Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Congrats to all for recent successes. Meanwhile I'm studying concepts that people never used but Cisco created whole tests around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have recommendations for MCSA Server 2012 (or just the 70-410 to start) videos? I've got the Sybex book and a lab set up at home that I've been using, but I like to watch videos too, especially when I hit a slow point up at work.

I see a couple of options on Udemy, and I could restart my Pluralsight subscription if anyone vouches for it. CBTNuggets is a bit more than I want to spend but if people love it I could always do it for a month or two and cancel.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
This isn't really applicable to my current situation, but something I've been wondering about for down the road - what do people do for licenses when setting up Windows home labs? I know you get 6 months as a trial but is that it? Just learn all you can in 6 months?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Space Racist posted:

This isn't really applicable to my current situation, but something I've been wondering about for down the road - what do people do for licenses when setting up Windows home labs? I know you get 6 months as a trial but is that it? Just learn all you can in 6 months?

You can always reinstall and get another 6 months, also you can probably backup the machines or something and revert, though with DCs and such that will cause some funky poo poo obviously.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

MF_James posted:

You can always reinstall and get another 6 months, also you can probably backup the machines or something and revert, though with DCs and such that will cause some funky poo poo obviously.

Oh, totally didn't realize the trial just resets upon reinstallation. Also seems like a good excuse for practicing migrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Space Racist posted:

Not applicable for everyone but I work at a university and have access to Microsoft Imagine and thus free legitimate copies of Windows 7, 10, Server 2012, 2016, etc.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Why on earth isn't there a equivalent of Microsoft Imagine for everyone? VMware EvalExperience is so important. Having to do the reinstall dance for Microsoft OSs is just ridiculous. Glad there's a free version of SQL and Visual Studio at least.

e: Okay it's a bad equivalency because Imagine is free and includes Client OS. I'm more surprised that Microsoft doesn't have a cheap service for sys admins to lab their server OSs.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 5, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

KillHour posted:

I once drove to another state on a Friday when I was supposed to be going back home because some hot poo poo customer insisted our software was at fault and they were gonna go with someone else if we didn't fix it. Then, when I got there, the IT manager pulled out a loving shotgun and said "You're not leaving until it's fixed." They had 50+ ms jitter and 70% packet loss at 10mbps. :fuckoff:

...Sorry. What were we talking about again?

Wait, an actual shotgun? How did your boss react when you told him that?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

skooma512 posted:

What did the police say when you called 911 and said you were being held against your will?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

It was an IT guy. The shotgun probably shot marshmallows.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

It was an IT guy. The shotgun probably shot marshmallows.

It was real (although one of those antique ones for show). My company was more concerned that the customer is happy now, TBH. Besides, the customer was a hospital. If you're gonna get shot, may as well have been there. :haw:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

It's funny, because I work for a software company but I have a networking background. It's ALWAYS the loving network. "Your code is a piece of poo poo and doesn't work" translates to "Our network is poo poo and doesn't work." Don't loving tell me "It can't be the network, our engineers checked everything" when all you did is ping the loving camera from the recorder. I once drove to another state on a Friday when I was supposed to be going back home because some hot poo poo customer insisted our software was at fault and they were gonna go with someone else if we didn't fix it. Then, when I got there, the IT manager pulled out a loving shotgun and said "You're not leaving until it's fixed." They had 50+ ms jitter and 70% packet loss at 10mbps. :fuckoff:

...Sorry. What were we talking about again?

w...what

KillHour posted:

It was real (although one of those antique ones for show). My company was more concerned that the customer is happy now, TBH. Besides, the customer was a hospital. If you're gonna get shot, may as well have been there. :haw:

you..still..work there?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Can anyone recommend any good videos/books/whatever other study material for Juniper JCNIA certification for someone who already has a CCNA? I'm mainly looking for the major differences in the interfaces as I don't need concepts like subnetting explained again. I do a lot better with videos. Also I have just ordered a SRX 210 off Ebay so hopefully I can get some hands on time with JUNOS. It wont arrive for at least a week so does anyone know any way I can play with JUNOS until then?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Why on earth isn't there a equivalent of Microsoft Imagine for everyone? VMware EvalExperience is so important. Having to do the reinstall dance for Microsoft OSs is just ridiculous. Glad there's a free version of SQL and Visual Studio at least.

e: Okay it's a bad equivalency because Imagine is free and includes Client OS. I'm more surprised that Microsoft doesn't have a cheap service for sys admins to lab their server OSs.

