Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bunnyofdoom posted:

One of the things I liked is that there seem to be more actual non-humanoid aliens. For instance norm blob and the head of biology

I want an alien that's literally just a forehead. Like a normal human forehead, but nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is that one of your experiments?

No you racist idiot that's a scientist with seven PhDs

also, young peppy security chief is most like Ezri maybe, but I generally agree with the VOY comparisons. The captain and first officer are even vaguely opposed forces like Janeway and ACOOCHYMOYA and it will be all but ignored soon enough probably except when a writer wants to plot around it and then they will be stranded on a planet and gently caress.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

vermin posted:

"Aren't your species incredibly racist?"

That's a really natural thing to say and a subtle way of introducing a character trait

To be fair, it led straight into, "What are you doing here if you're so racist?"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CPColin posted:

To be fair, it led straight into, "What are you doing here if you're so racist?"

Did they ever explain why the sole representative of an AI species, or that rare member of the super-strong woman's species, both of them apparently highly valuable to the Union, ended up on Seth MacFarlane's ship of fools rather than their equivalent of the Enterprise?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It makes sense that the Union would both A) want a member of his species in the fleet, and B) want him on a relatively unimportant ship, both wanting better relations with the race and also him being open that the only reason he's joining is to observe and report.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did they ever explain why the sole representative of an AI species, or that rare member of the super-strong woman's species, both of them apparently highly valuable to the Union, ended up on Seth MacFarlane's ship of fools rather than their equivalent of the Enterprise?

No they did not explain this

Possibly because it's episode 1, possibly because it doesn't matter

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

A) so robot doesn't steal tech or actual strategy

B) probably because she's just out of academy, nobody is that good.

C) there will probably be some actual in-universe reason that is depressing and hilarious

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Also, there is a lot going on in this trailer fro the next few episodes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVisPe0s2lg

That's a legit good trailer, with probably a much closer to reality feel for the series. That should honestly have been the first trailer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

C) there will probably be some actual in-universe reason that is depressing and hilarious

Makes sense. Wasn't nitpicking, just couldn't remember if it came up. Good point that he's openly a spy gathering information.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Would not be surprised if after however long of him being condescending and superior to everyone, they meet one of his ships and find out he's the dumbest robot man on their planet by reputation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think he's just science officer.

He was the one charged with the mandatory "get the repairs done to the damaged ship".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Bloop posted:

The captain and first officer are even vaguely opposed forces like Janeway and ACOOCHYMOYA and it will be all but ignored soon enough probably except when a writer wants to plot around it and then they will be stranded on a planet and gently caress.

In the next episode, they get captured and put in a 'zoo' together, presumably to get them to bump uglies.

"A dude' posted:

Did anyone else think it looked super cheap? I imagine it was actually a pretty expensive show to make, but I thought a lot of the visuals were kind of lovely. Maybe it's that HD is just unkind to this kind of show, or just that a tv show with a decent budget doesn't measure up to blockbuster movie (obviously), which is the only way we've seen Star Trek in recent years, but something just felt off to me.

The ships flying around and shooting space beams at each other looked pretty good, but when Super Strong Girl was jumping through the air and throwing stuff it looked a bit cheesy. I'm guessing they outsourced the former to a quality SFX studio but tried to to do the latter themselves.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, The Orville itself is a physical model, so it's going to look good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Well, The Orville itself is a physical model, so it's going to look good.

Not while it was Hugging the Donkey. That was CG.

They're doing both.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just watched the pilot. It felt about as wonky as pilots usually are, but I feel like they're onto something. Some of the humor felt a little forced, but I feel like if they start figuring out how to make the jokes arise more organically as a result of plot tension, it could fire on on four thrusters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Bloop posted:

Not while it was Hugging the Donkey. That was CG.

They're doing both.

Not much different than TNG days when there was a 6 foot, 4 foot, and 2 foot Enterprise model depending on what the shot required.

The big thing is even the CGI models would be based off of scans of the physical model rather than just existing as CG. That alone can make a huge difference in the quality of effects.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think Supergirl is girl Chekov, and she might be there because she breaks a lot of poo poo.

