Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, I'm probably kidding myself. I'll be in it to the bitter end, I'm a sucker for Evan Peters being an rear end in a top hat and he's in Full Dickhead Mode here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you watched freakshow and coven, you have seen much worse. The witch hunters ran some international company but they couldn't kill a house of witches? What? They could of blown up the house.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

TheBizzness posted:

Jesus the thread has gotten as bad as the show.

Most versions of this thread are bad. Its a tradition now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As always, we have been the real American horror story all along.

Tonight on American Horror Story: "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"

I don't know why I'm still doing these spoiler bars when most prestige shows aren't even trying to inform you what the episode is about any more. "[Character] encounters difficulties. [Other character] makes a choice."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

haveblue posted:

As always, we have been the real American horror story all along.

Tonight on American Horror Story: "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"

I don't know why I'm still doing these spoiler bars when most prestige shows aren't even trying to inform you what the episode is about any more. "[Character] encounters difficulties. [Other character] makes a choice."

Do people think AHS is a prestige show?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm bad with names. The Changs who died last week, was that just a random couple, or was it the couple where the wife had been too busy on Etsy to vote and the husband was on the city council?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm bad with names. The Changs who died last week, was that just a random couple, or was it the couple where the wife had been too busy on Etsy to vote and the husband was on the city council?

Yes. They got killed because he poo poo on evan peters

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Did no one watch this episode or is my awful app not showing me the new replies?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Another interesting episode.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Untrustable posted:

Did no one watch this episode or is my awful app not showing me the new replies?

I watched it while folding laundry. It has that screaming guy from the last few seasons of Parks and Rec in it and the ending was pretty funny.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
"I watched it while folding laundry" is probably the warmest reception this series has ever gotten. I recommend they put it in huge type on the back of the DVD case

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

lesbians, we're under attack! is my new favorite thing

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So far the moral seems to be that letting fear rule your life is bad. Also clowns.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hahaha the kid's name is Ozymandias.

I'm still enjoying this, it's like the battle of Facebook and Twitter extremes come to life, and some bits are genuinely chilling, like Billie Lourd's child-minding methods. And Evan Peters running for the council is reminding me of Dead Zone, which is a good thing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Billie Lourd is killing it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Perhaps a hamster posted:

^Trigger-warning scene was great and wonderfully OTT^

At first I thought they were being really sincere at the start, then slowly I started to realize their tongue was so far in their cheek it nearly put a hole through it and got what they were doing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

stone cold posted:

That's going to be a tough one to top.

In fact that will probably end up being the seasons high point.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I'm probably kidding myself. I'll be in it to the bitter end, I'm a sucker for Evan Peters being an rear end in a top hat and he's in Full Dickhead Mode here.

I'm giving this season a chance because it's taken all these extremes to even greater extremes and it's kind of fascinating in a way.

I like AHS taking wild shots at trying different things. Doesn't always work but then they can slam the reset button the following season, no problem. Coven was one of the worst storylines ever put on TV but unlike most shows it didn't ruin future seasons.*

* Randomly killing Queenie in Hotel was dumb as gently caress though because if you put that into context that means basically witches are real and there's a super powerful witch that runs Dr. Xavier's school for witches, and you just murdered one of their students that they all knew was going there. Hotel should have, by extension, logically ended when a bunch of angry Witches show up and burn the hotel / spirits out of existence in revenge, or at least try to. I mean that'd been dumb as gently caress but it was even dumber it didn't happen.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

If you watched freakshow and coven, you have seen much worse. The witch hunters ran some international company but they couldn't kill a house of witches? What? They could of blown up the house.

Coven vs Heroes Season 3 would be a really entertaining "which is worst" series, before the winner gets to face off with the finale season of Dexter

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Hahaha the kid's name is Ozymandias.

I laughed at that too. Glad they are continuing Hotel's trend of stupid Californian child names.

I also still think the season is pretty good so far, both in horror and comedy.

Loomer posted:

Billie Lourd is killing it.

Also true

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if 8 states really did lose power, or just their town? Is everything going to be normal in the morning?

Why does a little boy have a queen size bed? Is that a thing now? They aren't poor, so they probably didn't just give him a used bed that happened to be huge, they went out and bought a brand new bed. He was in a crib or toddler bed, and then transitioned right to multi-adult sized bed. Come on, if you're affluent get the kid a race car bed, what's wrong with you? He doesn't even get spiderman sheets or anything. Were they future proofing, so when he was old enough to start loving he wouldn't need to ask for a new bed or try to get to bonetown in a single?

