Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When I have a loaf of sliced bread in a bag, I always eat the heel pieces last. The reason for this is I have the entirely irrational idea that the front heel piece somehow keeps the rest of the loaf fresh - like, the heel piece is somehow protecting the soft inner pieces of bread from going stale. I fully realize that that particular slice of bread isn't magical, and that it is in fact the bag keeping the bread fresh, but whatever, I will probably do this until I die. And god help you if you seal up a loaf of my bread without the heel piece just right up against the next slice.

The thing is, too, I really love the heel pieces and look forward to finishing a loaf so I can make a sandwich with two heels. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well hell, I do that too. I also squeeze all the air out of two-liter bottles in hopes the soda stays fizzy longer. I mean, I know it doesn't but childhood habits die hard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I never look at the months ahead on wall calendars.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Scathach posted:

Well hell, I do that too. I also squeeze all the air out of two-liter bottles in hopes the soda stays fizzy longer. I mean, I know it doesn't but childhood habits die hard.

I think doing this would make your soda lose fizziness. Squeezing the air out of the bottle gives room for the CO2 in the soda to escape. I guess this would work it you don't shake the bottle at all.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

When going through yellow lights, kiss your finger and touch the roof of the car.

Only pick up coins that are heads up.

Smear the name on the birthday cake before you cut it.

When giving a knife as a gift, a coin must be exchanged.

Don't open umbrellas indoors.

Don't walk under ladders.

Always offer to help clean if you are a guest.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Well, since you asked...

I do pretty much all the ye olde superstitions of yore stuff that survived to the modern day. I don't open umbrellas indoors, I don't walk under ladders, I'm careful with mirrors, so on and so forth. Most of these are pretty much just common sense adages meant to avoid safety hazards, but I also do the ones that make no sense like throwing salt over my shoulder when I spill it (actually every time I use salt because hey, a few grains are always going to get away) and being extra cautious when black cats cross my path (which rarely comes up).

I also have several superstitions regarding foreshadowing and travel. I used to never travel out of town on Friday the 13th but I broke that one because a really cute girl wanted to go camping with me on a Friday the 13th, and we're still together a year later. But I also swing back and forth as to whether that means I broke the curse or if our relationship is doomed to fail in a terrible, terrible manner.

I don't drive anywhere without my plush goat named Leroy. I never use language like "I'm departing at ____-o-clock" because that's dramatically foreshadowing my own death. Same with "I might hit traffic" (has to be "There may be heavy traffic") or "You'll see me soon" (implies they might see me at the morgue or a funeral, and goes both ways. I have to say "we'll see each other soon"). I preface a lot of sentences with the phrase "if everything goes well" because I believe that it staves off the dramatic foreshadowing associated with making assumptions about anything in the future. I also occasionally fixate on one particular day in the future as the day where I or someone I love will probably die suddenly because it's "narratively appropriate" that it happen for maximum heartbreak. It's difficult to explain the feeling, but it's kind of like my life is a story, but also because I've never experienced the tragic death of someone close to me, so I feel as though I'm due that or that the tragic death is, infact, mine. Right now that day is next Friday, 9/22, because my girlfriend mentioned that the shifting fall temperatures "felt foreboding" or something to that effect. 9/22 is the first day of fall, therefore...

I've had roughly a dozen of these days in the past year.

On an intellectual level I know that none of these superstitions or fears are grounded in reality or logical thinking (save walking under ladders, etc). I can't help it.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
i have irrational fears when i'm in a gross public restroom

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Seeing a black cat is good luck

Wave when someone lets you pass in traffic

When you make a wish, don't tell anyone what it is

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
If i get lucky and arrive just in time to catch a bus or train I have to take a moment to acknowledge my luck or next time I might just miss it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I can't say goodbye on the phone first. I never have. I will go through all the yeps and okays and more until the other person finally says bye before I even feel like I can utter the word. I have no explanation why. It just feels wrong.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever I troll or shitpost, i'm always like "Uh oh, i'm gonna get it now", like the gods are gonna punish me. Something mildly unfortunate always happens after I fart out some snarky posts and comments on the internet.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Picnic Princess posted:

I can't say goodbye on the phone first. I never have. I will go through all the yeps and okays and more until the other person finally says bye before I even feel like I can utter the word. I have no explanation why. It just feels wrong.

