Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Kylra posted:

The event ends tomorrow morning, so better hurry up if you wanna farm tix.

They've confirmed that the event won't end tomorrow, they'll give a warning ahead of time when it actually ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Great news for everyone! You know how we were all just clamoring for Player Unknown's Battlegrounds but in the Fortnite engine? Well that's what today's patch is!

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/patch-v-1-6-fortnite-battle-royale

I...what?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol I can't wait for every game in the next 5 years to shoehorn in a battle royale mode. I guess I might try this??

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I'm just gonna ignore pubfortgnite and keep shooting zambos

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What the hell.

Is kind of awesome. Also having pvp in a pve game usually create a lot of troubles. I hope is not the case here.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

It's entirely separate, no energy, health/shield are basically healrh/armor from other BR games. Weapons/schematics/heroes/whatever don't matter.

Tried a few games and it's actually a lot of fun. Sound is surprisingly accurate as well, including far away gun shots. Weapons do a ton of building damage, you can build on slopes as well (unlike PvE).

Oh and sniper rifles have bullet drop, which is cool.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Might actually try this if it's not some quickly thrown together side thing to cash in on the newest craze while it's still hot.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Currently, there are no mechanisms to monetize or upgrade your character in the PVP arena, and no rewards for achieving any sort of survival.

That said, it is a pretty great representation of a Battle Royale, even if it'll probably loving shatter the playerbase and queue times.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So do they have drive able cars for the battle royale mode?

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

BadLlama posted:

So do they have drive able cars for the battle royale mode?

I haven't seen any.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I got a legendary lead engineer from doing 7 40+ survive the storms, which is one of the ones I needed. That was a thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sputnik posted:

and no rewards for achieving any sort of survival.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6zpjm9/i_won_a_game_and_this_is_what_my_parachute_looks/

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
haha I called poo poo like this in the steam thread, at least they didn't put in a MOBA right?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

haha I called poo poo like this in the steam thread, at least they didn't put in a MOBA right?

Different game modes for different strokes whats the problem?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BadLlama posted:

In my mind the biggest problem with playing copy cat is that there isn't much variety or innovation in video games anymore outside of maybe a few indie developers.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Doorknob Slobber posted:

A MOBA wouldn't be that bad, would fit into the theme well. The real trick is balance. Which is what we are here to test. Would like to see some benefit of grinding to the competitive modes, otherwise it's really 2 separate games with one engine, but don't want it to be any more P2W than it already is.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BadLlama posted:

Splitting the playerbase is bad

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

In my mind the biggest problem with playing copy cat is that there isn't much variety or innovation in video games anymore outside of maybe a few indie developers.

This is how games have been for over 10 years now so I'm not sure why you think you're a genius.

It's basically just gaming clickbait.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Splitting the playerbase is bad

If the different modes interact, it's not really splitting it, and it has the potential to keep the playerbase engaged more long-term.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

The only reason I bought Fortnite is for the Battle Royale mode, I'm sure I won't be the only one. It could wind up being more popular than the PVE as options are limited on PS4.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Skandranon posted:

If the different modes interact, it's not really splitting it, and it has the potential to keep the playerbase engaged more long-term.

It also has the potential to bring in new players.
I love the idea of PUBG but actually kinda hate playing it. Games that are too realistic/serious are boring to me unless it has a great story.

Cartoony PUBG? Heeeellllllllll yeah.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I find that the crowd that plays coop pve games are more chill, I'm not looking forward to angry competitive players.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Is this free on the PS4 or something? I checked the store page out earlier and there's no option to buy it, just says I can download it.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Carmant posted:

Is this free on the PS4 or something? I checked the store page out earlier and there's no option to buy it, just says I can download it.

You can download it for free, but then have to pay $29.99 to purchase the early access pack from the PS Store.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

bug chaser chaser posted:

You can download it for free, but then have to pay $29.99 to purchase the early access pack from the PS Store.

If someone is considering buying the game I'd definitely try getting a 'friend code' off of someone, they generally run about 20$. The friend codes give you the basic 40$ tier pack which allows you to play the game and adds in a few of the gatcha boxes (llamas) and a set of login rewards. The two lower tier packs are also currently 25% off, I presume this still applies if you get a 'gift' copy off of someone and then upgrade to Deluxe.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Aww, makes me even more sad that I ended 2nd with 8 kills and 30 health left on the winner. :smith:

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

BadLlama posted:

I mean, if you believe they have the manpower to render the PvE game generally good and not merely "literally the only quasi-finished entry in its niche" than there's no problem from your perspective. Anyone who isn't already happy with Fortnite, or who has doubts about the devs abilities/permissions to fix what's currently poo poo about it, is going to view additional game modes as distractions from the main event. It's a difference in perspective based upon how much good will to issue to a previously competent brand that has since jumped most of the way down the Freemium rabbit hole. I'm laying it on a little thick because I'm treating your question as serious, and I'm trying to illustrate a perspective different from your own through exaggeration.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Blorknorg posted:

Great news for everyone! You know how we were all just clamoring for Player Unknown's Battlegrounds but in the Fortnite engine? Well that's what today's patch is!

