Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Like I said, this was basically guaranteed. The only alternative would have been for them to discover the traitor, which obviously didn't happen in time. This was Monokuma deciding he wanted Nekomaru gone. If things are at all like the first game, this means he's getting desperate for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aw, Nekumaru :(

RIP, you huge doofus :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

amigolupus posted:

I like that Chiaki talked Hajime down from going into that room. Things are looking pretty bad so having someone who keeps a cool head like her is a blessing.

Did she? Or, did she just not want Hajime to know that the weapon had already been taken?

I don't really believe that is the case, but it is a possibility.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 9, 2017

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
At first I was all "Well at least it wasn't a living student this time" but then I remembered that it was a living student that killed him and that same student is willing to kill everyone else to escape.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Unless Nekomaru somehow killed himself. I know that's sort of impossible given his arms are bound, limbs are ripped off and the head's detached, but he is also a robot with unknown abilities.

My money's on Souda or Akane for this one. Akane might well have ripped him apart out of anger or desire for food (or he actually allowed her to do it on the off chance he had more juice inside him). Souda would intuitively know how to take him apart, maybe reasoning he could build him into a means of escape.

I noted something interesting about the death pool sheets: Collectively, we've been pretty good at predicting deaths so far. If you look at the total death votes line, those who've died have so far been those with more votes (aside from Chiaki in the unspoiled group).

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Although I'm expecting shenanigans to come up that absolve her, the fact that Mechamaru has a giant loving dent in his head and there's a big ol hammer next to the corpse points to her as the culprit. Everyone's seriously mentally and physically weakened from the starvation, but if anyone could summon the strength to wield the hammer well enough to dent steel its her.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Did she? Or, did she just not want Hajime to know that the weapon had already been taken?

I'm not sure about this. I mean, Chiaki's been pretty much against the killings from the start and was our most helpful ally during the trials so I can't see her changing her tune now. I've checked the previous updates, and it's been mentioned there's a Life-Threatening Game waiting inside so I guess she didn't want Hajime to do something reckless and get hurt or worse.

A cute detail I noticed while looking was that the badges on Mechamaru's collar looks like a computer case and a keyboard. :3: A not-so-cute detail I noticed was that Mechamaru's death also matches with what happened to the Tin Man in The Wizard of Monomi. :(

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

The way the room and weapon was announced has a very rpg vibe to me and Chiaki as s gamer might not have been able to resist. That said, I don't (want to) believe she's a killer.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I could actually see her going in and getting the weapon so no one else could use it.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Poor Mechamaru. Hopefully, he can poo poo in heaven.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's making GBS threads with the angels now. :hr:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Kind of suspected the super powerful robot that was immune to Monokuma's giant guns wasn't going to be allowed to stay around for long, but still sad. :(

Souda or Akane seem obvious suspects...I don't like either one so meh. I'm leaning toward Akane though just from the way he's all dented up. Souda would have presumably had more finesse in taking apart a machine (especially one with a literal off switch) and Nekomaru would trust Akane enough to be alone with her.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 10, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've been thinking, and I feel that Kazuichi is the killer here. He's hungry and desperate, so he probably convinced Mechamaru to help him on a harebrained scheme where Kazuichi shuts him down temporarily. He probably thought they could fool Monokuma to think Mechamaru got killed, only Kazuichi would turn him back on once the doors outside are unlocked.

As for why Mechamaru's in pieces, Nagito probably saw him lying "dead" and decided to help Kazuichi by messing with the crime scene, just like what Togami did. So now Kazuichi is locked as the culprit of a crime he didn't intend to do.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I've been thinking, and I feel that Kazuichi is the killer here. He's hungry and desperate, so he probably convinced Mechamaru to help him on a harebrained scheme where Kazuichi shuts him down temporarily. He probably thought they could fool Monokuma to think Mechamaru got killed, only Kazuichi would turn him back on once the doors outside are unlocked.

As for why Mechamaru's in pieces, Nagito probably saw him lying "dead" and decided to help Kazuichi by messing with the crime scene, just like what Togami did. So now Kazuichi is locked as the culprit of a crime he didn't intend to do.

Wouldn't that make Nagito the killer? Powered-off Mechamaru seems more similar to unconscious than dead.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Graylien posted:

Wouldn't that make Nagito the killer? Powered-off Mechamaru seems more similar to unconscious than dead.