I just wish MS extended Azure trials for more than a month. I need way more than that to prep for an exam and now that I've started reading up for the 70-413, it's relevant once more.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Am I crazy for thinking that 70-410 seems like it might be kinda easy?

Or is this one of those things where I might understand the material but Microsoft will do its damndest to ask stupid obtuse questions like if I need to uninstall Server-Gui-Mgt-Infra and Server-Gui-Shell or Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra and Server-Gui-Shell to convert from Standard to Core?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that 70-410 seems like it might be kinda easy?

Or is this one of those things where I might understand the material but Microsoft will do its damndest to ask stupid obtuse questions like if I need to uninstall Server-Gui-Mgt-Infra and Server-Gui-Shell or Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra and Server-Gui-Shell to convert from Standard to Core?

The second one definitely

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Microsoft exams are bullshit from the ninth circle of hell don't do them

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Microsoft exams are bullshit from the ninth circle of hell don't do them

Pretty convinced I need MCSA 2012 to get my foot in the door re: systems administration cause I'm not having a ton of luck as it is. If nothing else it's a structured study plan.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It can't hurt to get in, but now that I'm firmly in with a strong enough resume, and with how varied the field is, I can't see myself going back.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It can't hurt to get in, but now that I'm firmly in with a strong enough resume, and with how varied the field is, I can't see myself going back.

Back to systems administration? Or back to Microsoft certifications?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

gently caress Microsoft certs forever. Cisco certs spoiled me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Back to systems administration? Or back to Microsoft certifications?
Yeah back to Microsoft certs :)

An example - Once you're in with your MCSA, consider the amount of effort it'll take to get to your MCSE. In that amount of effort for one line on your resume, you could learn Docker, AWS, Scrum, Hadoop, Chef and Powershell to a pretty reasonable baseline.

Definitely glad to move on from Microsoft certifications.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 13, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I think I just have to suffer through MCSA 2012, and maybe the delta for MCSA 2016, and hopefully never again. I did the 70-680 years back and I remember it being bullshit.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I can't get the motivation to finish my CCNP SWITCH when still trying to find a job. This is infuriating.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Yeah, I think I just have to suffer through MCSA 2012, and maybe the delta for MCSA 2016, and hopefully never again. I did the 70-680 years back and I remember it being bullshit.

Right now the advice I'm seeing everywhere is to get the 2012 MCSA and then upgrade to 2016 - is there any estimate to how long until it's more worthwhile to just pursue 2016 outright and skip 2012?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Space Racist posted:

Right now the advice I'm seeing everywhere is to get the 2012 MCSA and then upgrade to 2016 - is there any estimate to how long until it's more worthwhile to just pursue 2016 outright and skip 2012?

You'll get some people in this thread still (reasonably, I think) recommending that you consider doing the MCSA 2008 and then the two upgrades to 2012 and 2016 so... probably a while.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of MCSA 2012, roughly what's the percentage of questions asking you how to do things in Powershell versus GUI?

Cause I'm kind of hoping it doesn't stress the GUI much. I'm not an expert in Powershell but it's a whole lot more worthwhile for me to spend time learning that than pointing and clicking.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Speaking of MCSA 2012, roughly what's the percentage of questions asking you how to do things in Powershell versus GUI?

Cause I'm kind of hoping it doesn't stress the GUI much. I'm not an expert in Powershell but it's a whole lot more worthwhile for me to spend time learning that than pointing and clicking.

