Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

gently caress that poo poo, I wanna know why there isn't any white cornerbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

incompetent posted:

I'm surprised with all the Caste Football you read you have to ask us

Edit: wonder what's going on over there...

"DT Justin Zimmer is an athletic freak who was extremely productive at the Division 2 level. A bad team that plays a 4-3 should grab him, play him and let him develop.

I find it hard to believe that he's not good enough to make a roster. I've seen some of his video. I think it's because he's white and plays defensive tackle, a position forbidden to white people.

Seeing white men not being given a fair shake really burns me up."

Oh gently caress I'm dying of laughter

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 13, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

incompetent posted:

because they suck

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

incompetent posted:

White don't cover black :colbert:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/BR_DougFarrar/status/907960488184528896

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lmao

MY QB

Nov 6, 2002

That's why everyone in a dive bar just pees on the floor.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

That's a real drat shame, makes one wonder how he would have been with good coaching.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
i like to pee in my hand

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That's why everyone in a dive bar just pees on the floor.

To avoid being mistaken for Blake Bortles?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Diqnol posted:

That's a real drat shame, makes one wonder how he would have been with good coaching.
I don't think it's too late to fix him.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

DVOA is insanely good again: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/week-1-dvoa-ratings

1. LAR
2. BAL
3. BUF
4. KC
5. CAR

23. SEA
24. NE

nah
Mar 16, 2009

WHOOPS posted:

Also, NFL Players of the Week:
AFC Offensive: Alex Smith, QB Chiefs, 28-35 for 368 yards and 4 TDs
NFC Offensive: Sam Bradford, QB Vikings, 27-32 346 yards and 3 TDs

See? There's a reason these guys went #1 overall

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I still don't know what DVOA or DYAR means.

e: KC #1 Offense, lol

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Eli Wiggum posted:

I don't think it's too late to fix him.

Are you hoping he comes to Denver?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Diqnol posted:

Are you hoping he comes to Denver?
Not right now, but he already has one half of his game down (scanning the field and making tough throws) while someone like Paxton Lynch seems like a lost cause.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

No Butt Stuff posted:

I still don't know what DVOA or DYAR means.

e: KC #1 Offense, lol

Defense-adjusted Value Over Average
Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement

DVOA is an efficiency measure--how good are you at getting/preventing first downs/scores on a per-play basis, versus the average team
DYAR is an attempt to do WAR for football

They're OK as measures. DVOA has decent predictive power for wins, but has some problems (it's also mostly crap until week 10) and FO isn't as transparent as they need to be about how it's calculated.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
So apparently the NFL hosed up I'm nominated the wrong Steve Smith for the Hall of Fame. This amuses me for some reason.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--The right one isn't even eligible yet. Like, people just saw Steve Smith and voted for him.

These are also apparently fans and not actual NFL people though, which makes it slightly less funny.

TheChirurgeon posted:

DVOA has decent predictive power for wins, but has some problems (it's also mostly crap until week 10) and FO isn't as transparent as they need to be about how it's calculated.

Schatz is also hilariously passive aggressive over the whole thing and it make me laugh every time.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

zimbomonkey posted:

So apparently the NFL hosed up I'm nominated the wrong Steve Smith for the Hall of Fame. This amuses me for some reason.

That mediocre Giants/Eagles receiver?

Nov 6, 2002

I miss the TFF power rankings thread.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Grittybeard posted:

Schatz is also hilariously passive aggressive over the whole thing and it make me laugh every time.

Also true. That stupid rider they put in every DVOA rankings article is particularly cringe-worthy

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Isn't DVOA useless until later in the season?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

Pretty much. Normalizes around week 10.

Nov 6, 2002

No. The LA Rams are the best team in football.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I miss the TFF power rankings thread.

Who was it who was a Niners fan who had the crazy rankings? He also hated Kwame Harris.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Did anyone *like* Kwame Harris?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah, they also run a DAVE column of stats which normalizes DVOA to preseason predictions which is basically closer to a "normal" power ranking article, and so is also incredibly useless.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I feel like Schatz was relatively content with the combination of guest articles for ESPN and Football Outsiders being Mike Tanier's starting point but then PFF coming onto the scene and quickly earning media/team legitimacy turned him bitter.

Well, even more bitter than a guy whose entire impetus for creating DVOA was to have a stat that says the Patriots are great.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Blitz7x posted:

Yes. They try and fill in some gaps with preseason data/predictions early on, but it doesn't work all that well.

WHOOPS posted:

I feel like Schatz was relatively content with the combination of guest articles for ESPN and Football Outsiders being Mike Tanier's starting point but then PFF coming onto the scene and quickly earning media/team legitimacy turned him bitter.

Well, even more bitter than a guy whose entire impetus for creating DVOA was to have a stat that says the Patriots are great.

I can't blame him too much for that; I'd be bitter too because PFF is absolute garbage-tier nonsense

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also true. That stupid rider they put in every DVOA rankings article is particularly cringe-worthy

There's also this passive aggressive "gently caress off" in Audibles at the Line

Football Outsiders posted:

While these e-mails are generally written with Audibles in mind, they do not represent a standard review of all the games each week. That means we aren't going to cover every game, or every important play. We watch the games that we, as fans, are interested in watching, so your favorite team's game might not be covered to your fullest desires or even at all. (If you are a Steelers or Patriots fan, you are probably in luck; if you are a Bills fan, not so much.) We have no intention of adding new authors solely to cover every game on a given Sunday, nor will we watch a different game from the ones that we're personally interested in watching just to ensure that Audibles covers every game.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

axeil posted:

Who was it who was a Niners fan who had the crazy rankings? He also hated Kwame Harris.
Crimson Ghost? He would also always rank the Jaguars #1

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

WHOOPS posted:

There's also this passive aggressive "gently caress off" in Audibles at the Line

enh, that bit never struck me as passive aggressive in the same way that their "form letter" response to DVOA articles that references "chat-acceptable spelling" is

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

Yeah, I like audibles at the line, but FO in general is some fairly useful content on a decade expired content platform.

Nov 6, 2002

Schatz is a passive aggressive football nerd. We should buy him an account.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
He looks like he hasn't showered for a week. It's loving gross looking, learn some hygiene man

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Durandal1707 posted:

He looks like he hasn't showered for a week. It's loving gross looking, learn some hygiene man

Schatz is a passive aggressive football nerd. We should buy him an account.

Sounds like he already has one!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Schatz lives a few blocks away from me, which is kind of weird.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

enh, that bit never struck me as passive aggressive in the same way that their "form letter" response to DVOA articles that references "chat-acceptable spelling" is

It's just a lovely way to dismiss people wanting to see more content in Audibles at the Line, even if it's not as bad as the DVOA stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I like audibles at the line, but FO in general is some fairly useful content on a decade expired content platform.

I expect sometime in 2025 he will discover Wordpress right as they are superceded.

• Locked thread