How are they so affluent anyway? Inherited wealth? That house is crazy. There is a working fireplace in the bathroom. The little kid has a giant bedroom that easily accommodates his adult-size bed and has plenty of room for other furniture, and he has his own en suite bathroom. Their restaurant has a huge walk in freezer, and they keep several entire cows worth of sides of beef on hand at all times, even though a side of beef contains a bunch of cuts that aren't that great, is that normal? Their finances are all kinds of messed up too, they can call up workmen to install bars on all the doors and windows on a whim, but have to take out a second mortgage on the house to order replacement food.

Remember that they met in college and Ally was a basket case trying to win her true love, until Obama was elected and magically cured her anxiety. So they met maybe 9 years ago, while they were still in school. And now they have no savings but they own a huge restaurant and a huge house, and they are able to live very comfortably off the profits of their business.

I'm not sure Ally isn't hallucinating this whole thing.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I grew up in a queen or at least a full from 5 to around 13, and I was an only child in a middle class military family. So that's pretty normal in my experience. As for how ballin their house and business is, I have no idea. Maybe it will be explained when the titular cult is revealed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Victorkm posted:

I grew up in a queen or at least a full from 5 to around 13, and I was an only child in a middle class military family. So that's pretty normal in my experience. As for how ballin their house and business is, I have no idea. Maybe it will be explained when the titular cult is revealed.

I slept on a queen basically from high school onward and I still do (though now I have a fiancee to share it with!).

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

stone cold posted:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

kjetting posted:

I laughed at that too. Glad they are continuing Hotel's trend of stupid Californian child names.

They're in Michigan

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I was marveling at the layout of their house the whole episode. Facebook Aunt is right, their finances are bizarre.

The main problem with this season is that it's going to take 11 episodes to tell a story that could be told in 5 or 6. Arguably a problem AHS has had in the past, but we're going to see a lot of scenes of high tension with Ally, cautiously moving through a location only to find something horrifying she may or may not have seen.

The main appeal of this season is going to be all these goofy scenarios and one-liners that AHS is famous for. The married couple who wed because of a promise who love Nicole Kidman? Wonderful. And you need twice as many in a season that apparently limits its horror appeal to a gang of non-supernatural clowns.

The main moral as I see it so far, is that if you allow yourself to be consumed by your fears, you become the thing you hate the most. I mean, it was pretty blatant this episode, what with Ally putting gates on the windows, getting a gun, and then shooting a man that turned out to be the one they refused to fire because she was scared someone was at the door. It's actually a poignant point, what with people advocating attacking other people because they would seemingly advocate attacking others.

I actually have a theory that Ally voted for Trump. She was waiting to vote, then in the booth she panicked and bubbled in his name. She blames herself for his election and that's what triggered all this anxiety more than the election itself.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel like I'd be offended watching this both as a Republican and a Liberal

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if 8 states really did lose power, or just their town? Is everything going to be normal in the morning?

Why does a little boy have a queen size bed? Is that a thing now? They aren't poor, so they probably didn't just give him a used bed that happened to be huge, they went out and bought a brand new bed. He was in a crib or toddler bed, and then transitioned right to multi-adult sized bed. Come on, if you're affluent get the kid a race car bed, what's wrong with you? He doesn't even get spiderman sheets or anything. Were they future proofing, so when he was old enough to start loving he wouldn't need to ask for a new bed or try to get to bonetown in a single?

How are they so affluent anyway? Inherited wealth? That house is crazy. There is a working fireplace in the bathroom. The little kid has a giant bedroom that easily accommodates his adult-size bed and has plenty of room for other furniture, and he has his own en suite bathroom. Their restaurant has a huge walk in freezer, and they keep several entire cows worth of sides of beef on hand at all times, even though a side of beef contains a bunch of cuts that aren't that great, is that normal? Their finances are all kinds of messed up too, they can call up workmen to install bars on all the doors and windows on a whim, but have to take out a second mortgage on the house to order replacement food.

Remember that they met in college and Ally was a basket case trying to win her true love, until Obama was elected and magically cured her anxiety. So they met maybe 9 years ago, while they were still in school. And now they have no savings but they own a huge restaurant and a huge house, and they are able to live very comfortably off the profits of their business.

I'm not sure Ally isn't hallucinating this whole thing.

Also her wife is clearly 14 years old

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also in the news footage they show the couple next door as commentators about the Mexican beating or they actually filmed the Mexican beating.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

CODChimera posted:

That's going to be a tough one to top.

In fact that will probably end up being the seasons high point.

counterpoint: Halloween is always a buck wild episode

keep your fingers crossed

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

Also in the news footage they show the couple next door as commentators about the Mexican beating or they actually filmed the Mexican beating.

Yup, they're definitely in on things. Wouldn't be surprised if we see both of them in a clown costume before too long. (Hell, maybe we already have)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This show sucks and is bad and Alison Pill has a stupid Charlie Brown head and the only good thing about the episode was Billy Eichner.

God Bless.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Facebook Aunt posted:

" I had to take a second mortgage to afford this" isn't usually meant to be taken literally.

A restaurant would buy sides of beef for high tier stuff like wagyu since butchering it yourself can save like $8-10 dollars a pound but no restaurant is flush enough to have that much wagyu just hanging around waiting for something bad to happen. That stuff runs $5k a half.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I hate that AHS completely leans on Sarah Paulson. She's terrible. I would've liked this season so much better if we could have Denis O' Hare back in a main role, and Jessica Lange was still on board. No GaGa either? Shame. Also eagerly awaiting Frances Conroy's character. This show tends to have some cool imagery and good premises, and then completely fucks up the payoff. This time I'm not even 100% on board with the setup - the politics and clowns and poo poo feels like such pandering tripe.

Thinking back, Roanoke was probably the best season. It's still early yet, so I'm sticking it out. If I watched all of Weeds, True Blood, TWD... I can finish up this crap.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 14, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

a new study bible! posted:

This show sucks and is bad and Alison Pill has a stupid Charlie Brown head and the only good thing about the episode was Billy Eichner.

God Bless.

You shut your filthy mouth. Alison Pill is an angel.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

timp posted:

Yup, they're definitely in on things. Wouldn't be surprised if we see both of them in a clown costume before too long. (Hell, maybe we already have)

In the preview for the next episodes, the clowns attack them.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, I'm kinda hoping that with the way things are being so clearly telegraphed that it's just meant to mislead who the clowns really are. Like maybe Evan Peters is really just a xenophobic dickhead and not the ringleader of an evil clown cult? I mean have we even actually seen anyone lift up a clown mask to give a spooky reveal? It could be misdirection to have the couple who was helping Evan Peters frame the migrant workers move next door and for there to also be a clear clown couple? I don't know, it's my hope for that instead of it all being as cut and dry as it currently is. I mean, did anyone really have doubts that her having the gun wouldn't immediately lead into her misusing it? Also I get a feeling that the cop being played by Colton Haynes is in on whatever is going on as well because he's a hunk and his hair is platinum for no real reason.

And finally, that was just a super short cameo by Zack Ward...

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Firstborn posted:

I hate that AHS completely leans on Sarah Paulson. She's terrible. I would've liked this season so much better if we could have Denis O' Hare back in a main role, and Jessica Lange was still on board. No GaGa either? Shame. Also eagerly awaiting Frances Conroy's character. This show tends to have some cool imagery and good premises, and then completely fucks up the payoff. This time I'm not even 100% on board with the setup - the politics and clowns and poo poo feels like such pandering tripe.

Thinking back, Roanoke was probably the best season. It's still early yet, so I'm sticking it out. If I watched all of Weeds, True Blood, TWD... I can finish up this crap.

I don't hate Sarah Paulson, I just think the showrunners are leaning too much on always casting her as an emotional and self victimizing nervous wreck. Both Lange and Peters were also "stuck" in typecasting, with Peters always playing the mysterious heartthrob with a dark side and Lange playing a strong willed and manipulating leader, usually in a power struggle and simultaneously having to come to terms with her age.

While the show has become better at giving the actors new challenges, like Peters going from playing mister misunderstood to playing raving loony the last few seasons, I still think it would be a good idea if Murphy wrote the parts for the actors on cards and shuffled them before handing them out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

discworld is all I read posted:

And finally, that was just a super short cameo by Zack Ward...

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, Zack Ward is either the leading man in a Uwe Boll film or he's "Random Guy in the Background" or "Guy Who Dies Immediately After Having Two Lines of Dialogue".

He could easily be a good William Atherton rear end in a top hat-type character but he's always underused.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
The bathroom of Sarah Paulson's house is distractingly weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Dienes posted:

The bathroom of Sarah Paulson's house is distractingly weird.

Thread title.

• Locked thread