Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Enjoy S while it lasts. S+ is honestly a complete shitshow in terms of matchmaking.

I broke the OK bar 5 times just this week in both RM and TC and I finally...ranked down to A+ again in TC and I'm on the 3rd crack in RM :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Enjoy S while it lasts. S+ is honestly a complete shitshow in terms of matchmaking. Matches have been severely uneven up here. Boy I sure do love being matched against S+50s while I'm a lowly S+0 and being utterly destroyed. :suicide:

I managed to get to S+ Splat Zones and I don't think I won a single game there. I think this is just where my elo will stay for now.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Meanwhile I have a shitfit with myself "only" winning 60% in S+, I have got to chill out.

Hell moreso cause a loss is sometimes ignored. I swear I get a lot of bumps vs crack because I manage to do well even if my team doesn't or it's random I can't tell. Anyone know?

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 11, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's frustrating as hell in the moment for sure. Like for example last night I lost 3 tower control games in a row in overtime. That's just heart crushing. And my last 50 W-L is negative which sucks! But the matches are all close and usually really fun, so as long as I clear that OK line I just try different weapons and enjoy the matches.

If I ever fall back down to A+ though I'll lose my mind

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

LethalGeek posted:

Meanwhile I have a shitfit with myself "only" winning 60% in S+, I have got to chill out.

Hell moreso cause a loss is sometimes ignored. I swear I get a lot of bumps vs crack because I manage to do well even if my team doesn't or it's random I can't tell. Anyone know?

Cracks are dependent upon your hidden matchmaking rating and the power level of the lobbies you've been in. Though there's more to it than that. You basically have a hidden damage meter. Every time you lose a match, it starts to gain points. Every 25 points, your ranked meter will crack, and if that reaches 100, your ranked bar breaks. The number of points you gain depends on your matchmaking rating compared to the lobby's power level. If the game suspects that you really don't belong there, you'll take a lot more damage and see a crack after every loss.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Had a good streak this weekend with the N-Zap 85- balance between ink efficiency and decent range lets me ink turf pretty easily and not be outranged in every single goddamn fight like with the Aerospray and Splattershot Jr. Feels good when you armor up a few other people on your side and you tear through the opposing team too.

Dualies feel good with some ink usage reduction stuff too- rolling away from a super jump spawncamp feels good and it seems like you can surprise a lot of people with the increased range and rate of fire after the roll but it takes a little more thought to set up

find myself just not using the subweapons a lot of the time and I know that's not really right so I gotta work on that

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So lately I've been thinking: since Splatoon 2 has been out for a month and a half, there really should be a Turf Wars tournament for SA members - a goonament if you may. It all comes down to possible participants. It probably won't be big at first, considering a full Turf Wars match requires 8 squids. But hey, at least there'll be something to do until the next Splatfest. We might either form teams independently or do a raffle if that proves to be impossible for some reason. As to what format the tournament would be, well, that depends on the amount of participants. But I plan to have it so that there's more than one match for every team.

So I ask from you, freshest squidkids, how many of you would be ready for one? The whole event would probably last less than a hour.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'd be down for one, but scheduling seems like it would be very tricky considering how many people would be needed to partake in one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm 100% down. You might want to put together a Doodle form or something so people can mark out their available times to organize it easier.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
A goonfest is a really good idea. I think doing teams probably makes sense, but I've got zero know-how of tournament organizing. I know the Rocket League goons have run like three successful for-fun goon tournaments - here's their most recent thread, just for reference and inspiration.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I use https://www.challonge.com when I run online fighting game tourneys. It's pretty robust, and you can have a team tourney set up, and make like group stages, single/double elimination etc. You can also have people check in before the tourney starts to see who did and didn't make it and adjust accordingly, along with having spots to share friend codes so people can team up on the day of.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I need a goon tournament yesterday. I know nothing about organizing but I would totally participate.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Cracks are dependent upon your hidden matchmaking rating and the power level of the lobbies you've been in. Though there's more to it than that. You basically have a hidden damage meter. Every time you lose a match, it starts to gain points. Every 25 points, your ranked meter will crack, and if that reaches 100, your ranked bar breaks. The number of points you gain depends on your matchmaking rating compared to the lobby's power level. If the game suspects that you really don't belong there, you'll take a lot more damage and see a crack after every loss.

I was probably better off not knowing this lol. thanks

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
So I got this today and haven't played the first game. What's the most important thing to know?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm down for a goon tourney.

EDIT: Jesus, use motion controls.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 11, 2017

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

If it's turf war I'd be down. Never played ranked

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh I thought it was 8 losses = rank down since I thought you got a crack every 2 losses, thanks for the info

In Training posted:

If I ever fall back down to A+ though I'll lose my mind

On the bright side, the queues are lightning fast again.... :(

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 11, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jade Mage posted:

If it's turf war I'd be down. Never played ranked

It has to be turf I believe, if we use the private room to make the games. You can even do 3v3 or 2v2 that way, which might make turf war more interesting

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hey, those squid icons at the top of the screen? They aren't decorations, please pay attention to them! If you see that 3 of your teammates are dead, and the entire team is alive, fall back. Yes, I know it sucks to let them have the objective, but that's the situation your team got themselves into, so you'll have to deal with it. Going in alone and dying will not accomplish anything and will always make things worse! Deaths are very very costly in matches. It is far better to wait for the enemy team to mess up than to try to initiate something when they have the advantage. Defensive play is considerably more valuable than aggressive play. And if the entire enemy team is dead, that's the time to go secure the objective, not trying to spawn camp a dead team! :bang:

Also pay attention to if the icons are glowing or not. If your team does not have their specials ready, but the enemy team does, prepare for them to push and maybe prepare to fall back, depending on the map.

