Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

IT professionals use the Mouse Jiggler to prevent password dialog boxes due to screensavers or sleep mode after an employee is terminated and they need to maintain access to their computer.

O rly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Having a contractor pull new wires for some cubes

Sure just use whatever the gently caress color you want. Ugh.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MF_James posted:

Device control doesn't work if you don't control devices, you need to either lock down the amount of devices you are handing out to a sane number and block everything that does not explicitly have the HIDs in your policy.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you guys are doing device control backwards, you shouldn't be blocking offending devices you find, you should be blocking everything and allowing only specific devices.

I hear ya and I'm glad that isn't my job. We have a corporate data security team that handles that throughout our 20+ hospitals nationwide. Hopefully they can come up with something but so far they haven't.

edit: And also, that seems like something that should have been setup from the beginning. I'm afraid it's probably far to late to implement the block everything allow on request plan

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 13, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I typically have an intern sit at the desk and wiggle their mouse to bypass security, but these can save me that hassle.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Having a contractor pull new wires for some cubes

Sure just use whatever the gently caress color you want. Ugh.

you are literally bike shedding here, why does the color of a cable you'll never see matter?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

Let's play which one is the real mouse and which one is the fake mouse jiggler.

there are 2 fake ones here and 1 real one.

There is no way we could white list all the "approved" mice in our company. We don't have a standard mouse we give everyone and people are allowed to bring their own wireless mice. Our corporate data security team has blocked plenty of these mouse jigglers already but even they haven't seen one that doesn't load some sort of exe that's simple to block.
the last one, with the power management tab

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

the last one, with the power management tab

Winnar!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

you are literally bike shedding here, why does the color of a cable you'll never see matter?

All the other cable is blue. You'd be okay with pulling that bundle into a GENERIC_SMB_PATCHPANEL like this?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

kinda obvious tbh, why would a mouse need several driver revisions + power management

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kinda obvious tbh, why would a mouse need several driver revisions + power management

No wait, the real one is the one with power management lol

It's a bluetooth mouse.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

mattfl posted:

I hear ya and I'm glad that isn't my job. We have a corporate data security team that handles that throughout our 20+ hospitals nationwide. Hopefully they can come up with something but so far they haven't.

edit: And also, that seems like something that should have been setup from the beginning. I'm afraid it's probably far to late to implement the block everything allow on request plan

It would not be easy to switch to, but not impossible, you need buy-in from higher ups (and this would be a GOOD situation to use to push that forward), you get a list of acceptable devices (1-3 keyboards, 1-3 mice, and hopefully not a lot of other required USB stuff) you give staff 2 weeks to turn in their non-compliant stuff and swap to compliant stuff and then flip the switch, if people's poo poo doesn't work, they should have read their email and done things. There will be crying and teeth gnashing, but sometimes you just gotta do poo poo that people don't like.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MF_James posted:

It would not be easy to switch to, but not impossible, you need buy-in from higher ups (and this would be a GOOD situation to use to push that forward), you get a list of acceptable devices (1-3 keyboards, 1-3 mice, and hopefully not a lot of other required USB stuff) you give staff 2 weeks to turn in their non-compliant stuff and swap to compliant stuff and then flip the switch, if people's poo poo doesn't work, they should have read their email and done things. There will be crying and teeth gnashing, but sometimes you just gotta do poo poo that people don't like.

In an ideal world yes, this would be a great idea.

In the healthcare/hospital world with special snowflake doctors/C level executives/special snowflake systems, this just wouldn't happen.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

All the other cable is blue. You'd be okay with pulling that bundle into a GENERIC_SMB_PATCHPANEL like this?

I would yes, the colors of the bulk cable pulled inside the walls (that's what this is right?) doesn't have any identification purpose. I understand you'd want it to look neat uniform, but I don't see color being a huge deal.

Yes, I've pulled thousands of cable runs, and I really don't care what color cable. Organize the front the rack, keep the back clean, but the color doesn't factor into it. Sometimes you end up with boxes from other jobs that have hundreds of feet left, so you just use what you have.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

^--- I'm anal about poo poo and having 1000 blue wires and then 10 lovely crusty white wires would drive me ballistic.

mattfl posted:

In an ideal world yes, this would be a great idea.

