Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
That depends; was your dashcam displaying GPS coords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

chrisgt posted:

nm, say someone was injured in an accident that wasn't their fault. The injuries took a couple months to heal at which time they were unable to do their job, missed out on a vacation, and were unable to perform their normal hobbies such as hiking, etc. It was also deemed that the injuries caused permanent wear and tear to the body, nothing serious at the moment, but could lead to issues down the road sooner than later.

Besides obviously compensation for wages and medical bills, is this a case worth a lawyer to seek compensation for pain and suffering, and all that stuff you can go after?

Yes. Generally, if you need more than your car fixed and a small medical bill (like one doctor visit to make sure you're not hosed), get a lawyer out of the gate.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So... this bit at the timestamp that hopefully links (1:20 if it doesn't) could have turned out a lot worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToi8YVZM8o&t=81s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thread dead so what. Everybody must be driving perfectly now, that's nice to hear. Unfortunately I have to break our winning streak.

Days without witnessing blatant dumbassery: 22 0 :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq16WyX970c

Dumb bastard cuts me off (while crossing solid white line :argh: ) and makes me dump my bag on the passenger seat to the floor, but did have his blinker on... 5/10 Dallas driver.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Police Chase White Bronco

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Somebody a while back was asking about the Street Guardian dual-camera & specs, just wanted to post it's available for pre-order now (in the USA at least)
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sg9663dc

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I went to best buy today, not a single dashcam without GPS with no indication about whether it can be disabled, so I'll be buying online. What's the goon recommended dash cam in 2017?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

qhat posted:

I went to best buy today, not a single dashcam without GPS with no indication about whether it can be disabled, so I'll be buying online. What's the goon recommended dash cam in 2017?

I'm a fan of the Dod Tech cams. I have the LS470W, and both the GPS and the speed display can be disabled. Add to that true 1080P HD video and awesome low-light capabilities (up to ISO 12800), and it's a winner in my mind. Amazon has it currently for $270.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

whee!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
How'd they even hit the van at that angle? Forget to turn with the road or something?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Exactly that! Hit a container truck (behind the van in pic 1) , then the white van, then missed me by about a foot, and ended up on the bank.

The picture quality's not as bad as it looks - I was taking a photo of a computer screen.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Takes No Damage posted:

How'd they even hit the van at that angle? Forget to turn with the road or something?

Probably going too fast, understeered, and got bitten by target fixation. OMG LOOK AT THAT VAN DON'T HIT IT! And then hit it.
He's also really close to the car infront of him, helping my theory that he was hauling rear end around that curve.
Looks like a grey day, the road may have been damp contributing to the loss of control.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Whatever you do don't hit the van, what van, that white van right there, that white van? OMG yes that van.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Locator posted:

So... this bit at the timestamp that hopefully links (1:20 if it doesn't) could have turned out a lot worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToi8YVZM8o&t=81s

After watching a lot of the videos on that channel, I have come to the following conclusion with Russian drivers:

- They have no idea of anything happening outside of their own car
- Red lights = drive faster
- Braking is for wimps
- Turning left in Russia is almost a death sentence
- Someone should check the axles in their trucks
- Anyone driving one of those old Fiat 124 looking Ladas are probably drunk and uninsured

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
- Crosswalks are mere suggestions to yield to pedestrian traffic, if you're in a hurry please feel free to either plow into them directly, or set up a bonus combo by rear-ending any poor fools that are trying to yield by stopping in the middle of the drat road like morons.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
-Yes you are driving way too fast on that snow covered road

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Not helping is that it looks like there are tons of uncontrolled intersections in Russia. a lot of the ones that are, the signs or signals aren't near as visible as they are in the US. I mean sure, the drivers are incompetent, maniacs and drunks but their roads are a nightmare.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bogatyr posted:

Not helping is that it looks like there are tons of uncontrolled intersections in Russia. a lot of the ones that are, the signs or signals aren't near as visible as they are in the US. I mean sure, the drivers are incompetent, maniacs and drunks but their roads are a nightmare.