Paying attention to the icons at all times will vastly help your judgement making skills, which are absolutely important in the higher ranks along with individual skill. The only time it's acceptable to throw judgement out the window is if the match is about to end, and the enemy team is about to get/has the advantage, and you have no other choice.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 11, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A tournament would be a lot of fun. I still haven't put my info down on the Google Docs thing, but being a Euro-goon, wouldn't hours be tricky to navigate for all parties? That said, I won't be putting my info down until I get a better internet connection because I get dropped 1 every 3 matches on a good day so I don't want to put anyone through that.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

So I got this today and haven't played the first game. What's the most important thing to know?

I'm still very much a novice but a few things I've come to realize:

I didn't like them at first, but motion controls are really helpful.

Also the conceit of the main gameplay (Turf Wars) is super important to remember. You're there to paint the ground, not kill the opposing team. When you realize that that's the whole point of the game it flips the norms of shooters on it's head. Like you may get that that's the idea, but really sticking to it is a lot of fun and very innovative in my opinion. If you are in a firefight, I find it best to run away and try to flank, or go head-on iff you have backup.

After that you re-fill your ammo quickest by swimming in the ink, and as you move much faster while swimming get used to painting a path and using it to move forward much faster.

I think besides that the last thing I learned that was great to find out about and wasn't made clear ever was that you can super jump (quick-jump to an teammate) but opening up the map via X selecting the player with the arrows and pressing A. Took me a while to figure out but it was very useful.

Also don't snipe. It's a bad gun.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I agree with all of the above but also consider playing the single player levels in Octo canyon. It introduces the weapon types and gives good practice.

Or just jump in to salmon run or turf war. You can't go wrong.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

This is a good point to emphasize. I don't peek at the top nearly enough during games, I just run to the objective and start poking the enemy and painting turf and I feed a little too much doing this. I've been able to win a lot of my 1v1s starting out in ranked and I usually get a lot of kills but I don't think I have a system for making decisions about whether to engage or back-off. I just 1v[however many] the enemy team and either kill them or get killed.

Also I'm digging the rapid blaster. Ink Mines are a tough draw but it's been interesting trying to figure out how to use them.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I'd be very interested in trying a goon tournament if it gets scheduled when I'm available. I'd be down for doing it monthly or something if it goes smoothly and is fun

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
That would be 8 interested participants for Goonfest so far. I guess there's a chance this might work. But in what way, I'll have to think and compare, since we aren't dealing with established teams. Yet.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rexroom posted:

That would be 8 interested participants for Goonfest so far. I guess there's a chance this might work. But in what way, I'll have to think and compare, since we aren't dealing with established teams. Yet.

Well couldn't you do team based battles, which would be drawn at random if not chosen individually and have a team winner as well as an individual winner based on their ranking at the end of each match, kills, and specials used included?

You could also do a Salmon Run tourney with teams competing for the best egg scores.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You could also do a Salmon Run tourney with teams competing for the best egg scores.

There's too much RNG in the mod for this to actually be a reliable test of skill though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

I'd like to join but I'm not very good at this game

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
As soon as I started Jump Horizontal Flicking the roller clicked for me like never before. I'm not only able to paint ground way further and more evenly but my killing potential is increased. I need to get ink saver sub for sure for the curling bomb set. Performing the horizontal jump flick is a pain to do consistently though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know what is going on the last couple days but I have been consistently put on the absolute worst loving teams in A+, and have ranked down in splat zones and tower control from just a straight up series of loving knockout losses. Like "two members of the team get zero kills, nobody seems interested in attaining the objective, opposing team has the entire map covered in the first minute and every time I try to move in I have all four members of the other loving team shooting me at the same time", worst loving teams.

gently caress ranked modes, and if you're reading this, gently caress you too.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Internet Kraken posted:

There's too much RNG in the mode for this to actually be a reliable test of skill though.

But that's any mode in a team game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As far as I'm aware Splatoon doesn't have any RNG in vs modes

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I just realized he meant RNG in terms of salmonids, not RNG in terms of the three people you're saddled with.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/kakusugar/status/907195249901969408

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tournament me, daddy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In terrible taste:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

And you felt the need to share that, why? :raise:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I haven't gotten around adding any goons yet but I'm down for a tourney, schedule permitting (evenings and weekends EST mostly).

I'll add it to the doc too but here's my code:
SW-1302-6327-5429
Name: Hrdcordion (drat character limit...)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

In terrible taste:

Haha this rules.

Dr. Fetus posted:

And you felt the need to share that, why? :raise:

Because it's hilarious even while I'm desperately trying to figure out if my home is intact.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

In terrible taste:

Oh this is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I will absolutely play a turf war tournament.