Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doing Rae Lakes loop in King's Canyon over 4 or 5 nights next week. Bit nervous as this is only my 2nd backpacking trip after wussing out after only 1 night on the trans-Catalina trail.

I'm much more prepared gear and technique wise this time though, so hopefully it will be a great trip.

Can anyone who has been up there recently report if there is much fire smoke in the area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

marshmonkey posted:

Doing Rae Lakes loop in King's Canyon over 4 or 5 nights next week. Bit nervous as this is only my 2nd backpacking trip after wussing out after only 1 night on the trans-Catalina trail.

I'm much more prepared gear and technique wise this time though, so hopefully it will be a great trip.

Can anyone who has been up there recently report if there is much fire smoke in the area?

Here's kind of a cool thing. Satallite pictures each day of whatever area you want to see. Gives you a vague idea of the amount of smoke...

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

They don't have imagery from today yet but you can go back to yesterday and then zoom in on the Sierras. Click the "Place Labels" overlay to make it easier to tell what you're looking at.

Can see the big fire near Yosemite and there's another south of Fresno that might cause some issues. Looks like it was cloudy yesterday as well!

In general it's just smokey as poo poo in California right now unfortunately. I'm headed to the Eastern Sierras next week so I'll be interested to see what the conditions are on that side. Going in over Kearsarge Pass so won't be that far from where you're headed! We're heading south, maybe over Junction and Shepphard pass and eventually out through the Cottonwood trailhead.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

svenkatesh posted:

Thank you! By the above, do you mean an ice axe/crapons (or microspikes)?

I mean, its entirely possible that higher elevation passes will be impassible due to snowfall, but it is not the norm. Crampons and Ice axes are for glacier travel. At most, you would hit heavy snowfall, so they wouldn't be much help anyway. Micro-spikes wouldn't be an entirely bad idea in case you hit some lighter snow.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

marshmonkey posted:

I just got out of SEKI this weekend and the wildfire smoke was intermittent, although we were a bit south of where you'll be. The shifting winds throughout the day, and the afternoon thunderstorms at elevation, really helped to clear it out. One morning was particularly bad, though.

Be careful crossing the south fork of the Kings River. Still a dangerous flow.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Levitate posted:

In general it's just smokey as poo poo in California right now unfortunately. I'm headed to the Eastern Sierras next week so I'll be interested to see what the conditions are on that side. Going in over Kearsarge Pass so won't be that far from where you're headed! We're heading south, maybe over Junction and Shepphard pass and eventually out through the Cottonwood trailhead.

I'll be crossing Lamarck Col and backpacking the Evolution Region for a few nights soon. I'll report what fire activity I see for any Eastern Sierra fans. Heard on radio today Monitor Pass which links Highway 50 to 395 is closed due to wildfire. I'll keep Tioga Pass open as a backup route!

Honestly I'm more concerned about storms than fire during the backpacking. My rain layering is one obvious thing in my gear that is subpar. (To be clear I have a Marmot ski jacket, not bad for waterproofing but imperfect)

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 6, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'll be crossing Lamarck Col and backpacking the Evolution Region for a few nights soon. I'll report what fire activity I see for any Eastern Sierra fans. Heard on radio today Monitor Pass which links Highway 50 to 395 is closed due to wildfire. I'll keep Tioga Pass open as a backup route!

Honestly I'm more concerned about storms than fire during the backpacking. My rain layering is one obvious thing in my gear that is subpar. (To be clear I have a Marmot ski jacket, not bad for waterproofing but imperfect)

Yeah I'm going over Tioga because it's pretty and I have a parks pass so I don't have to pay the $30 entrance fee

I'd be interested in how Lamarck Col looks. I've considered going over that for the next stretch of the Sierra High Route I want to do (Evolution to Red's Meadow). Looks like it has a rep for a lot of snow in a "normal" year?

Other option is Echo Col which I'd honestly be more interested in because it would be sweet to spend a night at Wanda Lake again. Would be a bit longer trip but I imagine I could drive out and hike in 4 miles or so in one day, then hit up Echo Col and into Evolution Basin for the next day. All this requires me finding a spare week next year with a 1.5 year old...

