Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cojawfee posted:

CBS/Paramount don't own "TV show set on a space ship."

Lol yah that's the only thing this takes from star trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Cojawfee posted:

CBS/Paramount don't own "TV show set on a space ship."

Cmon dude I didn't even hate it, but it is a colorswapped ripoff of TNG

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

...and it's infinitely better than the time actual Star Trek tried to do a ripoff of TNG.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm not even anti-Orville — I thought it was "ok" — I'm just legit confused about how CBS isn't filing suit against FOX right now. Every design and situational element is ripped directly from star trek yet it's not a parody at all because not a single joke comes from riffing on the "star trekkyness" of it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay b****** I laughed at least 5 times to the premiere. Making the stoic Guy the one with the weird reproduction is funny. T&g with no sense of professionalism is funny. The jokes were dumb, but when characters did silly things I laughed. It's time to watch a show. And that show is the show. Yeah. It's watching showtimes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah, this is what I find weird about the pilot. Is it even legal for a show to rip off a series in every way and then not actually parody that series??

It's more like a fan show than a parody... But fan shows are only tolerated legally sometimes because they have tiny distribution.

They're not using any Star Trek names or actual designs for ships/props/characters so they're in the clear. The core concepts of this show might be similar to Star Trek but the ideas are so generic in space fiction that Paramount can't claim they own them. The times that Paramount can go after a production is when they're actually using Trek IP, like the Axanar fan film, which was taking names and plot points that were directly mentioned on Star Trek.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Orville isn't trying to profit off of Star Trek IP, and MacFarlane pitched it as a sci-fi comedy-drama, not a space opera drama. The fact that Orville is hitting notes that are much more Star Trek TNG than everything we've seen out of Star Trek in the past twenty years put together is not admissible evidence for whatever CBS would even want to attempt to file suit for.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Soothing Vapors posted:

Cmon dude I didn't even hate it, but it is a colorswapped ripoff of TNG

And? Ever notice how when A Bugs Life and Antz came out, they were the same concept but Pixar didn't sue Dreamworks? Because you can't own a generic concept for something unless you patent something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm not even anti-Orville — I thought it was "ok" — I'm just legit confused about how CBS isn't filing suit against FOX right now. Every design and situational element is ripped directly from star trek yet it's not a parody at all because not a single joke comes from riffing on the "star trekkyness" of it.

you can't copyright concepts only the expression of them

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zurui posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. Is this show just accidentally what America wants right now?

CBS All Access: "Oh, poo poo."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, this show has nothing to do with TNG. In fact I doubt McFarlane has even seen it.

So you are claiming not to be hyperbolic but rather to simply not know what words mean?

It's clearly an homage to TNG. It clearly is inspired by earlier works (as all things are) and, yes, heavily - but that doesn't make it a ripoff. The entire mood and tone is intentionally different for one thing.

It's not trying to do the same thing TNG was. It is trying to appeal to TNG fans obviously, but that's not the same thing.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Command wears blue, Security wears red, green is Medical... not a parody. Totally different concept.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Parody is pretty well protected, even if goons say its not a parody.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's averaging 4.2 on Amazon!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mantis42 posted:

All goons are entertainment lawyers.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Nah. It's unlikely that if this ever saw a courtroom (it won't) that 20th Century Fox would go through the risk of having to affirmatively argue that the fair use exception applies rather than just point out that no copyrighted material was used. You argue parody as a defense when you want to be able to do a skit that actually uses the names Enterprise and Kirk/Picard/whatever and there's no way to deny you're using copyrighted material.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 13, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

jfood posted:

Command wears blue, Security wears red, green is Medical... not a parody. Totally different concept.

The idea of color coding personnel based on job is totally original to star treks

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This is a parody of the United States military's planned Space Corps, inspired by the US Navy.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

So you are claiming not to be hyperbolic but rather to simply not know what words mean?

It's clearly an homage to TNG. It clearly is inspired by earlier works (as all things are) and, yes, heavily - but that doesn't make it a ripoff. The entire mood and tone is intentionally different for one thing.

It's not trying to do the same thing TNG was. It is trying to appeal to TNG fans obviously, but that's not the same thing.

