Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

You require sour cream for a stroganoff, without it you are making beef in cream sauce. Did you use brandy and mustard in the sauce?

Perhaps you could swap the sour cream for regular cream, the mustard for sharp cheddar and the brandy for peas, then you could call it a carbonara.
I guess if we want to freak out about presumed notions of purity then Mexican crema or crème fraîche would be better substitutes for smetana than sour cream is, but there's so much variability between commercial and traditional forms---and regional variations---of all of the above that if you want to make some sort of authenticity argument you're not going to be able to come up with anything that's true across all of them.

And that's assuming you're attempting to recapitulate the version of the dish popular in Tsarist Russia, which is actually a much more obscure form of the dish than the later French take on it that most people know best. Then poo poo gets really complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Purity is overrated, just make something that's good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Beef and cream might be good, but it isn't a stroganoff and it's wrong to say that you can just substitute different tasting ingredients and have the same dish.

If you don't like stroganoff, or any other dish, don't have it. Don't change the very things that make it what it is and pretend it's the same so you can appropriate the dish to suit your crappy tastebuds.

Edit: and yes, I am aware of the irony of this when referring to a dish that was changed by the French to include the ingredients in talking about

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 9, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I know it's a hip buzzword now, but that's really not what appropriation means.

I think making changes is fine as long as you're aware you're making changes. Like this weekend I'm making pesto primarily with spinach rather than basil, to get a little more vegetable into it and because I really like spinach. I'm not gonna not make a perfectly good food because someone on the internet will cry about The One True Pesto.

The only people who'll burn in hell for their substitutions are the ones who comment on recipes to say that they swapped out five ingredients, left out all the spices for DH, and are mad it didn't work.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pesto just means a sauce that's been ground in a pestle, so it's not really the same.

I see the point, I just think if you don't like sour cream with beef, maybe you shouldn't make stroganoff, not complain about the taste and sub in an ingredient that doesn't belong. Just make something else!

Edit : I can see I'm in the minority here, so I'll stop now

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 9, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Pesto just means a sauce that's been ground in a pestle, so it's not really the same.

I see the point, I just think if you don't like sour cream with beef, maybe you shouldn't make stroganoff, not complain about the taste and sub in an ingredient that doesn't belong. Just make something else!

i've never had stroganoff before, in my defense. and i didn't sub anything in, the recipe said to use sour cream (which i like, i make some banging tacos with the stuff). just wanted to angrily vent about the fact i took a huge leap of faith on something i'd never even tried before, and ended up wasting £20 of some top quality beef

i'm also not a cuisine puritan, i'll happily sub stuff in and out if i think it'll suit my tastes better. food is so much better when you just go with the flow instead of strictly adhering to rules and recipes

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Is this a good time to ask about chili? :laugh:

Thanks all for the quiche tips.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Candy making question, two parter

1) I'm looking to make candy from scratch that pops like Pop Rocks. However, brief research has led me to the point where home made is a little more fizzy than poppy (using citric acid and baking soda added to molten sugar). Is there a way to make it more poppy? The real process seems to involve pressurized CO2 and molten sugar and that just seems like a burn ward visit waiting to happen.

2) If I wanted to sell home made candy over the internet, what are the legal steps needed to follow? Do I need a license of any kind?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It turns out that four russet potatoes makes a lot of potato salad. Any uses for the leftovers? I've heard that apparently you can roast/broil it to get some crust and crunch, but other than that, not much. Maybe you can mash them up and make potato cakes?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

It turns out that four russet potatoes makes a lot of potato salad. Any uses for the leftovers? I've heard that apparently you can roast/broil it to get some crust and crunch, but other than that, not much. Maybe you can mash them up and make potato cakes?

potato cakes following morning, with some eggs and beans. breakfast of kings that'll keep you chugging right through to lunch no problem. there's been conflicting reports on whether to add flour to the potato mix, I've never tried it but it might make them extra nice and crispy. i had potato cakes just yesterday, was really filling. like hash browns without all the effort involved.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Okay, I bought a family pack of boneless skinless breast. What's the best way to cook them(preferably in the oven)? I mentioned the other day they didn't turn out well from the foreman grill. I have some marinade and also bought a meat thermometer so I can be sure not to overcook them. Should I wrap them in foil or just let them sit on a foil lined pan? How long and for what temp?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

did your foreman grill make them ooze out this disgusting orange substance? that's what happens whenever I try to grill chicken in my foreman grill