I have no evidence.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You mean like Chekov the Starfleet officer or a Chekov's gun, like the playwright?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Security Officer flat out says that she (and her species in general) are fast tracked since not a lot of them join up so she might be on The Orville just to minimize any damage while learning the ropes of the job.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Another bit I don't remember: do we know whether all of the characters are new to the ship or not? The captain, his ex, the helmsman, and the doctor are all new, and the soda guy was explicitly a holdover, but don't remember if it came up for the robot, the strong lady, or the infrequent urinator.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

BexGu posted:

The Security Officer flat out says that she (and her species in general) are fast tracked since not a lot of them join up so she might be on The Orville just to minimize any damage while learning the ropes of the job.

She's young so I assumed that meant fast tracked through academy. I don't imagine they'd station her on the best poo poo ever even if she graduated quickly. Quite a comment on Wesley, actually. ;)

I could be completely wrong but I enjoy speculating

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 13, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Another bit I don't remember: do we know whether all of the characters are new to the ship or not? The captain, his ex, the helmsman, and the doctor are all new, and the soda guy was explicitly a holdover, but don't remember if it came up for the robot, the strong lady, or the infrequent urinator.

I'm pretty sure the crew was all onboard together already except the new characters you mentioned.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I'm pretty sure the crew was all onboard together already except the new characters you mentioned.

That would make sense and actually contribute to the answer to my previous question. I'm pretty sure the episode answered this one, did the previous captain retire, get promoted, or die? I wonder if we'll get to see him/her at some point, assuming they're not dead. A new captain having to step into an already established ship and crew isn't something we've seen as a core dynamic in Trek, just in one-offs when someone temporarily took command of the Enterprise, or that TNG episode where Data temporarily got a ship for some mission.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sir Kodiak posted:

That would make sense and actually contribute to the answer to my previous question. I'm pretty sure the episode answered this one, did the previous captain retire, get promoted, or die?

I think they said he retired

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I think I see what's going on here. They're going to start with 'Basically TNG,' and then when some cool sci-fi poo poo with implications comes up, they're going to follow those implications to their horrifying and absurd extremes. One of the big things that makes the later seasons of 'American Dad' work well is that they're willing to desecrate their characters and their status quo. If they start with 'Basically TNG' and then apply that same nothing-is-sacred sensibility everywhere, and make jokes where sometimes the punchline is existential horror, it could be great. Kind of a slow start, but I'm optimistic about where this could be going.

Like, remember that TNG episode, where Data gets kidnapped by some ultra-wealthy sentient-being trafficker, and there's a bunch of character drama, and eventually Data makes a climactic decision to shoot his captor with a space gun - but then at the last second, the Enterprise crew comes to the rescue and teleports Data out, so his innocence is still intact.

Or, all of those other times in all of those other episodes, where it looks like the crew is going to have to choose between two different bad options in a complicated ethical sci-fi dilemma, and they deliberate over their poo poo, Spock and Bones both weigh in about the right thing to do, but then someone makes a clever deduction or does a science, and they find a third way that makes everyone happy. That's probably not going to happen on this series. Or, it's going to happen with some horrifying implications, like everybody dying in an alternate timeline, or being replaced by clones who definitely don't experience a continuous consciousness.

I'm almost certain that the Racist Superior Robot guy is going to turn out to actually be as awesome as he thinks he is, and the sci-fi social concept they're exploring there is, 'what if there was a racist whose worldview was rationally justified?' And maybe their answer is that other life still has some value anyways, and also you can laugh at it.

I'm expecting Seth MacFarlane's character to maybe seem like he's shaping up to be a self-insert Captain Sue, and then get broken and humiliated. If the character doesn't get broken and humbled and shat on by the universe, the show is poo poo. If he gets back together with his ex, that's bad. If his ex gets in a healthy relationship with a tentacle alien, and he finds out that the alien gives much better oral than him, and he has to re-negotiate a working relationship around that and learns to respect the other guy, that could be good.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 13, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

StringOfLetters posted:

I think I see what's going on here. They're going to start with 'Basically TNG,' and then when some cool sci-fi poo poo with implications comes up, they're going to follow those implications to their horrifying and absurd extremes. One of the big things that makes the later seasons of 'American Dad' work well is that they're willing to desecrate their characters and their status quo. If they start with 'Basically TNG' and then apply that same nothing-is-sacred sensibility everywhere, and make jokes where sometimes the punchline is existential horror, it could be great. Kind of a slow start, but I'm optimistic about where this could be going.

