Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I'd rather read pithy dialog from internet males. It's fun to guess who will be the next zolthorg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Thread how about we talk about the Salmon Run event instead.

Not much to say until it happens but I hope it's own special event that recurs likensplatfest. And that they do something unique for it, like No Limit on Superbonuses! etc to get people to play salmon run all weekend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also personally, that sounds alright because I have been losing a crap ton of ranked games recently and could use a nice change of pace.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I wonder what the "items" are supposed to be. Probably just extra super bonuses as mentioned above, I doubt they would leave things lying around on the map.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

UGH my internet connection is crap for playing this game online and it's a really good game that I enjoy playing. Got dropped 5 times in a row before giving up...

I do think I've gotten better though. I'm more regularly ranked higher in the end of the turf war matches I run and I can generally do pretty well with just about any weapon. The Sting ray seems a bit broken... it charges super fast, though on the plus I'm fairly terrible at using anything that requires good aiming. It's a pity because I quite liked using the Sloshing machine.

How does one use the umbrella well? It's by far the coolest weapon, though I do find the umbrella launches just a tad slow for my liking. Also, after despising the blaster, I found the Rapid blaster to be a massive improvement, even if it's hard to get the two shots off necessary to kill someone if they know where you are. The land mines are pretty fun.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I wish they would implement some Salmon Run-specific character bonuses, like maybe being able to spend Power Eggs to upgrade your ink tank or buy a new trucker hat to carry an additional Special. Something to reward continued play within that mode alone.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Why do parents now worry about the difficulty of Nintendo games for kids, like at all

Kids aren't dumb, they can figure out just about any video game thing if you just leave them with it for a while. I was playing just about any N64 game I could get my hands on just out of infancy, was able to beat them, and I wasn't The Wizard or anything

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I like that there is specifically not any persistent progress in SR other than your rank meter. Keeps everyone on an equal playing field.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Escobarbarian posted:

How dare these scrubs not have mastered every weapon type in this children's game about shooting paint

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

raditts posted:

I doubt they would leave things lying around on the map.

Actually I wouldn't mind if it really is random crap on the ground and the start of an ARG or something

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is that shooting down the missile will cause the Drizzler to hide under its umbrella a lot earlier than it would have if you just left the missile alone.

lmao fuckin what? why would the game punish you like that for skilled play

so i guess if i can't line up the missile shot i should just leave it alone and focus the drizzler more?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

raditts posted:

I wonder what the "items" are supposed to be. Probably just extra super bonuses as mentioned above, I doubt they would leave things lying around on the map.

My guess is every now and then instead of a Golden Egg a Boss will drop a gatchapon with GrizzCo Gear inside.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

lmao fuckin what? why would the game punish you like that for skilled play

so i guess if i can't line up the missile shot i should just leave it alone and focus the drizzler more?

You have a good 5-10 seconds from when the balloon launches and when it creates the cloud, so if you're close enough you can get a couple shots in on the drizzler before you deflect the balloon.
Otherwise, the rain cloud is the only thing it can do to cause any disruption on the battlefield, so at worst you're no worse for wear. Also, it jumps to a new location after shooting two balloons which makes it an easy target while it's in the air.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My guess is every now and then instead of a Golden Egg a Boss will drop a gatchapon with GrizzCo Gear inside.

That would actually be pretty cool, I hope it's this.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Escobarbarian posted:

if only I was a smart person who knew that getting angry and spergy about less skilled players in a video game was a cool thing to do

I think it's actually because the VIDEO GAMES ARE FOR TODDLERS CHILL OUT thing that always comes up when someone complains about something sounds really dumb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

15-35...please send help

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/165299606129/we-received-an-urgent-notification-from-grizzco

some squid noises posted:

We received an urgent notification from Grizzco Industries:

“Due to…uh….tentacle difficulties, the weapons for the Salmon Run shift that starts Friday, September 15th at 5PM PT will be unknown until you clock in. And also, one of my personal belongings was accidentally mixed in to the weapon pool. If you happen you come across it, don’t even think about stealing it or go blabbing to the media about it. Failure to comply is grounds for immediate termination.”
New weapon imo, I guess it will take a while before we get it for Versus, because Sheldon 'has to collect data to replicate it'.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I assume we'll refer to this event type as "Tentacle Difficulty" until they give it a name?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's the Squeezer

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm reporting all of you to Mr.Grizz. You are creating an unhealthy work environment for your coworkers.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

It's a melee weapon, and they're bear claws

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The paint is your blood.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Prediction: The GrizzCo items are going to be cobbletech junk resembling Salmonid weaponry, confirming my Grizz Is A Salmonid theory.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Prediction: The GrizzCo items are going to be cobbletech junk resembling Salmonid weaponry, confirming my Grizz Is A Salmonid theory.

Im hoping mr grizz got his hands on a rainmaker, because that would be stupid fun to use in salmon run( or maybe old weapons from splattoon 1 complete with old specials)

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
What if the personal item isn't actually a weapon, and one person each round has to fight salmonids with Mr. Grizz's current favorite paperback.

(Although I actually am super curious what kind of weapon they'd reveal this way.)

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Mr. Frizz warns you not to blab about it because if you press the screenshot button while you have the secret weapon, you're put on probation and can't Salmon Run for a month.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If it's a Squeezer you'd be correct, that weapon looks cobbled together.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How do you figure?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How do you figure?

Because I'm terrible at correlating evidence.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mr. Grizz is a USSR era bear who was forgotten about as part of a cytogenetic experiment. It's why his office is full of old 80s tech

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mr. Grizz being a rogue Salmonid would make sense for a couple of reasons;

-Its an obvious explanation for why he always talks via proxy
-His inside knowledge lets him accurately predict Salmon Runs
-A bear has no meaning whatsoever to inklings but its probably a powerful symbol in the Salmonid's weird warrior culture, akin to an ancient demon
-Its just funny

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Because I'm terrible at correlating evidence.

In regards to Grizz being a cannibalistic Salmonoid I meant.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

In regards to Grizz being a cannibalistic Salmonoid I meant.

Internet Kraken said all the words I was going to.

Edit: Plus it explains how he knows their weaknesses.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah but bears are pretty clever. They know the right places to go when salmon spawn. It's so well planned out the drat things just jump right into their open mouths. Talk about knowing a weakness.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What incentive would there be for a salmonid to have you slaughter scores of his own kind and steal their eggs

I think we can safely apply Occam's Razor to this one

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A bear hiding in plain sight behind bear-themed paraphernalia is the funniest possibility and therefore canon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

raditts posted:

What incentive would there be for a salmonid to have you slaughter scores of his own kind and steal their eggs

Money.

Supercar Gautier posted:

A bear hiding in plain sight behind bear-themed paraphernalia is the funniest possibility and therefore canon.

Also acceptable.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm v easily amused and a bear paying you to beat up salmon is funny

I feel like they couldn't figure out how to render a bear in splatoon's art style and that's why he's a neat radioscratch that I guess Judd Exists so they have rendered at least one furry mammal

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 13, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah but bears are pretty clever. They know the right places to go when salmon spawn. It's so well planned out the drat things just jump right into their open mouths. Talk about knowing a weakness.

Obligatory;

raditts posted:

Getting filthy rich? Salmonids don't appear to have much individuality in their culture, and it revolves around breeding and killing. Despite this its implied that salmonids are smart enough to have individual desires, so its probably possible for them to gently caress off and go rogue.

Plus why would Mr. Grizz need to hide being a bear? Judd is another mammal that survived the apocalypse and he's basically treated like a living deity. Its not something that would have a stigma attached to it, as opposed to being part of the psychotic fish species.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Q/=E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

My headcanon is that he lives in the Northern Kremisphere