In the healthcare/hospital world with special snowflake doctors/C level executives/special snowflake systems, this just wouldn't happen.

Yeah that's why it requires buy-in from higher ups, hell if C-level people want to have their own garbage you could even exclude them from policy. Whatever, it's moot anyway, I was just explaining why the way your company is doing it wrong, and why, when doing it right, you wouldn't have the problems you are having.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bob Morales posted:

That boy can pull whichever of my cables he wants.

I guess if I don't have to see them, any color will do, but anything visible yeah I want color uniformity, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Screw arguing about cable coloring, let's get really mad about using zip ties in a data center.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kinda obvious tbh, why would a mouse need several driver revisions
Have you met Logitech?

Also a generic mouse type device like any wiggler intending to be stealth shouldn't have any special driver at all. HID generic drivers are built in to every meaningful OS, any device that implements the HID mouse standard just works.

quote:

+ power management
Wireless.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

tomapot posted:

Every therapist should have a therapeutic supervisor or some other support.
A page back, but in order to renew your license as a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist, you do have to see another shrink and they have to sign off before you get renewed.

As to them working under a supervisor, that varies per state last I knew, as to what level requires that. And some states allow someone to be a "therapist", but not require a psychological degree.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

In Illinois at least, licensed counselors and social workers have to work under someone else's license until you get X amount of hours and take a test, then you can fly solo. My fiancee is an LPC, licensed professional counselor, basically means she has a Master's or better, passed the licensing exam and is now working under an LCPC, licensed clinical professional counselor, until she hits her hours and takes the next license test.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I care less about the colour of that network cable than I do about it looking like cheap poo poo

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That boy can pull whichever of my cables he wants.

I guess if I don't have to see them, any color will do, but anything visible yeah I want color uniformity, too.

I used to pull a cables, and I'd prefer to have boxes of different colors, so when I did bulk pulls it was a little easier for the laborers that would never remember the cables they were pulling to sort it out. I get that the end product looks like rainbow vomit but man it's easier than returning to a job, finding a huge new spool of unlabeled cable and the guys just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Everyone knows that the red ones go faster...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I started being bothered by my terrible job. A lot of dumb poo poo has happened today and the general atmosphere of people being angry and frustrated is starting to boil over. I didn't realize how many people have been stirred up by the consultant. The man is a snake. Not that I didn't expect it but when you consider that he intends to become our new company President and along the way he's stepping on almost everyone here... how long does he think he'll last if everyone has no respect for him?

I have no idea why he's taking time out to gently caress with me. I'm nobody, I don't react to his bullshit, and no one will care when I either quit or get fired. I will never understand the mindset of people like him.

Finally getting to my lunch and I'm looking forward to spending the afternoon on my job search. I need to redouble my no-giving-a-poo poo effort because man, these people are lousy.

EDIT: I soothed my hurt feelings by solving a weird Outlook problem with POWERRRRRRSHELLLLLL...

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 13, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zil posted:

Everyone knows that the red ones go faster...

We hired this really shady eastern-european cable guy to help me, we paid him cash, no paperwork, and he always wear a track suit and pull up with these guys with him that never talked and silently ran cable. Like a villian from Taken. Once we cabled up a warehouse that had office space built in it. If you climbed up a ladder and popped out the tiles there was a bunch of open space, like three or four feet over the entire office. He has a genius idea to tie a string to a 3" ring, and then throw it across the space. Then he'd tie a bunch of cables to the string and pull them all. He did like 300 runs in a couple hours this way. It was pretty cool, but a mess since the cables just went everywhere, over electrical wires, over pipes, just a big mess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He has a genius idea to tie a string to a 3" ring, and then throw it across the space. Then he'd tie a bunch of cables to the string and pull them all. He did like 300 runs in a couple hours this way. It was pretty cool, but a mess since the cables just went everywhere, over electrical wires, over pipes, just a big mess.

