Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tatsuta Age posted:

Arowana mall plz :)

Oh dear god, no. Between Curlers, Brellas, Bubbles, Tenta Missiles, etc, it'd be even worse than it was in the original game for area-denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blackbelly Skatepark is most likely the next map to return from 1 since dataminers found part of it with Kelp Dome last month.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

g0lbez posted:

Alright legit question; if I'm bad at the game will I generally be stuck around c or b rank or do I need better teammates? Like if I'm good enough should I be able to carry the whole team or something?

Just asking cuz I like to think I'm not terrible but I've lost like 5 ranked games in a row and I don't feel I was playing that badlt

If you just started ranked, don't worry too much about it. But S+ in Splatoon 2 is honestly equivalent to B rank (with actual pro players thrown into the mix) in Splatoon 1. While C through A rank in this game is pretty much equivalent to C rank in Splatoon 1.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You would have to be really bad at the game to not be at S+ in Splatoon 2. Ranking up is ridiculously easy, and S+ can be reached if you play long enough.

I'm not at S+ and I'm bad so I guess this checks out.
I swear sometimes my bullets just pass harmlessly through enemies though, I'm not so bad at the game that I can't tell when I'm within range and aiming directly at the enemy, and then like maybe 50% of my shots hit them and it's enough time for them to turn around and immediately annihilate me at a ROF that I know is way faster than their gun can shoot. And then sometimes I have a great game and all my shots land and I destroy the enemy team several times over. Does this happen to anyone else?

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

g0lbez posted:

Alright legit question; if I'm bad at the game will I generally be stuck around c or b rank or do I need better teammates? Like if I'm good enough should I be able to carry the whole team or something?

Just asking cuz I like to think I'm not terrible but I've lost like 5 ranked games in a row and I don't feel I was playing that badlt

For what its worth, ranked mode was a nightmare when Splatoon 2 came out. My bar kept shattering in C rank because my team would always fill up with level 10s who just unlocked ranked mode for the first time ever and had no idea what they were doing. I skipped ranked mode for about a month and it's a bit better now, I'm working my way to A+ which is where I was in Splatoon 1. Just keep trying.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I do main the splatling which I heard is about as awful as a charger. I have fun though so I guess that's what ultimately matters in videogames

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

yeah dont worry about it, i main scope chargers but i still jumped from C- to B to A to A+ on all three modes. i only stopped after a particularly horrid bout of unreliable internet where i disconnected every other game and had my bar break when i was literally one win away from S (i helped our guy dunk the rainmaker then brzzzt communication error :<<<< ) and got really disheartened. maybe ill continue ranked again once i move somewhere with more reliable internet

Manuel Calavera posted:

Those two were my jam back then. Seekers were so good.

the best thing was when you throw one out randomly, it splats a bad guy and you go, 'oh i got someone... lol'

autobombs just arent as satisfying for some reason

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

g0lbez posted:

I do main the splatling which I heard is about as awful as a charger. I have fun though so I guess that's what ultimately matters in videogames

While there are some weapons that can excel in some modes, I wouldn't say there are any bad of weapon types. Now...I would say there are bad weapons. Man, I hate the Goo Tuber.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wanna know how to stop people from getting easy wins in rainmaker purely because they took a route that was completely unguarded? If you're unsure of how much map control the enemy has, open up the map every time the game says the enemy team has the Rainmaker. Pay attention to how much of the map the enemy team has painted in their ink, and try to see where exactly the enemy ink is spreading, and where the Rainmaker holder is heading. If they're trying to head for a route where your team isn't really guarding, head over there to cut them off. You'll save yourself so many headaches because the enemy team decided to sneak past your unaware rear end that way.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smiles posted:

the best thing was when you throw one out randomly, it splats a bad guy and you go, 'oh i got someone... lol'

autobombs just arent as satisfying for some reason

I mostly used them for the SPEED. Getting to mid on Arrowana, or Port Mackerel. They were good for that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I am now a member of the S+ club. Time to get my poo poo kicked in constantly by actual tournament pros! :suicide:

On a side note, the Tri-Slosher is still really good, and I feel like the nerf it got was enough to put it in line with the other weapons.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

I mostly used them for the SPEED. Getting to mid on Arrowana, or Port Mackerel. They were good for that.

oh yeah that too. i had a phase with the aerospray mg where id seeker everywhere and inkzooka everyone. it was a nice change of pace after using chargers for so long.

i guess the curling bomb is sort of similar. maybe ill try that next.

noice

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Smiles posted:

oh yeah that too. i had a phase with the aerospray mg where id seeker everywhere and inkzooka everyone. it was a nice change of pace after using chargers for so long.

i guess the curling bomb is sort of similar. maybe ill try that next.

noice

curling bombs are fun, just as great for making straight lines of ink and bouncing them around corners for splats is great.I just wish there were more weapons to use them with.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Can someone explain what the little flag, the 5, and Raw means? I think my Tentatek splattershot has the flag lit green and I don't know why.

I don't know if there was ever a UI/menu guide because there were loads of symbols I wasn't sure about for ages.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Can someone explain what the little flag, the 5, and Raw means? I think my Tentatek splattershot has the flag lit green and I don't know why.

It denotes how much you've used that weapon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Specifically, how much you've won with it. It goes up and down depending on your wins/losses. A win is always +1 I believe, whereas losses take more and more off the higher rank you are with it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know if there was ever a UI/menu guide because there were loads of symbols I wasn't sure about for ages.

It denotes how much of a winning streak you got with that particular weapon in Turf Wars. "Raw" is a ranking you receive for winning 5 Turf War matches in a row, and there are others like it. The flag also changes color at certain winning thresholds as well.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's your weapons 'rank'. It goes up after each victory you get while using that weapon, and goes down with each loss. It basically replaces the vibe meter from the original game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ranking are as follows;

0-4: Bone Dry. -0.5 on loss.
5-9: Raw. -1 on loss
10-14: Fresh. -1.5 on loss
15+: Superfresh. -2 on loss

I don't believe there's anything above superfresh correct?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Ranking are as follows;

0-4: Bone Dry. -0.5 on loss.
5-9: Raw. -1 on loss
10-14: Fresh. -1.5 on loss
15+: Superfresh. -2 on loss

I don't believe there's anything above superfresh correct?

No, but at 50 the flag turns from silver to gold.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh cool thanks. And besides the app there's no other way to check a win/loss ratio right? I haven't actually tried to download it, but I figure it won't be supported on an old phone. This is often the case.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

No, but at 50 the flag turns from silver to gold.

What?

I thought getting to 15 meant I'd reached the peak with a weapon...n-no :negative:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

mattdev posted:

When you see this much kanji, you know you're gonna get decimated.

お前はもう死んでいる

My favourite was always when there would be nobody in sight and then I would just explode and the camera would zoom to some japanese player who had already switched to Mario Maker while ink lines randomly flash across your map.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
https://mobile.twitter.com/theycallhimcake/status/908027153727533058

Want your Rainmaker, Inkling Boy?' Pearl asked. 'I only repeat myself because you really do not seem that eager.' She held it up, smiling. She was wearing a baggy silk suit with great big orange buttons. A bright tie, electric-blue, flopped down her front, and on her hands were big white gloves, like the kind Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck always wore.

Yes, sure,' Inkling Boy said, looking into the stormdrain.

And ink? I’ve got pink and green and orange and blue...'

Do they splat?'

Splat?' The clown’s grin widened. 'Oh yes, indeed they do. They splat! And there’s Crusty Sean's...'

Inkling Boy reached.

Pearl seized his arm.

And Inkling Boy saw Pearl’s face change.
What he saw then was terrible enough to make his worst imaginings of the thing in Marooner's Bay look like sweet dreams; what he saw destroyed his sanity in one clawing stroke.

They splat,' the thing in the drain crooned in a clotted, chuckling voice. It held Inkling Boy’s arm in its thick and squid-like grip, it pulled Inkling Boy toward that terrible darkness where the water rushed and roared and bellowed as it bore its cargo of storm debris toward the sea. Inkling Boy craned his neck away from that final blackness and began to scream into the rain, to scream mindlessly into the white autumn sky which curved above Sturgeon Shipyard on that day in the fall of 1957. His screams were shrill and piercing, and all up and down Inkopolis Plaza people came to their windows or bolted out onto their porches.

They splat,' it growled, 'they splat, Boy, and when you’re down here with me, you’ll splat, too–'

His shoulder socked against the cement of the curb and Inkling Girl, who had stayed home from her job at Grizzco Industries that day because of the flood, saw only a small boy in a yellow rain-slicker, a small boy who was screaming and writhing in the gutter with muddy water surfing over his face and making his screams sound bubbly.

Everything down here splats,' that chuckling, rotten voice whispered, and suddenly there was a ripping noise and a flaring sheet of agony, and Inkling Boy knew no more.

Inkling Girl was the first to get there, and although she arrived only forty-five seconds after the first scream, Inkling Boy was already splatted. She grabbed him by the back of the slicker, pulled him into the spawnpoint...and began to scream herself as his body turned over in her hands. The left side of his slicker was now bright pink. Enemy ink flowed into the stormdrain from the tattered hole where his left arm had been. A knob of tentacle, horribly bright, peeked through the torn cloth.

