Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Tomorrow I'm going to pair sardines with sweet potatoes. That's two extremely filling superfoods I should be able to carry buildings around while running a marathon after. Maybe it's time to plan a menu around crazy healthy foods for a month or two, it would definitely do me some good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

estou sentado aqui comendo sardinhas no brinde agora mesmo

and I'm lucky cos I'm going back to portugal in a few weeks and that's the only place in the world you can eat real good sardines

I literally can't stop eating sardines.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 7, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mynameisbatman posted:

estou sentado aqui comendo sardinhas no brinde agora mesmo

and I'm lucky cos I'm going back to portugal in a few weeks and that's the only place in the world you can eat real good sardines

I literally can't stop eating sardines.

yowza

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

start eating sardines 4 real i heard it makes your dick bigger if you put olive oil on them

smear that poo poo all over you :stare:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Bad News: I lost my job a couple weeks ago

Good News: Yesterday got a letter that I should be approved for food stamps! Hell yeah gonna buy some dines!

Best News: I WON A KO ROYAL TASTER KIT, THE DINES ARE COMING TO ME FOR FREE

So about how long after winning from The King have y'all gotten your dines? I'm drooling already.

(also, you might remember me as the crazy woman who makes sardine art out of sardine cans. hmu if you want one! I could use the money)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Gonna double post (6 days later, c''mon thread, wake up!) to say my Royal Taster box arrived!

Got a coupon, a sticker, a lid (gently caress yes, so wanted one), and their new Tapatio sauce dines. Love me some Tapatio, so I can't wait to crack that open. And great timing; just got a new job, so I'll be able to weed out the cool dads from the lame ones when I have these for lunch out in the field.

All hail the king

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I always miss out on the KO promotions because I avoid Facebook

Had Trader Joe's boneless/skinless mackerel and I almost like it as much as their smoked trout. I was expecting it to be super fishy and oily but it was very tasty

My neighborhood QFC supermarket has a shameful sardine section

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My local stores have really cut back on canned fish.
Went on a hunt for some of the cracked pepper KO's and I can't find them anywhere, hell, all I can find locally lately are single layer KO's. I want my brislings dammit.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

My local Lidl had some random canned goods on the shelf, so I now have a can of smoked Karelian perch waiting for me at home. Should be interesting.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
HEB had buy two get third free on the KO 'dines and their mackerel so you best believe I loaded up. There are manufacturers coupons on the cans too that I will use to buy more.

Still kind of grossed out by the smoked ones but I have definitely acquired a taste for sardines. They need to start pushing these on dieters, they make you feel full so quickly.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't know about that, but I've stocked up on mackerel, sardines, baked beans, vegemite and sao crackers so I'm ready for some disaster that cuts power and water supply or something like living out of my car.
Mackerel is KO in olive oil, sardines are John West (cheaper than KO sardines and I like them better)
(Also have mi goreng if I happened to have fresh water and a heat source)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 14, 2017

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

bengy81 posted:

My local stores have really cut back on canned fish.
Went on a hunt for some of the cracked pepper KO's and I can't find them anywhere, hell, all I can find locally lately are single layer KO's. I want my brislings dammit.

Jalapeno KOs are my white whale, guess I'm too far out in the burbs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Radio Nowhere posted:

Jalapeno KOs are my white whale, guess I'm too far out in the burbs.

The only place I've found jalapeno KOs are at a Walmart Supercenter, and the only place I find the KO cross-pack (as opposed to the more common double-layer) is at one particular Winn-Dixie store. Both require special trips.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
bring back the rowdy trout

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The flavors of the different types of KO aren't really all that different from one another, in my opinion. If you're yearning for a certain flavor you're probably better off adding it yourself than paying a premium for a can.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Except the peppercorn ones but I don't know how you guys eat those. Tastes like anesthetic.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I love the peppercorn ones, but really I don't care about the flavors as much as I do the size. The two-layer ones are my favorite, and it makes me sad I can't find them anywhere.

I like the big Portuguese ones for making smashed sardine sandwiches though.

Edit: anybody ever try to make fish cakes with sardines? Like something that's between a salmon cake or a crab cake maybe?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

theres a will theres moe posted:

The flavors of the different types of KO aren't really all that different from one another, in my opinion. If you're yearning for a certain flavor you're probably better off adding it yourself than paying a premium for a can.

the difference is the sardines have been sitting in a sealed tin absorbing those flavors for months. adding it yourself is absolutely not the same unless you have time, patience and something to store it in yourself. And I completely disagree- there's a big difference in flavor, by a long shot.

e: the jalapeņo ones are a good example. the capsaicin in the jalapeņos are fat soluble so the heat spreads into the olive oil and the olive oil gets absorbed into the sardines over months. adding some jalapeņos yourself before eating would be nothing alike flavor-wise.

are you familiar with meat or fish or whatever that's been sitting in a marinade and how that changes the flavor? this is sort of the same idea

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 15, 2017

naem
May 29, 2011

The jalapeņo ones are really good, going to Amazon some rn

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I'm fixing to cook up something mighty dineful and eggy. Not exactly sure how I'm going to tackle this, but I will definitely inform the thread, DO NOT WORRY.

