Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

IOwnCalculus posted:

New management just likes you better :wink:

same :D :D :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

New co-worker has a 2008 R6 that he hasn't ridden in a year since his wife won't let him...wonder how cheap he would let it go for...
"Let" him? Jesus Christ.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

https://streamable.com/1yvda

:stare:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

eat the rich

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just leave the tops off and the windows down when there's a flood likely. I'd at least close them up and hope the best for the seals.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

good

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How the gently caress high did that water get? I see it dripping off of one of the racks. :ohdear:

Enourmo posted:

Someone tell me how to sleep in my car's a/c without dying of random fumes, getting carjacked, running out of gas or getting hassled by cops

Alternately how do I rig up a generator to run on pure rage at the heat

Keep it on ac, NOT max ac (max AC on fords does recirculation, regular ac pulls fresh air). Keep a window cracked. Probably find a walmart parking lot and park kinda out toward the end of it, but still near lighting.

Shouldn't use much gas to idle.

I used to do this all the time when I worked too drat many jobs and didn't have enough hours to sleep. also did it between classes at school.

Just make sure you have no alcohol on you, in case the friendly 5-0 come a-knockin, since the keys in the ignition (even if the car is off) means you can still get popped with a DUI if you've been drinking in most states.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

This is why I no longer have friends

Are you out of stalkers, too, one hopes?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

How the gently caress high did that water get? I see it dripping off of one of the racks. :ohdear:

I hope he disconnected the batteries before the flooding...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm looking forward to him bitching about his insurance costs rising

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

That sucks, but too many people lost everything.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

New Kitty had all her girly bits cut out today.

Still doesnt like me. Tho older girly kitty is currently curled up asleep between the missus and I in bed trying to push me out from under the doona

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Enourmo posted:

Someone tell me how to sleep in my car's a/c without dying of random fumes, getting carjacked, running out of gas or getting hassled by cops

Alternately how do I rig up a generator to run on pure rage at the heat

Can't tell you how but I can tell you that one time I accidentally fell asleep while parked at like 4:00 in a contract only parking lot that became public at 5:00 and when I woke up I had a ticket. I can't decide if they did me a favor by letting me nap or if they're assholes for not giving me a chance to move.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

InitialDave posted:

"Let" him? Jesus Christ.
They have young kids. He understands wanting to see them grow up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Are you out of stalkers, too, one hopes?

That poo poo is it's own mess but I believe it is over.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

They have young kids. He understands wanting to see them grow up.
He's not going to explode the second he gets on a bike. Being sensible is one thing, being told you're not allowed to do it at all is quite another.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Do you know the pain?

The dreadful mix of frustration and resignation that comes when you mix your last bucket of quick-set drywall mud too loose?

I know that pain. And it was inside corners, too. :cry:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Seminal Flu posted:

Do you know the pain?

The dreadful mix of frustration and resignation that comes when you mix your last bucket of quick-set drywall mud too loose?

:smith:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Part of me is sad that cars of value were damaged, but most of me doesn't really car about "supercars". Those any idiot with money can buy (and apparently did). If it were a bunch of vintage muscle cars, race cars, or customs, I might be more concerned.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Keep it on ac, NOT max ac (max AC on fords does recirculation, regular ac pulls fresh air). Keep a window cracked. Probably find a walmart parking lot and park kinda out toward the end of it, but still near lighting.

Shouldn't use much gas to idle.

I used to do this all the time when I worked too drat many jobs and didn't have enough hours to sleep. also did it between classes at school.

Just make sure you have no alcohol on you, in case the friendly 5-0 come a-knockin, since the keys in the ignition (even if the car is off) means you can still get popped with a DUI if you've been drinking in most states.

Or public intoxication, even, which is bullshit (a friend of my wife's got popped for PI while trying to sleep it off in his car, rather than driving drunk.)

Additional note: you've got a P71, so the ECU should be calibrated for extended idling without damage, not that it would really hurt any modern cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Do you know the pain?

That's why I get the pre-mixed poo poo :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's why I get the pre-mixed poo poo :)

Premix for second and final coats, hot mud for covering tape...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I'm still without power, I've been living in my car during the day and sweating balls at night. The two exposed walls of my apartment, that have windows, have windbreaks (a line of trees/the neighboring building, respectively) so airflow is fuckall.

It would be easier to keep perspective if everyone was without power, but the front half of my complex, the apartments next door behind the trees, and the shopping center across the street all have had power since Monday night. It's a bit more frustrating to step out of my dark, hot apartment and see lights/hear air conditioners for 360 degrees around me.

Apparently just the 10 buildings on the back road of my complex are on a different line, and require a replacement fuse instead of flipping a substation breaker or whatever. So since it needs a replacement part, I can probably expect power back around.... oh, February maybe? (They say by Sunday but it's a long 4 days)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I think the waterline isn't really that high, you're seeing drips off the garage doors... I think.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Darchangel posted:

Part of me is sad that cars of value were damaged, but most of me doesn't really car about "supercars". Those any idiot with money can buy (and apparently did). If it were a bunch of vintage muscle cars, race cars, or customs, I might be more concerned.
I care, even if the owner doesn't (because really there's no loss to them as they'd get an insurance payout), but to others, that's less of the cars around for them in the future. For the owner they'd probably come out ahead

I found out tonight you can get car body bags for floods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXt6OGUu50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2ij8zAwTA

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 14, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I'm still without power, I've been living in my car during the day and sweating balls at night. The two exposed walls of my apartment, that have windows, have windbreaks (a line of trees/the neighboring building, respectively) so airflow is fuckall.

