Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Jon Jones guilty?
This poll is closed.
Of course 89 55.28%
No way 6 3.73%
We'll wait and see 8 4.97%
Chael was right 58 36.02%
Total: 161 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Can Jon Jones' hot piss melt steel beams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bombadilillo posted:

Im not one for :tinfoil: but passing all through leading up to the fight and then popping for a long term use substance doesn't make sense. That why I asked if the concentrated from the weight cut, has any basis in chemical reality.

That is a theory some people are speculating, that he tried to take it at a level that is too low to detect, but he failed to account for what happens when he's dehydrated.

Its more plausible than someone nefariously somehow getting it into his system without his knowledge.

mewse
May 2, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

The UFC covering an initial failure up is pretty dumb considering they didn't do that for 200 if it were even a possibility.

USADA is larger than the UFC. They're a NGO non-profit that receives federal funding. They do the testing for the olympics. Their integrity is more valuable than "well the UFC pays us I guess we can bury these test results".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The most plausible theory, of course, still being the one that is "he's a fuckup"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EmmyOk posted:

The UFC covering an initial failure up is pretty dumb considering they didn't do that for 200 if it were even a possibility.

Its also USADA, hiring them as an independent administrator is literally the only thing that made people pause and go "oh..... huh, I guess the UFC is actually getting serious". USADA is pretty much above question in the world of anti-doping.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mewse posted:

USADA is larger than the UFC. They're a NGO non-profit that receives federal funding. They do the testing for the olympics. Their integrity is more valuable than "well the UFC pays us I guess we can bury these test results".

Yep. Uncovering proof that USADA is helping the UFC cheat their own anti-doping system would be explosive news to the point of being an existential threat to USADA itself. There would be a massive congressional investigation.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Well off course that's what they'd want you guys to think.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If the pills fo yo dick
You must acquit.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mewse posted:

Oh yeah I know. I meant even if that guy thought a cover-up was possible then they had way better times they would have chosen for example 200.

e: In no way do I there ever was or is covering up, just entertaining tesilentials idea and even then it wouldn't make sense.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 13, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Was adding to your comment not arguing against it :hfive:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EmmyOk posted:

Oh yeah I know. I meant even if that guy thought a cover-up was possible then they had way better times they would have chosen for example 200.

The most I might go along with is a situation where if some samples for several fighters on a card were collected at the borderline of being before/after the fight and the UFC refuses to pay extra to fast-track those samples.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like Nevada must have approved a request to add a 13th bout. If not formally, then informally.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/908075554011676672

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LobsterMobster posted:

:qq:

JT$ got hit with a potential USADA violation

gently caress THIS DUMB SPORT

gently caress

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The filthy cheating JT Money got what he deserved. I'm glad the sport is a little bit cleaner now that he's gone.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

Looks like Nevada must have approved a request to add a 13th bout. If not formally, then informally.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/908075554011676672

wonder if mighty mouse will still fight when borg misses weight

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

He needs the money, so probably

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Chris James 2 posted:

The most plausible theory, of course, still being the one that is "he's a fuckup"

Yeah, exactly.

Bombadilillo posted:

Jones a cheater? Yeah Not surprising.
Jones gets caught? Not surprising.
???
Jones being fine for a long term substance until the test that wont be revealed til after the fight? Suspicious as gently caress.

Its just all weird. The events don't add up.

You can balance the equation by substituting "JBJ is a huge dumbass and has way lower doping IQ than fight IQ" for ???.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Rogan said he will have Novitsky on his podcast very soon to discuss the Jones case

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
even though jones is a cheater and a gently caress up i hope he can pull some poo poo out of a hat and just lose posting privileges for 1 year because he's really good at fighting

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Triticum Guzzler posted:

even though jones is a cheater and a gently caress up i hope he can pull some poo poo out of a hat and just lose posting privileges for 1 year because he's really good at fighting

The shorter the suspension the fewer times we have to see DC fight random middleweights before Jon tries to beat his time trial record.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Wasn't Jones' testosterone level suspiciously low before the his first fight against DC? Even though he didn't get caught for that one it seems likely he's been cheating this whole time.

Bombadilillo posted:

Im not one for :tinfoil: but passing all through leading up to the fight and then popping for a long term use substance doesn't make sense. That why I asked if the concentrated from the weight cut, has any basis in chemical reality.