It's obvious that McFarlane wanted to make a Star Trek show. He couldn't get access to the license so he made his own, near identical show. I don't know, or care, about the legalities of the issue. But as others pointed out, it's not a parody. Tone already varies in Trek properties, but if you think that McFarlane woke up one day and had an idea for a sci-if show out of nothing and it's just a coincidence that it shares a concept, format, multiple character archetypes, and a near-identical aesthetic with Star Trek: The Next Generation, then I don't know what to tell you.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Fox Television Group chairman and CEO Dana Walden posted:

“We’re not really concerned,” she said. “We obviously have a big legal team. We vet things, so it’s not like we’re just flying by the seat of our pants out here. Seth’s intention is to do something that clearly pays homage to Star Trek, that clearly was inspired a lot by Star Trek.

Also, there is a lot going on in this trailer fro the next few episodes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVisPe0s2lg

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 13, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Accretionist posted:

It's averaging 4.2 on Amazon!

Any idea when new episodes show up on Amazon streaming?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's obvious that McFarlane wanted to make a Star Trek show. He couldn't get access to the license so he made his own, near identical show. I don't know, or care, about the legalities of the issue. But as others pointed out, it's not a parody. Tone already varies in Trek properties, but if you think that McFarlane woke up one day and had an idea for a sci-if show out of nothing and it's just a coincidence that it shares a concept, format, multiple character archetypes, and a near-identical aesthetic with Star Trek: The Next Generation, then I don't know what to tell you.

Why does it matter? Fox's legal team isn't staffed by idiots. They wouldn't have allowed this show to be made if it were in any way illegal. So what if Set Macfarlane wanted to make his own TNG? Clearly people like it. I don't understand why the fact that is similar to Star Trek upsets you so much. Broadcast TV is already filled with the same show over and over again. Shlubby middle aged guy has attractive wife, what kind of wacky adventures will they get into? A bunch of friends live in apartments across the hall from each other, I wonder what kind of wacky adventures they will get into? Why are you choosing this hill to die on? You can't own a type of TV show, they are allowed to do this, and they should. If they can do Star Trek better than this new Star Trek, then they should.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some nerds had the same reaction to DS9. "They're ripping off Babylon 5! It's on a space station and has politics and even has a number in its name!! They should sue!!!" lol that's not how it works.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Also, there is a lot going on in this trailer fro the next few episodes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVisPe0s2lg

That's so much better trailer than the earlier ones.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Yeah sorry to break it to some of you but being a vaguely similar concept isn't enough for any meaningful infringement. The show totally apes from TNG but there is enough difference in the presentation that nothing is explicitly stolen. That stupid bit aside, I thought it was firmly okay. Tonally I was expecting it to be funnier, and I am not totally sure where it is going to land yet. Still, I am onboard for now, oddly enough less gritty scifi is kind of hard to find right now so this is a welcome change just to see something with a less dour tone.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Why does it matter? Fox's legal team isn't staffed by idiots. They wouldn't have allowed this show to be made if it were in any way illegal. So what if Set Macfarlane wanted to make his own TNG? Clearly people like it. I don't understand why the fact that is similar to Star Trek upsets you so much. Broadcast TV is already filled with the same show over and over again. Shlubby middle aged guy has attractive wife, what kind of wacky adventures will they get into? A bunch of friends live in apartments across the hall from each other, I wonder what kind of wacky adventures they will get into? Why are you choosing this hill to die on? You can't own a type of TV show, they are allowed to do this, and they should. If they can do Star Trek better than this new Star Trek, then they should.

Literally in the piece you quoted, I said I didn't care about the legalities of the issue. So I have no idea why you're talking about Fox's lawyers. But putting aside the subjective question of the actual quality of the show (it's loving awful in every regard btw), I do think that if you've had the opportunity to make something new and fresh and instead wholesale copy from a show made 30 years ago, yeah, I think that's pretty creatively bankrupt. Not sure how it's the hill I've chosen to die on rather than just an opinion I have about a TV show I decided to share on a web forum.