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Katahdin is a hell of mountain.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You had to quit for a while due to some complications right? Congratulations on finishing it!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nope that wasn’t me. I’m the one that was hiking with the gf that ended up getting off trail. And had the rainy days on all the cool views. Surprise Katahdin was the same.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

George H.W. oval office posted:

Congratulations!! That's amazing, I can't even begin to imagine the feeling of accomplishment you must be feeling right now!

What are some of the biggest take-aways and tidbits of advice that you've gained from your experiences on the trail?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Congrats man! Good luck getting home and enjoy that first home shower/bed/beer.

Give us a gear review when you have a chance.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Super congrats and super jealous.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Congrats! And yes Katahdin is an awesome mountain and a fitting end to the trail. Did you take the knife edge back down?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Man, I imagine thats a tough enough climb for someone with both legs, but major kudos to you for overcoming your disability like that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

No response from my prof yet but that's really not a surprise for a guy who created an outdoor education university degree as a pet project. Wouldn't be surprised if he was off the grid for another 3 days even though classes start in about 6 hours.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well my Glacier NP trip is in serious jeopardy now. I dont trust the wildfires to not spread and cause more trail closures and evacuations, and even if they didnt close the area near the fire that I had permits for I'm not sure inahling all of that smoke and the hazy views would be worth the trip. So with that said, I'm trying to come up with some alternatives within a reasonable drive of Spokane.

I was thinking about Yellowstone but have no idea if it would be to busy to have any hopes of getting any backcountry advanced permits for. Does anyone have any recommendations on good multi day hikes in Yellowstone or the area? Unfortunately all of the West seems on fire right now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Unfortunately all of the West seems on fire right now.

Thats a fairly accurate assessment.

I would say the Olympic Peninsula but I have a few friends who just came back and said it was smoky there too. At this point, I'm not sure if/when you'll be able to escape the smoke.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I think there's a good chance the smoke in the Olympics will clear out soon, though I did delay a trip there. Keep an eye on the currently smoky webcam closer to your trip.

Here's a picture someone posted on NWHikers of an Olympic bear trying to keep cool last weekend:

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Verman posted:

Thats a fairly accurate assessment.

I would say the Olympic Peninsula but I have a few friends who just came back and said it was smoky there too. At this point, I'm not sure if/when you'll be able to escape the smoke.

I was at Lake Cushman this past weekend and it did indeed start getting smoky Monday and continued into Tuesday. Don't know how it is now though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kick in' it in Independence CA :toot:

Seems pretty clear on this side of the Sierras, hopefully that holds. Maybe get get a little rain this weekend too...heading in over Kearsarge pass tomorrow

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Has anyone here backpacked the Skye Trail on Isle of Skye in Scotland? I'm planning on late spring, pretty much dead set. I was originally planning something in the Cairngorms but Isle of Skye is way better suited for the style and experience my husband and I have. Plus it's cliffs and crags and pinnacles and ocean which is just the best poo poo ever.

I've never wilderness camped or backpacked anywhere else other than my Rockies and paddling the Green River in Utah so this is a really new experience for me even though I've been travelling independently for over a decade. Staying in hostels and hotels abroad while traveling by vehicle or transit is pretty different and much easier to plan than traveling on foot with your food, water, and shelter on your back. So I do have questions if anyone's been there before.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a website that has weather forecasts for trails? All of the usual websites just have towns. Since I'm in CO and looking to go up to the mountains in September, temperatures can vary quite a bit over a short distance. I saw a facebook photo of an old friend hiking this weekend and realized that yet another summer has passed without doing any of the outdoorsy stuff I always plan on doing :smith:

Also any recommendations for hikes for out of shape people in the Front Range between the Wyoming border and Boulder-ish? I was thinking RMNP, but I'm open to other options that would let us spend the $20 fee on lunch/dinner instead.

I don't think it will matter since we need to do easy hikes anyway, but I don't actually have hiking boots that fit. Mine are 10 years old and several sizes too big. I'll probably be wearing a pair of running shoes instead.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a website that has weather forecasts for trails? All of the usual websites just have towns. Since I'm in CO and looking to go up to the mountains in September, temperatures can vary quite a bit over a short distance. I saw a facebook photo of an old friend hiking this weekend and realized that yet another summer has passed without doing any of the outdoorsy stuff I always plan on doing :smith:

Also any recommendations for hikes for out of shape people in the Front Range between the Wyoming border and Boulder-ish? I was thinking RMNP, but I'm open to other options that would let us spend the $20 fee on lunch/dinner instead.