I live in fear that if I say goodbye first, and don't appreciate talking to them as much as I can, the universe will take them from me.

I used to have boxers that I considered "lucky" because the pattern on them was boxers. They finally fell apart from overuse on road trips and airplanes.

I tap the roof of the car when passing a yellow light.

To avoid tempting fate, I always knock on wood or the nearest wood-like substance, such as paper or cotton. Cotton is made of plant.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Speaking of universe, I 75% believe the Universe is toying with my life for shits and giggles. I have the most ridiculous hosed up horrible poo poo happen to me, but at the same time unbelievably awesome poo poo. I don't want to believe it, but it's just so crazy. Like most peoples' lives are a sin wave with low frequency and amplitude while mine is off the chart in every concievable way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I always make sure the oven and stove are turned off before I leave the house. Even if I didn't use them that day. I don't even worry about it if I just get up and sit around the house without going into the kitchen all day, but the second I go to leave I suddenly have to make sure the stove hasn't been on since whenever I last used it. Even if I came home after being away a few days and left again without going into the kitchen I'd still have to stop and check the stove.

I have never in my entire life accidentally left the stove on.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I knew a guy who refused to read the fortunes inside fortune cookies. He would eat the lovely cookie but destroy the piece of paper without looking at it or letting anyone else look at it. I think he was actually afraid it might say something like YOU HAVE CANCER.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If someone sits next to me on the tram/bus I get off at the next stop and wait for the next one.

Also it is really important to me to eother be the first one in to my office or the last to go home because I think my officemates would gossip about me being lazy etc otherwise.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Virgin sacrifice

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

Beachcomber posted:

I live in fear that if I say goodbye first, and don't appreciate talking to them as much as I can, the universe will take them from me.

I tap the roof of the car when passing a yellow light.

My girlfriend in high school taught me the yellow light thing, although her variation (which I still do) is to kiss my thumb and then press it to the ceiling of the car.

Speaking of goodbyes and cars, whenever I'm going to be driving anywhere, I always make a point of telling someone, even if it's just a pet, "I'll be back soon," because that's basically like making a promise, and keeping a promise is proof against automotive disaster.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

Speaking of universe, I 75% believe the Universe is toying with my life for shits and giggles. I have the most ridiculous hosed up horrible poo poo happen to me, but at the same time unbelievably awesome poo poo. I don't want to believe it, but it's just so crazy. Like most peoples' lives are a sin wave with low frequency and amplitude while mine is off the chart in every concievable way.

is the simpler explanation not "i take things far too seriously"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My uncle got kid me into the habit of greeting cows with a cheerful "morning, ladies :haw:" by claiming they'd only give us milk if we were nice to them. It's something I still do twenty six years later. :downs:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I've got this irrational fear that spiders aren't actually from this universe.

What's worse is I think they might be fleeing something.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Keru posted:

I've got this irrational fear that spiders aren't actually from this universe.

What's worse is I think they might be fleeing something.

Write a book.

poptart_fairy posted:

My uncle got kid me into the habit of greeting cows with a cheerful "morning, ladies :haw:" by claiming they'd only give us milk if we were nice to them. It's something I still do twenty six years later. :downs:

I don't see many cows these days, but this. Also, talk to all animals. I thank the OK Google lady when she answers my questions and shhhh inanimate objects that make sudden loud noises.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Beachcomber posted:

I thank the OK Google lady when she answers my questions and shhhh inanimate objects that make sudden loud noises.

When the self-checkouts at the supermarket say "please take your items" I invariably respond "you haven't given me my receipt yet" because it's very rude of them to be so impatient when I'm still waiting for them to complete their side of the transaction.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Beachcomber posted:

Write a book.

I wish I was that clever, it's a quote from an old thread where people made up facts and that's really the only one I remember from it.
It's a good 'un, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Beachcomber posted:

Write a book.

