Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

If you walk out of the area every time you need to heal you're kinda poo poo tbh

Actual quote from every fucker ever who's given the group their third cart because they're too busy dickwaving to duck out and pop a Mega and eat every fireball ever for their (our) trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Intoluene posted:

gently caress, I kinda want this as an avatar now.

Join the Jho squad, where everything is food.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

*angry pickle noises*

Omg... I love him more now. :3:

Mr. Locke posted:

Actual quote from every fucker ever who's given the group their third cart because they're too busy dickwaving to duck out and pop a Mega and eat every fireball ever for their (our) trouble.

I... dunno, I mean, most of the time you just wait, back off a bit, watch the tells, and drink your potion a ways away. I don't run out of the zone to use pots or sharpen unless I absolutely have to, or if the monster is being such a dick with their moves that it'll be faster for me to run out and come back than stay and wait for the right time.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 10, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do if I have multiple things to do

like if I just got hit by a poison attack and want to sharpen, yeah, I'm leaving to pop an antidote, heal, whetstone all in a row. because otherwise it just takes too long

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I do if I have multiple things to do

like if I just got hit by a poison attack and want to sharpen, yeah, I'm leaving to pop an antidote, heal, whetstone all in a row. because otherwise it just takes too long

Yeah that definitely makes sense and is an instance where I'd scoot on out for a sec. I just don't think it's required most of the time if you're careful. "Don't get greedy" is something I have to mutter to myself a lot when fighting the tougher monsters, lol.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

walking and healing is not gonna break the game or make it too easy hth

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mr. Locke posted:

Use your brain. Run around at a safe distance, wait for the monster to begin attacking another player or your cat, and pop a potion. You'll be done long before the monster gets through the attack animation, turns to face you, and closes the distance.

Heck, if you're truly solo, you can do it between monster attacks. The only ones that are fast enough to be really scary in that regard are like, enraged G rank Diablos and friends. But potions are faster than a full GS charge and you have plenty of opportunities to get those.

The potions in MHW may let you slowly amble about while drinking, but they also take an eternity to chug. It will be okay.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

Use your brain. Run around at a safe distance, wait for the monster to begin attacking another player or your cat, and pop a potion. You'll be done long before the monster gets through the attack animation, turns to face you, and closes the distance.

Heck, if you're truly solo, you can do it between monster attacks. The only ones that are fast enough to be really scary in that regard are like, enraged G rank Diablos and friends. But potions are faster than a full GS charge and you have plenty of opportunities to get those.

The potions in MHW may let you slowly amble about while drinking, but they also take an eternity to chug. It will be okay.

I play solo most of the time, no cats or anything. I'm a Souls player and it just feels wrong to hit the monster's back while it ignores you and aggros someone else (and tbh I feel the game's easier solo than with cats, they make the monsters a lot less predictable).

But I never saw the point in healing in between attacks when I can just run away, heal, sharpen my weapon, apply buffs or whatever or come back. It's not like I'm gonna run out of time v:shobon:v

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Stories is surprisingly fun. I was disappointed with Pokemon sun/moon and running around on a flamethrower Barroth is totally making up for it.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
So, I'm assuming I should pick up Stories once Irma dies down.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think it's "if you like monster hunter, buy stories". The MH dressing definitely makes it more appealing but the combat system is pretty basic and boring when you aren't fighting bosses. It's not awful but I think if it weren't for the fact that you can ride a shark or a lizard-chicken around no one would care about it at all.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I only played the demo but I think the rps combat system is bad. Also only 4 weapon types for some reason?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I like Stories so far, I mean it is fairly basic but it's also explicitly a kids' game. I just hate the term "Monstie," ugh.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Everything about Stories is really good for a light RPG, except for the combat. I only played like two hours of the demo and I'm already sick of fighting velociprey and konchu. The pseudo-random encounter style really doesn't work for me when the combat is so straightforward.

It's cool how they integrated all the MH mechanics in a way that doesn't feel forced, and fighting alongside your Pokémon is a cool idea. Also all the little sound effects and musical cues lifted from the main series are a nice touch.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Stories opens up a lot more once you get a bit in and can start genemodding your monsters so your Azuros starts spitting fireballs and such. Its surprisingly deep with weapon combos and stuff too that you only really need for the postgame stuff.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Stories question, do bingo bonuses stack? Like if I get fire bingo one way and then another way do I get two fire bonuses?

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
No, you can only get any given bingo once.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So I'm having to start fresh in MonHun: Generations and I'm trying out the charge blade for once. Since my usual play style is Adept duals, how much of a hard time am I gonna have and how should I aim to us the Styles?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's rotten luck or what but every single multi-mob quest I've done in XX has been awful because the monsters have been inseparable. I get one monster to leave, first thing the second monster does is follow it. I've been throwing dung bombs for over 7 minutes now on a rath quest and they change area simultaneously every time :suicide: This isn't fun and multi-mob quests in general are pretty crummy.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So I'm having to start fresh in MonHun: Generations and I'm trying out the charge blade for once. Since my usual play style is Adept duals, how much of a hard time am I gonna have and how should I aim to us the Styles?

Adept is really cool, you get the adept guard when in sword mode and the adept dodge in axe mode. Also when you've got red shield, your blocks will unleash a phial blast which means you can kill dumb-rear end monsters like Bulldrome by simply blocking the entire time while he kills himself :getin:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Your Computer posted:

I don't know if it's rotten luck or what but every single multi-mob quest I've done in XX has been awful because the monsters have been inseparable. I get one monster to leave, first thing the second monster does is follow it. I've been throwing dung bombs for over 7 minutes now on a rath quest and they change area simultaneously every time :suicide: This isn't fun and multi-mob quests in general are pretty crummy.