Monokuma's a huge dick so he'd probably count Kazuichi as the killer, for maximum despair. Maybe with some bullshit reasoning like how the person who turned off Mechamaru's power switch is the one who really pulled the trigger, or something like that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Ding dong dong ding*

: A body has been discovered! Now then, after a certain amount of time has passed, the class trial will begin!

A violent shiver coursed through my body.

My heart began to pound faster and faster, and I could feel the blood in my head pulsating intensely.

My...teeth were chattering with horror.

: Wh-What the hell...is this...?

When I was finally able to speak, my voice sounded so small I could barely hear it myself.

: Why...why is this...happening...? It's...so strange... He finally... He finally came back to us...

If this is a nightmare, please, just let me wake up... I couldn't think of any other way to describe it.

: N-Nekomaru...? No...this is a lie, right...?
: Based on our situation, and the body discovery announcement... It's unfortunate but...there's no doubt that another killing has happened.

Killing... I can't deny this truth but...

: Why...?

As usual...that was the only word I could squeeze out.

: Hey, what happened!?
: A-Akane...!
: Move...
: MOVE IT!

Music fades out.

Akane pushed me aside and ran straight over to Nekomaru.

: Why...? Why is Nekomaru...? Why did he have to die...again? Dammit... I never paid you back... I never paid you back...for your help last time! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

: Dammit...!

: Th-This...is just too much... Why...why did Nekomaru have to die...? Though his appearance was drastically altered... He still came back to us...
: ...Why? Why...does this always happen? No matter how much I try to stop it, this is always the result... Is this something I can't stop?
: Hey, Nekomaru got killed, right? That announcement...means what I think it means, right?
: Hey, who did it!? Who killed Nekomaru!?

: Looks like someone is finally pumped up.
: Y-You...! Hey, you know who did it, right!? Who killed Nekomaru!?

: Don't get mad at me all of a sudden! In fact, I'm the one who should be mad! I went to a lot of trouble to bring Nekomaru back from the dead, and he already let the killer break him!
: How disappointingly foolish... Maybe he had a few screws loose?
: ...Y'know, cuz he's a robot!
: Are you talkin' about Nekomaru!?
: A-Akane! Calm down!

: Use those powers that your anger has awoken for the investigation!
: Um...Monokuma? Is there any way you can fix Nekomaru?
: Hmm... I could've fixed him if his head was still attached, but since he's like this, it's impossible. Plus, the last time this happened it was my fault, but this time the killer is one of you guys.
: I'm under no obligation to fix him for you...
: ...I guess it was a waste of time to ask him.
: A life that dies once will never return twice... That's reality for you.
: ...Sooooo, even though it's getting a little boring, let's get on with the usual routine!

: The Monokuma File! Also, this is a gift from me to you...

: Red bean bread and milk!
: ...!

: I brought you guys a present since the killing went off without a hitch. Besides...
: If I don't feed you, you guys probably won't last long enough for a class trial!
: I'll definitely find out who killed coach Nekomaru...
: And after I kill that guy, you're next! I'll definitely destroy you! So even though it sucks, I'm gonna eat first! If I don't get some food in me, I can't unleash my full power!

: You're right... If we're gonna avenge Mechamaru, we gotta regain as much energy as we can...
: Dammit...I'm gonna eat...!
: C'mon Hajime, you too.
: Yeah, you're right...

I've beenwaiting to eat something for so long... Dammit...I never expected I'd feel this terrible when I finally ate again...!

: Eat it slowly. It'd be bad if you got a stomachache.

We ate our food in silence... Slowly, my blood began coursing through my veins. I started to slowly regain feeling in my numb body...

: Phew...
: Looks like you've gotten your energy back. Then let's hurry up and start already!
: I'm gonna do it... The killer...and you... I'm gonna beat the poo poo outta both of you with my bare hands...!

: U-Um... Regardless of whether we start or not... What has happened to the others? They appear to be extremely late...
: You mean the guys in Strawberry House...? Now that you mention it, no one's here...
: That's weird... They should've come to Grape Tower because we had Monokuma Tai Chi...

: Jeez, how unacceptable! I never expected all of you to ditch Monokuma Tai Chi. Honestly, it was way beyond my expectations...
: Well, since it happened anyway, I guess it is what is it.