Hope you know what each option in the view menu of ADUC does.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I'd go RHCSA over MCSA any day of the week.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Red Hat should learn from Microsoft and start writing questions about obscure and deprecated commands that nobody ever even uses.

It's important for Linux administrators to demonstrate proficiency in using the ddate command, including knowing what %X does.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

LochNessMonster posted:

I'd go RHCSA over MCSA any day of the week.

I've basically never touched Linux and it's not really used where I work. With MCSA I'll at least be able to combine my certification with some real-world experience. RHCSA would be all home lab, and I know that's valuable, but it'd also be similar to my current CCNA certification which feels somewhat worthless to me now given that I haven't touched Cisco equipment in a professional capacity since I earned it.

Definitely have nothing against looking at RHCSA once I finish this though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

RHCSA is where I'm going after ICND1.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

skooma512 posted:

RHCSA is where I'm going after ICND1.

Why not do ICND2 immediately then go RHCSA?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Red Hat should learn from Microsoft and start writing questions about obscure and deprecated commands that nobody ever even uses.

It's important for Linux administrators to demonstrate proficiency in using the ddate command, including knowing what %X does.

More people need to know about discordian date. Nobody in my current team does :(

Edit: not discworld lol

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 13, 2017

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

I did the delta. It's tricky and heavy on IPAM and Docker, containerization, seriously INTO new features, etc. I passed, but with a tight margin.

The MS Press official book was a good guide but you really gotta throw scenarios and stuff at it, practice harder than I did, etc. to get a better score and feel more comfortable.

I'm happy to pass on the book if a goon wants it.

You'll get some people in this thread still (reasonably, I think) recommending that you consider doing the MCSA 2008 and then the two upgrades to 2012 and 2016 so... probably a while.

I'm one of the people advising this. 2008 today is basically 2003 from a year or two ago: not cutting edge and on the way out sooner than anyone wants it to be, and with replacements not exactly driving a jump forward for most small to medium enterprises. Good to have 2012 but not a must-have yet. Get the baseline with 2008 and do the one exam to upgrade to 2012, then the one exam to 2016 once it's gone to R2 and there's better prep material out there if you like books. I can't speak for videos - I'm not the video learning type - but just lab the hell out of it as you go.

I took the 2012 upgrade in 2013 and at the time, IIRC it was more Powershell-weighted. They did away with a lot of the visuals and did expect you to know context options. Know what right-clicks do, and what they can lead into.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Speaking of RHCSA, what would be a good start for that to learn Linux stuff? I mean I have installed a Linux build on a home computer a long time ago, easy to do, but then....uh...what. It was just another Desktop OS, whoopteefuckingdoo. Where I worked there was no cross functionality between teams so I was straight networking on Cisco stuff.

Ive installed Virtual Box on my Mac and I am downloading a RHEL iso. For usage and functionality in the work place, where would one look to start getting some useful knowledge under their belt?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Lpic 1 was a tough cert for me and goes very deep into how Linux works under the hood. I would recommend following study guides to understand what you can poke around at.

If you're looking for fun stuff there's always setting up a website with PHP and a sql database and then configuring startup scripts to get it off the ground on cold boot. From command line, no gui, of course.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I set up a mud on Linux and that was pretty fun. You have to get a few things going to make it work, but I got it going with minimal experience.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MF_James posted:

Why not do ICND2 immediately then go RHCSA?

:downsgun: Duh, why didn't I even think of that?

I guess I went with that idea, other than just spacing on there even being a 2, because I figured I would be fatigued by the ICND1 coursework and would want to get more skills. Even though I was already told by an interviewer to dig down into one skillset instead of knowing a bunch of random poo poo. I feel like I'm playing serious catch up, because I want to make up for 4 years of stagnation all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

I feel like I'm playing serious catch up, because I want to make up for 4 years of stagnation all at once.

Right there with you. :smith: