Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
A manga called Knight s Tale. It's only got a handful of chapters and you'll know if you like it very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

i do rapier

hi

:madmax:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

:ese:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

Finally got back on the strip this week.

Foil's fun y'all. :kimchi:

So the other thing I wanted to say about that rapier video is that it looks a hell of a lot like epee. Have you ever tried epee?
and at least at scrub level where I am, there isn't much passivity bullshit so bouts are pretty aggressive and fun

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nope! We've been talking about it on the club since we advertise all three weapons, but hasn't happened yet. I'd love to try since the style of foil the elderly coach teaches has more in common with epee than modern foil.

Got dunked by a veteran epeeist at the club tournament on Tuesday. Didn't quite expect to eat counterattacks in opposition at foil.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Is it actually HISTORIC European Martial Arts if everyone is wearing power rangers armor (just like in the fechtbucts - amirite?)

I was under the impression the majority of dissonant opinions on the matter stems from the difference in what modern society deems 'acceptable' practicing injuries versus what they may have accommodated in the Renaissance. Admittedly I have not poured over every manuscript out there, but the most protective gear I've seen in any has usually been in the tail end of the Renaissance time period (and even then limited to padded vests/gloves and on rare occasion a mask of some sort).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I dunno, is it historical if people are doing smallsword in fencing masks and five-fingers? We know that in 18th century England people thought fencing masks were unmanly, and we know that affected how they practiced with their foils. For one, it's why the modern foil target still doesn't include the face. So losing an eye was more "acceptable" than losing your metaphorical face, but it was still "unacceptable" enough that they would make other compromises to avoid that. This article suggests that Spanish and Portugese fencers did the same, aiming their blows at the hat instead of the face.

Point being, we've made these tradeoffs for a long-rear end time, so drawing the line at "it looks like a cheap sci-fi" comes off a bit weird.

Besides which, Power Rangers don't wear more than a helmet and spandex anyway. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 11, 2017

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Siivola posted:

I dunno, is it historical if people are doing smallsword in fencing masks and five-fingers? We know that in 18th century England people thought fencing masks were unmanly, and we know that affected how they practiced with their foils. For one, it's why the modern foil target still doesn't include the face. So losing an eye was more "acceptable" than losing your metaphorical face, but it was still "unacceptable" enough that they would make other compromises to avoid that. This article suggests that Spanish and Portugese fencers did the same, aiming their blows at the hat instead of the face.

Point being, we've made these tradeoffs for a long-rear end time, so drawing the line at "it looks like a cheap sci-fi" comes off a bit weird.

Besides which, Power Rangers don't wear more than a helmet and spandex anyway. :v:

Well, I meant the new power rangers movie obviously....

Ultimately though we can't go back in time and ask/gather their opinions on why they wore the amount/type of protective gear that they did. Making an assumption that some derivation of protective gear is analogous and equivalent to however much protective gear we want to wear nowadays is seemingly innacurate when even with the limitations of the time they could have easily constructed an equivalent amount of protective gear as many HEMA practitioners wear today.

I guess it just makes more sense to me that if the gear really didn't hurt the learning of the art, they would have no reason to avoid it (and we would expect to see representations of it all over). The alternative seemingly has to be more in line with the assumption that there was a good reason they avoided most protective gear, and I believe its likely related to the efficacy of training therein. No way to prove it unfortunately, but I have an easier time stomaching the logic I just posited than a more complicated explanation.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

This article suggests that Spanish and Portugese fencers did the same, aiming their blows at the hat instead of the face.

interesting article posted:

He also included advice on when students should be allowed to fence freely, as opposed to controlled exercises: not too soon, he argues, but rather when they have learned well theory and practice –that is, when they have become dextros–, knowing the fundamentals of fencing and, at least at the beginning, always in presence of the Master, or even just fencing with the Master.

That to me, says that students spent a significant amount of time on basic exercises and then first fenced with the master before being allowed to fence each other.
I'm curious, how long before the average HEMA student is allowed to spar?

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That to me, says that students spent a significant amount of time on basic exercises and then first fenced with the master before being allowed to fence each other.