Everyone...ditched? Does "everyone"...include us, too?

: Puhuhu, now do your best to investigate! I'll see you again at the class trial! *leaves*

: ...Hm? I hear...I hear something...
: Huh? What do you hear...
: *Gasp!* Could it be Nekomaru!?

: Of course not... He's...already dead...
: ...
: Oh well... Now's not the time to worry about that sound...

That sound...? What are you talking about? I don't hear anything...

: And...what about Gundham and the others? Is it all right that we have no summoned them here?

: They're gonna come here soon anyway. Now's not the time to worry about them.

You're right... They should've heard the body discovery announcement already... They'll probably come soon... Maybe...

: ...Then we should start the investigation soon.
: Yeah...you're right...

I gotta do it... I have to do it...!

...First, I need to look at the Monokuma File.

CAUSE OF DEATH

-The victim is Nekomaru Nidai, AKA "Mechamaru" after his robotic transformation.

-His body was discovered in Grape Tower, which is inside the Funhouse.

-His head is severely damaged and beyond repair, so that shall be considered the cause of death.

-Despite the fact that his arms and legs are dismembered, these limbs were actually designed to be detachable, and it seems they separated due to a severe impact.

-Aside from that, several other areas of his body are damaged. Because of this, many of his functions seem to have shut down.

His arms and legs were detachable...and it looks like they separated due to a severe impact. Does that mean...Nekomaru was repeatedly clubbed with some sort of weapon? But...was there a reason they needed to club him over and over again?

: Nekomaru... I suppose the signs were there that he might be the next to go but it's still sad to see such a fun character die off. All we can do now is investigate.
: We'll begin by examining his body.

It's...Nekomaru's body. It's cruelly broken...

It looks like it's been so severely damaged that even his head was dented... That'd be...the fatal wound, right? But Nekomaru's robot body should've been durable enough to withstand any assault. For Nekomaru to be this damaged, it can only mean...

: Whoever attacked Nekomaru didn't hold back.

Now's probably not the best time to think this but... I guess...Nekomaru was really transformed into a robot, huh? I was getting used to the idea, but now that I think about it, robots are definitely unusual...

Well, it doesn't matter if he was a robot or not. Either way, Nekomaru was still killed.

: It's definitely strange...isn't it?
: ...Hm? What is?
: If they wanted to kill him, they could've just destroyed his head. Why did they destroy his entire body, too?
: Maybe they didn't know how to kill a robot...so they damaged him all over.

: But they went against coach Nekomaru! He ain't the type to die easily!
: They obviously didn't fight him head-on, but even then, he wouldn't leave himself open to attack...

You're right... In fact, that's the biggest mystery. Nekomaru was even stronger after he became a robot... I can't think of anyone who'd be capable of killing him.

...Anyway, this alone isn't enough information. I should investigate a little more thoroughly...

: Lots to examine here. Let's start with the oil puddle.

This fluid flowing out of Nekomaru's body... Based on the smell...it seems like oil. It seems to be flowing heaviest from Nekomaru's head, probably because that's where the fatal blow was dealt.

This oil... For Nekomaru, this might be similar to normal blood in humans.

: Which means all this oil is just a pool of robot blood. Anyway, that's a whole lot of oil. It's not gonna be easy to clean up.

No... Now's not the time to even worry about that.

...Huh? There's something protruding from behind Nekomaru's neck. Is this...?

: That's right, it's a cutting-edge function that puts my other functions to sleep, even if I have insomnia... Just press the Good Night Button on the back of my neck, and I'll be forced to enter sleep mode!

Maybe...the killer pressed this button and made Nekomaru enter sleep mode. But still, it's hard to think the killer was able to easily press a button on the back of Nekomaru's neck... Even if Nekomaru was ambushed, it still wouldn't be easy.

The cover on his chest is open slightly...but it won't open much more because the cover's all messed up. If only Kazuichi was here, we might've been able to open it...

Jeez... What the heck could he be doing right now?

There's a sturdy, metal wire tied to Nekomaru's left leg... The same wire is tied to his arms... It's almost like he was bound up or something. But even if they bound him up... The killer still had to deal with a robotic Nekomaru first... Who did this, and...how were they able to bind Nekomaru?

Also, the tip of this wire... It looks like it's been tied in a loop but... What...was the point of this?

