Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

throw to first drat IT posted:

He has more money than everyone in this thread put together ever will and can easily spend rest of his life living in luxury while screaming slurs at people in video games.

A really hot take there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4VRs2rro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so is PUBG actually a good game or is it just a meme?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Augus posted:

so is PUBG actually a good game or is it just a meme?

It's pretty good, especially in a group.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Please don't post Pewdiepie in this thread, if I wanted to be exposed to him or any other streamer I could go literally anywhere else on the internet.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Every time I turn on a stream of it it looks like the most boring thing ever. A lot of sitting around doing nothing, looking for garbage in houses. I don't get how people derive entertainment from watching a guy camp a house for ten minutes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

YOURFRIEND posted:

Every time I turn on a stream of it it looks like the most boring thing ever. A lot of sitting around doing nothing, looking for garbage in houses. I don't get how people derive entertainment from watching a guy camp a house for ten minutes.

It's very much a "make your own fun" kind of game, if you're not somebody who responds well to that then you're never going to see the appeal.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

YOURFRIEND posted:

Have you ever seen/read Battle Royale or any of its derivatives like Hunger Games? It's literally the same draw as one of those, but you get to play it out rather than just watch.

exquisite tea posted:

It's very much a "make your own fun" kind of game, if you're not somebody who responds well to that then you're never going to see the appeal.

I'd disagree with that, it's can be a highly competitive game with a clear aim.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He has more money than everyone in this thread put together ever will and can easily spend rest of his life living in luxury while screaming slurs at people in video games.
hey i said he was rich

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

YOURFRIEND posted:

It's all about the tension and the high stakes of it all.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
wait how is We Happy Few over 50 euros :psyduck:

what the gently caress happened there?!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

botany posted:

Gearbox.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Turd Herder posted:

Looks like Pewdiepie is making waves in his streams as of late When he called another gamer a N****r during a live stream. Wonder if this will be the final nail or just more publicity?

This isn't news.

This isn't an excuse.

Guy Mann posted:

Please don't post Pewdiepie in this thread, if I wanted to be exposed to him or any other streamer I could go literally anywhere else on the internet.

This is legit.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

botany posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m0OOurtOj8&t=634s

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The best part in L.A. Noire is when it does a time jump and suddenly the main character is cheating on his wife with some lady that he had showed no chemistry with beforehand. Just "oh I guess I'm playing a cheating rear end in a top hat now"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Fil5000 posted:

Gearbox.

so they signed with gearbox and had to raise their price to the level of 51 euros? why? i don't understand what's going on but i'm sure as poo poo not paying that amount of money, holy hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

botany posted:

so they signed with gearbox and had to raise their price to the level of 51 euros? why? i don't understand what's going on but i'm sure as poo poo not paying that amount of money, holy hell.

Gearbox agreed to invest in publishing their game and then, being Gearbox, immediately raised the price to AAA levels and tacked on a bunch of super deluxe mega-hype edition pre-order junk.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

YOURFRIEND posted:

Watching full matches is kinda too much for me, but it's a game that never really plays out the same way and has this fun quiet-loud dynamic. You can drop in a hot zone and just go on a wild sprint hoping you can get good weapons and kill everyone, or you can go to the middle of nowhere and play the vulture role, but eventually you're gonna have lulls and high-stakes gunfights due to the format of the game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The workshop seems to be hosed. I can't download any goofy hat mods for XCOM2, nor any other mods for that matter. Everything is just empty. And it's not even Tuesday.

botany posted:

I legitimately think an analyst at Gearbox looked at the game and decided that with a big marketing budget they can increase the price significantly and still make more money.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

ymgve posted:

The best part in L.A. Noire is when it does a time jump and suddenly the main character is cheating on his wife with some lady that he had showed no chemistry with beforehand. Just "oh I guess I'm playing a cheating rear end in a top hat now"

Huge parts of the story got cut iirc. That's why the plot just doesn't make sense in some parts

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Are there any gaming youtubers that are interesting to watch but aren't screaming manchildren, e.g. Pewdiepie, Markiplier? I like Christopher Odd somewhat, is there anything like that?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

Gearbox agreed to invest in publishing their game and then, being Gearbox, immediately raised the price to AAA levels and tacked on a bunch of super deluxe mega-hype edition pre-order junk.

... for a game that isn't even feature complete yet, by a company that has one previous finished game (a platformer). at a price you normally pay for COD or something that tom clancy's name is on. okay. i don't know, best of luck to the devs, but i think i'll sit this one out.

edit: anyway, thanks for informing me, thread!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Are there any gaming youtubers that are interesting to watch but aren't screaming manchildren, e.g. Pewdiepie, Markiplier? I like Christopher Odd somewhat, is there anything like that?

I like video game essayist channels that put together more well-researched postmortems on game development, or analyze their story, design and systems. Raycevick, Lukie Poo, Geek Remix, and ACG's Walking the Walk series have some good material. Also enjoy the YOGScast and 8 Bites for let's plays.

Also, dunkey owns.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

exquisite tea posted:

I like video game essayist channels that put together more well-researched postmortems on game development, or analyze their story, design and systems. Raycevick, Lukie Poo, Geek Remix, and ACG's Walking the Walk series have some good material. Also enjoy the YOGScast and 8 Bites for let's plays.

