Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I think it's completely fine to skip localization in scanlations since the reader can be assumed to be familiar with the culture and ways of speaking.

For official print comics it's a different matter, if you skip localization it could alienate new or casual readers.

really looking forward to more from this average high school boy/girl comic author

Vesi fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Onean posted:

I dunno, it may be more of a regional thing. "Ehhhhhh?!" isn't just a Japanese thing, I'm pretty familiar with it in my area.

Yeah english has like 50 different dialects, but I don't think its too common. Where do you live?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I always just parse it as like "sudden surprised sound". Like going "Uuuuuuuuuuuh" when someone says something so completely baffling, your brain just sort of fumbles around for a moment.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pavlov posted:

Yeah english has like 50 different dialects, but I don't think its too common. Where do you live?

North West USA. To be fair, variations of "What?!" or "Huh?!" are more common pretty much everywhere, here included, than "Ehh?!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Noo stop triggering me. :qq:

Pretty sure he's just an ordinary normal high school boy, this boy named Sasuke.

Not a sentence I say often but Sasuke's a good character.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ribbon Girl from Nichijou has made any "eeeehhh" based jokes OK in my book.

E: Don't wanna doublepost but aaaaah this series is good.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 12, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Ribbon Girl from Nichijou has made any "eeeehhh" based jokes OK in my book.

E: Don't wanna doublepost but aaaaah this series is good.

Latest! It's dramatic!!!

It is super super cute and good and just the slightest bit surreal (loved Shinobu's eyesight gag!). I think everyone should read it, and I don't really want it to end!

EDIT: There's something really charming about the art too. Like it's kind of simple, and the anatomy is so-so, but like the expressions and body language are really top-notch, and he has a great sense of pacing and paneling.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 13, 2017

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Shinobu-chan is really good and I'd really like to see more stuff by that author

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The thread title is relevant again.

Voynich Hotel is being released in the US by Seven Seas.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I know Shinobu chan has only like 10 chapters left to translate but i'm glad that especially in recent chapters there has been actual (if relatively small) romantic progress.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Onean posted:

I dunno, it may be more of a regional thing. "Ehhhhhh?!" isn't just a Japanese thing, I'm pretty familiar with it in my area.

I was going to say I know some people who say things like that...

...But I'm Canadian. :shrug:

"Huh?" is more common in English anyways.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Neeewwww... Flying Witch! :3:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That critter's super cute :3:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The backgrounds in Flying Witch are so good holy moley

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ah that was great! A bit of an exciting chapter. That adorable thing totally looked like a Pokemon!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DrSunshine posted:

Ah that was great! A bit of an exciting chapter. That adorable thing totally looked like a Pokemon!

It did, didn't it? :3: Sitting there, slurping it's dinner~

The Flying Witch anime really doubles down on the gorgeous environment so definitely check that out if you haven't already

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Knorth posted:

It did, didn't it? :3: Sitting there, slurping it's dinner~

The Flying Witch anime really doubles down on the gorgeous environment so definitely check that out if you haven't already

Sha la la laaa~

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I like the "The scent of darkness is drifting towards the witches" title page because ha ha no it's not.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Serious Senpai has the weirdest hair! It's like pure flat, sharp geometrical triangles.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sheriff Evans is soooooo good. Anyone reading it as well?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Plutonis posted:

I am. I hope things go well with him and Oakley! But sadly, the Wild West is a savage frontier.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh huh, i was behind on Flying Witch. That means i get two!

e: the faces seem slightly weird in this chapter. Maybe it's just me?

e:e: That was some cool wind magic, and also LOL at that greedy narunaru :can:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 16, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I am. I hope things go well with him and Oakley! But sadly, the Wild West is a savage frontier.

It is really good, and funny!! I would have posted it in the Misc Shounen thread (that one really needs some love!!) but I kept forgetting. :o

Ninja Average Boring Regular Girl Shinobu-chan has a few new chapters. I'm sad that this one is going to be through with soon, I get a few chuckles and smiles out of it every time, and that poster earlier was right about every character getting their own moment to shine. It's just a solid, quietly fun manga!

In other discussion: a lot of the SDL manga we've loved are getting English releases. Has anyone kept up with Seki-Kun? Or Sakamoto? Or Nichijou? I need to collect some of the volumes, but I am running out of room on my anime shelf. :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've got an ever increasing stack of Nichijou volumes that I couldn't be happier with (and i just pre-ordered the tenth and final volume). Plus Flying Witch!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 16, 2017

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I'm reading it too, and it is extremely good. Honestly, it's the only romance manga I've read where I'm extremely into the main pair getting together :allears:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

New sleepy princess

Turns out they like the princess after all.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Gloomy Rube posted:

New sleepy princess

Turns out they like the princess after all.

and another new sleepy princess

happy apple day.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It was mentioned before, but I really like her goblin-mode. :3:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Sayuris is the most relatable MC I've ever seen.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Normal Girl Shinobu-chan is reaching the end. But it's really well-paced, so it doesn't feel rushed at all.

Aaah, it's good!! It's good!! :keke:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's definitely a cute little series I'll remember for a long time, and one I'll lament at not being longer because the crop of characters it has established were all very solid and I'm sure had all kinds of fun stories in their futures.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Umpteen series go far past their prime, and this one gets cut short at 30. No justice.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's definitely a cute little series I'll remember for a long time, and one I'll lament at not being longer because the crop of characters it has established were all very solid and I'm sure had all kinds of fun stories in their futures.

Yeah, I think the ninja dude could've been a great side-story. He and the childhood friend were shaping up to have a pretty cool dynamic. And there's tons of other things they could've done too -- a trip to Shinobu's home town, perhaps? Lots of potential.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Here's the last chapter. I hope everyone is ready for a last-minute shocking twist:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Mygna posted:

Here's the last chapter. I hope everyone is ready for a last-minute shocking twist:

What! a ninja?! :monocle:

realtalk they didn't kiss for fucks sake this manga needs an epilogue chapter :mad:

Fellis fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 19, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

sniper4625 posted:

Umpteen series go far past their prime, and this one gets cut short at 30. No justice.

The author planned for two volumes, and it ended up at five, so we can already count ourselves lucky.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mygna posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe it ended on a huge twist like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And a bato.to link, so people can actually read it.