: I guess for now...this is all I can do to investigate Nekomaru's body...

I should back off for now...

: Let's have a chat with the girls.

: Um... In this case's Monokuma File, there is no written time of death, right?
: Didn't that happen when Ibuki and Hiyoko died too?
: ...Oh, did it?

But...the reason the time of death wasn't mentioned when those two died was because...the time of death was key to the mystery surrounding their murder.

Could that be the case this time too...?

: By the way, I would like to confirm this just in case...

: Ultimately, is it safe to assume that Grape Tower and Strawberry Tower are the same building?
: Well...that's the only thing we can think of. Even when we experimented with Chiaki's handbook and left it in Grape Tower... It still showed up in Strawberry Tower.
: The reason each tower's wall is different colors is because the floor lighting is changing the colors... The reason Usami's floor portrait is different in each tower is because it is merely a projection...
: Yeah...that should be the case.

: Then it is decided! The two towers are the same building! Which means the scene of the crime is simultaneously Grape Tower and Strawberry Tower!

Grape Tower and Strawberry Tower are the same building... How does that pertain to Nekomaru's murder...?

: Huuuuh...? What's this?
: ...Did you find something?
: Um, under Nekomaru's body...no, wait. There are small, rock-like fragments underneath Mechamaru's body.

You didn't need to correct yourself like that...

: And...what do you mean "rock-like fragments"?

: Here, look. There are a lot of these small fragments... It's like they fell under Mechamaru's body.
: But oddly enough... Though these fragments are underneath Mechamaru's body...there are hardly any on top of his body at all.
: What's...strange about that? Is there a problem that they're not on top of his body?

: If you don't know, it's okay. It probably means they're not that important.

Well, if you put it like that... Now I can't help but think they're important.

: ...Did you find anything?
: Mmm... Mmmmm... Mmmmmmmmm...
: L-Looks like you haven't found anything yet...
: We need clues, right!? I'll remember something, so just wait for it!
: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Looks like...that's gonna be a little hard...

: Oh, I remember! There *is* somethin' I thought was weird! Um... It happened early in the mornin'...

Y-You're going back that far!?

: C'mon, you noticed it too, right? You heard that rumblin' sound?
: Rumbling...

*KA-BLAM!*

: What...was that sound just now...? Was it...an earthquake...?

But...I didn't feel the ground move...

: I guess I'm just thinking too much...

: I was sleepin' pretty hard so I wouldn't think about how hungry I was, but that noise woke me up. I ran outta my room without thinkin', and after I did that...
: Then what happened...?
: I didn't see anythin', and it looked like the others didn't come outta their rooms either... I felt pretty dumb for bein' the only one who came out, so I went back to my room and fell back asleep.
: In the end, I never found out what that sound was, but it's been on my mind for a while.

You know, now that you mention it, it does seem strange... Just what was that sound?

: You don't know either? Well, I should tell you in more detail... When I ran outta my room, I happened to glance at the lounge clock... It said it was around 5:30 a.m. Will you be able to find out anythin' with that info?

I didn't think that rumbling noise happened that early in the morning... But...I'm not really sure if that noise pertains to the incident or not...

: Hmm...
: What the hell!? I went to the trouble of rememberin' that and you've got nothin'...!? Jeez...you're so drat useless...!

She seems...agitated. Well, it's understandable...

: We'll continue our investigation next time.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Was he tied to the pillar before it broke?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
It sounds like he was strung up using pillars in both the grape and strawberry sides. Wouldn't be surprised if a pillar fell over on the other side too, due to the way the rotating room works.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Two things I'm surprised about:

- I'm surprised the game (Hinata in particular I suppose) didn't mention anything about seeing a dead robot vs. a dead human. From my perspective, it seems like it'd be way less of an initial shock to see a dead robot than to stumble upon a dead, disfigured, bloody human. I was expecting Hinata to maybe have some trouble initially accepting the gravity of the situation, Nekomaru being dead that is, but nah, you'd think from everyone's reactions that they'd actually seen a dead human body. They must have gotten really, really comfortable with the idea of Mechamaru being Nekomaru.

- Game, how are you not going to let us check Mechamaru's chest clock when you specifically bring up time of death being a question? Don't tell me Chiaki, Akane, Sonia and Hinata ALL forgot about that feature??

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Chiaki realized she's in a game and hajime is the protagonist. She correctly evaluated that the rubble isnt important until hajime realizes it is, just like the clock.

Or it was just a sarcastic comment, but I like my version better.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zoe posted:

Was he tied to the pillar before it broke?

Hmmm... interesting. Let me play this out in my head. ...not sure, but I don't think so.

There are no stones near his body, the only debris is near where the pillar shattered, which is some distance from the body. I'm not sure how those stones got under there. ...Hmmm... I think that the pillar had to have been knocked over before Nidai was destroyed, and it was moved away. Then Nidai was killed and fell on some of the stone shards. The killer cleaned up all the other stones, but missed those ones. However, I have no idea what that actually means.

I'm a little uneasy about the fact that four of the boys are still missing. However I don't think any are dead.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It sounds like he was strung up using pillars in both the grape and strawberry sides. Wouldn't be surprised if a pillar fell over on the other side too, due to the way the rotating room works.

I don't think the room rotates. There's two sets of doors, an open set and a closed set.

timp posted:

- Game, how are you not going to let us check Mechamaru's chest clock when you specifically bring up time of death being a question? Don't tell me Chiaki, Akane, Sonia and Hinata ALL forgot about that feature??

They didn't forget, the doors are damaged and won't open. Souda might be able to get it open.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Oh. I thought it was a central room that rotated, so depending on what orientation it was at, only one side could ever be accessed at a time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Oh. I thought it was a central room that rotated, so depending on what orientation it was at, only one side could ever be accessed at a time.

If so, then there wouldn't be a closed set of doors at all, only the doors you entered from. ...I bet the elevator is broken. I bet the elevator used to get from house to house is broken. That's why no one else is here yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...well, hey. We do still have someone capable of doing an autopsy. How about that?

Though after last time, is there any reason to trust that?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

timp posted:

They specifically mentioned the chest doors were tightly shut and needed Souda to be opened, though.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They specifically mentioned the chest doors were tightly shut and needed Souda to be opened, though.

Yeah sorry, must have glossed over that. I'll definitely be interested to see what we learn from that clock

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

So, I think I got spoiled on who the killer is again, which kind of sucks. (Don't read the main thread.) But on the other hand, it's making this part more interesting. I've spotted what I think will be the piece of evidence that will conclusively identify them, but I have no idea how the trial will possibly get to that point.

I kind of think the killer might not have even known what they were doing at the time.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

FoolyCharged posted:

Chiaki realized she's in a game and hajime is the protagonist. She correctly evaluated that the rubble isnt important until hajime realizes it is, just like the clock.

She is the Ultimate Gamer. If anyone would realize that, it'd be her.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The pillar makes me wonder if the one who did this to Mechamaru tied part of the wire around him and the other end on the pillar. Would it be possible for them to pull on Mechamaru so that he'd fall over and his weight would topple the pillar on top him? I don't know if that's physically possible, but maybe Nagito's luck might be able to tip things in that result.

I still think it's Kazuichi who shut down Mechamaru, and Nagito used this chance to make sure Mechamaru will not be turned back on.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Art.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Given the pillars, the wires, and the incredible force required to destroy a robot, I would not be surprised if this was some sort of rigged death-trap hooked into (a possible) room rotation device, or the elevator? Knock him out with the button, tie him up, and wait for someone to enter from the other house. This separates the 'time of death' on his clock from the killer who tied him up.

That points the finger at either Souda (rigging the device) or Gundham (hamsters hitting the switch).

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: We talked to everyone else last time. Let's have a look at the other items on the scene. This hammer looks awfully suspicious.

An enormous hammer has been carelessly left on the floor... It's like...it's suspicious because it stands out so much.

: Perhaps...that hammer is the weapon that broke Nekomaru? I do believe a weapon of that size is capable of damaging Nekomaru...

This hammer...is the weapon? But it looks a little too clean. It's almost like it's new or something.

: Also... Where did the killer obtain this hammer? Prior to now, I do not believe I have ever seen an object like this... Was it hidden somewhere?

Good point... There's no supermarket in here. I wonder where they obtained it from?

: Let's examine the door back here.

What is this...? The door at the far back has a chain wrapped around the doorknob...! It looks like it's a sturdy metal chain. It's wrapped around the doorknob from every direction, and it even has a padlock on it...

...Why did they do something like this?

: Perhaps...this was used as an alternative to locking the door with a key?
: If that's the case...you wouldn't be able to enter this tower from the Strawberry Hall side.

: After all...this door should lead to Strawberry Hall.

: If they barred this side of the door with a chain, it would be impossible to open it from Strawberry Hall.

But still...why would they need to bar the door to Strawberry Hall?

: Next, let's check out this pillar.

The pillar next to the door is tipped over...and broken... Did this pillar break when it fell over?

Not just that, there's a strange liquid on the upper section of the pillar. Is this Nekomaru's oil?

This is the only pillar that's tipped over. The other one is still standing... Plus, behind me is the door to Grape Hall...

The two pillars on each side of that door haven't changed either. They're not tipped over...

It's strange that this pillar is the only one that's tipped over. It might mean something...

: I see... I got it...
: Got what...?
: This pillar is the weapon! The killer used this to beat up coach Nekomaru!
: Th-This huge pillar?
: If you got socked by somethin' like this... Even coach Nekomaru wouldn't stand a chance...
: Yeah, well...that's impossible. It'd be too heavy to wield as a weapon...

: ...Hajime, grab that end over there.
: ...Huh?
: We hafta try it out, obviously! C'mon, hurry up!
: F-Fine...!

Jeez...you're more forceful than usual...

: Hnnnnngh! Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh! *Huff puff...!* It's no use! It's barely budgin'!
: ...Didn't I tell you?
: All right... If that's how it's gonna be... My body can take it! Power...times three!

No, seriously... Just give it up already...

: I-It's no use... It won't even budge...
: If two people can't even move this pillar, then it's impossible to use it as a bludgeoning weapon.
: Well, there's only one person who coulda lifted somethin' like this... Robocoach Nekomaru... He's definitely the only one...

I guess for now...I've checked out everything in this place that caught my attention...

: What is it? You seem lost in thought.
: Hmmm, well...
: ...The Final Dead Room.
: The Final Dead Room... What the heck...!? Why are you bringing up that place all of a sudden?

: Well...the hammer on the floor, the chain wrapped around the door at the far back, and the wire that tied up Mechamaru... All the evidence at this crime scene consists of things we've never seen inside this building, doesn't it? But as long as we can't leave, then there's no doubt that they came from somewhere within this building.
: So that's why you mentioned the Final Dead Room... Monokuma said beyond that room, there's an Ultimate Weapon in a place called the Octagon...
: Yeah, so if we think of that place like an armory, then that's where the killer obtained their tools, right?

: If so, let us go confirm it!
: No...that's dangerous. If you go in there, you have to play the Life-Threatening Game...
: Then...I'll be the one who tries to confirm it.
: Wh-What are you saying!? You were the one who said that place was dangerous, right!?

: Man, it's noisy! I can't focus at all with all this noise!
: ...S-Sorry.
: ...Hm? It's not you guys. There's a sound that's been ringing since before the investigation started.

A ringing sound...since before the investigation?

: That reminds me... You've been mentioning that sound for a while, haven't you?

: Akane...what kind of sound is it?
: It's like...this high-pitched, alarm clock sound. It's probably...ringing from upstairs.
: Could it be...? Maybe it's better if we go check out that sound first.

: Hm? Are you gonna go check it out? ...Then...you guys go... I...I'll stay here...
: I shall wait here as well. Please be careful you two.
: Sonia's okay but... How come you're not going Akane?
: Well, that sound is...annoying...and I don't really feel like leaving...

: ...Hajime, it's okay if it's just the two of us. C'mon, Akane said she wants to stay here...

Oh, I get it... She...

...She doesn't want to leave Nekomaru's side. I don't know if she's actually aware of that or not...

: Let's go Hajime.
: ...Yeah, if you say so.

*riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing*

: There is a faint but audible ringing sound in the hall now.

: Now that we've come all the way here... I can definitely hear something. Yep, it sounds like it's coming from the floor above us. But what could it be?

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING*

: The ringing is much louder up here.

: It seems to be coming from the Lounge.

: Jeez, it's so noisy. It looks like that phone is ringing.

The phone, huh...? I guess I'll answer it.

Let's see... Just pick up the receiver and press the strawberry button, right?

*Click...*

: "...Oh, you finally answered!"
: That voice... Is that you, Fuyuhiko?
: "...Jeez, do you know how long the phone was ringing? I was getting worried that no one would pick up."
: Wh-What are you guys doing? Are you all still in Strawberry House?
: "Even if we wanted to go over there...we can't. Looks like someone broke the drat elevator. It's not moving at all... And we can't enter the tower from Strawberry Hall because the door button there is broken, too..."
: "...So basically, we're sitting ducks here."

Not only is the elevator broken, but...the Strawberry Hall door button is broken, too...?

: "...Hey, are you listening?"
: Y-Yeah...I'm listening... Anyway...everyone in Strawberry House is safe, right?
: "We're safe, but...we can't find Nekomary anywhere. Do you know anything?"
: Didn't you hear...the body discovery announcement earlier?
: "Dammit... so that's what it was...!"
: "poo poo! Why did it have to be Nekomaru!? He just came back to us!"
: "..."
: "...Where was he killed?"
: Grape Tower... When I went there this morning, he was already...
: "I see... Grape Tower... If the door to Strawberry Hall wasn't broken, we'd be able to enter the tower and..."
: "...Holy poo poo, that's it! The killer broke the elevator *and* the Strawberry Hall door so they could split everyone up, and prevent us from doing a proper investigation!"
: "Dammit! That dirty bastard!"
: What about another way? Is there any way you guys can come to this side?
: "I guess we just have to let Kazuichi handle it... He said he'd take care of the elevator. I guess he's out only hope right now..."

You're right... Besides, if he doesn't stand out now, when the hell will he, right?

: "Based on what Kazuichi said, it's gonna be hard for him to fix the Strawberry Hall door without parts... But he said he might be able to do something about the broken elevator."
: We'll be waiting... Are you guys going to be okay?
: "Yeah. We'll head over there as soon as Kazuichi fixes the elevator..."
: "Until then, it's up to you bastards!"

*Click...*

: So the call came from Strawberry House?
: Apparently...the others can't come over here because the elevator is broken...
: There's no doubt this is the killer's doing. They've prevented the others from coming to the crime scene. As long as the elevator is out of commission, those guys won't be able to investigate...
: But that's not all... For some reason, even the door button to Strawberry Hall is broken, too.
: The door button to Strawberry Hall...?

: Then that door... Is it blocked from both sides?
: There's a sturdy chain tied around it from the inside, and if the button is also broken on the outside, then...yeah, that seems to be the case.

: Hmmm... Why did the killer need to block both sides of the door?
: I'm not sure...but there is something strange about that...
: I would like to investigate that in more detail, but... If they can't come over here, then we can't go over there.

: Which means...for now, it's impossible to check the Final Dead Room.
: I'm not entirely comfortable with you going over there...but regardless, it's impossible now anyway.
: Apparently Kazuichi is repairing the elevator. All we can do for now is put our hope in him.
: ...You're right.

But Monokuma isn't going to wait. I doubt we have that much time before the class trial starts...

I hope Kazuichi can fix it soon. If not...

???: H...ey...

???: ...A...re you...even liste...ning?

: Hey, are you listening?

: ...Nagito, I'm talkin' to you.
: Don't "huh?" me. I figured you weren't even listening...
: Sorry...I was just thinking...
: Tch, you were probably thinking of something messed up, weren't you?
: But I have been listening to you. Nekomaru was killed, right? Then that body discovery announcement was referring to him...

: Tch... Out of everyone here, it just had to be Nekomaru...
: After what he went through to come back to us... Dammit!
: It's tantamount to being killed twice... Truly...he was a man burden by terrible misfortune...
: Okay, so now that we know the situation over there... Is it all right if I go ahead and fix the elevator?
: Ah, is it all right if you wait a little bit? Before you do that, we should...

: ...Get the Monokuma File, right!?
: Whoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! He's here!
: It seems you guys have noticed that the incident has taken place, so this is for you!

: Red bean bread and milk! And there's a bonus item...

: The Monokuma File!
: C'mon, satisfy your hunger with this, and do your very best on the investigation. *leaves*
: Why...is the Monokuma File being treated like a bonus item...?

: ...Whatever man, let's just eat! Eating should come first right now!
: Y-You're right...!
: It's okay if you guys eat, but can you hear me out while you're at it?
: ...What is it?
: Well, I was thinking about what we should do and I wanted to discuss it.

