Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

Hey I mean it got Sega to make an entire episode parodying him for that Sonic Boom TV series so maybe that's a plus?

What did they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rexroom posted:

:barf:

Oh yeah, Rayman Legends Definitive Edition was released today, and while it's pretty faithful to the other versions, the load times are the longest compared to all the other versions - yes, even the Vita version. Digital Foundry suspects Ubisoft did some aggressive data compression on the game.

They shrunk it from 7 to 3 gbs. Not paying for those big boy switch carts for a 40 dollar game i guess

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Rexroom posted:

Oh yeah, Rayman Legends Definitive Edition was released today, and while it's pretty faithful to the other versions, the load times are the longest compared to all the other versions - yes, even the Vita version. Digital Foundry suspects Ubisoft did some aggressive data compression on the game.

I bought the physical edition of this today and the load times are pretty aggravating. It's still Rayman Legends wherever you want to play it, which is nice. But it's like 10-15 seconds every level and a good 8-10 to exit the level back to the level selection. Not a deal breaker, but come on guys I'm paying $32 for a pretty old game here, at least do it right.

I also tend to just bunny hop everywhere in games and I keep accidentally going in levels I don't mean to, and that's a half minute of loading just to get back out. :negative:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
STARDEWHEN

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

What did they do?

the writers have said that the episode wasn't based on him and that it was an episode parodying the general idea of obsessive fans.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Real hurthling! posted:

They shrunk it from 7 to 3 gbs. Not paying for those big boy switch carts for a 40 dollar game i guess

I thought 8gb was the smallest card anyway?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

njsykora posted:

The idea that they made the game load times longer on a system with entirely solid state storage for the sake of just making the file size smaller when it wasn't exactly huge to begin with is amazing.
Discs are cheaper to manufacture than mask ROMs. Also GameCards aren't like old cartridge ROMs where they sit directly on the I/O bus. Their access times can be relatively slow.

Wonder if there was a Nintendo-imposed requirement to keep the game size below 3 GB.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 12, 2017

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought 8gb was the smallest card anyway?
8 gigabits, which is 1 gigabyte.

Here's a good article on game card costs.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

What did they do?

Talking about this episode I think.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Elman posted:

But they're buttons for a reason, you can't use the joycon horizontally if it has a d-pad. You're expected to get the pro controller for fighting games that are not ARMS.

Yes. We know that.

If Nintendo is married to the idea that all joycons need to be have the option to be used as mini controllers, replace the analog stick with the DPAD instead of the buttons.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Bob's Game did finally get released. The long wandering RPG morphed into a generic knock off puzzle game which makes the entire saga even more :lol:

No, see,the RPG "Bob's Game" was a story ABOUT the titular "bob's game," the best game in the world which the main character enter a tournament for. The game available on Steam is the latter, the in-story game divorced from the RPG that was to originally contain it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I sure hope tomorrow's Direct isn't the snoozefest today's Apple keynote was

I don't even know why I still bother watching those; I don't think there's been a good one since the iPhone 6.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

the writers have said that the episode wasn't based on him and that it was an episode parodying the general idea of obsessive fans.

Okay but lying to avoid a lawsuit is a thing

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

enojy posted:

I sure hope tomorrow's Direct isn't the snoozefest today's Apple keynote was

I don't even know why I still bother watching those; I don't think there's been a good one since the iPhone 6.

Are you going to buy the $1000 phone?

Real hurthling! posted:

What did they do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzVQELfxUps

It's not directly based on him but as a parody of obsessive Sonic fans in general like razorsaw is saying. It's not that hard to see where they're angling with it though, they have a bunch of other weird Sonic fan jokes through the entire series.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rexroom posted:

:barf:

That’s really disappointing. I was considering double dipping but I’ll stick with it on Wii U. Hopefully they could add an option to download uncompressed assists for faster loading or something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bean posted:

Okay but lying to avoid a lawsuit is a thing

There's not really anything specifically based on that individual. The character's outift is a parody of Sonic's appearance, his being overweight is (unfortunately) a common negative stereotype of obsessive fans, and pretty much every Sonic specific-joke is a "controversy" the fandom has been vocal about with or without Chandler's input.

You have to really stretch things to make it about them. It's really just a stock "fanboy" episode and Misery parody.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Policenaut posted:

Are you going to buy the $1000 phone?

Nope! I'm not even impressed with the 8. I have a 7+ and it's plenty good enough until next year's refresh, if not longer. I feel like smartphones have perhaps reached stagnation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't you mean stagsmartian?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

enojy posted:

Nope! I'm not even impressed with the 8. I have a 7+ and it's plenty good enough until next year's refresh, if not longer. I feel like smartphones have perhaps reached stagnation.

