Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fil5000 posted:

Hopefully. But they'll still waltz into another position that pays almost as much. I mean Fred Goodwin walked straight out of the wreckage of RBS into another job, if he could do that then I've no doubt these three will find something.

The personal networks people at this level have are amazing. They extend to their children as well, which is how they maintain their hold on most of the wealth in our country. There's nothing more important to them than maintaining separation between their kind and the rest of us, even if it means supporting fuckups and criminals.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I fired my therapist. She wasn't doing anything. At my last visit I sat down and said "I don't know what I'm supposed to be talking about" and she remained silent. Just watched me. It made me really uncomfortable. I managed to come up with something to fill the dead air but I'd had enough.

If I'm going to spend my time doing this I need the therapist to do more than just sit there. I would like there to be some sort of structure, a way for the therapist's expertise to be felt. I'm not interested in taking 45 minutes out of my work day to talk. I've done too much talking about my problems. Now I want to do something.

The next day I sent her an email saying that I was going to explore other options for therapy and would not be returning. A few hours later she sent me an email that all my claims had been rejected by my health plan and that she was going to bill me. She added a threat that if I didn't pay in full within 10 days she would send the debt to collection.

I called my health plan and not only was I pre-approved for my visits but there was no record of any claim, and no record of anyone calling about me. When I emailed this back to the therapist she was evasive and then asked if I would ever return for more visits.

I think she needs therapy.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Isn't that insider trading? That's usually worth a brief stay at a prison ten times as luxurious as anywhere I have ever lived.

Gotta prove it actually happened. If nobody can prove they knew about the breach (and they're executives, if any proof existed it would have been destroyed already) they can't be convicted of insider trading.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But really, it's not a bad survival strategy.

It just really sucks if you're on the outside of their little circle of nepotism.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Hopefully. But they'll still waltz into another position that pays almost as much. I mean Fred Goodwin walked straight out of the wreckage of RBS into another job, if he could do that then I've no doubt these three will find something.

Oh god, Fred Goodwin. There's a name I loathe. I was caught up in the tidal wave when that consortium took over ABN AMRO. I was part of the global security team, and they dismantled a functioning and effective security framework we had developed over 5 years without a second thought because we were "overlooked" when finding US properties for offices.

Prior to that, it was the best job working with the best team.

I'm still salty about that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh god, Fred Goodwin. There's a name I loathe. I was caught up in the tidal wave when that consortium took over ABN AMRO. I was part of the global security team, and they dismantled a functioning and effective security framework we had developed over 5 years without a second thought because we were "overlooked" when finding US properties for offices.

Prior to that, it was the best job working with the best team.

I'm still salty about that.

I was part of Manufacturing and went largely unscathed until 2014 when my entire department was gutted. I met a few people who were former AMRO after the takeover and they had nothing good to say about life post RBS.

There were a ton of myths surrounding Goodwin's temper and patience. The only one I can attest to is that when we expected him to visit our offices we were instructed that a lift should be held for his use on whatever floor he happened to be on at any given time. Our office was four stories tall.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
What's the god drat point of sending a loving ticket in when you're going to call less than 5 minutes after you hit send?

:sigh:

I hate users.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We have equipment that requires internet connectivity in one of our remote locations. The main building has a DSL line to it. Facilities decided to move the equipment to a bathroom across a field from the main building, and are requesting that I immediately address the fact that it's not on the internet anymore.

Thanks for including me in this plan, your ticket is low priority at the bottom of a queue because I don't have time to magically float internet to a new building in a single day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why aren't you being a team player?

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Dick Trauma posted:

That is truly lovely behaviour for a professional. Are they a member of any professional bodies? That's the kind of action that should be reported.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

Why aren't you being a team player?

Yessir, sorry sir, I'll run the packets back and forth all day sir

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like someone needs to whip up a pringles can wifi extender.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We have equipment that requires internet connectivity in one of our remote locations. The main building has a DSL line to it. Facilities decided to move the equipment to a bathroom across a field from the main building, and are requesting that I immediately address the fact that it's not on the internet anymore.