Also, dunkey owns.

I like Errant Signal, also the GDC channel uploads talks from over the years and a lot of them are really interesting, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-auWfJTts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh yeah all the GDC stuff is really good, rare you get to hear the developer's voice that isn't filtered through marketing PR. The Myst postmortem by Robin Miller is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cULHgP8tmo

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Seventh Arrow posted:

I like Retro Pals because they exist mostly to archive rare and unusual games and even if the commentary isn't great they still usually manage to find interesting old games.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sardius/videos

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

botany posted:

... for a game that isn't even feature complete yet, by a company that has one previous finished game (a platformer). at a price you normally pay for COD or something that tom clancy's name is on. okay. i don't know, best of luck to the devs, but i think i'll sit this one out.

edit: anyway, thanks for informing me, thread!

For a game that appeared to be a cool 60's mod bioshock when they first showed the trailer but turned out to be just another early access randomly generated crafting survival game :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I like Retro Pals because they exist mostly to archive rare and unusual games and even if the commentary isn't great they still usually manage to find interesting old games.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sardius/videos

Game Sack is like this as well, they manage to track down a bunch of oddball collector junk from systems nobody's ever heard of.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Sultan Tarquin posted:

For a game that appeared to be a cool 60's mod bioshock when they first showed the trailer but turned out to be just another early access randomly generated crafting survival game :v:

i mean, my brain is broken enough that i actually enjoy those kinds of games, but not for over 50 bucks.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Supposedly they're removing the procgen aspect (possibly the survival stuff too I can't quite remember) after almost everybody went "man that game looks awesome too bad it's randomized survival bullshit."

Of course that doesn't justify the game's humongous price hike but That's Gearbox™!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I've been enjoying Super Bunnyhop lately because he tries to talk about stuff that's a little more obscure than most and does some light investigative research now and then. Larry Bundy Jr's stuff I find enjoyable because though it's trashy Top 5 kind of stuff on its face, he seems to go the extra mile digging stuff out of old gaming mags and often has a lot of stories about classic British devs that don't get much airtime elsewhere that I'm aware of.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've been enjoying Super Bunnyhop lately because he tries to talk about stuff that's a little more obscure than most and does some light investigative research now and then. Larry Bundy Jr's stuff I find enjoyable because though it's trashy Top 5 kind of stuff on its face, he seems to go the extra mile digging stuff out of old gaming mags and often has a lot of stories about classic British devs that don't get much airtime elsewhere that I'm aware of.

Speaking of old British games that nobody's ever heard of, here's a cool talk I recently watched about Hareraiser, a terrible game from the 1970s based off of a counterfeit contest that's half corporate intrigue, half anthropological expedition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouvi-fwrfIY

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

stories about classic British devs that don't get much airtime elsewhere that I'm aware of.

Try Kim Justice. She did the best Sensible Soccer retrospective there is. Lots of great Speccy and Atari ST stuff too. The whole channel is great if you're as sick of americentrism in videogame media as I am.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll echo the recommendation for Superbunnyhop if you're looking for long-form reviews and some investigative stuff on videogames. My go-to "just dudes talking poo poo and playing games" crew are the Super Best Friends, which seem to be pretty decent people, even though sometimes they do sound like screaming manchildren - it's mostly sincere when it happens though, so it doesn't bother me (also one of the dudes is basically insane on a Dan Ryckert level). I never watched ChristopherOdd before but he sounds chiller.

There's also our very own Slowbeef if you just want a chill dude talking over videogames and occasionally getting his mind broken by his wife.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bro team

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Mark Brown's Gamemaker Toolkit is also ok if you don't watch any of his Nintendo videos where he immediately switches to infomercial mode.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Is Battlefleet Gothic: Armada worth is doe SP only? Also is the DLC worth picking up?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zathril posted:

Is Battlefleet Gothic: Armada worth is doe SP only? Also is the DLC worth picking up?

The DLC is multiplayer/skirmish only.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zathril posted:

Yes. It's the best warhammer game out there. Multiplayer is literally just singleplayer without the campaign layer.

DLC wise it depends how into the Tau and Space Marines you are.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Try Kim Justice. She did the best Sensible Soccer retrospective there is. Lots of great Speccy and Atari ST stuff too. The whole channel is great if you're as sick of americentrism in videogame media as I am.

I'll have to take a look! Ironically between Jim Sterling, Larry Bundy Jr., and Laura Kate Dale, I admit when I stumbled into Super Bunnyhop I was like "Oh, thank goodness, a American commentator for a change.", but that's just the result of my eclectic media consumption.

But I do appreciate that kind of thing because the era of classic gaming in Europe doesn't get nearly its due, and most of it is stuff that I'd be entirely unaware of were it not for enterprising youtubers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

I've found one single person who doesn't play like this called beaglerush and he's the only one I can watch. Unlike practically every other player in existence he constantly goes looking for people to kill. This repeatedly gets him into impossible situations but he somehow digs himself out by being incredible at the game. He's had multiple games where the game hosed up and dropped him into a squads game with no squad (so it's him alone vs 24 teams of 4) and he's won.

Everything else I've seen of the game is watching paint dry.