I don't think it will matter since we need to do easy hikes anyway, but I don't actually have hiking boots that fit. Mine are 10 years old and several sizes too big. I'll probably be wearing a pair of running shoes instead.

Wild basin.

Ouzel lake for a really short trip, thunder lake for longer. Boulder grand pass for a fun scramble side trip, mount Alice for a summit.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've never seen anything that has weather for all trails. It seems like most trail related sites are fairly local. Weather.gov has a map that you can click through and get fairly specific weather station reports. As long as there's a station near where you you're hiking, they should be pretty good. And the NWS has lots of stations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wild basin trail head. Hike as far as you can but at least try to make the falls.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for all the recommendations. Denali was amazing. We did 3 nights in the back country and had ~40 square miles to ourselves.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Darksky.net allow you to put in long+lat coordinates. I find the trailhead on Google Maps, right click and choose "what's here" to get the long+lat of that point, then drop it in darksky. You can do a second check for a point farther down the trail, too, if it'd be substantially different. It's a bit clunky, but it's always worked for me.

I've found it to be pretty drat accurate so far. Used it frequently in the past year for Oregon and Washington hikes.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

huhu posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. Denali was amazing. We did 3 nights in the back country and had ~40 square miles to ourselves.

Woooow! That looks amazing. I think you said you were planning to take a 35L bag. What was your gear list like for those 3 nights? And how did you end up handling the bear can?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Tigren posted:

Woooow! That looks amazing. I think you said you were planning to take a 35L bag. What was your gear list like for those 3 nights? And how did you end up handling the bear can?

Indeed. We hiked on Polychrome Mountain which had every color rock you could imagine.

As far as gear, unfortunately, I found out, our part of the park to sleep had 0 trees so I had to ditch most of the gear I bought. I stuck with the 35L bag and got a net that went around the outside of my pack which added ~5L. Gear list I'd say was pretty typical, if you have questions let me know. The things I was really grateful for having were water socks, a rain jacket, a good sleeping bag, and bear spray. The tundra was insanely soft and if you could find a good spot, you didn't need a sleeping mat. As far as the bear can, my friends had larger packs so I didn't have to deal with that.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Ropes4u posted:

Wild basin trail head. Hike as far as you can but at least try to make the falls.

I just got back from RMNP a couple weeks ago and did this. Went all the way up to snowbank lake and it was amazing. The marked trail only goes to Lion Lake #1 and is nothing special by Colorado standards. After that however you are wayfinding up on the foot of like three mountains (one of which is Long's Peak) with standing ice feeding alpine lakes connected by waterfalls. It was pretty amazing.

The first couple of miles or so of the Wild Basin is swamped with families and what not going to the waterfalls. After that you practically have it to yourself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Has anyone here backpacked the Skye Trail on Isle of Skye in Scotland? I'm planning on late spring, pretty much dead set. I was originally planning something in the Cairngorms but Isle of Skye is way better suited for the style and experience my husband and I have. Plus it's cliffs and crags and pinnacles and ocean which is just the best poo poo ever.

I've never wilderness camped or backpacked anywhere else other than my Rockies and paddling the Green River in Utah so this is a really new experience for me even though I've been travelling independently for over a decade. Staying in hostels and hotels abroad while traveling by vehicle or transit is pretty different and much easier to plan than traveling on foot with your food, water, and shelter on your back. So I do have questions if anyone's been there before.

Sounds awesome! I haven't done anything as cool as that on Skye, but do be prepared for midges.

While I'm sure you're aware of this, the only other piece of advice I have is that hiking in the UK (and most of Europe I suppose) isn't always much like in a national park in America. There are loads of public rights of way (including a general right to roam open land in the UK), but not many large truly wild areas. Much of Skye is used for sheep grazing etc with small quaint villages. I think this is still great, but it is different.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah, I came to realize a lot of that when I took a senior level parks geography course in school, North America is actually more of an exception to standards in protected area expectations even though they consider themselves the rule. US and Canada were the first to establish national parks but most other places realize that the North American model doesn't work in their landscape due to historical land use and came up with their own models for park design that are major departures from "Don't touch anything in this block of land".