They also have a lot of "barely marked crosswalk where pedestrians can cross a wide fast-moving road at any time with no signaling" that leads to a lot of chaos as one car mashes the brakes to not splat someone in the crosswalk.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Russia seems full of totally unmarked ped crossing you only know are there due to the break in the fence running along the median strip and cars fly past at highway speeds.

And Russians being Russians, they all just step out without looking half the time.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Not to forget that everyone runs bald as gently caress tires and have no ABS.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

And that at least half of the pedestrians are actively trying to get hit by a vehicle so they can soak up that sweet PIP.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One of my alltime favorite Russian dashcam clips is of a ped running over and diving in front of a car in an attempted insurance scam. The driver is able to stop in time, gets out, hauls the guy to his feet and punches him off the road. Just don't try that poo poo in China, they don't even try and stop and if they actually do hit you because of the way the laws work it's a coin flip if they won't just reverse and try to finish the job.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I prefer the one where the car stops, so the ped just jumps on the front of the car then bounces off and lies in the road like they've been injured.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MikeyTsi posted:

I prefer the one where the car stops, so the ped just jumps on the front of the car then bounces off and lies in the road like they've been injured.

Then get mad when the driver points to his dash cam, haha.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nope, this is the best one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Y9aNntfK8

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
Just a usual drive home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ng-WTWR3Gs

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Points deducted for following too close and not paying attention, but points awarded for keeping the shiny side up and not hitting anything/anyone.

Hopefully the very puckered rear end in a top hat for the next three days served as a lesson.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bolind posted:

Points deducted for following too close and not paying attention, but points awarded for keeping the shiny side up and not hitting anything/anyone.

Hopefully the very puckered rear end in a top hat for the next three days served as a lesson.

:lol:

This is America, dude

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was the front car's fault for slowing down too fast. Why should I change, he's the one who sucks :colbert:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://giant.gfycat.com/FairAdventurousAsianpiedstarling.webm

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
:stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Would be a fairly lovely way to start your day for sure.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Well, that was a neat and well-ordered garage at the start of the video.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Flint Ironstag posted:

I just finished organizing the garage. Time to go have a beer and watch the game with Jim.

This weather sure is something.

Oh poo poo, there goes Jim!

Oh poo poo, there goes the garage!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Flint Ironstag posted:

I noticed that it had block walls. I wonder whether it would have had any survival chance if the garage door hadn't been wide open.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Looks like they saved the car at least.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

`Nemesis posted:

goddamn 30MB video that shits my crappy aussie ADSL. 30MB is like a 5min download (if no one else in the house is using internet)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 1, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

I noticed that it had block walls. I wonder whether it would have had any survival chance if the garage door hadn't been wide open.

Garage doors are notoriously weak, and are generally one of the first things to fail in a tornado. So, no, that garage was done either way, unless that tornado had been an EF-0. You can see the roof getting peeled off of the house, and a free standing garage typically won't be built as well as a home.

Moore, Oklahoma revised their building code to require garage doors to withstand up to 135 MPH (high end EF-2 territory) winds fairly recently (2014). But that's not retroactive, and not many cities have followed suit. Just spitballing, but I'd guess that was a high end EF-1. Mayyybe an EF-2 (but I'd expect his car to have been picked up and moved some).

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Garage doors are notoriously weak, and are generally one of the first things to fail in a tornado. So, no, that garage was done either way, unless that tornado had been an EF-0. You can see the roof getting peeled off of the house, and a free standing garage typically won't be built as well as a home.

Moore, Oklahoma revised their building code to require garage doors to withstand up to 135 MPH (high end EF-2 territory) winds fairly recently (2014). But that's not retroactive, and not many cities have followed suit. Just spitballing, but I'd guess that was a high end EF-1. Mayyybe an EF-2 (but I'd expect his car to have been picked up and moved some).

My garage door is rated the same as the garage itself - 175mph. I don't know which one would fail first though, and hopefully I won't ever have to. The second garage built 30 years prior looks like it would blow in at 100mph though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My garage is an old brick carriagehouse that's had a newer roof and a garage door put on the other side from the original, and I could probably push it over.

Luckily I'm on a hill next to a valley in PA so little chance of tornadoes here