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/patch-v-1-6-fortnite-battle-royale

I...what?

Apparently player progression/buffs/modifiers are all turned off in the PUBG mode? To level the playing field? Wonder how the whales feel about that.

Edit: I genuinely hate how fun it looks. I don't want to support the current state of Fortnite, but cartoony PubG with building looks like a fairly good time,

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 13, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cage-free egghead posted:

I'm not sure why you think you're a genius.

I'm a super genius.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

TheBlandName posted:

I mean, if you believe they have the manpower to render the PvE game generally good and not merely "literally the only quasi-finished entry in its niche" than there's no problem from your perspective. Anyone who isn't already happy with Fortnite, or who has doubts about the devs abilities/permissions to fix what's currently poo poo about it, is going to view additional game modes as distractions from the main event. It's a difference in perspective based upon how much good will to issue to a previously competent brand that has since jumped most of the way down the Freemium rabbit hole. I'm laying it on a little thick because I'm treating your question as serious, and I'm trying to illustrate a perspective different from your own through exaggeration.

While I don't have any numbers to back it up i'm assuming the player base was dropping fast and they threw something in to keep the game relevant for the console because PUBG isn't out yet. Honestly I have no faith in them making the PVE experience any better though.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

While I don't have any numbers to back it up i'm assuming the player base was dropping fast and they threw something in to keep the game relevant for the console because PUBG isn't out yet. Honestly I have no faith in them making the PVE experience any better though.

1.6 brought a good amount of bug fixes for PvE, resulting in late(r) game to be more rewarding. Other than that, you didn't really get much for PvE, no.

That being said, it's pretty cool that they used (part of) the Unreal Tournament team to get this PvP mode on the ground properly from the start.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I mean I only made it to the second zone for PVE and I had fun but the thing that made me stop playing was basically their monetization scheme with the progression slamming you in the balls. I thought the core game minus that was still pretty drat good.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/early-access/feedback/62119-griefer-trolling-stalking-fckin_goon

Admit it, who was it? :laffo:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

quote:

I did mention PSN user EPICMINECRAFT25, he was the one person that I had to contact not only the local police, but also the FBI, where a subpoena was issued (either against PSN or Twitch, I wasn't really given those details), his attacks stopped on my channel shortly afterward (also it seems all activity on his PSN account ceased), so I think he got arrested (or at least I expect his PSN account was banned & he learned a thing or two due to the consequences of his actions). 

Lol

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Did he seriously include an advertisement for twitch at the bottom? :lol:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Now that you mention it, I COULD create griefing accounts with the 2 keys I have left over, if no one ends up buying them....

I mean, that would be unthinkable. Anyone that would build walls in front of another person should be drawn and quartered! No Exceptions!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
video and post were both TLDR

what happen?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

what happen?

Standard ingame trolling + DreamShipWrecked's quote is pretty much it. :v:

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

what happen?

Inexplicable twitch streamer #2350923532 had someone build annoying walls around him towards the end of the match. He threatened that he was 'recording this on stream and reporting' the person, which of course had the exact reaction one would expect.

Is having a face cam just a normal thing for twitch now? He ran a cam of his scowling face as he itched his neck and rubbed his eyes for forty minutes, silently staring at the screen. I jumped around to the exciting conclusion so maybe he really showed some entertaining charisma in the content I skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Blorknorg posted:

Inexplicable twitch streamer #2350923532 had someone build annoying walls around him towards the end of the match. He threatened that he was 'recording this on stream and reporting' the person, which of course had the exact reaction one would expect.

Is having a face cam just a normal thing for twitch now? He ran a cam of his scowling face as he itched his neck and rubbed his eyes for forty minutes, silently staring at the screen. I jumped around to the exciting conclusion so maybe he really showed some entertaining charisma in the content I skipped.

His most exciting was his wordless stretching after blocking and muting the bad bad man. Probably preparing to file suit for lost revenue and mental anguish. I was a little shocked that THIS was the guy complaining about GOOOONs. If that guy isn't a Goon, than what the hell did the guy building walls look like?

• Locked thread