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, I came to realize a lot of that when I took a senior level parks geography course in school, North America is actually more of an exception to standards in protected area expectations even though they consider themselves the rule. US and Canada were the first to establish national parks but most other places realize that the North American model doesn't work in their landscape due to historical land use and came up with their own models for park design that are major departures from "Don't touch anything in this block of land".

Sounds like an interesting course, I always love stopping and reading the little noticeboards explaining the history of conservation areas and how they are being managed (this really annoys my partner). It would be great to study the politics and policy around this in way more detail.

Midges are an underrated traffic management factor imo.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 11, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

incogneato posted:

Darksky.net ...

I've found it to be pretty drat accurate so far. Used it frequently in the past year for Oregon and Washington hikes.
Darksky seems to have good summaries. For Washington you want https://atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/ and the WRF-GFS (though the ensembles can be useful as well).

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a website that has weather forecasts for trails?

I like to use the National Weather Service (http://www.weather.gov/)

You can zoom into any part of the map and click for a detailed forecast for that particular area. Works for campgrounds, trailheads, etc.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I am going for a 370km hike in a few days. Any little thing I should consider bringing for improved quality of life? I have never done such a long hike before and I suspect there might be something you only start to feel a need for once on the road for 5 days.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

EssOEss posted:

I am going for a 370km hike in a few days. Any little thing I should consider bringing for improved quality of life? I have never done such a long hike before and I suspect there might be something you only start to feel a need for once on the road for 5 days.

Post a pack list so we know what you already have. Also, where are you going?

Luxuries I enjoy:

Blow up pillow
Nice TP
Camp shoes (flip flops or crocs)
Booze of some sort
Kindle

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Levitate posted:

I'd be interested in how Lamarck Col looks. I've considered going over that for the next stretch of the Sierra High Route I want to do (Evolution to Red's Meadow). Looks like it has a rep for a lot of snow in a "normal" year?

Lamarck Col is somewhat easy according to those experienced with crossing high passes. Speaking as someone who is NOT that experienced, I reached the Col in one day instead of the two that is often recommended. However, I must admit this was not easy for me. It was arduous for the final two miles, the ridges to go over seemed to go on and on. It is Class 2 entirely, so I can see why it is a popular cross country route. There are some snowfields, one is permanent below the Col, but they are not adversarial and I would argue they do not require crampons or an ice ax (I used my ax a little bit for comfort).

As I was 200 feet away from reaching the top, a heavy snow storm began! In haste we prepared a shelter between two giant vertical rocks at the top. The snow had a particular icy, solid density, almost like hail. By then, having gained 4000ft in elevation, I was mentally drained and disorganized.

The next couple of days I got to explore some of Mount Darwin and roamed Darwin Canyon. It owned. Just another HWY 395 Outdoor Superhighway win.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

EssOEss posted:

Welp don't I feel like the day hiker now, getting worried about my upcoming 5dy/75mi/18000ft.

What will truly improve your mood are the things that you need or crave. Alcohol, chocolate, sugar, sleep, movies, sex, books, the Internet, cheese, ice cream, .... Figure out some way to have one of the things after a few days so you don't go bonkers.

For example, food is probably the easiest category; if you just have to stuff your face with pizza every Friday night, well then you'd better be ready to suffer unless you have Friday night pizza planned. If you don't know how to bake on the trail, or it's not practical with your gear, find a reasonable substitute. Eg, pepperoni, cheese, prebaked crust, will be welcome even if cold.

Little Nalgene bottles of liquor, dark chocolate, sugar cubes or packets, instant coffee, astronaut ice cream, saving phone power to watch a transferred movie or to listen to music, a mini Bible, a day off to do nothing but sleep, a few pieces of paper for "blog posts", a mini Tao te Ching, wandering around watering and talking to the flowers one morning, .... Coupled with the limitations of your hike, there should be a way to do something nice for yourself.

Then there's the basics to feeling good. Stretching, meditation, getting enough sleep, taking a razor to shave, a little bit of lube for chafing, athletic tape for foot issues, gloves/mittens for chilly evenings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a website that has weather forecasts for trails?

I think you are looking for https://www.mountain-forecast.com/ It gives your forecast based on peaks and their elevation, not some random local forecast that is 4,000 foot down in the valley.

I've used this site for hiking for the last couple of years, and I have found it pretty accurate. That said forecast in the mountains can change fast. I found it best to combine it with a generic closest town forecast, and you will be set (until the mountain goes gently caress you and I'm going to do what I want).