Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

you're splitting hairs and finish up by repeating what i said. :nallears:

OK Mrs. Midwestern Grandma who adds white sugar to spaghetti sauce because golly it's just too hot for me

e: new page bad chili

Xen Tricks has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Xen Tricks posted:

OK Mrs. Bullshit strawman who blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This thread is doing a really good job of reminding me why I don't read GWS.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

chitoryu12 posted:

You put sugar in an Old Fashioned, but that sure as hell doesn't make it taste sweet.

Sure, but why would you ever get one instead of a Manhattan?

Haifisch posted:

"If your food is slightly oversalted, you can balance it out a bit with sugar."

"WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?"

Don't put in too much salt to begin with? Also, that wouldn't be a part of the recipe.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Xen Tricks posted:

OK Mrs. Midwestern Grandma who adds white sugar to spaghetti sauce because golly it's just too hot for me

Stop posting in this thread.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And all the nonnas who throughout the ages have added sugar or honey to the spaghetti sauces handed down from generation to generation are just wussy assholes who don't know poo poo about cooking.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

And all the nonnas who throughout the ages have added sugar or honey to the spaghetti sauces handed down from generation to generation are just wussy assholes who don't know poo poo about cooking.

Yes, actually

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Stop posting in this thread.

No, actually

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

doverhog posted:

Don't put in too much salt to begin with? Also, that wouldn't be a part of the recipe.
Lots of recipes tell you to add salt to taste. It's also possible to cook things without strictly adhering to someone else's recipe, especially when adjusting seasonings to however you like it.

No poo poo you should avoid putting in too much salt, but adding sugar is a common tip for fixing slight oversalting(mostly in soups/stews/other stuff with a highly liquid component). And oversalting is going to happen every once in a while, unless you're some sort of wizard who always knows the exact breakpoint between the right amount of salt and too much.

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Sep 13, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Xen Tricks posted:

Yeah, but acidic flavors don't need balancing, they need complementing.

Holy poo poo goons do not know how to cook

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Holy poo poo goons do not know how to cook
Midwestern grandma spotted.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hm.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Haifisch posted:

Lots of recipes tell you to add salt to taste. It's also possible to cook things without strictly adhering to someone else's recipe, especially when adjusting seasonings to however you like it.

No poo poo you should avoid putting in too much salt, but adding sugar is a common tip for fixing slight oversalting(mostly in soups/stews/other stuff with a highly liquid component). And oversalting is going to happen every once in a while, unless you're some sort of wizard who always knows the exact breakpoint between the right amount of salt and too much.

Never use a recipe for stews or soups, and apparently am a salt wizard. Fortunate, as there is no sugar in my pantry.

However I'm not arguing that your nonna is a sugar monster, and actually thought this was the unpopular opinions thread when making the first fish sauce comparison post. :coolfish:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Please be circus peanuts in aspic.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Please be circus peanuts in aspic.

They certainly are circus peanuts.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What the gently caress are those salt and pepper shakers in hollowed out lemons?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

They certainly are circus peanuts.

Circusized peanuts

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chicago, home of the worst boilermaker, much like they're home of the worst pizza.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scientastic posted:

What the gently caress are those salt and pepper shakers in hollowed out lemons?

I feel like this question answers itself. Perhaps you want to know why the gently caress are those salt and pepper shakers in hollowed out lemons? The answer is probably 'the 70s' somehow

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Something something lemon pepper.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

Chicago, home of the worst boilermaker, much like they're home of the worst pizza.

Hey, Chicago has brought us a lot of terrible things. The Great Chicago Fire, Al Capone, Peter Cetera, and the horrible, still-lingering infestation of Cubs fans. But even a northern enemy like me has to admit, they do some pretty good pizza.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Hey, boiled peanuts soaked in beer might be pretty good! Wait, those aren't... What in the? Those aren't what I think they...

:stare:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Mushika posted:

Hey, boiled peanuts soaked in beer might be pretty good! Wait, those aren't... What in the? Those aren't what I think they...

Straight from the bottom of grandmas purse.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mushika posted:

It had to be circus peanuts. :(

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

It had to be circus peanuts. :(

Please tell me that is Old Style light, Malort, and circus peanuts. Makes it even worse

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I am a broken human because I really like circus peanuts but what the gently caress are they doing in beer

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I am a broken human because I really like circus peanuts but what the gently caress are they doing in beer

See. that's where you are making your mistake. Thinking Old Style Light is a beer...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What is a circus peanut? Is this a regional thing?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Prism posted:

The region is hell

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's like a marshmallowish thing in the shape of a bloated peanut that tastes like a banana candle.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Prism posted:

It's a nice peanut

For a clown to wear

To the circus

Idiot

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Plinkey posted:

It's like a marshmallowish thing in the shape of a bloated peanut that tastes like a banana candle.

This isn't real life.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just now i learned that circus peanuts led to the creation of Lucky Charms cereal.

quote:

According to the General Mills blog, Lucky Charms were created in 1963 by General Mills employee John Holahan after he chopped of pieces of Circus Peanuts into a bowl of Cheerios and fell in love with the flavor combo. Today, those small marshmallow bits are called "marbits" and are what makes the cereal so "magically delicious."

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I thought they were Vienna sausages.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jyrraeth posted:

I thought they were Vienna sausages.

I'm not sure which is worse, but it's probably this.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

It's a nice peanut

For a clown to wear

To the circus

Idiot

:golfclap:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Why. Why? Kefta doesn't have to look like this. It's delicious and you can make little flat meatballs out of it or flat strips or... literally anything besides the Two Dookie Special.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

This thread is doing a really good job of reminding me why I don't read GWS.

We're not assholes since Whirled Peas, generally. Barring claiming to have The One True Recipe for X.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i use brown sugar when i make pad thai. pad thai is great because it has like every food group and every spice/flavor category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sugar + fish sauce combo is in like all of southeast Asian food.