Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Blazing... I agree with a lot of your criticisms.

But sometimes can you just let us enjoy some butt rock while things explode?

A lot my bitching is mostly from liking the concept and the frustration of constantly throwing away a lot of potential.

I really can't agree with my earlier sentiment that they're out of gas, entirely. They still come up with cool ideas for episodes or characters, it's just that they lazily dispatch them post-haste and then skip the series forward. It's like at the rate you'd expect characters to disappear from per-serialized TV where you doubt the guest star is ever going to come back, except it's a serialized show and it makes it really annoying.

Constantly near concepts then what I feel is lazy execution keep driving me slightly nuts. It's like if they cooked things just a LITTLE more, through effort, the show could easily be running at 400% what it is right now and it's kind of fascinating but also kind of, as mentioned, frustrating. It's not as easy the throw away "they exhausted their ideas" as much as "they refuse to put effort into exploring the ideas they raise." It's actually way more frustrating than a show just being bad.

ED: Also I know every show has plot holes and inconsistencies but holy loving poo poo Supernatural has taken that to 11. Unless there's an episode that explains that all the 10,000 plot holes that have occurred over the last few years were the result of some fractured-timeline shenanigans, there's just not getting around what a mess it is. I'd say it's exceeded later Heroes at this point in the "Holy poo poo, did they really forget what they did 5 minutes ago?" department, but that managed to probably pack 3 seasons worth of Supernatural plot holes into each episode, honestly.

ED: Unless Jody Mills turns into the Spinoff's Ned Stark, I'll wish them luck with it though. There's some likable characters there. As mentioned I just want them to try. Maybe since it's new they will. It is a gently caress load better than that Vampire 90210 episode or whatever the gently caress that was. Anyone remember that? It was so bad I thought it HAD to be mis-remembering it for a while.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ironic coloring books seem to be the hot new trend. I got a Die Hard one for my birthday this year.
https://www.amazon.com/Die-Hard-Authorized-Coloring-Activity/dp/0062492306

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Closing out season 11, did Dean just save the universe with the power of love?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 13, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rhyno posted:

Closing out season 11, did Dean just save the universe with the power of love?

Family, really.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Some Numbers posted:

Family, really.

Stealing Vin Diesel's schtick then.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spoilers: They are continuing to show people still alive in the alternate universe. Next up, the Archangel Michael!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Ironic coloring books seem to be the hot new trend. I got a Die Hard one for my birthday this year.
https://www.amazon.com/Die-Hard-Authorized-Coloring-Activity/dp/0062492306

Bigger and thicker than expected.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Bigger and thicker than expected.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sheriff Jodie is the best supporting character, is that spinoff actually happening?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its just a backdoor pilot as of now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Did you see my comment?

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 14, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Did you see my comment?

I didn't, just been marathoning the Office recently and that has been my go-to response for just about anything that fits (and serveral things that don't).

...ThatsWhaySheSaid!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I just watched "Regarding Dean" and thought the scene with "Dean" riding the buckin' bronco at the end was hilarious because that stunt actor looks nothing like Jensen Ackles. It's especially noticeable when looking at him from a profile view.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

So this show is back tonight, btw.

I'm knocking around ideas for an OP, will likely close this at some point in the near future, as we're three years along in this one, but I forgot to do it before tonight. Maybe the bump reminds folks it's happening?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yay!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat, Jack looks like a young Mischa. Like, I am surprised that it isn't his kid kind of looks like.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I loved in the beginning when that kid was truly convinced lucifer’s son was stoned as all hell based on his answer to “what are you on”

I’ve been that stoned before and it’s glorious

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm a bit sick of Dean's "all non-humans are inherently evil and need to die" thing. Especially given how often he's willing to make exceptions once he gets to know them. Like, he's actually asking God to bring Crowley back to life? But Jack's gotta die, obviously. :rolleyes:

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
Well Dean blames Jack for Cas's death (which, I mean, not wrong?) so I think him wanting to kill Jack is understandable. He's obviously wrecked about Cas dying (whether or not you ship those two I think that's clear) and Dean isn't exactly a well-adjusted person, "kill stuff" is pretty much his go-to when he's upset.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, Dean's actions in the episode are understandable since he just went through a major loss and is still hurt/angry.

I imagine he'll calm down in a few episodes.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope they go any route other than Jack as the Big Bad. There were a few fake outs in this episode but I hope they just keep it at that.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It's loving bullshit episode 1 isn't Cass teaching Jack the wonders of modernity like automobiles, candy bars, and voice mail. Is there a reason they started off this season with him being Very Dead other than to piss me off?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through season 10, and I've pretty much been trying to slog through to finish it. Is there a marked uptick in quality in season 11 and beyond or if I'm not feeling this anymore should I just give up now?

The my big issue is Crowleys mom but the main storyline isn't great either.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm about 3/4 of the way through season 10, and I've pretty much been trying to slog through to finish it. Is there a marked uptick in quality in season 11 and beyond or if I'm not feeling this anymore should I just give up now?

The my big issue is Crowleys mom but the main storyline isn't great either.

11 is better, 12 is better still (say.... Season 3 quality), and we've just started 13.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

13 seems like it's gonna be a lot different.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

cool kids inc. posted:

11 is better, 12 is better still (say.... Season 3 quality), and we've just started 13.

Thanks, I'll continue going through it. Rowena is awful though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AFewBricksShy posted:

Rowena is awful though.

Yes. You won't miss much if you just fast forward through her scenes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

AFewBricksShy posted:

She's delightful.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

She's delightful.

Agreed, I just love her. Also I met Ruth Connell at a convention this summer and she was lovely which just makes me like Rowena more.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The main "problem" with Rowena is that she's an annoying character by design (the Devil'sKing Of Hell's emasculating mom? Hi-larious!) played by a good actress.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That was a good episode of Supernatural. Not great, but good. Dean is still being a bit of a dick, but not to an unreasonable level (for Dean).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

She's delightful.

M E G A C O V E N

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

M E G A C O V E N

:getin:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AFewBricksShy posted:

Get hype!

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/supernatural/ruth-connell-returning-to-supe-66474.aspx

:swoon:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Astroman posted:

Get hype!

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/supernatural/ruth-connell-returning-to-supe-66474.aspx

Rowena is probably better without Crowley. By herself she's one of the most powerful witches alive. Together they bicker and scheme in ways that make them both look weaker.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Good episode. And I'm glad to see Dean starting to come around to Sam's way of thinking.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Astroman posted:

Get hype!

:discourse:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked how they expanded the mythology to show where angels and demons go when they die and what was before creation.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

I liked how they expanded the mythology to show where angels and demons go when they die and what was before creation.

I agree, I like when they dive into the mythology a bit. I was disappointed that the void god was just Castiel doing a dumb voice but otherwise solid B story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yay! :toot:

The ghost story was pretty good too.