits out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Some good characters with potential there. And there was some good humor there too. Mainly the less crass stuff, ("That's our head biologist" and "I'm still learning names" both landed for me, as did the visual at the end with the tree).

But jesus christ I cannot stand that rear end in a top hat helmsman bro. Like I guess he's supposed to be a lovable scamp or something, but he just comes off as a hateful rear end. The guy he sits next to was a much better "amusingly unprofessional" character because he wasn't also a jerk.

Ex-wife shenanigans were exactly as cringy as I imagined, but they feel like the dumbest parts are already resolved by the end of this episode. I'm okay if they're a bit sarcastic at each other, but constant open hostility was not fun or funny at all.

I like the robot so far and can't wait to see more of him, and Bortas might be a stock character, but that kind of deadpan is pretty good in a comedy setting. There's pretty decent plot hooks for most of the senior staff.

Solidly okay so far. Has potential. This was kind of the best case scenario in my mind, given what we knew, so I'm satisfied.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I completely forgot this was on tonight.

Gonna be honest, you didn't miss a whole hell of a lot.
I didn't hate it, but I have no desire to watch any more of it. My opinion of it is a perfect :geno:.
The second half of the episode was better I guess, but the dialogue and pacing never got any better. Not-Worf was the only consistently good part imo.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Silly Burrito posted:

Same here. Already set up a Onepass for it.

Did anyone else think that the robot sounded like Brent Spiner? I had to check and make sure it wasn't him doing the voice.

I had to do the same, it's very close.

Wasn't expecting much going in, but was pleasantly surprised that it was actually enjoyable with a few flaws. I never judge a show by its pilot though, so I look forward to seeing how this tongue-in-cheek love letter to Star Trek evolves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Norm was the best part of this.

Edit: this was not very good.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 11, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
This was ok and has potential, but i don't know if it really is ok and has potential or if it's just because i'm so starved for good Trek that i'll that anything.

Some jokes are good, some jokes are bad, some jokes are good but then they completely kill the humor by lampshading so much.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Character 1: I was afraid to use open channels for fear of what this could mean. It could tip the balance in anyone's favor but we can't keep technology like this a secret forever.
Character 2: You were working all the time, and he was always there for me even when you weren't. What I did was horrible and I can't forgive myself or blame you.
Character 3: Wooo! Gettin' drunk before noon buddy! Gotta take a piss! Uh oh, just did! Haha! Good thing everyone in space is wearing a diaper. What? No one? Just me. Haha!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I smiled a few times and actually laughed at the last(?) joke.

The characters seem interesting enough and have potential.

The show is pretty.

It was pretty good. I'll be watching more.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It really didn't help that literally every joke was in a trailer, but I thought it was fine. Give it a couple seasons to grow its beard.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I don't think it was great, but it was ok. It was good enough I plan to keep watching, at least. What the whole thing seemed to me, at least, was a kind of love letter to Star Trek. Even if you didn't know it, you could tell by watching it that McFarlane was a big TNG fan, and it had that sort of TNG vibe. It was surprisingly less jokey than I expected. One of McFarlane's weaknesses, I think, is a lot of the time, he lets the humor take the place of plot. For me, that's the big problem with Family Guy. It's not just that the humor is crude or sexist or homophobic, although a lot of it is; it's that the plot is, too often, more or less non-existent. It just exists as a frame to hang jokes. One of the things that impressed me about this was that it didn't do that. The plot was solid enough without the jokes, and could have stood alone even if the plot were played completely straight.

I also wonder how much of it is influenced by the fact that it's the pilot, and forced to spend a bunch of time on exposition laying out the premise and the characters. It may get stronger when it doesn't have to do that anymore.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, as bad as the spiteful divorcee stuff was in this episode, I get the impression the show's going to be easing off that angle in the future as they learn to work together more (and hopefully not fall in love again, blargh). Assuming that stuff isn't leaned on as heavily in future episodes, the annoying rear end in a top hat helmsman's probably the biggest problem with the show. Unless he receives some serious character development, which I doubt is gonna happen, he's just gonna remain unfunny and painfully unlikable which is really going to drag down the show because I feel like the rest of the characters at least have the potential to be likable.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Any idea when this is up for streaming on Fox? I haven't watched anything on their network in years and I don't know how it works. Just the next day or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, it was better than Star Trek.

All Star Trek.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I liked Not-Worf.

I'm not sure if I liked it or not. Need more episodes to form an opinion, but it was entertaining enough to give it a try.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Which one is not-Worf?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looking at various social media reaction, people seem to have liked it. At the least, there's no dog pile.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Any idea when this is up for streaming on Fox? I haven't watched anything on their network in years and I don't know how it works. Just the next day or something?

Bob's Burgers episodes go up on their site the morning after they air, so I figure Orville will work the same way.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pakled posted:

Bob's Burgers episodes go up on their site the morning after they air, so I figure Orville will work the same way.

Thanks, I'll have to catch this tomorrow then, but I'm glad it sounds like it's at least worth giving a shot.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Which one is not-Worf?

Probably Bortas, the stoic alien whose species only has one sex.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epicurius posted:

Probably Bortas, the stoic alien whose species only has one sex.

Well Worf was security so I figured maybe it was girl with poorly defined super abilities.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Well Worf was security so I figured maybe it was girl with poorly defined super abilities.
How were they poorly defined? Her planet's gravity is way more hardcore than ours, so she's super strong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LividLiquid posted:

How were they poorly defined? Her planet's gravity is way more hardcore than ours, so she's super strong.

I guess I meant poorly demonstrated because that CG jump looked like poo poo.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I liked it.

I wish they could have just called it Star Trek - Orville. I also think the critics would have loved the exact same show if Seth Mcfarlane wasn't involved. Same script but with Jon Hamm or Luke Wilson and it would be the darling of Rotten Tomatoes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
West Coast checkin' in to say that was a fine pilot!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pakled posted:

Yeah, as bad as the spiteful divorcee stuff was in this episode, I get the impression the show's going to be easing off that angle in the future as they learn to work together more (and hopefully not fall in love again, blargh). Assuming that stuff isn't leaned on as heavily in future episodes, the annoying rear end in a top hat helmsman's probably the biggest problem with the show. Unless he receives some serious character development, which I doubt is gonna happen, he's just gonna remain unfunny and painfully unlikable which is really going to drag down the show because I feel like the rest of the characters at least have the potential to be likable.

Is the helmsman the unfunny black guy or the Captain MacFarlane's supportive best friend guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Supportive best friend guy.