Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Fifa 17 made many strides in improving UI and deepening existing game modes. FUT especially received a lot of content and it has now become easier than ever (in my opinion) to amass a star team without spending a dime (do not spend money on virtual currency ever). However the game put way too much emphasis on AI defending and it often times turned games into an unfun defensively minded war of attrition.

Gameplay- judging from the demo: Auto AI has been toned down drastically and defenders are clunkier to control as they should be. Dribbling while not super fast seems much tighter and easier to control and hopefully master.

New Stuff- "Real Player Motion Technology". Players should feel more like their real life selves or at the very least Giovinco won't be able to run right at people and win the ball and Pepe won't turn on the ball like Messi. The Story career mode is back with more options in branching out into the football world, supposedly even more depth this year as well. Live Substitutions are in, including adding preferred subs to streamline the process. Both players have to pause to stop gameplay or else it stops when the ball goes out. Probably a lot more but that's what I can remember at the moment

The mysteries of momentum, scripting, chemistry bugs etc.- EA "explained" chemistry last year but a lot of it was left murky. No one still really knows what the composure stat does.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_7Gz_RFLnE

Career Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ty4064UZ_c

Useful links
http://www.futhead.com/ the best site for accessing the fut database and building squads
http://www.futbin.com/ the best site for tracking fut player prices
http://sofifa.com/players/top the best site for career mode information

Space reserved for future meltdowns

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

A cool goal I scored in the demo. Ball roll chop to a nice volley

Notice how in this camera mode the game actually shows you the direction and power with which you aim your shots and passes. Very cool imo.

e- If a mod sees this can I get a soccer sticky for this thread.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 13, 2017

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Game bad, I'll buy anyway

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Thanks Seltzer!
How many Euros do I have so spend for a featured meltdown comeback in the OP again? :thunk:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I haven't much touched The Journey, I think I'm still at the tryout stuff even, but since I see they're continuing the story in 18 is it worth playing through at least a decent bit of it? Does anything carry over?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
drat, the new 180 degree fake shot is sick

I don't see any point in doing reverse body felt anymore at all

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Also it might somehow just be me because no one has mentioned this on reddit but in all 4 games I played the colors on the radar were backwards lol

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Well, game feels different. But I'm finding it easier to score so that's good I guess. However, the demo hasn't really convinced me to pick it up on release day.
The quick substitutions are a great addition though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quick subs is a thing I never thought about but is drat cool since you mostly know during a match who to change (more so in career mode). Now, can you change formation on the fly? Because that would gently caress a lot of people online. You start with let's say a 4231 and you swiftly swap to a 41212 with the quick subs.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Demo felt fine to me, a bit slow but thats normal, also it'll be different at launch anyway since the demo is traditionally a months old build of the game.

It definitely looks a lot nicer, crowds getting rowdy after goals get scored is a nice touch.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I really enjoy boras' videos relative to other youtubers, here he is playing FUT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im_9lmgqm1o

He claims through balls, pace, finesse shots are gonna be the way of the world, but this is after all the demo.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I really enjoy boras' videos relative to other youtubers, here he is playing FUT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im_9lmgqm1o

He claims through balls, pace, finesse shots are gonna be the way of the world, but this is after all the demo.

I love Boras and he's one of the top 5 players in the world I'd say but trying to suss out the meta when there's no online play and on a months old build is just stupid.

e: oh he's playing some beta or something but still.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The new skill is a jogging okocha flick right? I was doing a little work with that when you had to be stopped last year, that will definitely be good this year.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The best new skill afaik is the cruyff turn which is just a 180 degree fake shot

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I've been looking at what to make for a starter squad and so far I've come up with this (database isnt complete so RB is blank for now).

MLS cards got crapped on this year with ratings but Piatti looks tremendous. He'll be 7 chem at CF and has the perfect stats for it. The 5* 4* combo is really cool.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I think I'm gonna roll with the Bronze starter squad and rake in the coin bonuses to start this FIFA. I suppose it all depends on what I pack pull during that first week with Web Fut App access.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Tzen posted:

I think I'm gonna roll with the Bronze starter squad and rake in the coin bonuses to start this FIFA. I suppose it all depends on what I pack pull during that first week with Web Fut App access.