The boy’s eyes stared up into the white sky, and as she staggered away toward the others already running pell-mell down the Inkopolis Square, they began to fill with rain.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

drat is that how "It" is written? I should read some Stephen King (never had up till now). It reads wonderfully scarily.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

drat is that how "It" is written? I should read some Stephen King (never had up till now). It reads wonderfully scarily.

Minus all the Splatoon additions, that's a direct quote from the book. Spoilers for the very beginning of an almost 30 year old book: It's lifted from the part at the very beginning where Georgie dies.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Steven King is my favorite author to never read.
Most of his passages are amazing in isolation, but the books as a whole are just unpalatable for some reason.

Oh wait, this is the Splatoon thread.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

japanese names dont necessarily mean japanese players, i mean theres an international keyboard on the switch after all

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh cool thanks. And besides the app there’s no other way to check a win/loss ratio right? I haven’t actually tried to download it, but I figure it won’t be supported on an old phone. This is often the case.

It feels like it's just a lil shell around a web view (the iOS one does at least, but you usually only do that for easier cross-platform so the Android one probably is too), so give it a try. I can't imagine it has (legitimately) high system requirements.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

The Gorp posted:

Steven King is my favorite author to never read.
Most of his passages are amazing in isolation, but the books as a whole are just unpalatable for some reason.

Oh wait, this is the Splatoon thread.

Try some of his short stories. Dolan's Cadillac (Splatillac) is pretty good. I'm not big on reading, but I'm really enjoying "It" and I really enjoyed Dolan's Cadillac when I read it in middle school.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
King is a clunky writer at times but I also find his work really easy to binge. The pages just fly by, and not in a poo poo Dan Brown way. He's a good storyteller and world-builder.

Also that IT post is amazing

Also something else about Splatoon to make this more on-topic

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh cool thanks. And besides the app there's no other way to check a win/loss ratio right? I haven't actually tried to download it, but I figure it won't be supported on an old phone. This is often the case.

If you're ok running a computer program instead, SquidTracks is a great alternate SplatNet client that keeps track of win/loss data and a bunch of things besides

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ImprobableRepulsiveEft.webm

https://github.com/hymm/squid-tracks

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

King is a clunky writer at times but I also find his work really easy to binge. The pages just fly by, and not in a poo poo Dan Brown way. He's a good storyteller and world-builder.

Also that IT post is amazing

Also something else about Splatoon to make this more on-topic

I agree. He's kind of just a trashy author. Not in a "writing gay cowboy smut" kind of way, but in a "I know this is stupid, but it's still an extremely fun read" kind of way. It's really cool to see him build the world of Derry with random bits of useless trivia like they do in the Trails games.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Next Splatfest: Tim Curry v. Bill Skarsgård

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Everyone lost their minds over Kelp Dome but Snapper Canal looks dope as hell if you wanna splat some squidkids in the LA River.

I hope the Tenta Brella is good cause I'm gonna load up on Inkline gear and rock the hell out of it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The tenta brella isn't the weapon for this friday right (if we get one at all because of the new SR event)?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It didn't have a date but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Kelp Dome does drop Friday evening, which sucks because I wanna play it + the Salmon Run event. This game has too much content

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i really like the custom splattershot jr

i'm regularly getting ink scores competing with aerosprays but also i feel like the autobombs and ink storm can really put pressure on enemies to do stupid things

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Why couldn't we have gotten Mahi Mahi (complete with bounce pads) instead of Kelp Dome? Mind you I LOVE Kelp Dome, but only because I loved hucking waves of death over the walls in S1 when the Dynamo was good.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I hope the Tenta Brella is good cause I'm gonna load up on Inkline gear and rock the hell out of it.

Have the sweet spots for bomb def. up been mapped by the community yet? Last month, I got headgear from Grizz with 1 main and 2 subs of BDU but have held off on commiting 30 chunks to that third slot until I have a good understanding of the logical cutoffs. I like the hard-hat aesthetic for the ability that shields you from explosions and poo poo raining from above.

Also, it figures that after finishing a Special Charge Up drink to grind chunks, my Pro Trail Boots leveled with all BDU subs, so I stuck with that. Is that one of the pieces that doesn't benefit from drinks or did I get "lucky" with the rolls? Considering it's Inkline gear, it seems more than coincidental.

Lakbay posted:

1 main and 2 subs to survive 2 direct burst bombs

Cool, thanks! Is there no amount that will survive direct splat/auto/curling/suction bomb blasts or are those clamped to always deal a killing blow?

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 14, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
1 main and 2 subs to survive 2 direct burst bombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This salmon run is the first time I've used the L-3 nozzlenose and I don't get it