Thanks for including me in this plan, your ticket is low priority at the bottom of a queue because I don't have time to magically float internet to a new building in a single day.

You need to get that bathroom into The Cloud.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dick Trauma posted:

The personal networks people at this level have are amazing. They extend to their children as well, which is how they maintain their hold on most of the wealth in our country. There's nothing more important to them than maintaining separation between their kind and the rest of us, even if it means supporting fuckups and criminals.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I fired my therapist. She wasn't doing anything. At my last visit I sat down and said "I don't know what I'm supposed to be talking about" and she remained silent. Just watched me. It made me really uncomfortable. I managed to come up with something to fill the dead air but I'd had enough.

If I'm going to spend my time doing this I need the therapist to do more than just sit there. I would like there to be some sort of structure, a way for the therapist's expertise to be felt. I'm not interested in taking 45 minutes out of my work day to talk. I've done too much talking about my problems. Now I want to do something.

The next day I sent her an email saying that I was going to explore other options for therapy and would not be returning. A few hours later she sent me an email that all my claims had been rejected by my health plan and that she was going to bill me. She added a threat that if I didn't pay in full within 10 days she would send the debt to collection.

I called my health plan and not only was I pre-approved for my visits but there was no record of any claim, and no record of anyone calling about me. When I emailed this back to the therapist she was evasive and then asked if I would ever return for more visits.

I remember a girl I dated telling me about someone she met while traveling in Europe. This person had an internship lined up at the UN and had connections and money out the wazoo. It's less a class system and more a caste system, they have opportunities that are just beyond anything you or I could ever dream of.

My last therapist acted a lot like yours. She expected me to lead the session and never communicated how I should be approaching these sessions. She actually got really agitated with me by the 3rd session. Lady, I don't know how to therapy, that why I'm seeing you, if you want this to take a certain form you need to communicate that and show me. I was merely going with the style the one I saw in college used. I think I'm worse off having seen her than if I had simply done nothing.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

The second question to ask a therapist after "do you take my insurance?" is "do you have a therapist?" Every therapist should have a therapeutic supervisor or some other support. There's no way they sit and listed to other people's crazy day in and say out without getting affected. Sort of like in 12 step fellowships, you want to make sure your sponsor has a sponsor and is not just going it alone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

tomapot posted:

The second question to ask a therapist after "do you take my insurance?" is "do you have a therapist?" Every therapist should have a therapeutic supervisor or some other support. There's no way they sit and listed to other people's crazy day in and say out without getting affected. Sort of like in 12 step fellowships, you want to make sure your sponsor has a sponsor and is not just going it alone.

Maybe I can just ask if she keeps any booze in her desk.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
It's me. I'm the poo poo that pisses me off today.

I had a user who wanted to know if we had some licences for a thing (mentioned the software in another thread). Spent some time looking for information about it, got nothing. Then today someone found the information and forwarded the original email to me.

And I, being excited about solving the issue, immediately sent it on to the user.

The email had the admin account credentials for the software. And the vendor is the only one who can change the password. I'm more upset with myself than anyone else is upset with me. It was an absolutely stupid mistake and there's not really any excuse for it. If I'd read the whole email there's even a "Don't forward this to staff" message. The only thing I can do is be more diligent in the future.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Too late to delete it from their inbox?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

Too late to delete it from their inbox?

Waaaaaaaaaay too late. I only found out because someone from the application team came over and was like "Hey, you sent this out. It had that information in it. That's bad." Pretty sure that's because the user emailed him asking for help with the software.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's not too late to do something worse to distract from the first mistake.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We just found some USB mouse jigglers installed on some computers that doctors use here at the hospital. That's a very very VERY big no no and might result in some people losing their jobs. Good times!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

Buy a folding bike, during lunch take a 45 min ride around. Even if you just loop your building's parking lot. Get outside, sweat a little, and clear your head.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

mattfl posted:

We just found some USB mouse jigglers installed on some computers that doctors use here at the hospital. That's a very very VERY big no no and might result in some people losing their jobs. Good times!