Also, while you really can't tell anything from trailers (from the trailers, I thought The Orville would be OK), from everything we've seen Star Trek: Discovery will almost certainly be better than this. If only because it's hard to see how it could possibly be worse.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But nobody will know because nobody subscribes to CBS' stupid streaming service.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
If it's loving awful in every regard how do you explain that I like the costumes huh buddy how'dya explain that?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I love Star Trek and I loved this. I hoped for Galaxy Quest and that's exactly what it gave me. It was heartwarming to see something made with so much obvious love for Trek, which is more than we've seen from any recent or upcoming official Trek offerings.

"Can I wear shorts to work?!??"

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Azhais posted:

But nobody will know because nobody subscribes to CBS' stupid streaming service.

Yeah, that will stop people in the internet age!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We get a TNG word count please?

TNG.

TNG.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Polo-Rican posted:

Speaking as an IP attorney, I can see the fingers of Fox's/McFarlane's attorneys in the show. No one gets that close to the line without going over without counsel. The riskiest move is calling her a Selayan.
(ETA: Didn't see that "we obviously have a big legal team" quote. I would love love love to see their notes.)

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 13, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does anyone know if there is a cheif engineer type character? Seems to be the one archetype really missing. I think I heard the Norm MacDonald blob guy might be the engineer?

Also for all the comparisons to TNG the characters are much closer to the Voyager crew.

Bortus so far is a lot more like Tuvok than Worf, and shares the same role as second officer. The robot is similar to 7 of 9 in it's superiority complex. The helmsman who is possibly the best pilot but kind of a gently caress up is a pretty apt description of Tom Paris. The security chief is actually the most original character I think. A cheif security officer who is perky, bubbly, and confident despite being very young, I can't really think of a character that fits that archetype. The closest would be Torres, who definitely isn't bubbly but is similarly energetic and confident, with super strength(though not to nearly the same degree). The ex-husband ex-wife somewgat antagonistic mom and dad of the ship of course could be analogue for Janeway and Chakotay. The black guy who seems nice but so far hasn't really done anything and I'm not sure exactly what his job is, Harry Kim. And like Voyager, The Orville is primarily an exploratory vessel. The doctor is really the only one that seems closer to a TNG character, some mix of Beverly, Pulaski, and a bit of Julian.

One of the major problems with Voyager, though, whose cast of characters sound interesting on paper, is they were directed to be as uninteresting and unemotional as possible because the producers thought this would make the aliens stand out more as aliens. The Orville seems quite the opposite, with characters being a bit over the top and more emotional than you would expect for a professional starship.

So yes, what I'm saying is this is not a TNG rip-off, it's a new Voyager but with characters who emote and have conflicts.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
"Aren't your species incredibly racist?"

That's a really natural thing to say and a subtle way of introducing a character trait

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Does anyone know if there is a cheif engineer type character? Seems to be the one archetype really missing. I think I heard the Norm MacDonald blob guy might be the engineer?

I think the robot was the head of science and engineering.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

vermin posted:

"Aren't your species incredibly racist?"

That's a really natural thing to say and a subtle way of introducing a character trait

I wish everybody asked that of every Vulcan in every Trek episode ever

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think the robot was the head of science and engineering.

I think he's just science officer.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

One of the things I liked is that there seem to be more actual non-humanoid aliens. For instance norm blob and the head of biology

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm kind of surprised critics seem to have hated it so much, since it seems basically fine but not actually good to me. One thing I think they're right about is when they say the show's being sold as a parody when it's really a sincere take on Star Trek but with jokes, and that can be tonally awkward, but I still thought it was funny so whatever. Wikipedia says production wrapped, so I guess that means we're getting a full season one way or another?

Did anyone else think it looked super cheap? I imagine it was actually a pretty expensive show to make, but I thought a lot of the visuals were kind of lovely. Maybe it's that HD is just unkind to this kind of show, or just that a tv show with a decent budget doesn't measure up to blockbuster movie (obviously), which is the only way we've seen Star Trek in recent years, but something just felt off to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Some nerds had the same reaction to DS9. "They're ripping off Babylon 5! It's on a space station and has politics and even has a number in its name!! They should sue!!!" lol that's not how it works.

Well it's not entire unfounded claim even if some people are stretching it a bit.