Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

shadow puppet of a posted:

The robot gets really, really racist in the later preview eps.
That actually sounds kind of interesting (I'm assuming he's species-ist rather than racist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It felt like an episode of TNG where everyone is downright unprofessional, but in a funny way, not a cringy "the naked now" way.

It also gave off a really strong galaxy quest vibe.

I liked it a lot.

The only joke I didn't like is the "I'm gonna pee and look up a word but not in that order!" one, that was just pointless. Otherwise the helmsman was ok and I hope they don't try to up his game throughout the season.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

WhiteHowler posted:

That actually sounds kind of interesting (I'm assuming he's species-ist rather than racist).

Yeah probably, but he could be species-ist in a way that really cuts close to the bone for a TV show. Imagine if his species-ism was "Well organic life sure does like eating fried chicken!"

Time will tell on that one

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
On reflection, I was smiling most of the time and happy to be watching something trekkish and reasonably competent so I'd have to say that was a thouroughly enjoyable hour spent.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The only joke I didn't like is the "I'm gonna pee and look up a word but not in that order!" one, that was just pointless. Otherwise the helmsman was ok and I hope they don't try to up his game throughout the season.

Eh, it wasn't Laugh Out Loud but felt realistic enough for that awkward conversation.

I know you said you liked it a lot.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

All I want out of The Orville is for it to eat STD's lunch simply because its not a dumbass subscription service and as a result for the few dozen Star Trek decision makers responsible for the series never being able to get out of Spocky prequels to lose their jobs and feel ashamed of themselves.

So yeah I guess I'll be watching again next week. But I doubt I'll ever cosplay as a Krill or anything.

5/10 show rating.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Expecting professionalism in a post-scarcity world always seemed kind of impossible in my brain for Star Trek. Most of your citizens I'd imagine would spend all day on their version of the internet or screwing around in holosuites so it's kind of refreshing to see that translated into the down to earth less serious attitudes in Trek The Orville.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I didn't really care much for the helmsbro. They could cut out the crass jokes, but leave the others in, and it would be so much better.
Other than that, I really liked it. It feels so much like TNG in a lot of ways. Things like the orchestral music, plot and even details on the ship. They even have the bridge on top and it has a sunroof. They have the token alien character to play humanity off of, robot guy. There was even a one-liner when they defeated the aliens. "Happy Arbor day" is so much better than the eyerolling suggestion afterward. I'm hoping they're going to reveal that people are professional on other ships and it's just this ship that is so unprofessional at everything. That'd be kinda neat to show that it's not just how the show is, but it's because the Orville is crewed by mostly bottom of the barrel people. Maybe provide some room for them to grow as well.
I'm interested to see where the rest of the season goes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

vermin posted:

Expecting professionalism in a post-scarcity world always seemed kind of impossible in my brain for Star Trek. Most of your citizens I'd imagine would spend all day on their version of the internet or screwing around in holosuites so it's kind of refreshing to see that translated into the down to earth less serious attitudes in Trek The Orville.

The unprofessionalism is a great source of jokes in my opinion. I'd love to have seen someone casually aging some wine with that time device.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Nullsmack posted:

I'm hoping they're going to reveal that people are professional on other ships and it's just this ship that is so unprofessional at everything. That'd be kinda neat to show that it's not just how the show is, but it's because the Orville is crewed by mostly bottom of the barrel people. Maybe provide some room for them to grow as well.
I'm interested to see where the rest of the season goes.

Yeah I get the impression that it's the Orville that's not the norm. If Kelly had to beg higher ups to throw away a ship on her ex husband then they'd probably give him the same caliber of ship as the sub from Down Periscope. I meant to say it's refreshing to see that scrubs and washouts still exist in...uh...Starfleet? What's the name of their nation/navy?

Imagine a ship full of Barclays.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Space Down Periscope would be my favorite show and I hope that's what this has become by season's end.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I do wish fewer of the jokes were literally balls and penis because as it stands I can't see recommending it to my parents.

Shhh the cool kids are talking, nerd.

Thanks for the heads up by the way, we're definitely going to need to preview it before watching with the kids.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

All I want out of The Orville is for it to eat STD's lunch simply because its not a dumbass subscription service and as a result for the few dozen Star Trek decision makers responsible for the series never being able to get out of Spocky prequels to lose their jobs and feel ashamed of themselves.

So yeah I guess I'll be watching again next week. But I doubt I'll ever cosplay as a Krill or anything.

5/10 show rating.

Unless CBS has their heads up their asses in a "only America matters" way that's never going to happen. Discovery is on Netflix everywhere else in the world (apart from Canada maybe?) while I had to find a PirateBay proxy that works in my country to watch this.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Thanks for the heads up by the way, we're definitely going to need to preview it before watching with the kids.

It may be the best Star Trek we've had in close to 20 years, but it's still written by Seth MacFarlane.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I found myself liking it more and more as it went on. By the time they were escaping the station I was definitely enjoying it. I think with time it could end up being good, really wanna see the cast fleshed out since a few of them come off a bit like caricatures so far.

I'll stick with it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Really enjoyed it. It felt like Star Trek, and the perfect world of Trek exists, but what happens when they run out of people and begin digging from the bottom of the barrel. You end up with crew members making sex jokes, being slobs, and a mix of people taking everything seriously. Star Trek everyone was perfect because their positions demanded it, but these people in Orville had to exist they just never were allowed near a ship. I dig it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Laffo if STD pilot has a shuttle zipping in and out of those saucer gaps as a strategic move. Gonna look pretty pathetic now

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheScott2K posted:

Space Down Periscope would be my favorite show and I hope that's what this has become by season's end.

