Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Do them corned beef brisket style, SV always made the best corned beef for me. Ruebens for days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Do them corned beef brisket style, SV always made the best corned beef for me. Ruebens for days!

I lost your address. What is it again?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pastrami? Corn it?

Bag with red child sauce, shred and use to make tamales. The best tamales you ever had.

The most gringo style teriyaki, hard char it after bagging with teriyaki sauce. Don't judge me.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We judge you not for your tamales or your teriyaki but for you use of child sauce :colbert:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am feeding literal children. Sue me. Lowest common deNOMinator.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Ultimate Mango posted:

I am feeding literal children.

We know. But to who? WHO ARE THESE MONSTERS?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

We know. But to who? WHO ARE THESE MONSTERS?

looks embarassed

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
For chicken this is easy as hell and very tasty: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/how-to-make-bang-ban-chicken-chinese-sichuan.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drat.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
my new favorite weeknight fast dinner is 149 degree chicken breast sliced over pho. couple of instant pho cubes in chicken stock with a little hoisin and Sriracha, banh pho and spring onions/cilantro/Thai basil/bean sprouts. lime juice and sea salt on the sliced chicken. no need to sear the chicken. so good

i don't mind making the soup from scratch on weekends but the payoff/time doing it this way is awesome.

large hands fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 12, 2017

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

No lies, I would eat the hell out of that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Pho and that chicken are awesome.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
God what is with you loving white people and chicken breast

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't be the only one that cooks chicken breast and just eats them off a fork like a Popsicle.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

namaste faggots posted:

You have 2 left over after you eat the thighs and drumsticks.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

I'm basically enjoying them for the first time in my life since I got into SV. I use thighs for most other things but the breasts slice nice and thin and are perfect on top of a bowl of noodles.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
When you buy a chikken you get two breasts which are easy to gently caress up and sous vide does it perfectly hth

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

When you buy a chikken you get two breasts

Yes

quote:

which are easy to gently caress up

No

quote:

and sous vide does it perfectly hth

Sure

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

http://deals.kinja.com/the-bluetooth-connected-instant-pot-can-also-sous-vide-1818471549

quote:

The Bluetooth-Connected Instant Pot Can Also Sous-Vide, and It's Never Been Cheaper

The Instant Pot won’t circulate your water, so you’d likely have a few degrees of temperature variation between the top and the bottom of the pot, but that’s not the end of the world for most cuts of meat, and you could always give it a quick stir yourself.

yes I will stir my pork shoulder periodically for 8 hours, or my chuck steak for 24 hours :psyduck:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just put your Anova in it, easy peasy.

That said, I started with a Sous Vide Supreme, which also doesn't circulate, and it was fine for what I did with it. Short ribs were the only long cook IIRC.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I got a mail from Anova that it is on offer in their EU shop if anyone needs one. 119 € for the PC WiFi.

Edit to clarify....too early to post

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 17, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

http://deals.kinja.com/the-bluetooth-connected-instant-pot-can-also-sous-vide-1818471549

yes I will stir my pork shoulder periodically for 8 hours, or my chuck steak for 24 hours :psyduck:
It's basically 6 litres of water on a hot plate. Assuming the PID or whatever can approximately hold the temperature you want (I don't have one so I have no idea) you don't need to stir the drat thing.

The real argument against using something like the Instant Pot as a makeshift puddle machine is that it's so loving small---it's probably fine for doing a couple hundred grams of protein, but nothing much larger. The footprint is also a little awkward for handling bags of vac sealed poo poo.

But ICs being ICs is overkill for most poo poo most people are going to want a home s-v machine for. And they're designed the way they are not because of some keen insight into the underlying engineering problem or whatever, but because the consumer-grade ICs are just copies of things that were designed for lab work (with some largely cosmetic and interface changes). It's like if pressure cookers didn't exist and then someone discovered you could cook things in an autoclave and then all the sudden there are a dozen kickstarter campaigns for bluetooth-enabled full-size medical autoclaves for the home kitchen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of y'all ever buy one of those hinged lids with an Anova hole cut out on one side? Made for Rubbermaid containers?

Cuz I got one just today. Will report back...

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
So I think my first gen Anova finally died last night- over the past few months it'd just randomly turn off mid-cook and I'd have to jiggle the power cord to get it to turn back on, so I was limited to shorter cooks and had to keep a pretty close eye on it.

I'm going to reach out to Anova customer support and hopefully they'll hook me up with a discount on a new one, but I wanted to see what current thinking was on bluetooth vs. wifi, Anova vs. Joule vs. ????, etc.

