Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

I watched it having dinner at my pop's house and it totally brought back the vibe of watching TNG together as a kid. It's not """prestige TV""" but does everything have to be? It's perfectly fine for what it is and Star Trek has always had its share of groaner lines. If some of those are fart jokes now it's no big deal to me. Give this show a 7 season run of mediocrity and all of Discovery's budget right now, thanks.

Not-Worf and racist robot sold me on this. Thanks to Bender and Iron Giant I have a soft spot for robots in Sci Fi.
Edit: also HK-47. Please make him slightly homocidal show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I enjoyed the hell out of that. Yes, the jokes felt weak, and it shows they were basically all in the trailers, but the more Trek stuff was good. It all looks fantastic (I love the cycling red lights on the ceiling for red alert), the soundtrack is gorgeous, and it's got a lot of potential.

Macfarlane and Palecki showed some decent chemistry, with a very believable back and forth in their 'we no longer need to fear the banana' bit. It worked in a 'ah, yeah, I see why you were married' way.

I have quibbles, like Scott Grimes's character. He's too much, even for this laid-back crew. Mercer wants a tight, well-run ship, so he brings his drunk jerk friend along. Maybe there'll be an arc later on to make him a bit more professional?

And I really hope they give the navigator some more character (I'm still learning names). The soda beat was a nice, well-written, human touch, but I still don't know jack about him. Also, I'm not crazy about them sitting commenting on everything like a drat Greek chorus.

Suffice to say though, I'm looking forward to seeing more episodes, now all the trailer stuff is out the way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also IO9 has a hardon against the show and is going out of their way to write article after article proving it sucks--so therefore you know it in fact does not suck.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

First episode was basically what I was expecting, generally acceptable with a few too many bad dick/butt/fluid/etc jokes. Now to see if they can maintain even that level of quality.

It's still a show that's going to last only a single season though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The_Doctor posted:

I have quibbles, like Scott Grimes's character. He's too much, even for this laid-back crew. Mercer wants a tight, well-run ship, so he brings his drunk jerk friend along. Maybe there'll be an arc later on to make him a bit more professional?

See, I liked that he brought him along. He seems like exactly the guy you'd bring along for this. He's apparently an amazing pilot, and he's probably his best friend. I can see why people wouldn't like it, but to me it makes sense.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I have hopes for this. The pilot was underwhelming, but it's a pilot so I won't cast any judgements yet.

It's super pretty. There is a ton of CGI going on and I kinda have a feeling that in the end the cost of that is what's going to make fox kill it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sammus posted:

I have hopes for this. The pilot was underwhelming, but it's a pilot so I won't cast any judgements yet.

It's super pretty. There is a ton of CGI going on and I kinda have a feeling that in the end the cost of that is what's going to make fox kill it.

Maybe once the network starts tightening the purse strings we'll get some decent sci-fi courtroom episodes and classic bottle stories. :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
CGI is probably cheaper than building sets.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Can't anyone "write" for Forbes? That's not their official TV critic or anything, it's just some guy, like anyone in this thread.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Comrade Fakename posted:

it's just some guy, like anyone in this thread.

kind of like most every critic ever

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Oh my stars, this is literally Star Trek.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cojawfee posted:

CGI is probably cheaper than building sets.

Especially the TV quality CG they were using.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Seth MacFarlane is having the time of his fanboy life.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Caught this a few hours ago. While the humor wasn't gut-busting some of it got me to chuckle. I think if some of the gags were delivered without comment (someone earlier mentioned the dog during the transmission) they'd land for me a lot better.

I will say that the post-commercial shot of the ship at "warp" elicited some major Trek nostalgia for me. Super strong girl is also adorable, and now that I think about it, I can't remember any of the characters names.

I think I like this more than Enterprise though. I hated Enterprise; all the characters were just so uninteresting.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 12, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

seaborgium posted:

See, I liked that he brought him along. He seems like exactly the guy you'd bring along for this. He's apparently an amazing pilot, and he's probably his best friend. I can see why people wouldn't like it, but to me it makes sense.

Also probably a nod / homage to the James Kirk / Gary Mitchell relationship in Where No Man Has Gone Before, lets just hope they don't go to the edge of the galaxy and make him put on white contact lenses. :v:

It's good that Seth is respectful of his source material and he doesn't go too far with the send-ups. Also cool that he took the pains to point out that starships DO have bathrooms.

I still think the bad guy aliens looked too much like Jem'hadar though.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I liked it well enough, but god drat Seth MacFarlane is not a strong leading man. I get that this whole project is mostly for him to wank off in the star trek universe, but still, there must have been a better actor who could have taken the role.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's probably why its an ensemble show. The ex wife character and helmsmen are probably supposed to help take up some of the slack.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of people bashing critics.

If you were to judge this show as a comedy, it completely fails in the pilot. Many jokes fall flat.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

xerxus posted:

There's a lot of people bashing critics.

If you were to judge this show as a comedy, it completely fails in the pilot. Many jokes fall flat.

I agree. The critics didn't have to be expecting Family Guy in Space or even Anything from MacFarlane in Space to feel let down if they were expecting it to primarily be a comedy. Clearly it neither is nor is intended to be, and MacFarlane himself said so. The trailers, I think, are to be blamed more than anything (even more than it being from MacFarlane), and that's obviously on Fox. What most of us were hoping turned out to be true: there isn't nearly the emphasis on comedy (raunchy or otherwise) that the trailers implied.

What I'm saying is that Fox will find a way to destroy this show come hell or high water. :(

vvv: Oh man don't get my hopes up...

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 12, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Would not be surprised if Netflix or Amazon made MacFarlane an offer when FOX inevitably pretends they never even ordered the first season in the first place.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That's probably why its an ensemble show. The ex wife character and helmsmen are probably supposed to help take up some of the slack.
Oh well that's bad loving news.

Ex wife seems... maybe okay? I have no idea who she is besides "ex wife," but her fleeting moments as a real person seemed fine.

Most of the aliens seem interesting though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Would not be surprised if Netflix or Amazon made MacFarlane an offer when FOX inevitably pretends they never even ordered the first season in the first place.

"How are the ratings on gently caress Island?"
"Uh, what?"
"gently caress Island, the show I have running at 8 on Sundays."
"We don't have that show, we are running something called The Orville"
"MAAAACFAAAARLAAAAAAAAAANE!"

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I liked it. I'm glad it wasn't over the top cut-aways and poo poo, but is actually trying to be a scifi show that is also funny. I would have gotten really tired of family guy in space almost immediately.

I would like to point out how incredibly dark the death of the scientist was, which i don't think any of the writers considered. In the show it was just a throw away moment hailing back to a TOS special effect, she was dead in moments, but think about it from the scientist's point of view. Her head is suddenly trapped in a time bubble in which she lives for SIXTY YEARS (or something, i can't remember the exact age they said she was at the end), not being able to do anything but slowly go insane or possibly starve to death staring up at the bright light of her own time bubble device.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't think the captain can portray any gravitas, and making a TV show and casting yourself as the main character seems a little off-putting.

The dog joke would have been funnier if they hadn't explained it.

I think the heavy-cruisers they mentioned would be the equivalent of the Enterprise ncc-1701. This little ship is the equivalent of the ships that get found with everyone dead or get blown up at Wolf-359. This is an interesting perspective, but they have to get us to care about the characters, and I'm not sure they can do it.

I hope they can.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Gawain The Blind posted:

I would like to point out how incredibly dark the death of the scientist was, which i don't think any of the writers considered. In the show it was just a throw away moment hailing back to a TOS special effect, she was dead in moments, but think about it from the scientist's point of view. Her head is suddenly trapped in a time bubble in which she lives for SIXTY YEARS (or something, i can't remember the exact age they said she was at the end), not being able to do anything but slowly go insane or possibly starve to death staring up at the bright light of her own time bubble device.