I used one of these back in the mid 90s when I used to pull cable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you lay cable on top of drop ceilings rather than putting it into tray then you are Hitler

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

If you lay cable for a living on top of drop ceilings rather than putting it into tray then you are probably Hitler

ftfy

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I'm not sure what the point of SSL decryption is. It just breaks every single app using port 443 and it's caused weeks of busywork while I add URL's to whitelist. There's more internet traffic on the whitelist than sites undergoing decryption at this point.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

I'm not sure what the point of SSL decryption is. It just breaks every single app using port 443 and it's caused weeks of busywork while I add URL's to whitelist. There's more internet traffic on the whitelist than sites undergoing decryption at this point.

MITM web filtering is garbage to administrate. Always will be until that poo poo moves to the endpoint.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Well I complained yesterday about not having enough work to keep me busy and the universe was listening. Came in this morning and barely had time to pour a cup of coffee before getting a nagios alarm about the temperature of our core switch. Opening our tiny server room was like opening a sauna with the broken AC blowing hot air in my face. Once we turned that off the move and cool I set up while my boss was on paternity leave saved the day and kept things cool enough to hobble through till a tech came out.

Pissing me off: the tech who said "yeah! sure, it's fixed!" and leaving way too quickly. I didn't have a good feeling so I kept working on the plan from earlier in the day of moving some VMs so we could shut down a few hosts. Of course as I'm standing up to leave, as the last one out of there tonight, I get another nagios alert. I feel bad for having to call my boss back out, especially with an infant at home. I offered to try to take care of it for him but I think he wanted to yell at the hvac people himself.

Not pissing me off: having stuff to keep me busy all day! And having a cool management team that let the intern pretty much come up with and implement a(n admittedly pretty straight forward) plan to move around VMs, shut down hosts, and mitigate things as much as possible.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just remembered that I took a course that used the Lammle book in college 5 years ago.

WHY THE gently caress DID I NOT JUST GO FURTHER AND GET THE CERT? I was already spending 3k on the stupid college, what's another 300? I got a B in that course. I didn't really know what I was doing, I had to learn subnetting all over if I learned it at all, but it was right there.

If I had done that I wouldn't have just spun my wheels in desktop as long as I have and playing catch up with a brain that's got 5 more years on it. I could have been a contender, instead of a bum.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

We hired this really shady eastern-european cable guy to help me, we paid him cash, no paperwork, and he always wear a track suit and pull up with these guys with him that never talked and silently ran cable. Like a villian from Taken. Once we cabled up a warehouse that had office space built in it. If you climbed up a ladder and popped out the tiles there was a bunch of open space, like three or four feet over the entire office. He has a genius idea to tie a string to a 3" ring, and then throw it across the space. Then he'd tie a bunch of cables to the string and pull them all. He did like 300 runs in a couple hours this way. It was pretty cool, but a mess since the cables just went everywhere, over electrical wires, over pipes, just a big mess.

Pulling data cables next to/over electrical wires has got to be against code even in the US.

Also, I definitely wouldn't accept multicolored cables for the same purpose, I care about the guy that has to work at the place after me and it's gonna be endlessly confusing why half the Cat5 is another color.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The consultant that lost Thunderdome had pushed for an intranet and the HR person took up the cause, albeit with a drastically reduced scope. She rejected all of the options that required spending money so out of boredom I decided to just make something myself with Dreamweaver and run it off IIS. It was so nice to spend a couple of hours putting a prototype together instead of the usual dumb poo poo I have to do. I was a web designer back in the 1990s and it was interesting to see how much has changed.

Partway through my work the consultant that won Thunderdome comes into my office and sees me typing away. He says "You look busy" and comes around my desk to see a screen full of code, the top half HTML and the bottom CSS. I pop open a browser window to show him the page and he gave me the weirdest look.

"You're building that just by typing?"

I said "Yes, all web pages are code underneath."