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

No physical controls on the Joule made the decision for me to go Anova. I never use the app.

WiFi didn't seem worth the extra cost to me, but the extra power on that would heat up the water a bit faster. I usually just us an electric kettle to speed it up anyways.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Veritek83 posted:

So I think my first gen Anova finally died last night- over the past few months it'd just randomly turn off mid-cook and I'd have to jiggle the power cord to get it to turn back on, so I was limited to shorter cooks and had to keep a pretty close eye on it.

I'm going to reach out to Anova customer support and hopefully they'll hook me up with a discount on a new one, but I wanted to see what current thinking was on bluetooth vs. wifi, Anova vs. Joule vs. ????, etc.

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

I occasionally use wifi on mine, but mostly not. But I think the extra wattage might be worth it alone.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Joule is 100% the only choice if you ever want to SV pizza

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No the Anova does that too. Only if you plan to put pineapple on it the Anova's superior AI recognizes your disgusting failure and refuses to work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dacap posted:

but the extra power on that would heat up the water a bit faster

I'm not sure it's designed that way, but even if it were it would be immeasurably small.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not sure it's designed that way, but even if it were it would be immeasurably small.

I think that model is a bit more powerful as made, I don't think he means the additional power from lack of wifi would make a difference.

I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jay Carney posted:

I think that model is a bit more powerful as made, I don't think he means the additional power from lack of wifi would make a difference.

I think.

Oh, yeah, that would make much more sense.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Pineapple on Pizza is loving amazing especially if you pair with habanero. Get out of here with your delicious hatred

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jay Carney posted:

I think.

That is what I meant

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Off-brand cheap sous vide right now: $59 for a circulator.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZFMP5M

Use discount code RLEA8JVJ

I got this from Kinja Deals. Not sure if that's a discount code that gives them a commission, or if you need their special URL for that. If you have SERIOUS FEELINGS about that company then tread lightly I guess. If you want to give them credit, here's their full tracking link for the deal

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Sous vide duck breast is great, but I always find the skin could be improved a bit. I usually sous vide at 54C for 1.5-2 hours and then "sear" the skin at a low-medium ish (same as bacon) temperature. Unfortunately, the skin's usually still a little bit too chewy for my liking.

Is there some way I could improve this process without separating the skin? (That also doesn't involve liquid nitrogen, what the gently caress ChefSteps.) I was considering a longer 3-4 hour sous vide time to better render the fat, though I don't think 54C is enough to render duck skin fat that much.

e: I guess ChefSteps added a non-LN2 recipe since I last googled it -- I'll try a pre-sear and 57C instead of 54C.

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 3, 2017

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Jan posted:

Sous vide duck breast is great, but I always find the skin could be improved a bit. I usually sous vide at 54C for 1.5-2 hours and then "sear" the skin at a low-medium ish (same as bacon) temperature. Unfortunately, the skin's usually still a little bit too chewy for my liking.

Is there some way I could improve this process without separating the skin? (That also doesn't involve liquid nitrogen, what the gently caress ChefSteps.) I was considering a longer 3-4 hour sous vide time to better render the fat, though I don't think 54C is enough to render duck skin fat that much.

e: I guess ChefSteps added a non-LN2 recipe since I last googled it -- I'll try a pre-sear and 57C instead of 54C.

Seriously though. Try the LN2 recipe. Once you get over the mental hurdles of actually acquiring some and then actually working with it you can have a lot of tasty fun!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The fat on a duck breast is thick enough that I've found you can sear the poo poo out of it without really cooking the duck breast anymore than when it came out of the bag. Maybe just try higher heat?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What can you do with duck legs and SV?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Phanatic posted:

The fat on a duck breast is thick enough that I've found you can sear the poo poo out of it without really cooking the duck breast anymore than when it came out of the bag. Maybe just try higher heat?

It's not the breast cooking I'm worried about... The problem with that approach is that the inside does not have time to render before the outside goes past "crisp" and into "burnt" territory.

That said, 57C did have a lot more rendering action from just the sous vide, so I didn't have to leave it as long in the pan. Definitely will be sticking with that temp in the future, even if it ends up being a little more medium than rare.

E:

Didn't think to take a close up picture, ah well. Sauce is a base of maple syrup, hoisin and mustard to which I usually add a berry of some kind, blackcurrant this time.

My dad's not a big eater but ended up snacking on the extra breast, I'll take that as a good sign! :v:

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What can you do with duck legs and SV?

Confit?