Like, remember that TNG episode, where Data gets kidnapped by some ultra-wealthy sentient-being trafficker, and there's a bunch of character drama, and eventually Data makes a climactic decision to shoot his captor with a space gun - but then at the last second, the Enterprise crew comes to the rescue and teleports Data out, so his innocence is still intact.

Or, all of those other times in all of those other episodes, where it looks like the crew is going to have to choose between two different bad options in a complicated ethical sci-fi dilemma, and they deliberate over their poo poo, Spock and Bones both weigh in about the right thing to do, but then someone makes a clever deduction or does a science, and they find a third way that makes everyone happy. That's probably not going to happen on this series. Or, it's going to happen with some horrifying implications, like everybody dying in an alternate timeline, or being replaced by clones who definitely don't experience a continuous consciousness.

I'm almost certain that the Racist Superior Robot guy is going to turn out to actually be as awesome as he thinks he is, and the sci-fi social concept they're exploring there is, 'what if there was a racist whose worldview was rationally justified?' And maybe their answer is that other life still has some value anyways, and also you can laugh at it.

I'm expecting Seth MacFarlane's character to maybe seem like he's shaping up to be a self-insert Captain Sue, and then get broken and humiliated. If the character doesn't get broken and humbled and shat on by the universe, the show is poo poo.

While that's one believable prediction of where the show could go, I'd be shocked if the creators actually thought that far ahead.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

That said, I'd be perfectly happy if the show was content to be largely episodic, 80's style.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

While that's one believable prediction of where the show could go, I'd be shocked if the creators actually thought that far ahead.

Oh, I'm sure they've given due consideration to tentacle sex.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I know people tend to have not liked the penis jokes, but when the blue alien comes up, see Mercer, is shocked, then a beat of silence, then his head ejaculates blue goo everywhere, I laughed super hard. The timing was just superb and was a well executed visual gag.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I know people tend to have not liked the penis jokes, but when the blue alien comes up, see Mercer, is shocked, then a beat of silence, then his head ejaculates blue goo everywhere, I laughed super hard. The timing was just superb and was a well executed visual gag.

IMO, they should have just cut the scene right there

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Drink-Mix Man posted:

IMO, they should have just cut the scene right there

Yeah, cutting to one year later right from there would have been more effective.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The penis jokes were fine. I just argued that they reduce the potential audience and I'm not sure they're good enough to be worth the tradeoff

Also, I really took that more as zoidberg panic ink than sex spooge but the mystery is part of the joke I guess

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

Also, I really took that more as zoidberg panic ink than sex spooge but the mystery is part of the joke I guess

It's definitely an either/or/maybe both type thing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Not much different than TNG days when there was a 6 foot, 4 foot, and 2 foot Enterprise model depending on what the shot required.

The big thing is even the CGI models would be based off of scans of the physical model rather than just existing as CG. That alone can make a huge difference in the quality of effects.
I don't know if it makes a difference but it's the other way around. They 3D printed their CG model.

StringOfLetters posted:

I think I see what's going on here. They're going to start with 'Basically TNG,' and then when some cool sci-fi poo poo with implications comes up, they're going to follow those implications to their horrifying and absurd extremes.
:words:
Wow, no, that's miles away from the good feeling fun science adventure they're going for.

I mean, I like Rick and Morty too, but that's totally not what this is.

The whole point of this show is that there's too much dark cynicism out there, and we need something to look up to too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Just watched this, with reservations from the reviews, and I actually kind of like it. Especially if there's going to be the same growing the beard thing as actual Trek.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I predict there will an episode where Gordon hooks up with Alora and tries to break up without getting murdered by her after she calls him her boyfriend, awkwardly failing and making the relationship progressively more serious.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm watching it now, they just got on the ship and so far it's been good except for lining up all the officers and giving background about themselves.

Edit: lol the Farpoint style first officer pick up.

Edit 2: laughing at the science building exterior which is presumably somewhere at a university in LA, especially with those little concrete mushroom seats out front.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 13, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

3 DONG HORSE posted:

She's young so I assumed that meant fast tracked through academy. I don't imagine they'd station her on the best poo poo ever even if she graduated quickly. Quite a comment on Wesley, actually. ;)

I could be completely wrong but I enjoy speculating

I took it as she got fast tracked through the academy AND rank. Could be a commentary later on about pushing people to positions just because of their background but the first episode make her pretty competent so probably won't come up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was also her own comment so she might just be humble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Krill helmets are just like in Stargate.

Kree!