Adept is really cool, you get the adept guard when in sword mode and the adept dodge in axe mode. Also when you've got red shield, your blocks will unleash a phial blast which means you can kill dumb-rear end monsters like Bulldrome by simply blocking the entire time while he kills himself :getin:

Just fight them both at the same time. :getin:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually it seems like this quest is just hosed up. Even with copious dung bombs, they'll just leave and then immediately come back. It's been like half an hour now and they refuse to be in separate areas for more than a few seconds at a time.

leper khan posted:

Just fight them both at the same time. :getin:

yeah that's roughly half as fun as getting teeth pulled

I mean heck, even without the rath_hitboxes.txt fighting multiple mobs at once really isn't a thing that works well in monhun

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

When all else fails, you can try not attacking and just letting the monsters hit each other. Yeah, it's dumb.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Actually it seems like this quest is just hosed up. Even with copious dung bombs, they'll just leave and then immediately come back. It's been like half an hour now and they refuse to be in separate areas for more than a few seconds at a time.

yeah that's roughly half as fun as getting teeth pulled

I mean heck, even without the rath_hitboxes.txt fighting multiple mobs at once really isn't a thing that works well in monhun

I think that's a thing with Rathian + Rathalos. They're, like, mates or whatever, so they try to stick together. I feel like I've seen that behavior a lot more with that particular pair than with other random pairs of monsters (aside from Seltas + Seltas Queen).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

When all else fails, you can try not attacking and just letting the monsters hit each other. Yeah, it's dumb.
Can the raths hurt each other though? I thought it was more of a invader/regular thing.

Triarii posted:

I think that's a thing with Rathian + Rathalos. They're, like, mates or whatever, so they try to stick together. I feel like I've seen that behavior a lot more with that particular pair than with other random pairs of monsters (aside from Seltas + Seltas Queen).
Yeah, that makes sense. Still sucks from a gameplay/fun perspective but at least it makes sense.

Hilariously, I finally got rathalos to limp and when he went back to the nest to sleep rathian loving followed him again. :tizzy:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yes, all monsters can hurt each other (unless they changed it in XX, which I doubt). It won't look like anything is happening but eventually their poo poo will start breaking and one will fall over dead.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The Raths are programmed to flock to each other whenever one of them roars iirc. It's kinda cool but also incredibly annoying. It's best to just forget dung bombs and focus on killing one of them asap. You could also spam smoke bombs before they both see you. You'd need to sheathe and reapply every time the effect is about to wear off though. But it makes things super easy in arena quests and also for the Raths.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

BMan posted:

This was half the strategy in MH3u Test of a Hero. Let the Brachydios kill the Azure Rath For you

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

Yes, all monsters can hurt each other (unless they changed it in XX, which I doubt). It won't look like anything is happening but eventually their poo poo will start breaking and one will fall over dead.

scaterry posted:

This was half the strategy in MH3u Test of a Hero. Let the Brachydios kill the Azure Rath For you

The more you know :haw:

Imagine how great it would be if there was visual feedback on it though. Would probably make multi-mob fights more fun just for the spectacle!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

The more you know :haw:

Imagine how great it would be if there was visual feedback on it though. Would probably make multi-mob fights more fun just for the spectacle!

Yeah World is gonna be good.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

scaterry posted:

It was mine for mh4u's. Let the rajang and zinogre kill each other. The rajang always won.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It is total bullshit you can't ride a Daimyo Hermitaur in Stories :negative:

Also that Great Jaggi and Kecha are relatively late. They're fun and have cool movesets but low stats means they're eh compared to things like Diablos, Khezu or Rathian.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Can you ride an agnaktor

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Can you ride an agnaktor

Nope :(

As far as I've gotten Agnaktor and Daimyo/Plum Hermitaurs are the only large monsters in the game you can't ride.

I'm currently rocking a party of Zamtrios/Barroth/Urugaan/Rathalos/Great Jaggi/Shrouded Nerscylla and its super good and fun tho.

Hilariously, Qurupeco is easily the most valuable monster in the game for its field skill since it summons a random battle from the full encounter list and some monsters are just stupid rare. Like without it I still wouldn't have fought a Rathian or Cephadrome.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 11, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I've got three herbivore eggs but I can't clear the quest to show the Worrywart Rider one in Stories. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: nevermind! I abandoned and retook the quest and its good!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/world/contest/

I'm disappointed only one of these will make it into the game.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
On the plus side, at least it'll be the hunting horn.
'
edit: what no that one's so ugly howwwww

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 12, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I thought the amber hammer already won?

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
Here's another video from the world event. Shows off the end of the Rath fight and some other mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ToqzhGm2_o

I just got permission to narrate some other footage after this as well, so there should be at least two new videos after this one.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Did Yian Garuga get worse in Generations or did I fight him so few times in 4U that I've forgotten what a bastard he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

Nope :(

As far as I've gotten Agnaktor and Daimyo/Plum Hermitaurs are the only large monsters in the game you can't ride.

I'm currently rocking a party of Zamtrios/Barroth/Urugaan/Rathalos/Great Jaggi/Shrouded Nerscylla and its super good and fun tho.

Hilariously, Qurupeco is easily the most valuable monster in the game for its field skill since it summons a random battle from the full encounter list and some monsters are just stupid rare. Like without it I still wouldn't have fought a Rathian or Cephadrome.

I hatched a Pink Rathian right before getting to the second town, but I can't use it yet because I'm not experienced enough for Rarity 3 monsters, or something. So Queen Rosa is just there in my stable. Taunting me.

Still loving the game though!

• Locked thread