I don't think you can get a real average. My club starts on your 3rd or 4th session, with you mainly drilling before hand. A club I visited a couple of times in my University's town had a bunch of new people who came for a couple of months and had given up before they could spar. I sparred with them on my first night and then we didn't spar for a couple of months.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

ImplicitAssembler posted:

In our school we have new students complete 3 beginner courses before advancing them to intermediate, and then when we feel comfortable with them not throwing overly strong hits we let them spar with padded gekken swords. Once they start getting their own gear (or if people are willing to lend) we allow them to spar. I'm not entirely sure I'm ok with this method. So maybe a month before you're allowed to spar.

My roommate's school (JSA, not HEMA) has people sparring right out of the gate (with gekken), and they use it as a separation tool. First session they go super hard on you, and if you come back after your beat down then they go easy and teach you the ropes. I dislike this method as well, though they do produce on average good students who can both cut and fence. You're allowed to spar immediately.

There's a classical fencing school in NYC called Martinez Academy of Arms and they don't allow people to spar or free fence for quite some time, depending on their skill level. In the beginning you are performing drills solo or with the maestros. When they decide you're safe, they let you do paired drills with other students. When you prove you can do the drills safely and with decent form they let you spar with other students or the maestros. So maybe 1-2 months before you're allowed to spar.

edit: Also we are currently re-tooling our curriculum to make beginner more intensive and practice oriented. As it stands beginner is the basic cuts, basic footwork, basic body mechanics. Intermediate is everything else but full-gear, full-speed sparring and drilling.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 11, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

In my current kendo club, it takes about a year, although it is on the extreme side. Typically, you'd be looking at 3-6 months.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think it took me about a year, but my HEMA club's notoriously slow as well. And they expect you to pipe up about your wants, so people who would maybe like to try sparring have no idea what to do to actually get to the point where it's safe.

I think they're better about it nowadays, especially since they started teaching sabre and singlestick again. You can bout pretty soon with the stick. But I don't know for sure, I've been too busy with the foil.

DandyLion posted:

I guess it just makes more sense to me that if the gear really didn't hurt the learning of the art, they would have no reason to avoid it (and we would expect to see representations of it all over).
I would imagine "no stabs at the face" also hurt the learning of the art, so we're sort of at an impasse here. :shrug:

I don't mean this as a dig at you, it's just that I want to experience things first-hand. Doing Capoferro without actually aiming at the face would feel pretty hollow.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 11, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I'm kinda drunk and have forgotten, but did anyone mention that we can now open-carry swords in texas?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

I'm kinda drunk and have forgotten, but did anyone mention that we can now open-carry swords in texas?

It was funny seeing people go "lol Texas" as if carrying swords isn't a thing good looking normal people do on the reg.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

It was funny seeing people go "lol Texas" as if carrying swords isn't a thing good looking normal people do on the reg.
don't go outside without one, imho

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

This is my sword, and this is my bullocks dagger....

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

DandyLion posted:

The alternative seemingly has to be more in line with the assumption that there was a good reason they avoided most protective gear, and I believe its likely related to the efficacy of training therein.
:shrug:

The example given by Siivola above your post shows that they (at least in the specific geographic area/timeframe he specified) avoided protective gear due to questions of honour, not efficiency.

I guess the question you ask is a nice research topic.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 12, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

To be entirely honest, I couldn't actually find any actual reference for the "masks were unmanly/insult to the opponent" notion. For all I know it's just another thing people writing about the history of fencing like to parrot.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
This is a world where academic fencing exists

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Still, foil with sabre masks would be hella weird.

One day, I'd like to try out a silly-buggers match of sabre with just the mask as target. I call it "highlander". Of course, there would be no poules, everyone goes straight into single elimination. There can be only one...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I ran into this report of the 1908 Olympics that includes the rules used: http://library.la84.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1908/1908.pdf It's kinda weird how close the rules are to the modern FIE rulebook. Also, I didn't know right of way has its roots in sabre.