Jones a cheater? Yeah Not surprising.
Jones gets caught? Not surprising.
Jones being fine for a long term substance until the test that wont be revealed til after the fight? Suspicious as gently caress.

Its just all weird. The events don't add up.
But there are multiple plausible explanations. What if USADA introduced a new test that caught something that previously would not have been caught? Or if he was taking the steroid in conjunction other masking agents and hosed up the exact dosages? That Icarus documentary mentioned earlier talks about a drug cocktail that keeps steroids from entering the blood system and evades long-term metabolite tests. The fact that he didn't fail the earlier tests is not proof that he was clean during those tests, it could also mean that those tests weren't good enough to catch what he was taking.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 13, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Counterpoint: he looked like dogshit in the one fight we are pretty sure he didn't juice for

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Vengarr posted:

Counterpoint: he looked like dogshit in the one fight we are pretty sure he didn't juice for

He looked way too in shape this time around, but I have loved to see DC fight dismantle that version of Jones.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

Jones def did/does steroids. IMO the only interesting conspiracy theory shout out to the NY badass is did he fail at least one other test before the fight and it was covered up until after the fight? Nonbelievers will be quick to say "bbbut the testing is completely anonymous" but I can easily refute that by stating that UFC hires USADA and can dictate to them anything they want.

they cant. it would be a big scandal if they did since usada handle most olympic sports in the usa and plenty of other ones besides that

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Bluedeanie posted:

James Thompson weren't in the UFC

:(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

Under the newish "if someone misses weight" rules it might still be considered a title defence. In the event of a challenger missing weight and winning, the title becomes vacant. I remember reading about that when the current "one-way title shot" rules (e.g. Holloway-Pettis) became official practice a few years back, but I can't find it now.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Under the newish "if someone misses weight" rules it might still be considered a title defence. In the event of a challenger missing weight and winning, the title becomes vacant. I remember reading about that when the current "one-way title shot" rules (e.g. Holloway-Pettis) became official practice a few years back, but I can't find it now.

I don't believe the title becomes vacant if the challenger misses weight and wins. Its no longer a title fight and doesn't count as a title defense (which is why people were saying DJ would be screwed if TJ missed weight). The basic idea is the guy who has the disadvantage (made weight) isn't punished by a loss, which is why the challenger still gets the belt if he beats a champ who misses weight

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
What is an Alex Reyes?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

nwo hatchet man posted:

What is an Alex Reyes?

It appears that he hasn't fought in 2 years, Platinum Mike on three days notice is a hell of a comeback fight.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I assumed they would have lined up Belal since his opponent fell through too

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Work Friend Keven posted:

The filthy cheating JT Money got what he deserved. I'm glad the sport is a little bit cleaner now that he's gone.

Lol

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

NoDamage posted:

Wasn't Jones' testosterone level suspiciously low before the his first fight against DC? Even though he didn't get caught for that one it seems likely he's been cheating this whole time.
But there are multiple plausible explanations. What if USADA introduced a new test that caught something that previously would not have been caught? Or if he was taking the steroid in conjunction other masking agents and hosed up the exact dosages? That Icarus documentary mentioned earlier talks about a drug cocktail that keeps steroids from entering the blood system and evades long-term metabolite tests. The fact that he didn't fail the earlier tests is not proof that he was clean during those tests, it could also mean that those tests weren't good enough to catch what he was taking.

I'm sure he was dirty during those tests.

I want to know why the tests failed.
The blood vs urine could explain it fully but I'd love an article on that as opposed to a goon who said it backwards.
Also the weight cut concentration seems layman plausable. But could easily be way off.

Gotta catch these things before the fight if your gonna catch them. Now I had to watch DC cry :mad:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
layman plausable lmao

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Let us all agree that the ufc must immediately cut daniel cormier

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Hell not before his superfight against, I don't know, maybe Chris wideman or something

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Cormier was reinstated as the champ at 205.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
bet that feels weird

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Good

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bundt Cake posted:

old but I want to bring it up again. carefully worded, except he forgot to say jones didnt do it

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/22/16187568/jon-jones-manager-camp-release-statement-on-positive-drug-test

Aha I love this quote. Meticulous work doesn't seem appropriate to 'not taking shitloads of venom from bane's repository'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Jones has to have the record for most stripped champion right?

• Locked thread