It would be easier to keep perspective if everyone was without power, but the front half of my complex, the apartments next door behind the trees, and the shopping center across the street all have had power since Monday night. It's a bit more frustrating to step out of my dark, hot apartment and see lights/hear air conditioners for 360 degrees around me.

Apparently just the 10 buildings on the back road of my complex are on a different line, and require a replacement fuse instead of flipping a substation breaker or whatever. So since it needs a replacement part, I can probably expect power back around.... oh, February maybe? (They say by Sunday but it's a long 4 days)

Wow man that sucks hope you get it back soon. I think it's kind of bullshit that they focus on businesses first, at least that's what it seems like they've been doing around here. My mother in law still doesn't have power at her trailer park so she's here with us for now. She's pretty much just happy her home didn't get destroyed, it could have been a lot worse so just keep that perspective. Loss of power for awhile sucks, but at least you still have a home.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
gently caress Comcast, and gently caress Verizon too.

I just had to set up a Comcast account because they're the only internet provider in my new neighborhood.
Verizon dug handholes and put access panels in everyone's yard but apparently never ran fiber.

The only packages they offer are 100Mbps or 50Mbps. gently caress.
That means the BEST upload speed I can hope for is like 10-12Mbps.

It's gonna take 3.6 years to sync my NAS to my S3 bucket.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, it's tough when it everyone around you has power and you don't. Those people are usually the angriest. When a whole neighborhood is out, everyone deals better.

It's an unfortunate reality of protection schemes and the effort to work on the biggest outages first. =/

Last year for Matthew, I worked 16 hr days getting other peoples lights on, to come home to a dark house and no running water for the first 5 days. I drove past everyone's house lit up, and the part that was hot stopped a half mile from my house. Not a drat thing I could do about it, my whole substation was out because the 69kv transmission line was down.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress Comcast, and gently caress Verizon too.

I just had to set up a Comcast account because they're the only internet provider in my new neighborhood.
Verizon dug handholes and put access panels in everyone's yard but apparently never ran fiber.

The only packages they offer are 100Mbps or 50Mbps. gently caress.
That means the BEST upload speed I can hope for is like 10-12Mbps.

It's gonna take 3.6 years to sync my NAS to my S3 bucket.

wow that's pick it up and take to a friends for initial sync poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My future forever home will have a whole house generator running off a natural gas line, a stirling generator with groundwater heat sink to power a few box fans if that somehow fails, and large windows and doors so I can get a decent draft though the house from any angle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna live in a a box.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I care, even if the owner doesn't (because really there's no loss to them as they'd get an insurance payout), but to others, that's less of the cars around for them in the future. For the owner they'd probably come out ahead

I mean, it's a shame about the money lost, but I never really cared about modern Ferraris, and slightly more about Lambos. To me they're just really expensive cars that I will never own or be able to drive. for the $$ involved, I'd rather by a half-dozen of something else. Obviously, I'm getting old and crotchety. I'm not even sure what those cars actually are.
Classic Ferraris on the other hand...

quote:

I found out tonight you can get car body bags for floods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXt6OGUu50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2ij8zAwTA

Those are pretty cool. They even thought of bumper pads and a tie down to keep them from floating off.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

My future forever home will have a whole house generator running off a natural gas line, a stirling generator with groundwater heat sink to power a few box fans if that somehow fails, and large windows and doors so I can get a decent draft though the house from any angle.

I'm definitely going to think about a permanent generator when I get a bit more land/move out of town a bit.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I'm gonna live in a van down by the river.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Enourmo posted:

Or solar + battery backup. Probably makes more sense to do that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Or solar + battery backup. Probably makes more sense to do that.

Size wise, a Generator is always going to be a better emergency power setup. Solar and Batteries is better for offsetting daily normal use.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wanted a 2-3K watt generator for emergency purposes but then noticed my fridge supposedly takes up to a 7A @ 115V ... so I'm questioning the value of getting one if I can't even power our fridge or probably deep freeze with it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I wanted a 2-3K watt generator for emergency purposes but then noticed my fridge supposedly takes up to a 7A @ 115V ... so I'm questioning the value of getting one if I can't even power our fridge or probably deep freeze with it.

You can run both on a 2-3K Watt generator, just not much else. That's roughly ~800 Watts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

oh god, that makes more sense. I was multiplying it in my head by 1150 instead of 115 :downs:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wowza, I was cleaning the bathroom and I think two of the cleaners mixed and the fumes nearly killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mixing cleaners is typically not a good thing to do.

So question about generators... what's the benefit of a "inverter" type generator versus a cheaper plain type generator? Is it that the power/wave is much cleaner, stable and better for electronics?

• Locked thread