I'd be down for some input as well.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

BaconCopter posted:

I'm fixing to cook up something mighty dineful and eggy. Not exactly sure how I'm going to tackle this, but I will definitely inform the thread, DO NOT WORRY.

Make meringues and serve with 'dines.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Inkfish posted:

Make meringues and serve with 'dines.

:captainpop:

:barf:

Ok, let me add that it should be savory and palatable.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

It's too bad Sheep Goats went all diaper devastation, the OP of this thread was p neato.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

BaconCopter posted:

:captainpop:

:barf:

Ok, let me add that it should be savory and palatable.

Meringues are very palatable. Dines are savory. What the beef here?

The combination also has a veeeeeery interesting mouthfeel

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I got my KO taster's kit today with the Tapatio dines, and let me tell you they are excellent. (I've never had Tapatio sauce before).

I threw them in when I made migas tonight and it was the best thing.

My taster's kit also came with a lid to reseal a dines can, but who doesn't eat entire cans of dines?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

BaconCopter posted:

I can get breakfast tacos at my dad's work for .99 cents. I've been getting potato and egg and taking them home to put 'dines in them and they're pretty good. Well that's my recipe hope you liked it.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
What happened to sheep goats

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
As someone mentioned upthread, I've found the jalapeno KO's at Walmart, the 'neighborhood market' stores, specifically. They actually have one of the better supermarket canned fish selections that I've found near me. I haven't had any of the other KO flavors besides Mediterranean, but I'd take the jalapeno ones over them any day.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

the difference is the sardines have been sitting in a sealed tin absorbing those flavors for months. adding it yourself is absolutely not the same unless you have time, patience and something to store it in yourself. And I completely disagree- there's a big difference in flavor, by a long shot.

e: the jalapeņo ones are a good example. the capsaicin in the jalapeņos are fat soluble so the heat spreads into the olive oil and the olive oil gets absorbed into the sardines over months. adding some jalapeņos yourself before eating would be nothing alike flavor-wise.

are you familiar with meat or fish or whatever that's been sitting in a marinade and how that changes the flavor? this is sort of the same idea
It goes further than marinade (which is an eh concept except for really niche cases), everything in the can is cooked together by the canning retort. Short of getting fresh dines and cooking them with things it's just going to be adding condiments.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

cocoavalley posted:

As someone mentioned upthread, I've found the jalapeno KO's at Walmart, the 'neighborhood market' stores, specifically. They actually have one of the better supermarket canned fish selections that I've found near me. I haven't had any of the other KO flavors besides Mediterranean, but I'd take the jalapeno ones over them any day.

I hate Walmart for multiple reasons, but sometimes they have something that nobody else does, or they're the only store open late at night when I need something. And yes, they do have an excellent canned fish selection compared to Publix, Safeway, Aldi, and Target (the worst). Walmart is the only place I've ever seen KO jalapeno 'dines, KO canned mackerel (tried it but didn't love it), and thread favorite Polar kippers.

If you have a Latin or Asian market near you, though, check there for a robust canned seafood selection. I stock up on my favorite 'dines, Canario en aceite picante, at Bravo Supermarket for $1.39 per can, and they must be so obscure that you can't even find information about them online!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I hate Walmart for multiple reasons, but sometimes they have something that nobody else does, or they're the only store open late at night when I need something. And yes, they do have an excellent canned fish selection compared to Publix, Safeway, Aldi, and Target (the worst). Walmart is the only place I've ever seen KO jalapeno 'dines, KO canned mackerel (tried it but didn't love it), and thread favorite Polar kippers.

If you have a Latin or Asian market near you, though, check there for a robust canned seafood selection. I stock up on my favorite 'dines, Canario en aceite picante, at Bravo Supermarket for $1.39 per can, and they must be so obscure that you can't even find information about them online!

HEB is like Walmart but Texas only and I love it even if my goodness do they go out of their way to make sure you know how LOCAL they are. Got KO of the peppered, Mediterranean, and jalapeno variety as well as boneless and skinless and a couple kinds of KO mackerel I haven't tried yet. I'm hoping they get the Tampatico kind soon, maybe I'll request it.

But meanwhile all the Polar 'dines they have there are smoked bristlings though and all I can taste is the overpowering smoke flavor. :(

Maybe I'll check out Walmart to see what else they have in the way of canned fishes. We have two but I pretty much only go there for insulin or for $15 jeans when I don't want to mess up my nice ones.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Brislings are the tiny ones right.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Roki B posted:

He put himself in a 500 degree oven and became one with fisherman's eggs

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

pahuyuth posted:

He put himself in a 500 degree oven and became one with fisherman's eggs

It is the final duty of all 'dine dads to enter the 500° oven and become one with the fisherman's eggs.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Roki B posted:

I prefer to post on skullmund now but check in on pet threads on SA once in a while.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Is there a sardine thread on skullmund?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sirs, are Brunswick Kipper Snacks any good? I have never tried kipper before and want to branch out. I need a good starting place but the old awesome OP is deeead

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
my cat peed on my canned sardines. what does it mean?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Herr Tog posted:

my cat peed on my canned sardines. what does it mean?

Those dines belong to your cat now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Those dines belong to your cat now

gently caress