Actually she would have been dead right quick once her brain ran out of oxygen and/or glucose...

:goonsay:

...but yeah I get your point and agree. I was pretty surprised at how visceral it was.

Beachcomber posted:

The dog joke would have been funnier if they hadn't explained it.

This. Jesus, just leave it there and let us have a little chuckle. If they had to reference it onscreen the helmsman's response could have been a simple "yeah-UP yes I did" look or something and been a lot funnier. Better yet let the apish, oafish helmsman ask and the navigator make some kind of nuanced response, or... well god, there are so many ways that could have been done better.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I'm sold on this show. It's got some flaws, but the characters (even Seth) are solid enough as people way more real than TOS/TNG characters ever were. I think I'm in love with Adrianne Palicki already.

I'm hoping there's at least one "Halston Sage throws poo poo at the fuckin' dome" moment regularly.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm hoping Norm McDonald is the Guinan.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Caught this tonight on Hulu. The acting says sitcom, and the CGI and design says Fifth Element. OK, the acting kind of says Fifth Element too now that I think about it.

But I'm in for a while. The premise will keep me going; it seems like it has potential.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 12, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Finally got around to watching this.

That was Star Trek, all the way through. Most of the dick jokes were inconsequential, and honestly I laughed pretty hard at the one about Lt. Brosef Helmsdouche having an affinity for drawing dicks on displays.

I have hope for television science fiction now.

e: I kind of found the "Greek chorus", as The_Doctor put it, clever in a possibly unintended way. At least three of the people on the bridge crew other than Mercer and Grayson are just trying to not gently caress up (well, Mercer as well, but of the chorus, it's Helmsdouche, Soda Navigator, and Alara, who is one of the only characters whose name I remember). The other two are Racist Data and Teal'c Expy, the former of whom doesn't get what's going on and the latter gets what's going on and wants no part of it. I like that dynamic.

e2: Oh right the doc was on the bridge for a few scenes as well. I suspect she'll get her office in sickbay though and most of her non-landing party scenes will be from there. Or Mercer's room when he eventually decides to try therapy.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 12, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

So, you loved it?

I can't figure out how else to interpret this post since Fifth Element is like the very best B movie ever ever

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm hoping Norm McDonald is the Guinan.

He was the blob McFarlane ran through.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

He was the blob McFarlane ran through.

Are you aware of who Guinan is?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

So, you loved it?

I can't figure out how else to interpret this post since Fifth Element is like the very best B movie ever ever

Well... I don't love the Fifth Element, but I don't hate it. And it's not boring, I mean; it's enjoyable in its own way. But I do wish it were juuust a bit further from silly, which is where I find myself with this too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kazinsal posted:

e: I kind of found the "Greek chorus", as The_Doctor put it, clever in a possibly unintended way. At least three of the people on the bridge crew other than Mercer and Grayson are just trying to not gently caress up (well, Mercer as well, but of the chorus, it's Helmsdouche, Soda Navigator, and Alara, who is one of the only characters whose name I remember). The other two are Racist Data and Teal'c Expy, the former of whom doesn't get what's going on and the latter gets what's going on and wants no part of it. I like that dynamic.

Yeah, it was your basic office gossip and aknowledging that they have these two-person video calls in a room full of people.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

When Gordon chopped the Ogres head off was that Patrick Stewart doing the "you win"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The incongruity of the ogre personality was one of my favorite jokes. We got just enough of it to be funny without overstaying its welcome.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
The tree blowing up the starship at the end of the episode was absolutely loving hilarious and wouldn't have worked if the show weren't being played as straight as it is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The tree blowing up the starship at the end of the episode was absolutely loving hilarious and wouldn't have worked if the show weren't being played as straight as it is.

Seemed like something from Seth's DnD game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not that that's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he got the tree idea from "Datalore" when Lore suggests beaming a tree out and then destroying it with the phasers as a sign of strength against the crystaline entity.