: Thanks to the killer, we can't even go to the crime scene. We have to wait till Kazuichi fixes the elevator.
: True... There is no doubt that the killer is responsible...
: But it seems as though they made a huge mistake.
: There's no way the "Symbols of Hope" will give up because of this little setback... There's no way everyone will just...cross their arms and wait for the class trial to start...
: We need to do everything we can on our end to prepare for the class trial, right?
: ...W-Well yeah.

: It seems that we too shall begin the investigation on our end. Though it remains unclear how much we can do...
: ...Is this acceptable? If I show my serious side, things will not end with mere child's play.

Ah, I'm so glad! I knew you guys were pumped up from the start!

...How beautiful. Even though you guys are suffering from despair, I can see that you guys are still fighting for hope... Ah, such beauty.

There is no higher honor for me than to investigate this murder with you guys. So...we need to be grateful toward Nekomaru for becoming the foundation of this hope...

Well, regardless... Whose side should I be on for this case? The killer...? Or the rest of you guys...? I must make sure I face this case's mystery properly if I'm going to find out which side is the true hope.

: Aha...hahahahaha...

: Next time: oh no

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh, so that's what his name means. Has he been the narrator this entire time?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sudden protagonist shift ho!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
And now for someone completely different. This should be good :allears:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

: Next time: oh no

I think this sums it up.

Okay, thoughts:

- I have no reason to think that the tower rotates. It might, this used to be a Fun House, but I have seen nothing to support the idea that it does. There are two sets of doors, not one set, so there's no reason for this to rotate. On the other hand, I don't have any idea how Nekomaru was killed, and it clearly wasn't with the unused decoy hammer.

- I believe that the killer has to be in Strawberry House. But I'll look at it from both sides. I am making the assumption that the sabotage of the doors and such took place after the murder.

The elevator is at Strawberry House. We know this because Souda can try to fix it.
The chain was put on when the tower was connected to Grape House

Strawberry House Killer:
- Killer starts in Grape Tower, uses a chain to lock the door.
- Killer takes the elevator to Strawberry House.
- Killer breaks the elevator
- Killer breaks the button to open the Strawberry Tower door.

Grape House Killer simulation #1:
- Tower is connected to Strawberry House,
- killer closes the door, breaks the button.
- Killer takes the elevator to Grape House, opens Grape Tower, chains the door.
- Killer can't send the elevator back.

Grape House Killer simulation #2:
- Tower is connected to Strawberry House,
- Killer breaks the elevator
- Killer breaks the Strawberry House button.
- Killer can't change the tower to Grape Tower.

...the two broken items on the Strawberry House side means that there's no way that the killer could break both of them and then return to Grape House to chain the door - not without leaving the elevator on the Grape House side. The killer has to be in Strawberry House. I don't think Nagito works as a suspect since we're controlling him, and Kuzuryuu doesn't seem to fit with his new mindset. So that leaves Gundham and Souda as the strongest suspects. And one of them is a stronger suspect than the other.

Interesting that we're controlling a totally separate person for this side of the investigation. How will control of the two characters play out at trial, since obviously neither one has all the information.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You play as Komaeda for this chapter? :allears:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh man, here we go.

It's interesting to me that no one tried to pick up the hammer - if it's like Stabbey says and it's a trick, it may be much lighter than it looks. But of course they try to pick up the pillar!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh this is cool, I didn't see this coming.

- Killer starts in Grape Tower, uses a chain to lock the door.

I feel lost. The strawberry door leads to Grape, right? And the grape door leads to Strawberry?

The door to Strawberry is chained locked from the Grape side. How does someone from the Grape side chain the doors then enter, using the elevator to return to Strawberry? Do you think that the doors themselves move between Grape and Strawberry? Isn't it more likely that they're separate doors, with a space between that's used as the (silent, unmoving) elevator?

I can't follow your reasoning.

(there is no elevator, they all note how quiet and still it is. It's just a space between the two towers, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Interesting that we're controlling a totally separate person for this side of the investigation. How will control of the two characters play out at trial, since obviously neither one has all the information.

They can just share evidence before the trial.

On the other hand, dual control during the trial would mean the protagonists no longer have plot armor. Hajime has too many memory issues to be considered reliable, and Nagito is Nagito, so both of them are now suspect.

• Locked thread