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

Edit: and yes, I am aware of the irony of this when referring to a dish that was changed by the French to include the ingredients in talking about
Yes, and don't even bother unless you're using veal stock. I mean paprika. No, sorry, smetana. I mean shrimp. No, julienned potatoes. Or rather shallots. Wait, I mean to say tomato sauce. And one must omit the mushrooms. Also include them. If, that is, one wants to follow the authentic, traditional recipes.

But whatever the gently caress you do, don't ever, ever substitute heavy cream for sour cream, because that has only been a suggested substitution literally as far back as written records of the dish exist.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Working on cleaning up my diet and in the past I've had very little success cooking ground turkey without drying it up or burning it.

I mostly plan to use it in packed lunches to take to work with rice, beans and veggies and think my rice cooker might be a good bet to keep it moist. Plan would be to cook up to 3lb and add it to the rest later (i.e. not cook it at the same time as the rice/beans) but I can't find any setting suggestions other than full on recipes.

So, that was a lot of words, about how long should I steam ground turkey in a rice cooker to get it to 165?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Okay, I bought a family pack of boneless skinless breast. What's the best way to cook them(preferably in the oven)? I mentioned the other day they didn't turn out well from the foreman grill. I have some marinade and also bought a meat thermometer so I can be sure not to overcook them. Should I wrap them in foil or just let them sit on a foil lined pan? How long and for what temp?

Put some canola oil in a medium-high heat stainless steel pan, add chicken when oil is shimmering, flip when they're nicely browned, reduce heat to lowish, cover pan, remove chicken when they hit 160 in the thickest part. Let rest, slice, serve.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

wormil posted:

Is this a good time to ask about chili? :laugh:

Thanks all for the quiche tips.

I hope so because that's what I'm interested in specifically chili con carne.

The recipe off the spice packet I use says ground beef but I was thinking of cubed beef this year if I can find out how to cook it. I use a crockpot if that makes any difference at all.

As a side note I recently learned how to make hardboiled eggs in a steamer.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

juliuspringle posted:

The recipe off the spice packet I use says ground beef but I was thinking of cubed beef this year if I can find out how to cook it. I use a crockpot if that makes any difference at all.

As a side note I recently learned how to make hardboiled eggs in a steamer.

The hint is in the title

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

One thing that helps a lot is to split them into cutlets so that they're more evenly shaped, instead of having a big thicc middle and thin overcookable edges.

Optional but helpful: brine your chicken breasts; either soak them in salty water overnight to wet brine, or just salt them heavily and let them rest in the fridge overnight to dry brine. Either way, rinse and dry well before cooking.

The oven is good if you want to cook your chicken in a sauce or heavily marinaded, but tends to try out a naked chicken breast. Try this: Season or marinade your chicken however you want. Put the chicken in a casserole dish or dutch oven. Bake uncovered at 400F for 15 minutes before you start checking temp. Always check temp at the thickest part, and check in multiple places. Pull them out when they hit 160F, or 155F if you're brave. Wrap the chicken in foil and let it rest for about 10 minutes.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Chief McHeath posted:

Working on cleaning up my diet and in the past I've had very little success cooking ground turkey without drying it up or burning it.

I mostly plan to use it in packed lunches to take to work with rice, beans and veggies and think my rice cooker might be a good bet to keep it moist. Plan would be to cook up to 3lb and add it to the rest later (i.e. not cook it at the same time as the rice/beans) but I can't find any setting suggestions other than full on recipes.

So, that was a lot of words, about how long should I steam ground turkey in a rice cooker to get it to 165?

