Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm just curious because a new report came out that consumer debt is like craaaazy, and student loans are crippling and all that. People always complain that young people need to save for retirement, but how reasonable is that expectation? How much have you saved for retirement? Do you intend to step that up in the future? When and how?

Okay, haha, here's the kicker. Millennials are actually being way more diligent than former generations when it comes to retirement savings, particularly when adjusted for, well, their capacity to do so. So did you accidentally give up when it turns out your friends really are saving? Or did the loving survey dorks do that loving thing where they just interviewed some socal white people and assumed that they could generalize that to the entire country?

quote:

Overall, Americans significantly improved their "retirement preparedness" score—a measure of how well people will be able to afford at least their essential expenses in retirement—since the benchmark was last assessed in 2013 by Fidelity.That year, Fidelity found that 38% of Americans were prepared for retirement. In 2015 that number jumped to 45% as a result of better saving and investment allocation, the analysis shows.

quote:

The median age at which millennials buy their first mutual fund shares, for instance, is 23, according to the ICI's latest, just-out, annual Fact Book. In contrast, members of Generation X — who range in age from 37 to 52 — took their first bite of the mutual fund apple at a median age of 26.

Late (or younger) baby boomers did not get started until a median age of 32. For older baby boomers, the median starting age was 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

None of your loving business.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
negative

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

jon joe posted:

negative

ho

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

not that desperate yet

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

It's all in bitcoins, I'm buying a spaceship in 30 years

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

$42,069

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
Between my employer and I we put about 1100 biweekly into my pension. If I work until I'm 55 my pension will pay me 5800 a month until I die (assuming I only get a 2 percent raise per year). 65 and I get 7500. I don't know why you guys keep voting to crush unions.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a basement full of PBR cans

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just started with my 401k

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

a bunch of john kruk rookie cards and my NES collection

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't plan to live long enough to reach retirement age

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I don't plan to live long enough to reach retirement age

this guy gets it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

manpurse posted:

Between my employer and I we put about 1100 biweekly into my pension. If I work until I'm 55 my pension will pay me 5800 a month until I die (assuming I only get a 2 percent raise per year). 65 and I get 7500. I don't know why you guys keep voting to crush unions.

envy

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

just lol if you're saving money and not putting it all into guns and ammo and supplies for the imminent apocalypse

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kenzie posted:

just lol if you're saving money and not putting it all into guns and ammo and supplies for the imminent apocalypse

why spend that much?

You only need one gun and bullet for the apocalypse.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
You could retire today and be just as broke as you will when you retire at age 70. You might even come away with more money by doing it now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If yI count together my current 401K and the old 401K I rolled into a Vanguard IRA, it's a little over 100 Gs, OP. How about yourself?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Lots, OP. Australian law makes superannuation contributions mandatory

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I've got an ok amount between the wife and myself, but I hope all of the "I put away 10k a month into my blah blah" all die at 55 without getting to enjoy it and their (ugly) kids fight over their money.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
enough but still growing it (like my dilz)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tyson Tomko posted:

I've got an ok amount between the wife and myself, but I hope all of the "I put away 10k a month into my blah blah" all die at 55 without getting to enjoy it and their (ugly) kids fight over their money.

I'd rather die secure at 50 than die broke at 90

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Tyson Tomko posted:

no :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

If yI count together my current 401K and the old 401K I rolled into a Vanguard IRA, it's a little over 100 Gs, OP. How about yourself?

grad school put me behind on it so I'm working on it now, trying to figure current v. future enjoyment and etc.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

General Dog posted:

I'd rather die secure at 50 than die broke at 90

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me but we're totally on the same page.

My main debacle is a lot of mine is in stock, so if it takes a poo poo so does 40% of my monay. Rolling those dice!

Also worst case scenario, if I turn 103 and funds dry up I'll bag holographic future groceries or something for some spare change.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think these forums will exist when I retire so my future enjoyment will be much diminished

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pick posted:

Okay, haha, here's the kicker. Millennials are actually being way more diligent than former generations when it comes to retirement savings, particularly when adjusted for, well, their capacity to do so. So did you accidentally give up when it turns out your friends really are saving? Or did the loving survey dorks do that loving thing where they just interviewed some socal white people and assumed that they could generalize that to the entire country?

Almost certainly this.

Mutual fund purchases were only popular as a part of retirement strategy (I can't check how they define it since you didn't source your mfin quotes) after the 401k was made the main retirement vehicle by the death of pensions. Purchases were delayed by boomers because they still had pensions.

Also I'm guessing the median age is only among people who actually have access to them. Because lol.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pick posted:

grad school put me behind on it so I'm working on it now, trying to figure current v. future enjoyment and etc.

Well if your employer matches on 401K at least max that out; it's free money!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I save 7% per year, more if I can swing it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

Well if your employer matches on 401K at least max that out; it's free money!

Oh poo poo absolutely, I don't leave money on the table.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Green Stamps, Topps cards from the 80s, and outdated electronics. Worth a little more than $200. US.
Yep, I'm set. :cool:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna have to work until I die.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When I die my nieces and nephews can have the money since I didn't live long enough

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

When I die my nieces and nephews can have the money since I didn't live long enough

Same, I figure it'll go to some other random family members and some charity or w/e I probably won't get there.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I have a cool 750k in Iraqi Dinar. Now all I gotta do is wait for the middle east to calm down.... any day now.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Pick posted:

Same, I figure it'll go to some other random family members and some charity or w/e I probably won't get there.

Same I'm a dink so the niece and nephew and local childrens hospital are gonna clean up.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
like,

a lot.

my plan is to retire in my 50s, & its on track

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Pick posted:

To be honest, same.

If I'm still kickin in a few (a few few is more like it) years when my house is paid off I'll consider that a victory and paying the bills will be a shitload easier from that point forward. I wish I could get by without any health insurance to spend even less but gently caress that ultra gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Jose posted:

I have a will and and living will as well. Makes it easier. This is a serious post.

• Locked thread