I don't see many cows these days, but this. Also, talk to all animals. I thank the OK Google lady when she answers my questions and shhhh inanimate objects that make sudden loud noises.

I'm fortunate enough to live by land used for rearing sheep and cows, so I get to see them all the time. :buddy:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I make sure to touch the outside of a plane (as in, place my palm flat on it, like reassuring a horse) every time I board one.

This might be related to the fact that I secretly suspect planes only fly because we believe they can.

e: Oh yeah, and I regularly knock on wood. Or if wood isn't available, knock on what's around and say "knock on [x]".

Lord Hydronium has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Sep 14, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Lord Hydronium posted:

e: Oh yeah, and I regularly knock on wood. Or if wood isn't available, knock on what's around and say "knock on [x]".

My younger brother would always say knock on wood and then punch me in the dick. I'm not a fan of the saying (or practice) anymore.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I no longer listen to one of my favorite bands ever, The Angelic Process, because I am irrationally afraid it will bring me bad luck.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
everyday I sprinkle a few drops of TX luck on myself for fortune in Love and Bingo

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
It's bad luck to walk over three consecutive drain covers. You can walk over two and then a third a little further along, or to move away before stepping on the third, but if they're all attached I have to walk around them.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

As someone who strongly identifies as a skeptic, I've got a weird superstition about having dreams that seem to predict the future. Statistically it's bound to happen every once in a while, but it feels spooky every time. The most memorable was the time I dreamed about finding two $100 bills in a wallet and then the next day I did pizza deliveries and had two separate orders pay with $100 bills.

Not superstitious but still irrational: If I have two different routes to drive somewhere, where one of them is 30 minutes at high speed and the other is 20 minutes of driving through traffic, I might take the 30 minute option because it feels like I'm making more progress that way.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Whenever I turn on a light I blink at the exactly the same time that the light turns on.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I often see life as a sin wave, and it varies in amplitude and frequency. Some people have rather boring lives with low measurements and anything bad that happens to them is pretty tame and they have equally relatively tame highlights. But then there's people who just seem to have the most ridiculous poo poo happen all the time. For each unbelievably incredible experience, they will have monumentally bad poo poo happen to balance it out. And it's not all by choice or lifestyle. Kind of like karma, but instead the universe has to maintain the balance of this wave.

It's dumb, I know, but it makes me have hope through some pretty awful stuff I go through frequently while keeping me humble when I've done something crazy cool. Which happens a lot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any time someone on a show or a movie says "the greater good" I say it again out loud like in Hot Fuzz. I don't think it's superstition, I just think it's funny and also you have NO IDEA how often people in shows say that poo poo until you start paying attention.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Whenever I walk on a tiled floor with different colored tiles, I can't help but believe that certain colors feel different to step on and will avoid the tiles that don't feel "right" to walk on.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Whenever I walk on a tiled floor with different colored tiles, I can't help but believe that certain colors feel different to step on and will avoid the tiles that don't feel "right" to walk on.

That is INCREDIBLY interesting. How does your brain tend to map colors to textures?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Pastry of the Year posted:

That is INCREDIBLY interesting. How does your brain tend to map colors to textures?

It's usually more of a light/dark issue than color, now that I think about it. Darker tiles tend to feel harder to step on than lighter tiles. It's not a terribly pronounced feeling and I don't always think about, but if I notice my feet are on different colors I feel ever so slightly like I'm putting more pressure on one foot than the other.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Whenever I see a person from Belarus, I slap my rear end for good luck.

I don't deal drugs when the bat signal is on.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I believe that fortune cookies speak the truth, but it's always a cursed truth a la a monkey's paw. Whenever you get a fortune cookie and read it, something is going to pop into your mind that it applies to in your life, similar with how psychics and horoscopes work. And then I think the fortune will actually technically come true, but in a twisted way that dashes your hopes on what the fortune applied to.

Fortunately I don't lose too much sleep over this because I think it's kind of a "when you least expect it" thing so there's no use worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Fortune cookies only come true when you eat the whole thing in one go, fortune and all.

Sure, you'll never know what the fortune says, but I'm sure it'll come true, probably.

• Locked thread