Hell, my 6s might end up being a record for me not switching. It does 100% of what I need and I already own it. Probably just gonna pay a little to replace the battery when that goes and get another 2 years out of it.

E: poo poo what thread is this

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 13, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'll get the X for the simple reason that it's time to update my phone anyway and it looks nice. Although lol at it being well over $1500 here. Considering the excellent exchange rate for USD we have at the moment I'm tempted to see if I can cross-import it somehow.

Also I played Rabbids for an hour on the train last night to a dinner I was going to and I can confirm no attractive women asked to multiplay with me so I am now considering the console a failure.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

iajanus posted:

I'll get the X for the simple reason that it's time to update my phone anyway and it looks nice. Although lol at it being well over $1500 here. Considering the excellent exchange rate for USD we have at the moment I'm tempted to see if I can cross-import it somehow.

Also I played Rabbids for an hour on the train last night to a dinner I was going to and I can confirm no attractive women asked to multiplay with me so I am now considering the console a failure.

How much exposed brick was on this train though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I finally reached a level in Mario + Rabbids that I wasn't able to Perfect on my first successful attempt (4-5). Killing a boss with thousands of HP in three turns, really? I suppose it might be easier if I come back with better weapons or something

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Rolo posted:

How much exposed brick was on this train though

Very little, surprisingly. Maybe Sydney isn't hipstery enough for this kind of meetcute to work. I'll try again when I get back to Brisbane*.

* in brisbane nobody uses the trains because they never run and go nowhere so I'm more likely to have some nice people come and permanently borrow my Switch.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

one of these should fit I think

Thanks, but I think I will take a break from ordering from aliexpress, let alone China/overseas for a while.

E: also all those screws are too long, this tiny fucker's length was about as big as the top was, but i guess i could just clip some of it off.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 13, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Has it been posted yet that the tags for the Direct tomorrow have a bunch of leaked stuff in them?

quote:

There’s additional evidence to consider, with two other tags having also been attached to the video – although they too were quickly removed alongside Super Smash Bros.. Those two tags were for Mother, known in West as Earthbound, and F-Zero, each with related Nintendo Switch rumors. Those three tags (Mother, F-Zero, and Super Smash Bros.) are a rather odd combination of Nintendo I.P. for the video to include, especially given the pre-existing rumors that GameCube iterations of the latter franchises and the Japan-only GBA title, Mother 3, are en route to Switch.

Source.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Direct is going to be 45 minutes of Waluigi's uncircumcised dick just so it's really confirmed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Theta Zero posted:

Has it been posted yet that the tags for the Direct tomorrow have a bunch of leaked stuff in them?

Source.

If this direct has Mother, Smash Bros and F-Zero I'll make and eat 5 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rolo posted:

If this direct has Mother, Smash Bros and F-Zero I'll make and eat 5 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Holy loving poo poo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rolo posted:

vid or i won't believe you

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/907775148111142912

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
if I don't believe, I can't be hurt when it's wrong

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RABBIDS CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

So I've never watched a Nintendo direct but for the first time in forever I'm not working when this one comes out, how would someone watch this? Is it streamed somewhere live or do you wait for it to go up like a YouTube video or some such?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jade Mage posted:

So I've never watched a Nintendo direct but for the first time in forever I'm not working when this one comes out, how would someone watch this? Is it streamed somewhere live or do you wait for it to go up like a YouTube video or some such?

Youtube

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jade Mage posted:

It's streamed live on Youtube, which is odd because it's clearly prerecorded. They could just upload the video. I guess it's to stop you from skipping ahead?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPF86bJzebk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jade Mage posted:

Live streamed on YouTube and Twitch and the archive will be on YouTube within a few minutes of it ending. There's usually small differences between regions with some games showing up on one stream before another and differences in release dates based on region.

As for the tags, I'll believe Smash and Mother but I refuse to get my hopes up for F-Zero. I can't handle that disappointment again.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Hideki Kamiya (the guy behind Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, and pretty much everything Platinum) retweeted the upcoming Direct.

Take what you will from that.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's streamed live on Youtube, which is odd because it's clearly prerecorded. They could just upload the video. I guess it's to stop you from skipping ahead?

They seem to have the separate prerecorded videos/trailer set to upload as they're revealed on stream, or close enough to it. The livestream does a good job of getting everyone to watch a thing at once, watch trailers etc they might not otherwise, and encourages talking about 'em. It's simulcast on twitch as well, in case that's anyone's platform of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
There are so many speculations about this thing, we should start wagering.

:getin:

• Locked thread