Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I like the Climb On lotion bar. Keeps your hands soft but maintains your calluses better than regular hand cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Adam Ondra climbed a 9c. What a beast.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

dex_sda posted:

Adam Ondra climbed a 9c. What a beast.

Yeah it's pretty sick.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I climbed a couple times 2-3 years ago, and have since gotten super out of shape and overweight. I keep wanting to go to the gym and climb, but haven't had anyone to go with. I've since moved to a new state and have a new, very supportive partner, and got to go climb with her siblings today at their gym. I think I might join and start going regularly.

I flew up a few 5.5s and got about 90% up a 5.6 before my grip was just done for the day. I'm a little embarrassed to feel proud about that, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere :shobon:

I figure I'll try on shoes at REI/the gym, but what's the best way to pick up a harness? Same thing? Try on at REI/gym and look for deals online?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A buddy and I did a pretty legit 1000' day yesterday climbing:

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-brown-palace/106504214
https://www.mountainproject.com/v/maternal-damnation/106254632
https://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-broadmoor/106742406 (with the stanley hotel finish)
https://www.mountainproject.com/v/wiggle-room/106865120

My feet were hurting at the end and my finger tips are feeling it a bit today. It was a good day.

COOL CORN posted:

I figure I'll try on shoes at REI/the gym, but what's the best way to pick up a harness? Same thing? Try on at REI/gym and look for deals online?

That will work fine. Ideally they have a rope you can hang from to make sure it feels good.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

spwrozek posted:

That will work fine. Ideally they have a rope you can hang from to make sure it feels good.
As stated if your REI isn't poo poo, they should have no problems with you trying the display/demo on for fit and ball-hauling you 3 feet up a 'wall' so you can test the fit under weight. Try to avoid buying or opening one off the rack for fit as those cannot be put back/returned.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

I climbed a couple times 2-3 years ago, and have since gotten super out of shape and overweight. I keep wanting to go to the gym and climb, but haven't had anyone to go with. I've since moved to a new state and have a new, very supportive partner, and got to go climb with her siblings today at their gym. I think I might join and start going regularly.

I flew up a few 5.5s and got about 90% up a 5.6 before my grip was just done for the day. I'm a little embarrassed to feel proud about that, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere :shobon:

We can go shoe shopping sometime at the REI or the gym itself. Also Evolv is going to have a shoe demo at the Rockville gym tomorrow with 20% off skies that day if you want to try different shoes out.

Finally I'm pretty sure I have smaller feet than you but if you're close to a 7 I have a pair or two you can have it they work for you. :3: Only caveat is that I don't have much time to climb with you two until I finish my move next week or after that.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I did a climbing thing over the weekend. Went on an adaptive climbing trip to the Mississippi Palisades State Park (outside of Savanna, IL). Got to meet some really cool folks and try out some adaptive equipment as well as climb outside for the first time ever. Got to borrow a couple of climbing feet (one from two guys) so I could try climbing on real equipment this time instead of on regular walking feet which have way too much flex and just slip right off of the rock. I only got about 2/3 of the way up the easiest face but for me that's better than I've ever done so I'm happy with that. Anyway, here's some pics. Pardon my flabby goon self... working on fixing that. Now I just need to scrape up $500 to get myself my own set so I can start going to a climbing gym in Chicago.

Here's a video about the climbing foot by Evolv. (You might notice, Craig Demartino from the video is in the pic with me, super awesome guy who let me use his foot and had a lot of knowledge to share)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ilUBoCgAM

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That is super cool.

Anyone climbed in Nashville? I'm down here for a week for school and looking for a place, and might be moving down here in late December. The closest indoor place to where I'm staying right now is Climb Nashville West, is it decent?

And more long-term, what's the outdoor sport and bouldering scene like?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

That is super cool.

Anyone climbed in Nashville? I'm down here for a week for school and looking for a place, and might be moving down here in late December. The closest indoor place to where I'm staying right now is Climb Nashville West, is it decent?

chattanooga is the best place I've ever climbed. It's worth the few hours of driving.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
The Obed is also really good.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Rallos posted:

So I did a climbing thing over the weekend. Went on an adaptive climbing trip to the Mississippi Palisades State Park (outside of Savanna, IL). Got to meet some really cool folks and try out some adaptive equipment as well as climb outside for the first time ever. Got to borrow a couple of climbing feet (one from two guys) so I could try climbing on real equipment this time instead of on regular walking feet which have way too much flex and just slip right off of the rock. I only got about 2/3 of the way up the easiest face but for me that's better than I've ever done so I'm happy with that. Anyway, here's some pics. Pardon my flabby goon self... working on fixing that. Now I just need to scrape up $500 to get myself my own set so I can start going to a climbing gym in Chicago.