He shrugged and said "Didn't know you knew how to do that." and walked back out. It boggles my mind that I've had to deal with so many pricks that simply refuse to talk to me about who I am and what I can do. Just talk to me, you fucks. Like you would any other person.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dick Trauma posted:

The consultant that lost Thunderdome had pushed for an intranet and the HR person took up the cause, albeit with a drastically reduced scope. She rejected all of the options that required spending money so out of boredom I decided to just make something myself with Dreamweaver and run it off IIS. It was so nice to spend a couple of hours putting a prototype together instead of the usual dumb poo poo I have to do. I was a web designer back in the 1990s and it was interesting to see how much has changed.

Partway through my work the consultant that won Thunderdome comes into my office and sees me typing away. He says "You look busy" and comes around my desk to see a screen full of code, the top half HTML and the bottom CSS. I pop open a browser window to show him the page and he gave me the weirdest look.

"You're building that just by typing?"

I said "Yes, all web pages are code underneath."

He shrugged and said "Didn't know you knew how to do that." and walked back out. It boggles my mind that I've had to deal with so many pricks that simply refuse to talk to me about who I am and what I can do. Just talk to me, you fucks. Like you would any other person.

"You're building that just by typing?" - The Life and Times of Dick Trauma, A Memoir

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Because sooner or later you will see it. You'll see it in the ceiling when something gets hosed up, you'll see it on the back of the patch panel when you pull new lines or someone messes it up, there's lots of reasons. I'm also seeing that that cable is riser-rate; is this in a plenum space? If so, the contractor is violating fire code. (It's also Cat 5e; I'm assuming you're landing on existing Cat 5e panels, otherwise I can't imagine not running Cat 6 in 2017.)

We color code by function: data, wireless, voice, security cameras, etc. Different colors for each and separate patch panels for each, and we patch in the same colors. You'd be surprised how helpful a quick visual identifier can be. Even if nothing bad ever happens (it will), when you have new lines pulled your contractor will know to land the blue cables on the panel with the other blue cables. If you didn't specify colors in the contract, though, or refer to a spec book that does, you're SOL.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
People here are still using post its to label computers, understandably this lead to computers being scrapped that weren't supposed to be scrapped because there was data on the machine that was still needed.
Luckily this time it wasn't that much of a problem, but I have this sinking feeling that our luck will run out at one point.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Did somebody say color unity? In the wall, I don't care.

To the patch panel? We have 3 networks here. Corporate, Customer service, and engineering.

God help you if I catch a green cable plugged into my orange cable only switch. I will track whoever the motherfucker who decided they wanted access to my network down and feed them their own entrails. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

God help you if I catch a green cable plugged into my orange cable only switch. I will track whoever the motherfucker who decided they wanted access to my network down and feed them their own entrails. :colbert:

Always shut unused ports off so people don't even have opportunity to hijack a connection. :colbert:

Or put them in a vlan that directs all traffic to pornhub.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

IndustrialApe posted:

People here are still using post its to label computers, understandably this lead to computers being scrapped that weren't supposed to be scrapped because there was data on the machine that was still needed.
Luckily this time it wasn't that much of a problem, but I have this sinking feeling that our luck will run out at one point.

Unfortunately we still do this internally to keep track of inventory in our storerooms. It's helpful, when replacing a laptop, to just be able to put a sticky note on it saying "Do not reimage until x date." Or if we have damaged systems, putting them in a pile with a sticky note on the exact problem is useful when we eventually find the time to go yell at dell.

But we don't let sticky notes get floating around in the wild on machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

xzzy posted:

Always shut unused ports off so people don't even have opportunity to hijack a connection. :colbert:

Or put them in a vlan that directs all traffic to pornhub.

You don't reward them for loving up :(

Things pissing me off:

MicTray.exe is finally flagged as a keylogger cause HP are a bunch of dumb rear end lovely coders who thought having something constantly all incoming button presses scan for 1 button was a good idea.

gently caress this goddamn piece of poo poo right in its rear end. I have to create a god drat GPO to rename it till I get my baseline image working and even then, we have HPs with that poo poo floating all over the drat company.

:sigh: There. I feel better.