You guys don't have device control?

Maybe the jigglers don't show up, I'm not sure, but I would think they have to.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MF_James posted:

We do, and these show up as normal HID Compliant mice so they are undetectable so far. There's no executable they run or anything. Very tricky things

https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/mouse_jiggler/

These are the ones we found. High reviews on amazon for being undetectable by IT departments lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Buy a folding bike, during lunch take a 45 min ride around. Even if you just loop your building's parking lot. Get outside, sweat a little, and clear your head.

I eat quickly so I spend about half my lunch hour walking around the neighborhood. I also go to the gym first thing each weekday morning and 6-7 times per week overall. So I have the exercise part of mental health taken care of. I expect I've visited the gym about 200 times so far this year... :shepicide:

EDIT: I had to do an OEM restore on a laptop with Windows 8.1. In the first Windows Update pass from WSUS it's pulling down 172 updates.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

I can't imagine the nightmare that needing to keep track of mice serial numbers would cause. It's surprising that the Enterprise versions of Windows can't do something to detect obvious non-human mouse inputs though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

I can't imagine the nightmare that needing to keep track of mice serial numbers would cause. It's surprising that the Enterprise versions of Windows can't do something to detect obvious non-human mouse inputs though.

I mean, device control isn't about serial number tracking it's about the hardware ID, but if it shows up as the same loving hardware ID as the mice they use, well, you're ownt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ring up kensington and ask them to come up with a way to physically lock access to USB ports.

It's an arms race and you gotta keep a step ahead. :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

I eat quickly so I spend about half my lunch hour walking around the neighborhood. I also go to the gym first thing each weekday morning and 6-7 times per week overall. So I have the exercise part of mental health taken care of. I expect I've visited the gym about 200 times so far this year... :shepicide:

EDIT: I had to do an OEM restore on a laptop with Windows 8.1. In the first Windows Update pass from WSUS it's pulling down 172 updates.

Good. Are you getting the likely insurance reimbursement? It helps to know that each gym visit is putting money back in your pocket.

mattfl posted:

I never knew this was a thing. Wow, that's a bizarre thing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Good. Are you getting the likely insurance reimbursement? It helps to know that each gym visit is putting money back in your pocket.

I never knew this was a thing. Wow, that's a bizarre thing.

It's because doctor's working in cerner doing charting stuff on patients like to walk away from their computers and don't lock them. We have a screensaver/lock computer policy and they get annoyed when they get back to their machine that they now have to enter a password to get back into it.

They are going to be even more annoyed that they are violating multiple corporate policies and could loose their job for circumventing our security policies...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This was also communicated to us shortly before EOD so I'm going to be Talking to people tomorrow.

It ended up bouncing between "it won't be that bad, we should barely get any alerts once we get the kinks worked out" and "well, I'm not happy about it either". The other engineers were equally unhappy and I can't tell if our manager was just not getting why it's a problem regardless of how few times we actually get paged while on call, or gets it but is trying to downplay what "being on call" means because if you only work 5 minutes while you're on call then you barely worked at all, right?

The meeting ended up puttering out with people repeating themselves, realizing they were repeating themselves and just...stopping. I could just about hear the click of at least two of the other devs checking out and I'm going to touch base with one of my recruiters just in case. Either way I'm going to try and snag a chat with someone higher up the chain but it was probably already too late before the email notifying us of the change went out yesterday-- even if they admit it's a mistake today, they're going to have to realize it's enough of a mistake to be worth the extra money it'll take to undo it and not just enough of a mistake to wish they hadn't done it in the first place.

Sure hope it was worth the massive morale hit, I'm sure this won't have any appreciable affect on productivity!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

I mean, device control isn't about serial number tracking it's about the hardware ID, but if it shows up as the same loving hardware ID as the mice they use, well, you're ownt.

Sorry, I meant hardware ID. It's feasible to track them for lots of things but I imagine for keyboards and mice it would be like painting the Forth Bridge.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Sorry, I meant hardware ID. It's feasible to track them for lots of things but I imagine for keyboards and mice it would be like painting the Forth Bridge.