It's tough to make ground turkey moist since the fat content is so low, aside from doing everything you can not to overcook it. I'd recommend sauteeing it with onions and spices and removing it from heat as soon as it hits 165, or doing the same with steaming if you insist on adding no fat whatsoever. I don't have advice on a specific time since every rice cooker is different in how long it takes to heat up, whether it reads the temp inside the bowl and adjusts accordingly, etc. I'd mess around with different times, starting on the lower end and finishing it off in a pan or in the microwave (carefully) if needed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

juliuspringle posted:

There is a chili thread but I stopped participating because it was 90% arguing about the definition of chili. Best advice I can give you about chili is that homemade chili powder is definitely worth it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Going camping in a couple weeks. Not off the trail or anything, it's a state park with electricity. I have some dutch ovens and a propane stove. The stove is kind of a pain as even the lowest setting is hotter than what you would call med-high on a real stove.

There will be probably be 9-10 people but I'm not the only one cooking and don't have to feed everyone. I've seen a handful of camping threads around here but none seem to stick around.

Besides stuff like bacon and eggs, here are my notes from other threads:

quote:

Dutch oven cobbler. Butter the bottom of the dutch oven. Pour in a big can or two small cans of pie filling. Pour a bag of cake mix on top in a layer of even depth. Slice up a stick of butter and put slices on top distributed roughly evenly. Cook until bubbly. 

Hobo meals - Potatoes, carrots, onions, cheese, beef or chicken

Pancake mix in zip lock bags

Pretty slim right? What do other goons make while camping but not backpacking?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

wormil posted:

There is a chili thread but I stopped participating because it was 90% arguing about the definition of chili. Best advice I can give you about chili is that homemade chili powder is definitely worth it.

How do I go about using cubed beef? Usually I use ground beef and dump it in the crockpot once it's browned but this year cost permitting I want to use chunks of meat if I can find out how to cook them. Tossing raw cubes of beef into the crockpot doesn't feel like it would cook safely to me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I put entire raw pork shoulders into the crockpot. Cubes are fine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Going camping in a couple weeks. Not off the trail or anything, it's a state park with electricity. I have some dutch ovens and a propane stove. The stove is kind of a pain as even the lowest setting is hotter than what you would call med-high on a real stove.

There will be probably be 9-10 people but I'm not the only one cooking and don't have to feed everyone. I've seen a handful of camping threads around here but none seem to stick around.

Besides stuff like bacon and eggs, here are my notes from other threads:

Pretty slim right? What do other goons make while camping but not backpacking?

Use a pie tin, fill it with chopped potatoes and onions then top with ground beef and seal with foil. You can throw this right into the coals and 30 minutes or so later, you've got a full meal. It's good with ketchup and cleanup is easy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lawnie posted:

Use a pie tin, fill it with chopped potatoes and onions then top with ground beef and seal with foil. You can throw this right into the coals and 30 minutes or so later, you've got a full meal. It's good with ketchup and cleanup is easy.

Think a dutch oven would work for a slightly bigger version of this?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Think a dutch oven would work for a slightly bigger version of this?

Yeah, for sure. Just keep the lid sealed, you want to keep as much moisture as possible inside the pot. Not sure if yours is enameled or not, but I might be a little wary of putting an enameled pot into the coals. If it's bare (seasoned) cast iron, I can't see a problem. Just up the cooking time some, you'll know it's done when the potatoes are fork tender.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I only use the enameled oven at home on the stove so a regular dutch will be great. Instead of ketchup, maybe some kind of sauce? Would putting the sauce in the dutch with the food be a bad idea?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I only use the enameled oven at home on the stove so a regular dutch will be great. Instead of ketchup, maybe some kind of sauce? Would putting the sauce in the dutch with the food be a bad idea?

You might get some burnt bits on the bottom, but since there is a lot of moisture in the vegetables it should work ok, maybe you could do some gravy or tomato sauce instead of ketchup?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You might get some burnt bits on the bottom, but since there is a lot of moisture in the vegetables it should work ok, maybe you could do some gravy or tomato sauce instead of ketchup?

I have some dutch oven liners I can use on the bottom, don't know if that would help with burning. You're basically describing dutch oven sloppy joes and that sounds fine to me.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

I'm planning on making some pesto tonight, but I don't really feel like dropping thirty dollars on a half pound of pine nuts. Does anyone have any suggestions as to good nut substitutes I could try?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Dangerous Minority posted:

I'm planning on making some pesto tonight, but I don't really feel like dropping thirty dollars on a half pound of pine nuts. Does anyone have any suggestions as to good nut substitutes I could try?