By bronze starter squad you mean stuff you pull from the starter packs right?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm always curious which PWM crew member will be first to post in this thread that they don't play FIFA anymore and it's bad

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What's PWM

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tzen posted:

The past two years I've been able to build a decent all gold squad to roll out with day 1 just from web app bonuses and selling cards I get from initial packs.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm always curious which PWM crew member will be first to post in this thread that they don't play FIFA anymore and it's bad

Well PES is better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

frameset posted:

Well PES is better.

In what? I'm curious to know since I owned both PES2017 and Fifa17. Played both demos and is still the same, PES ball physics are poo poo and through balls are stupid good. At least the animations got bit better but the keepers are still hilarious robots.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I messed with the PES demo and thought it was ok but felt clunkier than my FIFA stuff did. I'd genuinely be interested in a PES fan's pro/con list.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've played every PES on PC since PES3 and played 2017 on PES4. I made the jump from mainly PES to Fifa around Fifa 09 but kept playing konami's every year just to notice how clunkier it was compared to Fifa.

I still have PES5 and 6 installed on my PC because they're good. They're old by today's standard but at least gameplay is fun. Most PES fans will defend it and say Fifa is poo poo but provide no actual points like "fifa is too easy! it takes no skill! handicap!" while they oversight that konami every year has been cutting on licenses, reusing animations since PES2008 or putting detail in like 20-30 faces and call it a day.

All of this come from someone that usually plays both games alonside and even liked 2017 enough to get it for dirt cheap just for a bunch of local matches with friends.

Sure, FIFA online stuff effort goes to FUT but you have Pro Clubs and offline manager has more options and depth than PES manager.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

EA early access is due out wednesday I believe. 10 hours so remember to turn off your console when your done what your doing. There were people last year who left the game running and lost like 7 hours or so. TOTW 1 should be out then. After putting together a starter team with the coin unlocks I'm going to try to snag a nice totw 1 player when they're super under priced. Most likely IF Valencia assuming he gets one.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Web app is out, I got Kompany and the sadly downgraded (but still really good) smalling in my starter packs so thats cool.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

can you buy fifa points yet?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

can you buy fifa points yet?

I never buy any so you're asking the wrong person, but probably.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

Web app is out, I got Kompany and the sadly downgraded (but still really good) smalling in my starter packs so thats cool.

I got Corluka and Lucas Perez. Fuccccccccck. I wish I had like 20k right now to just snap up turklig silvers.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

hopterque posted:

I never buy any so you're asking the wrong person, but probably.

I'm not tryna play with a 54 OVR gk

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'm not tryna play with a 54 OVR gk

Play 5 games with the coin unlock and voila you can have a full gold team. Or just trade your high value players on the web app and put together a 5k non rare team.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

i'm not buying the game

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

hopterque posted:

Hmmm I can't access it on the web or via the play store. So wondering what I'm missing here.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Elliptical Dick posted:

Hmmm I can't access it on the web or via the play store. So wondering what I'm missing here.

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/ works for me, it took a couple of tries because it's bogged down.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 20, 2017

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

meh

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I can't swap players from my subs to my starting line-up. I can only swap them for loan players for some reason?

EDIT: never mind, I'm an idiot. Apparently you have to select a loan player and then a kit. And then you can start changing your team.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 20, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I got my team started but web app hasn't worked for me for hours, I assume it's being hammered

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

That's about a million times better than mine

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I got Santi Cazorla in my starter pack, that's like worth 3k I guess

That's pretty cool tho might use him for awhile out of sentimental value for being in my intro packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Played two hours of the early access and packed some ok stuff. This is my A squad

My B squad is the Piatti false 9 I posted above. Piatti is awesome and should get an IF next week which is great. Everything is so cheap right now because no one has coins. Every single card in that squad was under 2k. Most closer to 1k. Benatia was 4k and Josef 10k flat. Martinez's IFs last year were so awesome so I hope this squad performs for me.

• Locked thread