Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Capcom, long partner of Nintendo and Japanese business kin whose sole Switch entry far exceeded expectations: No, porting these old Nintendo games wouldn't be worth it.

Bethesda, American company who last published a Where's Waldo game on Nintendo in the eighties and hasn't sold a single unit of software yet: Yes we are on board let's port two next gen first person shooters

I can't get over this. Bethesda is all in and I loving love it.

I really don't mind that stuff beyond January is unknown, I'm totally good for the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ANybody manage to beat the bartender with Olberic in the Octopath demo? I shouldn't have wasted my fire items on the main boss I almost had her i think.

Also does anyone know if the lady looking for monuments to the king's Quest can be done in the demo? I managed to do the other quest I found by beating up an old man in a bar.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Wait for the Jan/Feb direct if you really want big new game announcements.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ultra Beasts ARE new Pokemon. I mean, you'd have to have a very conservative idea of what a new Pokemon is for them not to count.

Also, what version has ever added a new Legendary that isn't a form change of an existing one? That's never happened before.

That's sorta happened with Legendary pokemon that in the files of the base games but weren't obtainable until the 3rd version.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I have it on ps4. The insert is reversible.

Really? That just makes the choice to have the boring dimly lit Doom Marine version as the default even more confusing :psyduck:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's sorta happened with Legendary pokemon that in the files of the base games but weren't obtainable until the 3rd version.

those are event Pokemon. kind of a different animal altogether.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Was iffy on that console MOBA but it has Batman so gently caress it I'd play that beta

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

I really don't mind that stuff beyond January is unknown, I'm totally good for the year

Yeah, I'm fine with it. Nintendo was pretty upfront that this was primarily for games in the next few months and they didn't stretch too far beyond Spring 2018 with the odd game or two and with stuff like Mario and Fire Emblem coming yeah I'mma just sit right here and wait for that next Direct with these fuckin' games!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Edit: So I'm going to pick up Doom and Wolfenstein even though I don't like that genre of games just because I want to send the message that we want more of that type of game. Am I crazy?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bloodplay it again posted:

hey, a non-ugly red Joycon why didn't you guys just release that poo poo in March

edit: PSO 2 on Switch in Japan but not in US :cry: It's never coming out here

Learn to read Japanese and download the Japanese client on to your Switch. :japan:

(PSO2 would almost certainly be a financial failure in the west)

cheetah7071 posted:

That game didn't look very good

The blade NPCs need to disappear during combat at the very least. Story is sounding more and more complicated when one of the good things about XC was that the story was pretty straightforward, until the very end at which point the game made drat sure you knew you were playing a Xeno game.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Giant tity hotpants babyface girl is absolutely loving creepy.

I think Lin(?) in XCX was worse but they're both incredibly bad fanservice.

Roth posted:

Will Doomguy or BJ be in the next Smash game?

Nightmare option: Dovahkin will be in the Smash game

Doomguy using the BFG as his final smash and various glory kills as his grabs would be awesome.

Calaveron posted:

I think the biggest news is the confirmation that Octopath Traveler is a (Working Title) and as such has the potential to have a less stupid title

They've always said it's a working title and I've always said the real title is going to be SaGa Frontier 3.

I don't care what SE eventually calls it, this game is a SaGa game through and through. :colbert:

Tender Bender posted:

I love that after 8 months we get more info on Octopath Traveler and it turns out that the name means the most literal thing it could possibly be.

We already knew the game featured 8 different characters and their stories. Like, that was mentioned in the original announcement of the game.

bull3964 posted:

From Engadget.

Anyone buying a digital version of DOOM is going to need a 128gb microSD card at the bare minimum as well.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

DeadBonesBrook posted:

If we had any piece of news about new Pikmin, AC mobile. Metroid Prime 4, MHXX, or some new first party game being released after December then it would have been worth it. A lot of the Direct felt like filler as a result (did we really need to hear the Xenoblade instruction manual?)
This isn't supposed to get you HYPEEEED up for the Switch. It's to cover some of the more notable stuff they've got coming out in the next few months. They do directs basically quarterly at this point so I'm sure you'll get a bunch of 2018 news in January.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Policenaut posted:

(i.e. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Dragon Quest Heroes) that stumbled far below the original releases in success. It's definitely not a "On Switch? Instant Cash!" thing that some people seem to think it is.