Here's a video about the climbing foot by Evolv. (You might notice, Craig Demartino from the video is in the pic with me, super awesome guy who let me use his foot and had a lot of knowledge to share)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ilUBoCgAM

That's super cool dude. Must be hard, I guess you have a fixed ankle? Also that rock looks fun to climb.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Rallos posted:

Agreed! Cool stuff. A question, do you get to choose your foot size? Is there an ideal foot size for climbing? Can you get an off size so that its easier to buy discount shoes?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

deong posted:

Agreed! Cool stuff. A question, do you get to choose your foot size? Is there an ideal foot size for climbing? Can you get an off size so that its easier to buy discount shoes?

Your questions are answered in the video he posted. Answers to your questions are: no, yes, no with the video explaining the whys in more detail.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 12, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man, that is awesome! I've heard of this guy who got into engineering purely so that he could build himself the ultimate climbing legs. Has a tiny-rear end rubber contact patch that can edge on the tiniest of flakes, he can extend them or shorten them to match beta on the route, and now crushes 14's like a joke.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
When I get my own climbing feet I have to figure out what length pylon that will work best for me, or I can have a few sets for different terrain. I had to use the ones off of my regular feet because I borrowed equipment from two different guys so theirs were different lengths. So because my walking feet are taller, I got about 4-5 inches shorter instantly. It's definitely weird to change that drastically in an instant. I'm debating going back to school to be a prosthetist so I can work on my own stuff.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

Ravenfood posted:

That is super cool.

Climb West is a great gym. One of my top 5 in North America. The closest sport climbing to Nashville is King's Bluff which is about 45 minutes west of town. The approach is easy, but the routes are pretty short (40 feet) and the easier ones (5.6-5.8) are rather polished.

People day trip to Obed, Foster Falls and Twall from Nashville Red River Goge isn't too far away but far enough you'll want to spend the night. I'm out of town until the 16th but if you are still around let me know and lets go to the gym.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rallos posted:

Great work man! We have paradox sports here in CO. They climb at my gym once a week or so. I really hope you get some climbing feet and are able to get on the plastic and out on the real rock often. You will find it is great to get you into shape as well if you are looking for that.

Also so cool to hang with Craig! if you haven't listened to his story you should (and so should everyone else): Craig's Enormo

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Rallos posted:

So I did a climbing thing over the weekend. Got to borrow a couple of climbing feet

This is brilliant. Good on you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sound_man posted:

Climb West is a great gym. One of my top 5 in North America. The closest sport climbing to Nashville is King's Bluff which is about 45 minutes west of town. The approach is easy, but the routes are pretty short (40 feet) and the easier ones (5.6-5.8) are rather polished.

People day trip to Obed, Foster Falls and Twall from Nashville Red River Goge isn't too far away but far enough you'll want to spend the night. I'm out of town until the 16th but if you are still around let me know and lets go to the gym.

Cool, thanks. I checked the gym out yesterday and had a good time. Unfortunately my flight out is early Fri so I can't go again this trip, but I'll be around two more times this semester. And if I move down here in late dec I'll be up for outdoor climbing whenever I can.

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007
Fosters and obed have some dope routes, would highly recommend.

If you can lead 5.11, I wouldn't miss tierrany wall at obed. It's a georgeous 90 foot rock face with a 30ft almost horizontal roof at the top. Permadraws on the roof, so you can try all you want without losing any gear.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 1, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been bouldering regularly for two months now, and I've gotten to around v4+ and v5- and it feels good.