Speaking of weird experiments, all it would take to convert a Italian-style HEMA sabre to electric is a socket, soldering iron and some insulating tape...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Siivola posted:

I ran into this report of the 1908 Olympics that includes the rules used: http://library.la84.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1908/1908.pdf It's kinda weird how close the rules are to the modern FIE rulebook. Also, I didn't know right of way has its roots in sabre.

I'm not terribly surprised the rules are so familiar, it was only a few years later that the FIE was founded and the rules officially codified. Since then it's just been solving problems that arise and codifying conventions. It's funny, though, that even back then they were gnashing teeth about epee pommels.

Anyone know what the problem they had with foil was?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Anyone know what the problem they had with foil was?

Not really. I tried searching online, but that vague quote about it not being improved by competition is repeated everywhere.

Also, word is that the FIE is shelving the proposed epee changes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guess is, people fenced foil under wildly different rulesets in different places. The target area might be only half the torso instead of the whole trunk, and judges might score touches 1 to 3 points based on the quality, or they might divide 100 points between the contestants after the bout, or just vote for a winner because it's more about the skill shown than the touches. And that's just the AFLA in the 1890s! For instance, here's the 1901 rules.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 20, 2017

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I heard that the proposed epee rule change just got shelved. I think that what we currently have isn't so bad, but wonder still if any improvements can be made.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5JrvejDft4
Epee.m4v

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Siivola posted:

well they're an SCA nerd

:v:

Ugh. I get so cranky with SCA people who poo poo things up. (Probably because I'm an SCA person and enjoy chatting with not-SCA sword folks.)

People in the SCA like playing with swords while wearing doublets or whatever. People in HEMA schools or WMA groups or whatever like playing with swords while not wearing doublets. How is this a difficult thing to handle?

But poo poo, now I need to move to Texas so I can go to a Wal-Mart with my sword. I think that's really the most important thing here.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Well, there are some very fine people on both sides.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That was a tad petty of me, sorry.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
If anyone has run into clubmates having issues holding high guards, I made this quick video with some ideas to help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR7IxQMBIrc

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh snap, I have a problem with my hand drifting downwards. In foil. Guess I should go lift some weights.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Fence epee for a few weeks, it'll teach you real quick to keep your bell up.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Neon Belly posted:

Fence epee for a few weeks, it'll teach you real quick to keep your bell up.

Also if you bell end is up for more than 4 hours, seek a Dr.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I got an officials email about the NAC next weekend, and it's got some numbers. The biggest event is, of course, Div1 Men's Epee at 327 fencers and starts the first day at 2. Aside from ME, most are around 200 with some dipping below 150.

At least Epee is going to be fenced in a 2-day format (see page 4). It looks different than the one they tested last season, but I wasn't at Detroit and might be wrong. Still, I'm not a fan of dragging these across 2 days. There's a "Day 2 Division 1 Classification Event" for those that didn't make the cut to day 2, which is a consolation prize to the 215 fencers that had to book/plan on an extra night. What's really dumb is that 14 fencers that make it to Day 2 are eliminated before the final round of DE's. Still, it beats repchage.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I just fixed my body cord now my blade wire's hosed :negative:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Completed my Bolognese beginners course last week and I'm aching to get enough kit together to properly spar. Sadly I can't fit a Red Dragon (I know they aren't the best possible ones but they were immediately availible) glove through the handguard of my GARS sword so I'll have to buy a proper bolognese one at some point.

Also, some folks at HEMA International Discussion went off the handle rhyming things about Fiore (and other sword stuff) to the tune of That's Amore:

When three jerks say 'hey sup?'
and you just f*ck them up,
that's Fiore

When an man with a crown
Turns you right upside down,
That's Fiore...

when the halberd comes down
slice the hand off that clown
that's the 'hoffer

when you go tit for tat
don't forget your swan hat
that's fiore

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 12, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

NHK did a decent mini-doc on the origins/evolution of kendo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m5eQtLKM_E

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

MCW does cool thing, makes it look pedestrian

https://twitter.com/LegendsFencing/status/918305293905231872

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Highly trained fencing researchers from my club have finally worked out how to solve the noncombativity problem in epee.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
did someone say swords
https://i.imgur.com/y0NlqJt.mp4