Not if you buy standard issue devices. We do HID based device control on 2200+ locations and it works fine.

Those jigglers must do an HID passthrough or spoof the HID of whatever mouse is plugged into them.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 13, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Waaaaaaaaaay too late. I only found out because someone from the application team came over and was like "Hey, you sent this out. It had that information in it. That's bad." Pretty sure that's because the user emailed him asking for help with the software.
Just do what people on Twitter do. If you send something regretful, claim you were hacked.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

We do, and these show up as normal HID Compliant mice so they are undetectable so far. There's no executable they run or anything. Very tricky things

https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/mouse_jiggler/

These are the ones we found. High reviews on amazon for being undetectable by IT departments lol

https://www.amazon.com/CRU-30200-0100-0011-WiebeTech-Mouse-Jiggler/dp/B000O3S0PK posted:

Question: Can this device be detected from an employer monitoring system ? And will the Jiggler work if the system i use doesnt allow me to download software?
Answer: Yes. Anytime a device is plugged in, a Windows Event Log is created. The log will show things like the brand, make, and model of the device. IT staff can create an alert anytime a new device is detected and can block unknown devices. Symantec and McAfee can do this. However, this is an advanced topic even among IT. Many organizations do not setup alerts for this, let alone block, although with ransomware at an all time high, most orgs are moving towards a white list policy.

How do i know? I'm an Information Security Analyst. I've personally created these types of alerts and block rules. Same methods block the Hak5 rubber ducky (key logger that appears as generic keyboard).
:allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

Report her immediately to your state's licensure board.

Find another therapist, check for complaints before you make an appointment.

Sucks that you got a lovely therapist; they're supposed to guide your conversation, not just sit there inert.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah can I be honest, I thought this was the realm of TV therapists. This is like what you see on TV, where the therapist just watches you patiently until you just talk yourself into realizing all of your problems are due to unresolved issues with your mother or something.

I mean I'm not in therapy, so I'm out of line even saying this much, but I feel like if I'm paying you, then you're kinda responsible for guiding the conversation, not me. I can talk to myself without dropping $75/h.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Mmmm me thinks they aren't doing REAL device control, we utilize symantec (it's poo poo yes) and it actually does a really good job, we white-list devices we purchase, every so often they have a new "version" that is the same thing but a new HID, we just add that in, everything else gets blocked and our team gets an email alert.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I mean I'm not in therapy, so I'm out of line even saying this much, but I feel like if I'm paying you, then you're kinda responsible for guiding the conversation, not me. I can talk to myself without dropping $75/h.

That's what's supposed to happen. I misunderstood what Dick was saying when he first mentioned this.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MF_James posted:

Mmmm me thinks they aren't doing REAL device control, we utilize symantec (it's poo poo yes) and it actually does a really good job, we white-list devices we purchase, every so often they have a new "version" that is the same thing but a new HID, we just add that in, everything else gets blocked and our team gets an email alert.

Let's play which one is the real mouse and which one is the fake mouse jiggler.

there are 2 fake ones here and 1 real one.

There is no way we could white list all the "approved" mice in our company. We don't have a standard mouse we give everyone and people are allowed to bring their own wireless mice. Our corporate data security team has blocked plenty of these mouse jigglers already but even they haven't seen one that doesn't load some sort of exe that's simple to block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

mattfl posted:

Let's play which one is the real mouse and which one is the fake mouse jiggler.

there are 2 fake ones here and 1 real one.

There is no way we could white list all the "approved" mice in our company. We don't have a standard mouse we give everyone and people are allowed to bring their own wireless mice. Our corporate data security team has blocked plenty of these mouse jigglers already but even they haven't seen one that doesn't load some sort of exe that's simple to block.

Device control doesn't work if you don't control devices, you need to either lock down the amount of devices you are handing out to a sane number and block everything that does not explicitly have the HIDs in your policy.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you guys are doing device control backwards, you shouldn't be blocking offending devices you find, you should be blocking everything and allowing only specific devices.