The problems is I've also been losing weight in the meantime, which is affecting both my strength and my endurance levels. I feel like I gotta shed those extra pounds though to make climbing easier in general. After each session I end up having to fight the urge to devour a burrito and it's killing me. :(

Anyway, are powerballs useful at all? I got one, and it does make my forearms tired, but I'm just wondering if it's worth it if I already climb ~3 times a week.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is there a good site for finding trad climbing partners? Or is it basically like Meetup and your local gym? Also for finding climbs in the area?

edit -- nevermind, getting cams and nuts would be like $500+ :stonk:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 26, 2017

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

COOL CORN posted:

Is there a good site for finding trad climbing partners? Or is it basically like Meetup and your local gym? Also for finding climbs in the area?

edit -- nevermind, getting cams and nuts would be like $500+ :stonk:

This was a great post.

In all seriousness you can get on Mountain Project to find partners. Also you can get used cams and nuts from people on MP as well.

Also it sounds like you have never climbed trad? It is good to get a mentor and have them teach you.

P.S. I am not sure where I am sitting at for my rack cost but it has to be somewhere between $1500-2000. (don't get doubles or wide gear...)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Vegas was good last weekend as well. One day up on Mt Charleston, there is some crazy strong climbers up there. Second day in Red Rock, chasing the shade, we climbed Dark Shadows. Fun times all around.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

spwrozek posted:

Also it sounds like you have never climbed trad? It is good to get a mentor and have them teach you.

Sure yeah, I'm nowhere near fit enough / geared enough to make trad climbing worthwhile, was mostly just curious what's in my area. That link is great though, thanks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah man. MP is good stuff. You can surely find someone to get out with.

Also if you are just curious you could hit up a Craggin Classic at one of the trad locations (NRG, Moab, Devils Lake, Bishop)

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Sure yeah, I'm nowhere near fit enough / geared enough to make trad climbing worthwhile, was mostly just curious what's in my area. That link is great though, thanks.

Try the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club - I think they have a regular trad climbing session where an experienced leader takes you up Seneca Rocks. A climbing buddy of mine did it last year and says it was amazing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

chami posted:

Try the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club - I think they have a regular trad climbing session where an experienced leader takes you up Seneca Rocks. A climbing buddy of mine did it last year and says it was amazing.

Awesome thanks! I knew my good friend Chami would come through for me.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Finished off my summer by jumping a full fuckin' grade from 10c to 11c on lead, outdoors. Felt like I was climbing the thin edge of a razor, but goddamn. :woop:

Now to spend the rest of the warm months working my way past the terror that is 5.9 Trad, and finally get my anchoring placements dialled in there.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Got a full rack of DMM Dragon cams and looking to get micro cams to complement the rack. The smallest cam I got is a Blue #00 with range 13-21 mm.

Preferably the cams would have:
Same color scheme as DMM/BD/etc - Blue-White-Purple-Green-Red-Yellow repeating
Stoppers on the lobes to prevent an undercammed unit inverting/collapsing
Extendable slings
Narrow heads
Flexible stems

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Rime posted:

Finished off my summer by jumping a full fuckin' grade from 10c to 11c on lead, outdoors. Felt like I was climbing the thin edge of a razor, but goddamn. :woop:

Now to spend the rest of the warm months working my way past the terror that is 5.9 Trad, and finally get my anchoring placements dialled in there.

Ever heard of sendtember and rocktober? Get your rear end back out! The fall is the sending season.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Huge rock slide at El Cap today - 1 dead, 2 injured. drat it Alex, see what you've done, you've angered the mountain :argh:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

COOL CORN posted:

Huge rock slide at El Cap today - 1 dead, 2 injured. drat it Alex, see what you've done, you've angered the mountain :argh:

There was rock fall on Wednesday and Thursday, did even more fall today? I'm not finding anything in the news.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Rime posted:

If you were european you would be over the badass limit, as 5.11c is 7a. Congrats!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

armorer posted:

There was rock fall on Wednesday and Thursday, did even more fall today? I'm not finding anything in the news.

Oh, maybe the Thursday fall is what I saw on the news.

In other news, I sent a V2 for the first time, which I know is baby stuff, but it's progress for me :shobon:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

In other news, I sent a V2 for the first time, which I know is baby stuff, but it's progress for me :shobon:

Actually a baby would have a pretty hard time on a V2, too much head weight. Congrats to you too!

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

As long as you're climbing harder than you were last month, keep at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Ever heard of sendtember and rocktober? Get your rear end back out! The fall is the sending season.

Hell, Rocktoberfest at the RRG is next weekend. I'm looking forward to my first sport climbing comp and a workshop on 5.10s, 11,s and 12s.