Dragon Quest Heroes was grossly overpriced and had a demo with an atrociously bad frame rate, and Xenoverse 2 literally sold out its first print run.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am gobsmacked they crammed DooM into a switch cart.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Randy Pitchford hobbles into Reggies office. After seeing Doom and Wolfenstein II coming out for the Switch he's there to offer Gearbox's best shooters. Reggie open palm slaps Randy in the face so hard he flies through the nearby window and slams into the parking lot leaving a crater in the ground like a DragonBall Z fight

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Also, Xenoblade comes out on my birthday. I'm pretty excited because it looks decent, but the stuff about it in the Direct (aka the instruction manual) was lame and boring. I'm hoping I get a good birthday present and not a lovely one.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

The Lobster posted:

Edit: So I'm going to pick up Doom and Wolfenstein even though I don't like that genre of games just because I want to send the message that we want more of that type of game. Am I crazy?

I pick up games i am luke warm on sometimes if I know its sales will lead to future games. Thats why I bought DQ Builders on the PS4 (as well as Heroes), but then I ended up liking it a lot even though I wasn't into Minecraft.

Doom is decent, though I played it on the hardest setting I could on the first play through and got frustrated with it, and instead of lowering difficulty, ended up putting it down half way through and haven't touched it since. Its a good game, I just need to lower the drat difficulty since I am rust on FPS.

That said, seeing the improvement on playing it on a PS4 Pro in boost mode over the stock PS4... I am interested to see how it runs on the Switch. I wonder what they have to limit (I assume low draw distances as well as 30fps and reduced quality assets).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Can't believe I went into this thinking Fallout 4 was on the plate and instead it's actually even better poo poo from Bethesda. Now please somehow port every fucken Dishonored game into this portable system and we can call it a day

gently caress I'm so excited to play DOOM again, ANYWHERE

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Evil Fluffy posted:

Learn to read Japanese and download the Japanese client on to your Switch. :japan:

(PSO2 would almost certainly be a financial failure in the west)

I played PSO2 from 2013 to 2014 on the PC and the biggest issue is creating a Japanese SEGA account because it requires you to do enter a Japanese captcha code. I tried reinstalling it a few months back but could not get any of the English translation stuff working properly. Also, there was a third-party utility that hooked into the game and allowed you to search for items in English, but I don't think it works any more either. It's pretty frustrating because the SEA version was translated, but they shut down the servers in May, so aside from spot-checking localization, all they really needed to do was setup some east/west coast servers and replace the Arks Cash system with something more friendly towards American ducats.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Roth posted:

Will Doomguy or BJ be in the next Smash game?

Nightmare option: Dovahkin will be in the Smash game

Retro Option: Commander Keen

The character created after they couldn't get Nintendo to agree to let them port Super Mario Bros. 3 to the PC finally appears in a game with Mario.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What if Metroid Prime 4's mystery developer is loving id.

We don't deserve a Metroid game that blows away expectations as much as DOOM did.

Zelder posted:

I'm going to buy the new monster Hunter but I'm not even gonna blink when capcom kills the series after it fails to reach some ludicrous 20 million sales target

Don't worry, they'll turn it in to a freemium mobile game like they did to Breath of Fire. :cry:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just watched the Direct. I can't believe Reggie travelled all the way to Japan just to take a hammer to the computer that holds Mother 3's source code.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
is nintendo officially DOOMed now?

oops please tell me the joke isn't probatable yet

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Looks like Japan was pretty happy with that Direct. 66% "very good" rating.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes was grossly overpriced and had a demo with an atrociously bad frame rate, and Xenoverse 2 literally sold out its first print run.