In most cheaper store bought pestos I've seen cashew is used instead of pine nuts. That works pretty well. Roasted hazelnuts might be good. Maybe sunflower seeds?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think crushed walnuts do the job just fine, rather than pine nuts.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I use walnuts or omit the nuts entirely.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Much obliged, gonna do a batch with walnuts and one with cashews. It'll be nice being able to do pesto without spending a ton on ingredients

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Anyone have a good meatball recipe? I have 1lb ground beef and I read somewhere that adding pureed onion and garlic can help with texture but I have no measurements of how much to use, ideas of what else to add, etc.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Hazelnuts are super cheap in Oregon so that's what I usually use. Walnuts are good too. I've used peanuts, cashews, macadamias. I bet pistachios would be tasty.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KitConstantine posted:

Anyone have a good meatball recipe? I have 1lb ground beef and I read somewhere that adding pureed onion and garlic can help with texture but I have no measurements of how much to use, ideas of what else to add, etc.

Assuming you want an italian style meatball for spaghetti or subs, I use something similar to ATK's. If you want a swedish meatball I'm not sure if it's the way to go.

* 2 slices white sandwich bread (crusts discarded), torn into small cubes
* 1/2 cup buttermilk or 6 tablespoons plain yogurt thinned with 2 tablespoons sweet milk
* 3/4 pound ground beef chuck ( or 1 pound if omitting ground pork below)
* 1/4 pound ground pork (to be mixed with ground chuck)
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
* 1 large egg yolk
* 1 small clove garlic , minced (1 teaspoon)
* 3/4 teaspoon table salt
* Ground black pepper
* Vegetable oil for pan-frying (about 1 1/4 cups)

1. For the meatballs: Combine bread and buttermilk in small bowl, mashing occasionally with fork, until smooth paste forms, about 10 minutes.
* 2. Mix all meatball ingredients, including bread mixture and pepper to taste in medium bowl. Lightly form 3 tablespoons of mixture into 1 1/2-inch round meatballs; repeat with remaining mixture to form approximately 14 meatballs. (Compacting them can make the meatballs dense and hard. Can be placed on large plate, covered loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for several hours.)
* 3. Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in large pot for cooking pasta.
* 4. Meanwhile, heat 1/4 -inch vegetable oil over medium-high heat in 10- or 11-inch sauté pan. When edge of meatball dipped in oil sizzles, add meatballs in single layer. Fry, turning several times, until nicely browned on all sides, about 10 minutes, regulating heat as needed to keep oil sizzling but not smoking. Transfer browned meatballs to paper towel--lined plate; set aside. Repeat, if necessary, with remaining meatballs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

juliuspringle posted:

How do I go about using cubed beef? Usually I use ground beef and dump it in the crockpot once it's browned but this year cost permitting I want to use chunks of meat if I can find out how to cook them. Tossing raw cubes of beef into the crockpot doesn't feel like it would cook safely to me.

Here is a chili recipe I got from goon, Iron Leg, years and years ago. I think this is the original recipe but I've changed it up a lot and it's always good. Some wording is his, some is mine. If anyone takes issue with it, remember it isn't my recipe but I have made it and it's delicious.

quote:

5 lbs cut beef
6 cups beef stock
1/2 cup olive oil
12 cloves garlic
3/4 bottle of beer (preferably a dark beer)
2 shots of tequila (100% agave, no Cuervo), you can substitute bourbon
2 shots of Backstrap Molasses
1/2 lb jalapenos
1 TB oregano
2 TB Cumin
1 ts cayenne
1/2 cup white flour
1/3 cup homemade chili powder

Brown the beef a little at a time, don't crowd the pot, until you get a nice dark brown color. Add all the beef back to the pot, reduce heat, add the flour and olive oil, cook it out for about 5 minutes. Add tequila, spices, molasses, beer and stock. Simmer for 5-6 hours. The beef will fall apart when done.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Assuming you want an italian style meatball for spaghetti or subs, I use something similar to ATK's.

Yeah, I like their basic recipe, though stuff like one small clove of garlic in a pound of meat is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I like their basic recipe, though stuff like one small clove of garlic in a pound of meat is a joke.

Unless your name is Julie or Brigette, go with at least 5 cloves since Christopher Kimball won't be tasting it.