I agree 100%.

...poo poo, can you imagine if they had Kelsey Grammar show up as a crusty old admiral? That would be loving killer.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

vermin posted:

Picking nits here, but we don't know that Orville is a post-scarcity society. For all we know those ships and skyscrapers were built by minimum wage workers or slave labor.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly the part that worries me the most is Brannon Braga being attached, once I saw his name pop up I really almost turned it off

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

It may be the best Star Trek we've had in close to 20 years, but it's still written by Seth MacFarlane.

Don't get me wrong, the banter and joking about dog balls and penis drawings felt real and relatable enough but it just narrows the audience for the show.

Just like in Kingsman. I would recommend that movie to certain people that would be OK with the over the top violence but the one dumb, graphic joke about buttsex at the end narrows that audience.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Will Roger the Alien show up?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ohtsam posted:

Thats quite a split

Trek fans are hella thirsty

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Trek fans are hella thirsty

Yep. Also they've seen one episode and the reviewers saw the whole season.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
The only joke I honestly didn't like was the "did you see the dog licking his balls?" line. It was funny when the dog was licking his balls, I don't think anyone should have actually commented on it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They've apparently seen three episodes?

Either way, I often enjoy things reviewers hate and in this case they all seemed to have various preconceptions that weren't lived up to but were probably unfair.

The show can be way less good than TNG and it might not be a generational cultural touchstone, but still well worth watching.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They saw the first three actually.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Forbes has a dissenting opinion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/09/10/the-critics-must-be-crazy-the-orville-is-a-delightful-homage-to-the-original-star-trek/

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

The Bloop posted:

Just like in Kingsman. I would recommend that movie to certain people that would be OK with the over the top violence but the one dumb, graphic joke about buttsex at the end narrows that audience.

I had no problem with the violence or buttsex, just the lovely politics and class issues.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Maelstache posted:

I had no problem with the violence or buttsex, just the lovely politics and class issues.

Sure but again that's a different issue. I mentioned the graphic sex joke because it was alone and out of place and (I think) a mistake, however small, that has kept others from seeing their franchise.

I think the dog balls thing is the same, albeit less so.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I normally pretty much agree with critics but this show in no way deserves an 11 on RT or a 34 on Metacritic. Or if it does because the other two episodes they saw suck, I can't imagine how bad they are to get the score this low after a good first episode.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

quote:

Of course, the reason many critics hate The Orville is MacFarlane himself...

100% this. Critics hate McFarlane. I'm sure most of them had their bad reviews written before they even watched their screeners.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Koirhor posted:

Honestly the part that worries me the most is Brannon Braga being attached, once I saw his name pop up I really almost turned it off

That rear end in a top hat should be banned from the writers guild and have both hands smashed to be sure

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LividLiquid posted:

It really didn't help that literally every joke was in a trailer, but I thought it was fine. Give it a couple seasons to grow its beard.

Shows don't get a couple seasons to get good in the age of Peak TV. Not unless they're a Marvel branded show, anyway.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

R-Type posted:

That rear end in a top hat should be banned from the writers guild and have both hands smashed to be sure

Braga is a really uneven writer. He's written gems like Fistful of Datas and All Good Things, and also diarrhea soup like Sub Rosa and Threshold.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Argyle posted:

100% this. Critics hate McFarlane. I'm sure most of them had their bad reviews written before they even watched their screeners.

Don't pretend that a lot of the show's audience weren't doing the same thing in the opposite direction, though. As soon as the negative reviews started dropping, this thread (and the Star Trek thread too) were full of people trying to poke holes in them even though no one had actually seen the pilot yet.

I didn't hate the pilot so I'm not trying to say that it's terrible and deserves to be at ~20% on RT, but after watching it I could definitely see the flaws that most reviewers zeroed in on. It's not really a reviewer's job to say that a show has potential or whatever if they felt that the three episodes they watched weren't very good.

Gynovore posted:

Braga is a really uneven writer. He's written gems like Fistful of Datas and All Good Things, and also diarrhea soup like Sub Rosa and Threshold.

:thunk:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paradoxish posted:

Don't pretend that a lot of the show's audience weren't doing the same thing in the opposite direction, though. As soon as the negative reviews started dropping, this thread (and the Star Trek thread too) were full of people trying to poke holes in them even though no one had actually seen the pilot yet.

I didn't hate the pilot so I'm not trying to say that it's terrible and deserves to be at ~20% on RT, but after watching it I could definitely see the flaws that most reviewers zeroed in on. It's not really a reviewer's job to say that a show has potential or whatever if they felt that the three episodes they watched weren't very good.

:thunk:

Vamoose ya varmint!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

diarrhea soup

Tomato Bisque!

Unironic MacFarlane jokes ITT

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

At least the joke was from back when he was still involved with the show and it was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
I watched it having dinner at my pop's house and it totally brought back the vibe of watching TNG together as a kid. It's not """prestige TV""" but does everything have to be? It's perfectly fine for what it is and Star Trek has always had its share of groaner lines. If some of those are fart jokes now it's no big deal to me. Give this show a 7 season run of mediocrity and all of Discovery's budget right now, thanks.