I don't think anyone really wants to have a figures discussion but Xenoverse 2's first week sales on Switch were down 63% from the original PS4 release. I couldn't find a digestion rate on the Switch release but I'll take you on your word that it was 100% and keep an eye out for MC's next week's figures. Key point I was driving at was that just shoving out a release onto Switch at this point isn't guaranteed to be a smash hit and I just picked those two because they're two notable downturns.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

When the gently caress is stardew coming out for lands' sake

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
Never finished Doom on my PC. Curious to see how small they can shrink the install size.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Furry Hunter posted:

Never finished Doom on my PC. Curious to see how small they can shrink the install size.

making the multiplayer portion will go a long way. it's so loving large on even ps4 because of all that additional bullshit.

if it still looks great and at 60fps then the guys at id Games deserve all the loving accolades.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Enjoying the Octopath demo, I'm not seeing anything revolutionary but it's nice that the story/combat is alright. I'm all about a solid RPG with some great visuals.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Really? That just makes the choice to have the boring dimly lit Doom Marine version as the default even more confusing :psyduck:

Bethesda are really, really bad at marketing.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Seriously though, is there any good reason why Sega's big money maker PSO2 isn't officially coming to US? It's almost laughable at this point

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Octopath is pretty fun but holy moly I wish RPGs didn't have any voice acting. I didn't realize I could turn it 100% down until a while in.

I'll probably pick it up.

What it did do, though, was make me want FFT remade in Unreal engine in this style.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Ventana posted:

Seriously though, is there any good reason why Sega's big money maker PSO2 isn't officially coming to US? It's almost laughable at this point

At this point, we probably shouldn't even care. The only thing worse than your country not getting a game entirely is when it gets a game 5+ years later with little-to-no support and is killed off nearly immediately after release. I think it's amazing that Sega would rather invest time, money, and effort into getting their game to work with cloud computing rather than sink those resources into just setting up the game in NA. They could possibly gain thousands of new players, but instead they're gonna devote all those resources into... cloud computing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Lobster posted:

Also, Xenoblade comes out on my birthday. I'm pretty excited because it looks decent, but the stuff about it in the Direct (aka the instruction manual) was lame and boring. I'm hoping I get a good birthday present and not a lovely one.

Mario Odyssey is on my birthday! I WIN.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

no animal crossing? no isabelle ?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

At this point, we probably shouldn't even care. The only thing worse than your country not getting a game entirely is when it gets a game 5+ years later with little-to-no support and is killed off nearly immediately after release. I think it's amazing that Sega would rather invest time, money, and effort into getting their game to work with cloud computing rather than sink those resources into just setting up the game in NA. They could possibly gain thousands of new players, but instead they're gonna devote all those resources into... cloud computing.

At least we can take solace that Sega of Japan doesn't try too hard to lock out foreigners on PC who are using English patches these days... Right? :ohdear:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

a.lo posted:

no animal crossing? no isabelle ?

Keep it in your pants...

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Looks like Japan was pretty happy with that Direct. 66% "very good" rating.

I don't think anyone really wants to have a figures discussion but Xenoverse 2's first week sales on Switch were down 63% from the original PS4 release. I couldn't find a digestion rate on the Switch release but I'll take you on your word that it was 100% and keep an eye out for MC's next week's figures.

They tweeted that the physical edition was in low quantities nationwide (just checking, it's sold out / backordered on Amazon, Yodobashi, and Nojima) and they would be shipping more later in the month, and that the early purchase DLC would ship with all games printed before the end of the year.

It's interesting that they low balled demand that severely, and I wonder how severely that will impact overall sales.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Lobster posted:

have you played the new doom or the most recent Wolfenstein? you might like them

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Thank god sport ball comes out tomorrow

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

eonwe posted:

have you played the new doom or the most recent Wolfenstein? you might like them

No but that is a good point. I don't play outside my comfort zone enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

eonwe posted:

You have to have brainworms to not love GOTY 2016 and literal best shooter since Doom, DOOM.

• Locked thread