Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

On the surfaces it's maddeningly easy to trigger. I'll go threw a few loops of lock the laptop to back to the desktop without my eyes on the camera or IR camera. I'll chalk up the presentation to a demo jitters. You can't beat an always on IR camera.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/windows-hello-face-authentication

E: The diverging factor of Windows hello and FaceID is it appears FaceID is silently re-enrolling you as your face changes. To prevent any kind of exploits, WH makes you re-enroll with significant facial hair.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

How well does it work ?

Im not concerned about Face ID not working or recognizing my face

Im worried that we're gonna have to do exaggerated motions to unlock it like Craig did on the keynote, instead of calmly putting my finger on the home button while I'm not even looking at the device

I have it on a Spectre laptop and it works great. You open it and boom it recognizes you nearly instantly.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Yeah but I unlock my phone from my pocket all the time before I pull it out. This seems like it'll add a couple seconds to every interaction every part of every day.

Is it worth it for a screen that's not really edge to edge and has an ugly chin? For $1,000?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
iPad Pro went up in price today. :confused:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Verge video has some good examples of iPhone X interactions.

Some thoughts:
13s: Closing an app and getting to app switcher look slower now. Especially app switching.
1m30s: FaceID unlock is pretty drat fast.
2m25s: The flashing front facing camera light when the FaceId cameras are working is pretty annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYYvHb03Eog

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah but I unlock my phone from my pocket all the time before I pull it out. This seems like it'll add a couple seconds to every interaction every part of every day.

Is it worth it for a screen that's not really edge to edge and has an ugly chin? For $1,000?

Yeah but its not like you could find another phone that has an edge to edge screen, no chin, fingerprint scanner, wireless charging, expandable storage and costs $275 less. Simply not possible.

edit: and headphone port

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 13, 2017

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Lmao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Unlock someone's phone by pointing it at their face is real easy apparently

Yeah

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

based off the verge video it won't unlock till you open your eyes though??

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think Apple really hosed themselves by making TouchID 2.0 so good. Like, the #1 reason I want the 8 over the X is that I love TouchID so much.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
someone tell me what OLED does that is so special besides turn three red checks into three green checks

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

.Z. posted:

2m25s: The flashing front facing camera light when the FaceId cameras are working is pretty annoying.

lol you're adorable

when you have bionic eyes that allow you to see infrared, you lemme know!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

someone tell me what OLED does that is so special besides turn three red checks into three green checks

OLED screens look fantastic. It's the contrast, and it's difficult to describe. Black parts of the screen are actually turned off, not lit up black.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It has amazing colors, infinite contrast, and the purest blacks ever produced with any display technology. It is the best screen you have seen and the difference with every type of content is immediate. You won't go back to LCDs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

OLED burn-in is still a thing. Google redid large parts of android depending if you use a OLED or a LCD so it will be interesting to see what apple is doing to prevent it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It's organic. What more needs to be said?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mahoning posted:

I think Apple really hosed themselves by making TouchID 2.0 so good. Like, the #1 reason I want the 8 over the X is that I love TouchID so much.

Yeah giving up TouchID is not something I want to do.

Just got to the part where Hair Force One tried to demo FaceID and it didn't work. Hilarious.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

incoherent posted:

based off the verge video it won't unlock till you open your eyes though??

One of the presenters (was it Craig?) said so on stage. If you're eyes are not looking at the phone, Face ID will ignore the face.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

incoherent posted:

OLED burn-in is still a thing. Google redid large parts of android depending if you use a OLED or a LCD so it will be interesting to see what apple is doing to prevent it.

iPhone X-1 will fix it

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So if you are wearing sunglasses you have to constantly take them off to unlock your phone? Lmao

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So if you are wearing sunglasses you have to constantly take them off to unlock your phone? Lmao

no

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Rewatching the keynote. Says that you can have your eyes closed to unlock. Does that mean it can see through the sunglasses?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
There's someone manning a computer in a dungeon pressing a button confirming that it's you and then your phone unlocks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It doesn't matter if it's 100% accurate and can magically scan through ski masks whilst offering some theoretical 100% security.
Having used a nearly-instant face unlock it's annoying and goofy enough that most people will fall back to using pin / pattern / smart unlock (or just pin on iOS) instead.

If Apple insist on keeping biometrics-at-access for Apple Pay as well (as opposed to other systems where you can auth your device for a few minutes) it'll also make using that look stupid.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Over There posted:

Does that mean it can see through the sunglasses?

sunglasses don't block IR, you have to go out of your way for that

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pivo posted:

sunglasses don't block IR, you have to go out of your way for that

Okay cool, I wish they would have mentioned that today

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

they did say you could put on glasses, i suppose they didn't specifically say sunglasses. a lot of things that look opaque in the visible spectrum are transparent to IR. remember how you could use 'night mode' on old cameras to peek through thin clothes? i mean, hypothetically. it's the same idea - 'night mode' just turns up the gain, moves the IR filter out of the way, and floods the scene with IR ... it's also why in Verge's video you can see that dot projector, cameras can pick up IR (that same camera will also let you see your infrared remote) although most filter it out, but it's actually invisible to the human eye

basically, play around with infrared some more, nerds!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Will the series one watch be able to charge on the wireless pad or is it only series 3?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

only 3, during the announcement he specifically said 'charge your series 3 apple watch'

but i guess that's not excluding the others explicitly so ...

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pivo posted:

only 3, during the announcement he specifically said ‘charge your series 3 apple watch’

Boo :(

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's not like touch ID was perfect. Your skin had to make contact, so cold weather climates with gloves were a nuisance situation. Wet fingers sometimes cause problems. You still find yourself entering codes in many situations rather than using touchID. Yea, it's cool, but it's not so incredibly amazing that moving away from it is a bad thing per se.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Been watching videos on the demos of the 8 and X. I was leaning on the 8 plus but the X is so good looking ughhhhhh

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's not like touch ID was perfect. Your skin had to make contact, so cold weather climates with gloves were a nuisance situation. Wet fingers sometimes cause problems. You still find yourself entering codes in many situations rather than using touchID. Yea, it's cool, but it's not so incredibly amazing that moving away from it is a bad thing per se.

Ummm pretty much everything you just said can also be said about touchscreen technology.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
You know what's cool? Being able to unlock your phone while it's on your desk. Having to point it at your dumb face to quickly unlock is painfully stupid. Also, I wonder what force shut down will be without a second button to hold.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can still hold two buttons. Side button and volume down. Same as it is on the 7(+) no?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Ummm pretty much everything you just said can also be said about touchscreen technology.

Yes even the best technology is imperfect, so one day when we have brain implants to activate functions on our phone we can move past the touch part entirely

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Magic Underwear posted:

Yeah but its not like you could find another phone that has an edge to edge screen, no chin, fingerprint scanner, wireless charging, expandable storage and costs $275 less. Simply not possible.

edit: and headphone port

hey cool can it run ios?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pivo posted:

You can still hold two buttons. Side button and volume down. Same as it is on the 7(+) no?

Any idea what's the Screen shot combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How am I supposed to secretly message my mafia boss with my phone in my pocket if I have to look at it to unlock it

• Locked thread